TESTERS WANTED! ×

$200 for a Wedge?

LongIronFrenzy

@RickyBobby we are in complete agreement about your last statement.

Also in regards to distance it is a comparative thing - I know I opened a discussion about what would be long enough to play to - it seemed like the consensus there was around 230 yards or 25 yards less than the average driving distance for a scratch golfer.

I think we could ask the same question about driving distance and the PGA tour. What is long enough to make a go of it on tour. I'd through 275 out as a starting point but already I wonder if that's long enough. It's already 20 yards longer than the average scratch golfer BTW.

Back to the topic - wedges are important - I think I got us down the bunny trail further by positing that they were more important that irons and most people will drop over 1,000 on irons. I would stick by that statement - for most people's games wedges are more important than irons - they will prove to be the bigger separator between players in your category - I think (I could be wrong - I don't have a stat sheet in front of me). Regardless I also think that the person who introduced the notion that iron sets have reduced from 8 to 7 or even 6 clubs - the profit has to be made up elsewhere - so - wedges are now going to be priced at 199.99.

It makes sense.

Onboard with this post. Technology and set makeup definitely have an effect. “Jacked lofts” (said with sarcasm) are causing golfers to look at set makeup differently and where 2-3 wedges used to be the norm and it was the top end of the bag people needed to find clubs that were easier to hit than a 3,4 or in some cases a 5i with the larger more forgiving clubs with stronger lofts the bottom of th bag is where the gaps are starting to appear. It's definitejt something I'm looking at with the p790s in the bag.

While my first comment followed by your reply probably hit us down a side path it was good for discussion and looking at different mentalities/approaches to how to look at clubs and importance of each.

I do think for most amateurs especially those with limited time to practice and/or play increasing efficiency with shorter iron/wedge play could help lower scores.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I use the term "recreational player" rather than "amateur" to describe us average players. 

The NCAA Champion is an amateur.

He/she gets free tuition, free room and board, free books and fees, plus laundry money--but the USGA regards him or her,  probably a +4,   as an "amateur."  We lose amateur status if we take a lousy car for making a hole in one in a Pro-Am...if we take a lot less, actually.

Amateurs are way over my head. I'm a recreational player.

And as a recreational player in a certain place in my life, I might spend some real money on a set of wedges. 

What I wouldn't do is spend five hundred on a 460cc titanium driver. Or even fifty bucks on one.

The only thing a 460cc driver gives me over a 13º strong fairway wood that's used as my driver is a lot more mis-hits.

I can play a normal golf swing with the fairway wood. With the fat ass driver, I have to tee the ball way up high and play it too far forward in my stance.

Those huge, cartoonish-looking things have to be good based on their popularity, but honestly, they're completely useless to me.

[As an aside, I use the term "jacked lofts" with no sarcasm whatsoever!]

This looks a little like a thread jacking.  I'm sorry.

The NCAA Champion is an amateur.

He/she gets free tuition, free room and board, free books and fees, plus laundry money--but the USGA regards him or her,  probably a +4,   as an "amateur."  We lose amateur status if we take a lousy car for making a hole in one in a Pro-Am...if we take a lot less, actually.

Amateurs are way over my head. I'm a recreational player.

Don't forget the free clubs from PXG and all the golf balls (ProV1s) they want.  Gloves, shoes, clothes, (women), etc.  It ain't all bad being a college golfer.

And yeah, I was starting to wonder what all this had to do with a $200 wedge, but your discussion is a hell of a lot more interesting then prices on wedges.   :D

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

@RevKev @CNosil and@RickyBobby  Good conversation above and instead of quoting all the posts, I'll  just add  two thoughts from last  night experience while it's fresh in my mind.

I equaled my lowest 9 hole league round of the year, 46.  I know not up to your guy's standards, but as an inconsistent 17 HC, it was pretty decent for me.   

I had been hitting the driver pretty well of late, not last night.   I had what I would call 2 good drives out of the 7 driving holes.  And again neither of them would be long by anyone's measure.  The rest of the night was spent recovering from said bad drives.   FTR on those two "good drives" I parred both holes.   In two completely different ways.

Hole 1, I completely hooked my approach shot from 170 out into some medium deep rough, 40 yards left of the green, about 1 foot from going into a hazard that would have certainly been double or triple bogey.   I pulled my favorite wedge (54 degree $149 SM7) and put it nice and soft to about 8 feet.  I then rolled in the putt (with my brand new $299 EXO #7) for par.   

