Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Would you consider golfers athletes?

Big money

Probably the best response. Most amateurs playing golf regularly are not athletes by any stretch - they kid themselves by calling themselves athletes...

Another incredible subject to discuss. Let's go back to the beginning and start with the definition of athlete per Webster's.

1 : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina.

One could argue to play golf at the highest level an individual utilizes all the skills required to satisfy the book definition of athlete. Keep in mind the definition utilizes the conjunction “or” and not “and” so to fully satisfy the requirements of the definition to be defined as an athlete you must possess at least one and not all of the aforementioned attributes.

There is no denying that some athletes are more athletic than others. There is also no denying that some sports require greater or different athletic ability than other sports as do some positions within a specific sport require greater or different athletic ability than other positions.

The other two operative words in the definition are “trained or skilled”. If I am having a cookout and the boys and I decide to play a little three on three in the back yard we are participating in an athletic event but our shear participation alone does not make us athletes. It is the demonstration of skill, physical strength, agility, or stamina that make the athlete.

To play golf you do not have to be a good athlete. To play golf well you do have to be a good athlete. Michael Jordan is without question one of the greatest athletes the world has ever known. He has access to the best golf equipment and has received lessons from world renown golf instructors yet he is still just a very average Golfer. In contrast Tony Romo who by definition (speed, strength, agility) is not a better athlete than Michael Jordan yet he is a much superior golfer. I am sure most of you have seen Charles Barkley (hall of fame athlete) attempt to swing a golf club. If you have not you should because it is a treat.

So are all golfers athletes? No. However, I am and always have been a good athlete. I played college football and basketball. I am now a better than average (not much) golfer. I believe golf has been the most difficult of all the sports I've played to master and definitely the most unforgiving. Golf takes great skill, strength, coordination and stamina to play well. It takes an athlete to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Well....... I play golf. I'm almost 59. I would NOT call myself an athlete. I was a very good athlete in my younger days. I competed for many years in Martial Arts and Tennis.

I can still go out and play golf... even though getting out of bed is sometimes a painful endeavor. I can't play tennis with any kind of skill or stamina these days, and I sure as hell can't compete in Martial Arts any more! 

Are golfers athletes? (the largest %)........... not in the true meaning of the word... IMO.

Edit:       I will give the nod to some of the pro golfers that have a serious workout routine, and take being fit serious.

I'm sorry but by this argument CC Sabbathia wasn't an athlete when he was actually a great one albeit it not in the greatest shape. 

True, but...... quite a few of MLB pitchers fit the same mold. All they do is throw, they don't have the same routine as the rest of the team... just sayin'.  ;)

Definition of athlete

1 : a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Golf doesn't require strength, agility or stamina. Most professionals and some amateurs improve their (golf) performance by working out, and they're athletes as a result - not simply because they play golf.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/athlete

Exactly, thanks for proving the point - golfers are athletes by this definition - it is a sport that requires strength, agility and stamina.

The definition doesn't say as much strength, agility and stamina as a certain standard, it says it requires them - golf requires them - it's undeniable that it does. Golfers are athletes including those of us who play and are a part of this forum - we may be terrible athletes but those who are playing golf are involved in an athletic endeavor.

CC Sabbathia was All State in Ohio in Football, Basketball and Baseball, Silver and Black. Not bad for a fat guy. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Your offending athletes everywhere with this topic

I consider myself an athlete (and a pretty good one at that) and I am not at all offended. We are discussing the definition of the word athlete and how to applies to golf. While golf doesn't take the brute strength of wrestling or boxing, it does take more athleticism, to play well, than you realize. The weekend hacker may not be a golf athlete but someone who plays and practices day in and day out are athletes. Distance runners aren't muscle balls but they are athletes. Golf requires a different blend of mental and physical athleticism than other sports. This does not preclude golf from being an "athletic sport".

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I consider myself an athlete (and a pretty good one at that) and I am not at all offended. We are discussing the definition of the word athlete and how to applies to golf. While golf doesn't take the brute strength of wrestling or boxing, it does take more athleticism, to play well, than you realize. The weekend hacker may not be a golf athlete but someone who plays and practices day in and day out are athletes. Distance runners aren't muscle balls but they are athletes. Golf requires a different blend of mental and physical athleticism than other sports. This does not preclude golf from being an "athletic sport".

