TESTERS WANTED! ×

When a Most Wanted Club isn't working

GolfSpy MPR

OK, that's better.

Just finished a round in which I had 14 putts (with one chip-in). Game Golf said I gained .2 strokes against a scratch golfer with my putting (and for a 15-handicap, that's really good). I've been working with the Evnroll on distance control, doing some ladder drills on my basement green. That was my focus today: I'd place the putter on my aim line, and then during the stroke, I was only thinking about rolling the ball a certain distance.

Like @cksurfdude noted above, I'm a fan of softer faces, and I think that's the adjustment I need to make here. After I set my alignment, and being able to feel the face in my hands with the P2, I need to give all my attention to speed.

Yep!  If you trust the line you read, then there is no reason to think about it anymore.  Speed is critical.  This was why I started looking at the hole and not the ball.  I'm only thinking about speed because I've lined up the ball and my putter to that line already.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yep! If you trust the line you read, then there is no reason to think about it anymore. Speed is critical. This was why I started looking at the hole and not the ball. I'm only thinking about speed because I've lined up the ball and my putter to that line already.

Sorry, going to thread jack a little bit here.

I agree that if you line it up and trust the line, all you have to worry about is speed. Speed is probably the most important part of putting.

But if you look at the hole you might know how hard to hit it but wouldn't you miss hit the putt more often resulting in worse distance control? If you look at the ball wouldn't you have more consistent strikes leading to a consistent smash factor? Couldn't you just say, hit this like a 10 footer and never even see how far the hole is?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Sorry, going to thread jack a little bit here.

I agree that if you line it up and trust the line, all you have to worry about is speed. Speed is probably the most important part of putting.

But if you look at the hole you might know how hard to hit it but wouldn't you miss hit the putt more often resulting in worse distance control? If you look at the ball wouldn't you have more consistent strikes leading to a consistent smash factor? Couldn't you just say, hit this like a 10 footer and never even see how far the hole is?

I used to look at the ball, and I didn't hit it in the center of the putter all the time anyway.  I hear people complain about that here on the forums that look at the ball.  Now, because I have confidence that I can get the ball near the cup, I have a repeatable stroke and I rarely miss my line.  Sure, I may mis-hit the ball occasionally, but it's not like it's out on the heel or toe; maybe off-center a little.  My issue when I looked at the ball was it seemed that I forgot how far the ball was from the cup, and I never had the correct speed.  Now I have good speed control, and I make many more putts than I used to.  I typically have 28-31 putts per round depending on how well my short game is that day.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I used to look at the ball, and I didn't hit it in the center of the putter all the time anyway. I hear people complain about that here on the forums that look at the ball. Now, because I have confidence that I can get the ball near the cup, I have a repeatable stroke and I rarely miss my line. Sure, I may mis-hit the ball occasionally, but it's not like it's out on the heel or toe; maybe off-center a little. My issue when I looked at the ball was it seemed that I forgot how far the ball was from the cup, and I never had the correct speed. Now I have good speed control, and I make many more putts than I used to. I typically have 28-31 putts per round depending on how well my short game is that day.

Okay, I suppose I have never practiced enough with it. I have just tried once or twice. I could see that it would lead to a more repeatable stroke. I guess that just shows the individuality of the game. I am glad you have found something that works for you.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Okay, I suppose I have never practiced enough with it. I have just tried once or twice. I could see that it would lead to a more repeatable stroke. I guess that just shows the individuality of the game. I am glad you have found something that works for you.

Well, it was NOT easy to do.  It's not something you try once or twice.  I made a commitment because I was really bad at putting; couldn't get any worse so why not.  I could do 3-4 footers and less fairly easily because I could still see the ball out of the corner of my eye.  When that felt comfortable, I moved back.  That was harder, but I stuck with it; just had to trust it.  I remember that it took all summer for long putts to feel comfortable.  I found that it was fairly easy to 2-putt.  That was worth it right there!!

OK, enough about my foibles.  Back on topic, sorry!

• 1 month later...

OK, making real progress now. Here's my Game Golf strokes gained (actually, lost) for my last 5 rounds vs. my last 15:

putting.jpg

Over time, I've become familiar enough with the head shape and lines that they have begun to fade from focus during putting. The P2 grip, for me, is now my go-to grip. Flat sides, like a Flat Cat, but with a better aesthetic. In addition the way the grip forces my hands into ulnar deviation is useful to my stroke.

I've added a couple of other drills that seem to be paying dividends. I've practiced putting while standing on balance discs (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LR0XLI4). This is obnoxious, but it is astonishing how balanced a stance I have after getting back on solid ground. Also, I've been working with EyeLine Golf's Balls of Steel (https://eyelinegolf.com/products/ball-of-steel-3-pack). These have really given me a more confident stroke on the 3–5 foot putts that I generally hate.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

• 3 months later...