The other good drive was due to a well struck 7 iron from about 145 to 10 feet.  The putt was a big left to right breaker that just missed.

So for the remaining 7 holes, I relied on a combo of the 50,54 and 58 degree wedges to get me in position to make par or bogey with the putter, and each time they did.  I had two three putts that werre just poor mental breakdowns, and three other solid putts made from  4 to 8 feet.

Last note.  We had a guy fill in our foursome who we didn't know.  At first I thought it was odd he was teeing his 3 wood pretty high and thought this will be interesting.    On the 2nd hole I noticed it wasn't a 3 wood it was a 25 year old Yonex driver, about the size of today's 3 woods. 

He proceeded to fly that 25 year old driver by each of us all night long, probably averaging 250'ish or so with it. 

So I don't know what all the babbling about these anecdotes above mean, but for me, I found it interesting that I had my "best" night of the year on a very average to less than average driving night.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Rob, just get a new driver, sounds like your wedges are good.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Rob, just get a new driver, sounds like your wedges are good.

But I was just fit for this driver  :D   I have to admit those PING Forged wedges  have been catching my eye

I'd say 200 is steep for an off the rack wedge and stock shaft.  If we're talking tour issue type of shaft or steelfiber, or top notch Px then of course it adds about 30 bucks onto the club as an upcharge.  I'm a fan of ping too.  I purposely have all ping stuff that people can see - aka bright white Ping DLX cart bag, ping woods, ping putter cover and ping wedges, I will say I'm not a huge fan of them.  I just won the Bridgestone giveaway and the wedges showed up moments ago.  They look amazing, feel great and we'll see how they perform.  It appears the going rate for wedges is about 149 but then 99 the following year when they're old news.  These new Bridgestones only cost 99 and they just got released.  Their forged.  They're shiny, look amazing too so I'd have to tip my hat that way instead of the ben hogans.  I tried the older model of the hogans and hated the v groove bs.  Sounds great on paper but chunk skull, chunk skull, etc.  So the grind is everything.  I've realized that back when I bought Scratch wedges.  That type of custom grind for the type of swinger you are is the best but hard to come by these days.  Vokey has good offerings and at 99 for last years model they're a steal.  Get SM6's now @ 99 or wait 7 months and get SM7's at 99.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Sorry folks. I didn't mean I won a giveaway. I won the chance to review and keep a 3 wedge set of these beauties. They came today and already put in 1 1/2 hours around a practice hole. So 95 and in I've got probably 100 plus shots logged with proV's and other tour balls I had in my Golf bag. I just wanted to say I take golf seriously and testing equally serious.

I may have rubbed some the wrong way by saying I won them. Sorry didn't mean to offend.

I will test better than most because most guys with a low amount of posts are spending more time on the range and course taking pocket change vs too much time on the Internet posting thousands of comments.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Sorry folks. I didn't mean I won a giveaway. I won the chance to review and keep a 3 wedge set of these beauties. They came today and already put in 1 1/2 hours around a practice hole. So 95 and in I've got probably 100 plus shots logged with proV's and other tour balls I had in my Golf bag. I just wanted to say I take golf seriously and testing equally serious.

I may have rubbed some the wrong way by saying I won them. Sorry didn't mean to offend.

I will test better than most because most guys with a low amount of posts are spending more time on the range and course taking pocket change vs too much time on the Internet posting thousands of comments.

It's all good Ben. There are hundreds of applications in each testing thread where it's obvious the people who aren't regular members of the forum are just after free clubs and view it as a giveaway.

But I'll tell you what's really cool. Is the large amount of forum members who haven't done a review but yet read all the reviews and comment on how much they appreciate the work that went into doing that review--and it is a lot of work-- as anybody who has done a review will tell you.

We're glad your excited and definitely reach out to any of the mods or Shankster as he's done of the more extensive reviews, if you have any questions.

Considering my miura wedges were $260 and mizuno's were around 130-150 for forged; it'd be tough for me. Though my ping glide stealth wedges are just fine

My Mixed-Bag:

Driver:      :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub zero, ventus black 7x

Fairway:     Still looking!

Irons:         :mizuno-small:MP-18 MB 4-PW

Wedges:     Miura K Grinds

Putter:       Evnroll 1.2 blade

Ball:        :srixon-small: Z star XV

Sorry didn't mean to offend.

