Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

$200 for a Wedge?

LongIronFrenzy

I just tried the new Ping Glide Forged today and they felt really good! However, I'm wondering how many people are going to put these in the bag considering that they are going to retail for near the $200 mark? Just not sure that people are going to forgo the Vokeys and MD4s for a Ping wedge at 40-60 bucks more. But, I've been wrong before.

IMG_0554.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think at only 40 bucks more many people will buy them. That is IF they preform better. If they preform better I would definitely spend $40 for a better performing club, especially considering wedges are one of the most important parts of the game.

I guarantee you many people would pay $40 for a better driver even for 2 more yards. And those 2 yards are no where near as important as wedges.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Just a thought, but maybe a wedge is worth two hundred bucks if you can't get one that you like as much for $199.99 or less.

Right now, Mizuno S18s are my favorites among the current new models with Titleist SM7's next.  

I'm really big on lots of loft/bounce offerings.

Glides and Equalizers are both very handsome and  seemingly well crafted clubs,

but neither were crafted with my swing and the insufficient variety of shots that I know how to hit in mind.

Back in the day, I would mix and match Cleveland's three distinct head shapes--the 485, 588, and 691. Again, lots of choices. The first big wave of Vokeys emulated that Cleveland three head shape concept.

$200 is gonna be the new benchmark for wedges as they are the new irons.

How many people buy iron sets of 5-PW or even 6-PW these days? You are no longer buying an iron set of 8 clubs and supplementing with a hybrid and a couple of wedges. Guys are carrying more wedges as bomb and gouge, driver/wedge club selection has become prevalent.

The OEMs are cashing in on jacked lofts since the consumer now needs to buy 3 or 4 wedges to cover their higher lofts since the PW is now 43*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I think at only 40 bucks more many people will buy them. That is IF they preform better. If they preform better I would definitely spend $40 for a better performing club, especially considering wedges are one of the most important parts of the game.

I guarantee you many people would pay $40 for a better driver even for 2 more yards. And those 2 yards are no where near as important as wedges.

I see this all the time. People spending well over the total amount of three of these wedges would cost. Plus you are going to play these wedges, in a normal round, a lot more than a new driver. I just figured people wouldn't even try these because they weren't the main players in the wedge market.

this includes customization as well. I think that is why the high price. I think?

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

$200 is gonna be the new benchmark for wedges as they are the new irons.

How many people buy iron sets of 5-PW or even 6-PW these days? You are no longer buying an iron set of 8 clubs and supplementing with a hybrid and a couple of wedges. Guys are carrying more wedges as bomb and gouge, driver/wedge club selection has become prevalent.

The OEMs are cashing in on jacked lofts since the consumer now needs to buy 3 or 4 wedges to cover their higher lofts since the PW is now 43*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, hey, hey, they're not all “that” jacked, after all, the Cleveland CBX iron set PW is at a floppy 44*........ and I just replaced mine with a 46* CBX wedge bent to 45*

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

It is what it is -

Wedges are extremely important, if you map out the clubs that you use and their effectiveness you may discover that they are more important as a group than your irons. Lots of people drop over a grand on their irons and then those clubs become a detriment to their ability to score. :).

Why not another 600 on the three wedges beneath them?

Seriously I think 199 will be the number. Given the pricing of today's clubs that sounds about right. Glad I have a back up set of Hogan TKs in the closet.

Also there's a set of Ping G400's R flex graphite with my name on them. They are just on loan to someone else until I buy them on eBay four years from now - if I'm upright and healthy enough to still be whacking it around. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've been thinking about this one. I love the wedge game. For me to drop $600 on 3 Wedges that I will probably wear out in a few months... I'm still torn.

See I don't get all excited about a big shiny new driver as much as I do that lovely tear drop shape, with the sole grind, well thought out grind...

I'll have to ponder it for a while. The little PING Man is cool. But I do love the lack of junk in these. Just a simple looking club.

Will these be in the most wanted testing?

