LongIronFrenzy

$200 for a Wedge?

I just tried the new Ping Glide Forged today and they felt really good! However, I'm wondering how many people are going to put these in the bag considering that they are going to retail for near the $200 mark? Just not sure that people are going to forgo the Vokeys and MD4s for a Ping wedge at 40-60 bucks more. But, I've been wrong before.

IMG_0554.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I think at only 40 bucks more many people will buy them. That is IF they preform better. If they preform better I would definitely spend $40 for a better performing club, especially considering wedges are one of the most important parts of the game.

I guarantee you many people would pay $40 for a better driver even for 2 more yards. And those 2 yards are no where near as important as wedges.

• Like 2

Just a thought, but maybe a wedge is worth two hundred bucks if you can't get one that you like as much for $199.99 or less.

Right now, Mizuno S18s are my favorites among the current new models with Titleist SM7's next.  

I'm really big on lots of loft/bounce offerings.

Glides and Equalizers are both very handsome and  seemingly well crafted clubs,

but neither were crafted with my swing and the insufficient variety of shots that I know how to hit in mind.

Back in the day, I would mix and match Cleveland's three distinct head shapes--the 485, 588, and 691. Again, lots of choices. The first big wave of Vokeys emulated that Cleveland three head shape concept.

• Like 1

$200 is gonna be the new benchmark for wedges as they are the new irons.

How many people buy iron sets of 5-PW or even 6-PW these days? You are no longer buying an iron set of 8 clubs and supplementing with a hybrid and a couple of wedges. Guys are carrying more wedges as bomb and gouge, driver/wedge club selection has become prevalent.

The OEMs are cashing in on jacked lofts since the consumer now needs to buy 3 or 4 wedges to cover their higher lofts since the PW is now 43*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I think at only 40 bucks more many people will buy them. That is IF they preform better. If they preform better I would definitely spend $40 for a better performing club, especially considering wedges are one of the most important parts of the game.

I guarantee you many people would pay $40 for a better driver even for 2 more yards. And those 2 yards are no where near as important as wedges.

I see this all the time. People spending well over the total amount of three of these wedges would cost. Plus you are going to play these wedges, in a normal round, a lot more than a new driver. I just figured people wouldn't even try these because they weren't the main players in the wedge market.

• Like 1

$200 is gonna be the new benchmark for wedges as they are the new irons.

How many people buy iron sets of 5-PW or even 6-PW these days? You are no longer buying an iron set of 8 clubs and supplementing with a hybrid and a couple of wedges. Guys are carrying more wedges as bomb and gouge, driver/wedge club selection has become prevalent.

The OEMs are cashing in on jacked lofts since the consumer now needs to buy 3 or 4 wedges to cover their higher lofts since the PW is now 43*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, hey, hey, they're not all “that” jacked, after all, the Cleveland CBX iron set PW is at a floppy 44*........ and I just replaced mine with a 46* CBX wedge bent to 45*

• Like 1

It is what it is -

Wedges are extremely important, if you map out the clubs that you use and their effectiveness you may discover that they are more important as a group than your irons. Lots of people drop over a grand on their irons and then those clubs become a detriment to their ability to score. :).

Why not another 600 on the three wedges beneath them?

Seriously I think 199 will be the number. Given the pricing of today's clubs that sounds about right. Glad I have a back up set of Hogan TKs in the closet.

Also there's a set of Ping G400's R flex graphite with my name on them. They are just on loan to someone else until I buy them on eBay four years from now - if I'm upright and healthy enough to still be whacking it around. :)

• Like 5

I've been thinking about this one. I love the wedge game. For me to drop $600 on 3 Wedges that I will probably wear out in a few months... I'm still torn.

See I don't get all excited about a big shiny new driver as much as I do that lovely tear drop shape, with the sole grind, well thought out grind...

I'll have to ponder it for a while. The little PING Man is cool. But I do love the lack of junk in these. Just a simple looking club.

Will these be in the most wanted testing?