You didn't mean to, but now you just did offend me.

I work a 40 hour a week job, and am babysitting a 90 yr old MIL with dementia that is essentially one step short of a vegetable.  Look, I don't know who you are or anything about you, but your last post just came across as extremely flippant and arrogant.

Some of us have a life outside of golf that we can't spend 8 hours a day (or whatever you spend) camped out on a golf course looking to take money from suckers.  If I'm lucky in any given week I'll get my Tuesday night 9 hole scramble in, and my Saturday morning game in.  I might squeeze in another 9 holes on a weeknight after work, or hit the range or short game area one other night for about an hour after work, if I am lucky.  I wish I had the time you say you have to screw off all day on the golf course, and do nothing else.  But for some of us working stiffs with a life, that isn't an option.  Take golf as seriously as you want, but it bothers me when you think someone who posts a lot here doesn't care as much about golf as you do.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I think you misunderstood me. I work a 40 hour work week. I take care of a sick wife and a young baby. I got maybe a half day per week to play or practice and I take that time seriously. I do not have but wish I had all day to play or practice. You're right though I was making a sly remark and feel bad about it now. I was talking a little trash to someone whose not you but none the less you got offended. No I can't help how you feel because that is you but I can say sorry and hope your day gets better.

Pro tip for us hourly workers.

IWhen I play golf I usually have to use PTO to get off wrk and play. The weekends is devoted to cleaning house yard work etc. No one has to know you didn't go into work. You just plan it and take it time off and go Golf. Anyhow that's my trick for more golf- I use up my paid time off.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

@RevKev @CNosil and@RickyBobby Good conversation above and instead of quoting all the posts, I'll just add two thoughts from last night experience while it's fresh in my mind.

I equaled my lowest 9 hole league round of the year, 46. I know not up to your guy's standards, but as an inconsistent 17 HC, it was pretty decent for me.

I had been hitting the driver pretty well of late, not last night. I had what I would call 2 good drives out of the 7 driving holes. And again neither of them would be long by anyone's measure. The rest of the night was spent recovering from said bad drives. FTR on those two "good drives" I parred both holes. In two completely different ways.

Hole 1, I completely hooked my approach shot from 170 out into some medium deep rough, 40 yards left of the green, about 1 foot from going into a hazard that would have certainly been double or triple bogey. I pulled my favorite wedge (54 degree $149 SM7) and put it nice and soft to about 8 feet. I then rolled in the putt (with my brand new $299 EXO #7) for par.

The other good drive was due to a well struck 7 iron from about 145 to 10 feet. The putt was a big left to right breaker that just missed.

So for the remaining 7 holes, I relied on a combo of the 50,54 and 58 degree wedges to get me in position to make par or bogey with the putter, and each time they did. I had two three putts that werre just poor mental breakdowns, and three other solid putts made from 4 to 8 feet.

Last note. We had a guy fill in our foursome who we didn't know. At first I thought it was odd he was teeing his 3 wood pretty high and thought this will be interesting. On the 2nd hole I noticed it wasn't a 3 wood it was a 25 year old Yonex driver, about the size of today's 3 woods.

He proceeded to fly that 25 year old driver by each of us all night long, probably averaging 250'ish or so with it.

So I don't know what all the babbling about these anecdotes above mean, but for me, I found it interesting that I had my "best" night of the year on a very average to less than average driving night.

I hate to keep the bunny trail going but wanted to add that all the strokes gain stuff is an over time matter. So for a given round could I drive it short and wild while making a good score? Of course but in the long run it's the prescription for a riding handicap -

All other things being equal the longer and straighter I hit it - the better.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I hate to keep the bunny trail going but wanted to add that all the strokes gain stuff is an over time matter. So for a given round could I drive it short and wild while making a good score? Of course but in the long run it's the prescription for a riding handicap -

All other things being equal the longer and straighter I hit it - the better.

Ha. I'll take long and straight Rev. And I'm not trying to turn this into a is the short game more important than the driver argument.

Don't know if I made the point clear. But what I was trying to say. Is I had some good success with brand new clubs. One that some would consider to pricey (the putter) and the wedge which most will say is about average.

Then this guy blows us all away off the tee with a club you can probably buy on Ebay for $45.

So lots of ways to score at slots of different price points.

Archived