Very well said

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It's an age old debate.Any many still don't recognize this great game as an athletic endeavor.

What is your thoughts on this?

many of them absolutely, others heck no!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Just watch other athletes try and play golf... Some are ok, but most are awful. Since we all play we know how hard the game is so yes, golfers are athletes. I played all sports except golf and this takes a special kind of athlete to play this game. It test all facet's of your physical and mental game. And like middler said, look up the definition of an athlete. Basketball, football, and baseball came easy to me because I was a "natural athlete", this sport does not and that's the test a true athlete needs.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I've been thinking about this, and the conclusion I've come to is... by definition of athlete, yes. By what a lot of us see as an athlete, no.

There is no way John Daly is an athlete. He is a pretty good golfer, though.

Charles Barkley was a great athlete, but he sucks at golf.

I suppose it's all perception on one's part.

Ed, I can see how you would draw this conclusion.The video you recorded for me helping develop a work out routine (which i so appreciated ). Which was of you working out was beyond impressive.Your a true monster of muscle and would intimidate many at my golf facility.Your multi sport oriented thru your life where many of us are not.Remember this is a golf forum and many work at this just like an athlete in another sport would.In my opinion your still new too this game.Your outlook of this being a non athletic sport will change when you play more.Just by first hand perspective your arms and body are way overly developed for golf.Its more a flexibility sport vs a Mr Olympia build which you have.You will find that some of the Better AMs you play with have crazy flexibility.Instead of a mass muscle look

Good luck on your weight loss Big Money. I hope my info helps you on your quest. But when I think athlete, I think in shape and fit . As I said before, multi sports faceted. Looking at pictures of Rory and Tiger when many golfers say they were ripped isn't what I consider an athletic build. They still both look weak too me. Rory looks like he wouldn't last an hour in a cross fit gym. Again , observation ,,, but golfers are just so weak and feeble looking body wise. And I don't see the flexibility either. It's more technique verus athletics

Keep it in the short stuff

Golf is now an Olympic Sport. If you are in the Olympics and are competing in a sport, you stay in the "athletes village". While not in the Summer Olympics, Curling is an Olympic Sport, and as such, Curlers are athletes as well.

Put another way, who is in better shape - a golfer who just walked 7 miles to play 18 holes, while carrying a 20+ pound bag in the process, sometimes up and down really hilly conditions, or the baseball player who stands in left field for 9 innings, scratches his nuts for 8 of those innings doing nothing but staring at home plate, and chases after a handful of fly balls; meanwhile sitting on the bench, except for 4 or 5 times a game when they step up to the plate a swing a bat maybe a dozen times a game tops, and is successful maybe once or twice a game if he is lucky. And let's face it, if Jon Lester is considered an athlete, then so are golfers. I bet Lester couldn't even run a mile before passing out.

Also keep in mind that all professional golfers walk at least 18 holes every day, probably 6 days a week at minimum, not even counting range time. Frankly, I think it's much harder to play golf then it is to play baseball. Many more swings in golf, and a lot more exercise walking the course, versus standing in the field scratching your nuts for 9 innings.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I'm on the fence with this one. IMHO it doesn't require brute force strength hitting a 300 yard shot.It's more technique verus athleticism.

A true athletic sport for me is a physically fit specimen. One who can play multiple activities with their abilities. Ive never met a group of weaker out of shape people than golfers. It's almost like this group tends gravitating towards golf. Maybe the only ‘sport' they can do physically. I've always bitten my tounge when playing amateur golf with others. But boy you all are some weak out of shape people. I've grown up around many athletes. And you golfers just aren't it. Don't get me wrong, golf is a hard hard game . But I'm getting better thru proper technique versus natural athletic ability. This is more a book smart game and maybe why the golfer is more financially focused. Where a true athlete is more about focusing solely on body and their sport.How many times have you ran into a poor sector of a city being golfers. They are out there working their tails off at sports getting them out of that situation.

I'm 50 years old and work a full time job. Golf is one of the few sports I can play on my own, when I find the time. Swimming is another solo activity for us athletes. Sure, when I was in the Marine Corps we'd walk out the barracks and there would be 6 or 8 guys there ready for a quick pick up game of basketball. In my 20's I had friends who would play racquetball, but for both of those sports you need others to participate.