When some of the best wedges on the planet (Hogan Equalizers, IMO) are $100 with a couple of different shaft choices, $200 is a bit much to swallow, again, IMO.

• Like 4

I would hope to get a custom grind for $200/wedge. That's what causes me to balk at the price. I'm not a huge fan of Vokey wedges (the toe area is too inconsistent with chip shots) but the grinds they offer will suit just about every player out there. I know these wedges were designed by and for pros but the average golfer needs a different grind because we don't play on the finest courses.

I won't ever doubt the performance of Ping products but they've had some head scratchers lately with pricing.

• Like 3

Pricing is just OK to keep up with the irons and drivers...

Drivers used to go for $299 now closer to $400-500

Irons were usually priced at $799-899 and now many of them are north of $1100

• Like 2

When some of the best wedges on the planet (Hogan Equalizers, IMO) are $100 with a couple of different shaft choices, $200 is a bit much to swallow, again, IMO.

I agree I love Ping products but I can attest to the fact that the Ben Hogan equalizers at 100 each is the way to go...

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

$500 for a driver most don't bat an eye yet they o my use it 14 times a round at most. $150+ for a wedge or $300+ for a putter which are clubs used way more often and it's expensive.

If it works best it's worth the price

I dont know if I can stomach $200 for a wedge...and it's not like you usually only get one wedge. Most people will get 3 or 4 wedges so that up to $800 for wedges! I'm comfortable with wedges around $100 to $130. Maybe I'm becoming more frugal/cheap as I get older or looking more for the best bank for the buck. Maybe why I haven't bought anything new the last few years besides a hybrid.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 4

My wedges all cost about $200 each. They are all Wishon - custom fit and built.

My PW is 48* then 52,56,60. Couldn't tell you a thing about grinds ,etc. But they all play beautifully from tight Bermuda fairways.

• Like 5

I've been thinking about this one. I love the wedge game. For me to drop $600 on 3 Wedges that I will probably wear out in a few months... I'm still torn.

See I don't get all excited about a big shiny new driver as much as I do that lovely tear drop shape, with the sole grind, well thought out grind...

I'll have to ponder it for a while. The little PING Man is cool. But I do love the lack of junk in these. Just a simple looking club.

Will these be in the most wanted testing?

Good point about wear! Wedges are not the longest lasting clubs in the bag when they are cast - but now subtract months off of that number because of the softer face!

While I was testing these, I was saying the same thing about the simplicity of the design

• Like 1

Eh I'm sure they are nice but I'd rather buy a new wedge a couple models old for nearly a quarter of that price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

I just paid $150 each for my Ping G700 UW and SW and I absolutely love those wedges.  I paid $99 for my Cleveland 58° wedge that is my money club from 80 yards and in.  I wouldn't trade it for the world right now as it is now my favorite club in the bag.

I love PING probably more than most golfers, but $200 for wedge is a bit much for my budget.

Granted, when you consider I paid $400 for my driver and $229 for my hybrid, just because that's what they cost these days, I imagine the OEMs will figure out a way to make a $200 wedge seem cheap eventually.   :angry:  :(  :wacko:

• Like 2

My Glides (all custom ordered) were all around $170 or so with the graphite shaft up-charge and shipping. $200 would be a stretch for me to justify, but thankfully I do not have to. I won a custom wedge from MGS several weeks ago that is to be customized by the Wedge Wizard himself!

https://www.instagram.com/wedge_wizard/?hl=en

He and I have been in touch on ideas, and before PING released these, we had decided to wait to get one because of my love of PING and how cool these already look. Since then, I have submitted to him my specs (loft, lie, shaft, grip, etc) which are pretty much the same stuff as my current sticks, but what he's going to do to make this "custom" will have to wait for its own thread. But given the retail of a standard 60* Glide forged with my upgraded shaft AND the custom job Jacob will put to it, I bet this baby would be easily above the $400 line that is certainly well above what I'd ever consider paying for on my own for anything but a driver or maybe even a jewelry-grade putter one day. 

• Like 4