When some of the best wedges on the planet (Hogan Equalizers, IMO) are $100 with a couple of different shaft choices, $200 is a bit much to swallow, again, IMO.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I would hope to get a custom grind for $200/wedge. That's what causes me to balk at the price. I'm not a huge fan of Vokey wedges (the toe area is too inconsistent with chip shots) but the grinds they offer will suit just about every player out there. I know these wedges were designed by and for pros but the average golfer needs a different grind because we don't play on the finest courses.

I won't ever doubt the performance of Ping products but they've had some head scratchers lately with pricing.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Pricing is just OK to keep up with the irons and drivers...

Drivers used to go for $299 now closer to $400-500

Irons were usually priced at $799-899 and now many of them are north of $1100

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

When some of the best wedges on the planet (Hogan Equalizers, IMO) are $100 with a couple of different shaft choices, $200 is a bit much to swallow, again, IMO.

I agree I love Ping products but I can attest to the fact that the Ben Hogan equalizers at 100 each is the way to go...

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

$500 for a driver most don't bat an eye yet they o my use it 14 times a round at most. $150+ for a wedge or $300+ for a putter which are clubs used way more often and it's expensive.

If it works best it's worth the price

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I dont know if I can stomach $200 for a wedge...and it's not like you usually only get one wedge. Most people will get 3 or 4 wedges so that up to $800 for wedges! I'm comfortable with wedges around $100 to $130. Maybe I'm becoming more frugal/cheap as I get older or looking more for the best bank for the buck. Maybe why I haven't bought anything new the last few years besides a hybrid.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

My wedges all cost about $200 each. They are all Wishon - custom fit and built.

My PW is 48* then 52,56,60. Couldn't tell you a thing about grinds ,etc. But they all play beautifully from tight Bermuda fairways.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I've been thinking about this one. I love the wedge game. For me to drop $600 on 3 Wedges that I will probably wear out in a few months... I'm still torn.

See I don't get all excited about a big shiny new driver as much as I do that lovely tear drop shape, with the sole grind, well thought out grind...

I'll have to ponder it for a while. The little PING Man is cool. But I do love the lack of junk in these. Just a simple looking club.

Will these be in the most wanted testing?

Good point about wear! Wedges are not the longest lasting clubs in the bag when they are cast - but now subtract months off of that number because of the softer face!

While I was testing these, I was saying the same thing about the simplicity of the design

I just paid $150 each for my Ping G700 UW and SW and I absolutely love those wedges.  I paid $99 for my Cleveland 58° wedge that is my money club from 80 yards and in.  I wouldn't trade it for the world right now as it is now my favorite club in the bag.

I love PING probably more than most golfers, but $200 for wedge is a bit much for my budget.

Granted, when you consider I paid $400 for my driver and $229 for my hybrid, just because that's what they cost these days, I imagine the OEMs will figure out a way to make a $200 wedge seem cheap eventually.   :angry:  :(  :wacko:

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My Glides (all custom ordered) were all around $170 or so with the graphite shaft up-charge and shipping. $200 would be a stretch for me to justify, but thankfully I do not have to. I won a custom wedge from MGS several weeks ago that is to be customized by the Wedge Wizard himself!

https://www.instagram.com/wedge_wizard/?hl=en

He and I have been in touch on ideas, and before PING released these, we had decided to wait to get one because of my love of PING and how cool these already look. Since then, I have submitted to him my specs (loft, lie, shaft, grip, etc) which are pretty much the same stuff as my current sticks, but what he's going to do to make this "custom" will have to wait for its own thread. But given the retail of a standard 60* Glide forged with my upgraded shaft AND the custom job Jacob will put to it, I bet this baby would be easily above the $400 line that is certainly well above what I'd ever consider paying for on my own for anything but a driver or maybe even a jewelry-grade putter one day. 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

$500 for a driver most don't bat an eye yet they o my use it 14 times a round at most. $150+ for a wedge or $300+ for a putter which are clubs used way more often and it's expensive.

If it works best it's worth the price

Okay I'm going on my soap box. And I'm really sorry if I come across as picky no on you.