Just this past Saturday I witnessed a very obese 70+ something man fall out of a golf cart and quit playing after 6 holes. Even with him riding in a cart he was huffing and puffing just from the cart to his ball. So I would simply say that in this situation, his athletic ability to play golf is gone.

I reject your premise of golfers not being athletes based on this alone. Put another way, there are a lot of people I know who don't play the game and never will, mostly because they are too lazy to want to even ride around a golf course and chase a little white ball for 18 holes. It is too much exercise for them to even consider. In fact, I tried to get my son interested in golf by sending him to golf camp for a week one summer years ago. He left that week of golf camp complaining about being so hot and sweaty from golf. He never played the game ever again because he didn't like to sweat. I don't know where you live, but down here in the summer I sweat my ass off on any given day. Last Saturday I walked off the course completely drenched in sweat. And that was with riding in the cart for 18 holes. I can't even consider walking 18 holes in the summer heat down here. Trust me, I've done it, and you lose so much body fluid even after a few holes that you'll spend your entire time on the course drinking water and fluids just trying to keep up with the amount of water you are sweating off.

Golf is a sport, whose competitors are athletes, period.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

You can twist the definition to your hearts content and call yourself whatever you want. I've played with 80 and 90-somethings - they don't have the strength, agility or stamina of a 3-year old...

They obviously have some strength, agility and stamina if they can swing a club and play golf. The needed level of each will vary by sport and those who have the higher levels will usually be the most successful.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You can twist the definition to your hearts content and call yourself whatever you want. I've played with 80 and 90-somethings - they don't have the strength, agility or stamina of a 3-year old...

I read back through the many posts on both sides of the discussion to attempt to gain a little bit of understanding as to why folks feel the way they do. In the middle of my review the light bulb kind of went on.

I believe most of us on either side of the discussion are saying basically the same thing but We are just not seeing the forest for the trees. Maybe this will help...... the word athlete speaks to the participant with no regard to his or her ability. If you go to the Special Olympics it is announced, “athletes to your starting line”. While these incredible individuals are in fact athletes their level of athletic ability is very basic. You see athlete speaks to the individual and the work being conducted. Athletic speaks to the aptitude and or level of performance.

So the bigger question is, must you be athletic to play golf? To middler's point no annnnd yes While golf does not require you to be athletic to participate, to play well at a high level you absolutely must be athletic.

I'm 54 years old. I run everyday and can still run between 630 to 7 min miles for 5 miles. I participate in CrossFit, biking and boxing on a regular basis. When last tested I did 82 push-ups in two minutes, 78 sit-ups in two minutes and finished the two mile run in 14 minutes 23 seconds. I walk 18 holes two days a week and ride 18 one day a week.

Am I an athlete? You bet cha! Am I athletic? I would say the answer to that question is up for debate. The quick answer from my standpoint is I am not athletic I am trained. From a God given abilities standpoint I've never been the fastest, strongest or even most flexible person. I'm average in all those areas but I've got great hand-eye coordination and a committed work ethic.

From the shear amount of balls I've hit on the range I should be a much better golfer. However, as I have confessed I'm not a very athletic person. So does it take athletic ability to play golf? It doesn't take much to play in my opinion but just like any sport when talent (athleticism) and work ethic come together you get athletic athletes who achieve peek performance.

I have walked along the golf course with the worlds best male and female professional golfers. The overwhelming majority of them are not only good athletes they are very athletic as well. Yes there are outliers in every sport whose athletic ability is limited to specialized talents but I suggest they possess athletic ability that is just not required by the specific specialty. Most professional pitchers were multi sport stars growing up and prior to focusing on one specific area of athletic performance.