Putter is important but ridiculously over rated. I particularly love the feet of putts made state because if you buy into that how many feet does your tee shot cover, in one swing????

It's a golf course, the shot that covers the most distance on that course is your tee shot - it is a hugely important shot - way more important than the tap in that could be made with any club in the bag but we decide to make with our putters.

So driver or tee ball is strategically the most important club/shot.

Putter might be next most important but it could also be wedges, if you are good enough with driver and wedges you diminish putters importance. Irons are more over rated than putter and hybrids/fairways are what they are - eBay is a great place to find them for the budget conscious.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay I'm going on my soap box. And I'm really sorry if I come across as picky no on you.

Putter is important but ridiculously over rated. I particularly love the feet of putts made state because if you buy into that how many feet does your tee shot cover, in one swing????

It's a golf course, the shot that covers the most distance on that course is your tee shot - it is a hugely important shot - way more important than the tap in that could be made with any club in the bag but we decide to make with our putters.

So driver or tee ball is strategically the most important club/shot.

Putter might be next most important but it could also be wedges, if you are good enough with driver and wedges you diminish putters importance. Irons are more over rated than putter and hybrids/fairways are what they are - eBay is a great place to find them for the budget conscious.

While I agree the driver is hugely important (my scores tend to go as my driver goes, but I've saved holes and rounds with wedges and putter) it's one stroke per swing the same way a putt is one stroke with every swing. We've been around the game for awhile and have seen long hitters not be able to do much else and end up with high scores and have seen the short knocker go low.

Golf is a sport that allows many different type of golfers to succeed and while distance off the tee makes the game easier it isn't the only way.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

While I agree the driver is hugely important (my scores tend to go as my driver goes, but I've saved holes and rounds with wedges and putter) it's one stroke per swing the same way a putt is one stroke with every swing. We've been around the game for awhile and have seen long hitters not be able to do much else and end up with high scores and have seen the short knocker go low.

Golf is a sport that allows many different type of golfers to succeed and while distance off the tee makes the game easier it isn't the only way.

Yes, rounds can be won or lost on the greens,  but distance off the tee is where players start to separate themselves from others.  This is what strokes gained statistics is all about.  Players that are longer off the tee generally have lower scores on holes than players that are shorter.  As you get closer to the hole it becomes more difficult to separate yourself from other players.  Put 2 players 3 feet from the hole and have them hole out 100 times.  how different will their scores be?   Take 2 players and put one 200 yards from the hole and one 100 yards from the hole out 100 times.  How different will these scores be?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yes, rounds can be won or lost on the greens, but distance off the tee is where players start to separate themselves from others. This is what strokes gained statistics is all about. Players that are longer off the tee generally have lower scores on holes than players that are shorter. As you get closer to the hole it becomes more difficult to separate yourself from other players. Put 2 players 3 feet from the hole and have them hole out 100 times. how different will their scores be? Take 2 players and put one 200 yards from the hole and one 100 yards from the hole out 100 times. How different will these scores be?

Again I don't disagree that length can be an advantage but with that especially with amateurs long doesn't equal low scores and short knocking doesn't mean one can't go low. Long with amateurs can also mean bigger misses.

Zach Johnson won The Masters without going for a single par 5 in two.

Yes, rounds can be won or lost on the greens, but distance off the tee is where players start to separate themselves from others. This is what strokes gained statistics is all about. Players that are longer off the tee generally have lower scores on holes than players that are shorter. As you get closer to the hole it becomes more difficult to separate yourself from other players. Put 2 players 3 feet from the hole and have them hole out 100 times. how different will their scores be? Take 2 players and put one 200 yards from the hole and one 100 yards from the hole out 100 times. How different will these scores be?

I have been saying this for years but that is the simplest explanation and best illustration of the point that I have ever read. Thank you

@Rickybobby - just because Zach Johnson didn't go for a par five in two does not mean he doesn't hit the ball long. If he shows up at your club and no one recognizes him everyone is marveling at how long and straight he hits it. Man you should have seen this stud bomb the ball - you should have been here. He's just not long compared to the guys that he plays against.