If you play golf on any level 8 to 80 blind crippled or crazy......you are an athlete. If you play golf at a very high level then you are probably pretty doggone athletic as well.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

As said in prior posts,Tiger changed that stigma and it continues with a lot of young players out there now on the tour. So many golfers out there with great athleticism and the bodies to match. I so much envy Roy. what a physique. The days of the physiques of Stadler or Daley are becoming rare out there. As well,I don't think this question applies to us recreational golfers out there playing for pleasure or self enjoyment in a non-competitive environment. Does it?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Good luck on your weight loss Big Money. I hope my info helps you on your quest. But when I think athlete, I think in shape and fit . As I said before, multi sports faceted. Looking at pictures of Rory and Tiger when many golfers say they were ripped isn't what I consider an athletic build. They still both look weak too me. Rory looks like he wouldn't last an hour in a cross fit gym. Again , observation ,,, but golfers are just so weak and feeble looking body wise. And I don't see the flexibility either. It's more technique verus athletics

Big Ed.You really need to be around golf more in general.Ive witnessed guys who look as thin as willow tree branches just hit the ball a mile.Are they weak and feeble? Perhaps.But they just have a golfer type of strength.Many of the people that post here aren't gym rats like you.Instead of spending 3 plus hours a day in a gym like you.They are spending 3 plus hours daily playing and grooving their motions.Personally your build may make playing at a high level impossible.That super jacked look isn't needed and almost an hindurance in golf.Your life hobby is fitness and lifting weights.Golf is a completely different animal from the realm you are used to

Don't take this as a negative.Your a good dude brother.Ive considered myself always more built looking to most golfers I play with.But that has no bearing on anything.They usually just bomb it by me every time out.Would i want to trade bodies with them in my prime? Hell no.But I sure would love having their swing and games

Big Ed.You really need to be around golf more in general.Ive witnessed guys who look as thin as willow tree branches just hit the ball a mile.Are they weak and feeble? Perhaps.But they just have a golfer type of strength.Many of the people that post here aren't gym rats like you.Instead of spending 3 plus hours a day in a gym like you.They are spending 3 plus hours daily playing and grooving their motions.Personally your build may make playing at a high level impossible.That super jacked look isn't needed and almost an hindurance in golf.Your life hobby is fitness and lifting weights.Golf is a completely different animal from the realm you are used to

Don't take this as a negative.Your a good dude brother

Couldn't agree more. I am 6' 1" 135lbs. I can hit it 290-300. I have the Chesson Headly build.😁

I guarantee you that if I put on muscule from lifting wieghts or spending time in the gym my distance would plummet. I have the golfer strength not weight training strength. I would never claim to be a gym rat or weight strong.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Couldn't agree more. I am 6' 1" 135lbs. I can hit it 290-300. I have the Chesson Headly build.😁

I guarantee you that if I put on muscule from lifting wieghts or spending time in the gym my distance would plummet. I have the golfer strength not weight training strength. I would never claim to be a gym rat or weight strong.

very jealous.Ive always been physically strong.Ive taken lessons and clinics for golf my whole life.On video and TrackMan my numbers are pretty good.The clubhead speed and ball speed stinks. I've never had is that golfer strength speed.I don't care how much yoga or jogging I do.Ive just never had it.Was born a short knocker and will die one

I'd answer with another question. Is amateur golf a sport or a social leisure activity?

For those four-wheeling in carts carrying a cooler full of beer; smoking, hitting on the cart girl, etc, I'd say are there for the social aspect.

Now someone walking the course, hydrating when necessary with water, not alcohol, and concentrating on every shot to score as low as their abilities allow, well, they are athletes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

No but they are still athletes - the question is are golfers athletes, not if they are good or great athletes.

Sports illustrated has named Golfers Athletes of the year BTW. They would have to be considered experts over any of us.

But take heart because actually the question is, “Do you consider Golfers to be athletes so no one is wrong.” So anyone answering this question is correct yes or no - can't be wrong.

I take words literally BTW unless the text suggests otherwise - my life is about words. Im fairly well versed at analyzing words in three different languages, two of them ancient. I'm not twisting them I'm simply expositing their meaning.

By Webster's definition golfers are clearly athletes and is means is. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Golf is now an Olympic Sport. If you are in the Olympics and are competing in a sport, you stay in the "athletes village". While not in the Summer Olympics, Curling is an Olympic Sport, and as such, Curlers are athletes as well.

Put another way, who is in better shape - a golfer who just walked 7 miles to play 18 holes, while carrying a 20+ pound bag in the process, sometimes up and down really hilly conditions, or the baseball player who stands in left field for 9 innings, scratches his nuts for 8 of those innings doing nothing but staring at home plate, and chases after a handful of fly balls; meanwhile sitting on the bench, except for 4 or 5 times a game when they step up to the plate a swing a bat maybe a dozen times a game tops, and is successful maybe once or twice a game if he is lucky. And let's face it, if Jon Lester is considered an athlete, then so are golfers. I bet Lester couldn't even run a mile before passing out.

Also keep in mind that all professional golfers walk at least 18 holes every day, probably 6 days a week at minimum, not even counting range time. Frankly, I think it's much harder to play golf then it is to play baseball. Many more swings in golf, and a lot more exercise walking the course, versus standing in the field scratching your nuts for 9 innings.

I bet you you'd be stunned by what Jon Lester could do.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

You don't need to be an athlete to play golf.

You need to be an athlete to play most major sports.

There are a select few who can be successful in golf without being athletic but to achieve long term sustainable success being athletic is a critical component.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I'd answer with another question. Is amateur golf a sport or a social leisure activity?

For those four-wheeling in carts carrying a cooler full of beer; smoking, hitting on the cart girl, etc, I'd say are there for the social aspect.

Now someone walking the course, hydrating when necessary with water, not alcohol, and concentrating on every shot to score as low as their abilities allow, well, they are athletes.

I ride in a cart....with a cooler and beer. I don't smoke... never have. I try to play as well as I can. I don't hit on the cart girls... They are too young...lol.

As with anything, there are exceptions to the rules/perceived norms. I was a very good athlete in my younger days. I have back,hip and shoulder problems these days, which keeps me from carrying a bag for 18 holes. I can still walk the course with a push cart, but no one I play with wants to walk... besides... where would I keep the cooler with beer?  :D

I ride in a cart....with a cooler and beer. I don't smoke... never have. I try to play as well as I can. I don't hit on the cart girls... They are too young...lol.

As with anything, there are exceptions to the rules/perceived norms. I was a very good athlete in my younger days. I have back,hip and shoulder problems these days, which keeps me from carrying a bag for 18 holes. I can still walk the course with a push cart, but no one I play with wants to walk... besides... where would I keep the cooler with beer? :D

No, don't get me wrong. Guys can play and be athletic with carts and beer, but they are obviously enjoying a social aspect during their round as well, so they aren't playing fully as an athlete at they highest level of which they are capable.

Many are out there simply to get loaded and see if they can flip a golf cart.

But I guess that's really the great thing about the game, you can choose to make each round as athletic or leisurely as you like.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

We are talking past one another -

People are trying to impose a perception of what an athlete is supposed to be on the matter. That's not the question. If that were the question very few golfers would be able to compete in a sport outside of their own at a high level. But then again how many athletes in other sports have succeeded in crossing over to golf?

Golf takes a certain athletic skill set that very few people possess, just as playing soccer, basketball, baseball, football, cycling, swimming, running, skiing, etc. posses skill sets.

I wish we'd stop trying to answer the question of are golfers elite athletes. It's not what the OP asked. A few might be but I wouldn't know because their sport doesn't call for the obvious markers that one looks for. Most of them are fit but there are plenty of fit people who aren't great athletes.

Webster's and Sports illustrated have answered the question - golfers are athletes.

I agree that it's unlikely that they are elite ones.

Next topic - are race horses athletes. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

....I wonder what golfers on tour (web/pga/champions/mackenzie/european,etc.) would say if you asked them that question?

Koepka, DJ, Rory, Tiger... absolutely.

JDaly, Calc, Boo.... maybe not??

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I believe that golfers are real athletes, even the fats ones driving carts and smoking cigars.

Even me in a back brace having problems picking up balls on the practice green.

Having once been a boy getting his nose reshaped in the boxing ring, I can attest that such things hurt a lot less than picking up balls on a practice green.

However, the current world's greatest athlete is clearly not a golfer. 

The current world's greatest athlete, as far as I'm concerned, is Joey Chestnut.

I thought that Kobayashi was great, but this kid is unbelievable.

Looked it up in Merriam-Webster:

-a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina

Yes, in playing golf we/you are athletes. That doesn't make us good ones or physically fit ones, but that's not required for the title  ;) 

Speaking of, almost time to get my workout in. Good thing it's Friday, 12 oz curls day.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Archived