It's like a pitcher who throws 90 in the big leagues. Ho hum-

Have you ever tried to hit a 90 mph fastball thrown by a live pitcher or worse been hit by one? It's fast - very few people throw the ball that fast.

Of course there are different ways to make a score but not at the highest level where distance is required. At our level I may compensate for my lack of distance by being very good in other categories by my Performance is capped at around scratch. That's a far cry from being a good competitive golfer.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Again I don't disagree that length can be an advantage but with that especially with amateurs long doesn't equal low scores and short knocking doesn't mean one can't go low. Long with amateurs can also mean bigger misses.

Zach Johnson won The Masters without going for a single par 5 in two.

Dont disagree with anything you are saying. Short hitters can shoot low scores and win tournaments. Long hitters can shoot high scores. Length makes it easier to shoot low scores. 3 putting greens no matter how long you are will not enable you to score well. I think a better way to look at revkev's point is that length is a separator for equal handicap golfers when looking at scores over time.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I have been saying this for years but that is the simplest explanation and best illustration of the point that I have ever read. Thank you

I know you have been saying this and while listening or reading something this type of example was provided. It kind of opened my eyes to what you have been saying. It really isn't about the ability to score low, it is about being able to separate yourself from other players of equal ability.

@Rickybobby - just because Zach Johnson didn't go for a par five in two does not mean he doesn't hit the ball long. If he shows up at your club and no one recognizes him everyone is marveling at how long and straight he hits it. Man you should have seen this stud bomb the ball - you should have been here. He's just not long compared to the guys that he plays against.

It's like a pitcher who throws 90 in the big leagues. Ho hum-

Have you ever tried to hit a 90 mph fastball thrown by a live pitcher or worse been hit by one? It's fast - very few people throw the ball that fast.

Of course there are different ways to make a score but not at the highest level where distance is required. At our level I may compensate for my lack of distance by being very good in other categories by my Performance is capped at around scratch. That's a far cry from being a good competitive golfer.

I think at most courses most amateur would be impressed with anyone who hits it 260+ off the tee. I think we agree that distance is a huge advantage and that golf allows many to play and score low regardless of how far they hit it, the shorter hitters just have to work harder. ZJ is 150 in driving distance on tour...unfortunately at 282(all drives) and 290 driving distance there's lots of courses he will be facing an uphill battle on, but his ball striking and wedge play are some of the best on tour imo.

I disagree that distance is required. It helps and makes it easier but if it wasn't all about distance then very week Tony Finau, Bubba, DJ, Rory and maybe 1-2 others would be the winners and no one else.

Regardless of all that a $200 wedge imo is no more expensive as a $500 driver. What is expensive to one isn't expensive to someone else. What I don't understand is why people across the internet complain about the price of one type of club and accept the price of another...buy what you like and can afford. Just like with release cycles from companies...why are options a bad thing. If something new doesn't perform better for you don't buy it, if you don't like the looks don't buy it. No one complains when a car company raises prices and that model is more expensive than a competitor or that luxury automobiles are bad for the car industry

@RickyBobby we are in complete agreement about your last statement. 

Also in regards to distance it is a comparative thing - I know I opened a discussion about what would be long enough to play to  - it seemed like the consensus there was around 230 yards or 25 yards less than the average driving distance for a scratch golfer.

I think we could ask the same question about driving distance and the PGA tour.  What is long enough to make a go of it on tour.  I'd through 275 out as a starting point but already I wonder if that's long enough.  It's already 20 yards longer than the average scratch golfer BTW.

Back to the topic - wedges are important - I think I got us down the bunny trail further by positing that they were more important that irons and most people will drop over 1,000 on irons.  I would stick by that statement - for most people's games wedges are more important than irons - they will prove to be the bigger separator between players in your category - I think (I could be wrong - I don't have a stat sheet in front of me).  Regardless I also think that the person who introduced the notion that iron sets have reduced from 8 to 7 or even 6 clubs - the profit has to be made up elsewhere - so - wedges are now going to be priced at 199.99. 

It makes sense.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived