TESTERS WANTED! ×

My DIY SuperSpeed project

Thanks to Stud and Mr. Riley for letting me jump on this thread. I just finished building this project out for $86.56. I also want to thank Golf Mart for trading my shafts from RBG for ones that fit the latest Ping driver adapters. They are also letting me pop in every other week to track my progress. Additional costs not listed before were: $11.76 for washers and three plastic grommets from Ace Hardware. $32.36 for gluing labor from Golf Mart. And 0.99 for ten pieces of lead tape. I just used 5 of them. If you can glue grips and adapters yourself, this project would only run you about a quarter of the name brand cost.

The weights of the shafts, with grips and adaptors, ended up being really close to my drivers' shaft weight. The Atmos was the lightest at 114g and I used that one as the lightest trainer. The others including my driver was 121g. I recommend using driver adapters. With the screw and the grommet I found at Aces, I don't think the weights are flying off. I duct taped the finished product for stability, and after swinging the trainers they seem fine. Just see all the pictures below.

I used two different washers with different hole diameters, all weighed about 12g. Six of the smaller hole opening washers were used on all three trainers. These fit flush with the opening for the screw on the beveled part at the top of the adapter. The changing variable was the larger holed washers. Final weight dictated the amount used for these. Since these had a larger hole opening, I used two pieces of the lead tape to wedge the washers snugly up against the top six washers. Before taping these, I placed the grommet between the top washer and screw hole and tightened the screw in until the grommet compressed almost all the way. The heavier trainer only needed one piece of wedged lead tape because the stack reached the larger diameter of the driver adapter. Whats shown is just the heavy one.

The Final numbers are 262, 296 and 349 grams for each trainer. Not prefect from my 322g driver but almost matching a 330g driver. When you swing these trainers its obvious that there is a weight progression. Well I think that's about it, and this was super easy. Try it yourself! What's shown below is the heaviest trainer.

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

8 hours ago, Slap said:

Thanks to Stud and Mr. Riley for letting me jump on this thread. I just finished building this project out for $86.56. I also want to thank Golf Mart for trading my shafts from RBG for ones that fit the latest Ping driver adapters. They are also letting me pop in every other week to track my progress. Additional costs not listed before were: $11.76 for washers and three plastic grommets from Ace Hardware. $32.36 for gluing labor from Golf Mart. And 0.99 for ten pieces of lead tape. I just used 5 of them. If you can glue grips and adapters yourself, this project would only run you about a quarter of the name brand cost.

The weights of the shafts, with grips and adaptors, ended up being really close to my drivers' shaft weight. The Atmos was the lightest at 114g and I used that one as the lightest trainer. The others including my driver was 121g. I recommend using driver adapters. With the screw and the grommet I found at Aces, I don't think the weights are flying off. I duct taped the finished product for stability, and after swinging the trainers they seem fine. Just see all the pictures below.

I used two different washers with different hole diameters, all weighed about 12g. Six of the smaller hole opening washers were used on all three trainers. These fit flush with the opening for the screw on the beveled part at the top of the adapter. The changing variable was the larger holed washers. Final weight dictated the amount used for these. Since these had a larger hole opening, I used two pieces of the lead tape to wedge the washers snugly up against the top six washers. Before taping these, I placed the grommet between the top washer and screw hole and tightened the screw in until the grommet compressed almost all the way. The heavier trainer only needed one piece of wedged lead tape because the stack reached the larger diameter of the driver adapter. Whats shown is just the heavy one.

The Final numbers are 262, 296 and 349 grams for each trainer. Not prefect from my 322g driver but almost matching a 330g driver. When you swing these trainers its obvious that there is a weight progression. Well I think that's about it, and this was super easy. Try it yourself! What's shown below is the heaviest trainer.

really like the way you did this. When you talked about building these with the adapter tip installed, I wasn't picturing what you had in mind. This method is really slick; nicely done!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

really like the way you did this. When you talked about building these with the adapter tip installed, I wasn't picturing what you had in mind. This method is really slick; nicely done!

Nice job guys - I think I have a winter project

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Got the grips on tonight, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased thus far. The lightest one was 9 grams under the SuperSpeed spec. This didn't surprise me, as I mentioned above that the green grip I used on this one was about 10 grams lighter than the blue and red ones. I added two layers of tape, but that didn't make much difference.

The medium stick was off by a single gram, and the heavy one was spot on. That's better than I could have expected.

My next step is to figure out how to measure speed. Because part of the point here is to operate on a shoestring budget, buying a $100 swing radar defeats the purpose.

Everything that I already have, though, has some liabilities for the purpose. My ES12 doesn't measure swing speed, only the speed of a struck ball.

My SwingByte would have to be moved from shaft to shaft, which would slow down the exercises.

The Zepp is closest to ideal, because it stays on the glove. But I'm assuming it would be confused by the offhand swings.

So I'm likely going to use the Zepp for real-time monitoring, and use the ES12 for measuring actual progress. Using the launch monitor has the additional advantage of seeing whether the SuperSpeed program is messing with strike, as fat shots, etc., won't register the same ball speed.

Looking forward to beginning training, and seeing how the bargain bin dwellers compare with the real testers!

Full WITB with pictures

What do you think is more important? The overall weight of the trainer or the swing weight? Is there a swing weight progression as well?

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

8 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

What do you think is more important? The overall weight of the trainer or the swing weight? Is there a swing weight progression as well?

It's a good question, and one that I'm not fully qualified to answer. Here's my hunch: what matters most is actually putting in work with the clubs. There is undoubtedly some explanation for why SuperSpeed honed in on the exact specs they chose. And there would certainly be ranges outside of which these clubs wouldn't accomplish what they're supposed to.

But my suspicion is that if you build three sticks within a reasonable plus/minus range of an actual club and do the exercises, you'll see increases, not because of the clubs, but because of the exercises.

Full WITB with pictures

12 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

I think in terms of swinging one driver clubhead faster which should be your gamer. So having three of the same driver shafts with the same tips and grips is a good place to start. Naturally after that the only way to add weight should be at the tip end. So yes and even in the SS trainers the only variable is the weight at the end of the trainer. So there is a natural progression of weight at the tip. I weighed my overall trainers but I knew the shafts were very similar to the weight of my drivers' shaft.

Again its clubhead speed that we are looking to increase. 

For anyone interested: here are the SuperSpeed training protocol pdfs (publicly available), downloaded and combined into a single file.

SuperSpeed Protocols.pdf

Full WITB with pictures

Thanks for the PDF! I printed them out but I’ll be sure to save this. I started training this Monday and I plan on doing this every other day and not skip the weekend. So I’ll get more training in that way.

I’m gonna go ahead and update my results here unless anyone thinks I should start a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 2 weeks later...

I just started week 3 yesterday. I’m putting in the work every other day including weekends. About a month ago I checked my baseline swing speed and it averaged 99 out of four good swings. Today the kind folks at Golf Mart let me hit some balls and my average out of the five fastest swings was still 99. Out of those five my biggest miss was -60. My best offline number came from my fastest swing at -6.

I've been a bit haphazard in my workouts. I've ended up bringing the sticks to the church, where there's plenty of room to swing, and I can normally squeeze in the workout into a quiet part of the day.

I'm wavering on my plan about measuring speed: I may break down and get the radar, maybe the next time eBay is running a 15% off deal. I need to be able to see and feel what an increase of speed actually is.

Full WITB with pictures

Good call on buying a radar. There’s a swing speed radar for $43 on eBay right now. Coming from China though so there’s a long wait time and maybe a risk but I just got one. Hopefully I’m only waiting a month

Just received my swing speed radar this weekend. Like others have said, it makes a tremendous difference in learning how to gain speed. We've all heard the standard golf instruction line: "feel isn't real." I'm not sure that there is any facet of the swing that this adage applies to more than to speed. Even just a few swings in with the radar, I'm learning that what I thought felt fast isn't fast.

If I were writing a Stage 1 for my DIY SuperSpeed project, I'd say something like this: in just about everything, I'm a very conservative guy. That carries over to my golf swing, I suspect: the feeling of being loose and flowing in my swing is unnerving to me. It doesn't feel controlled. But looseness seems to be an essential element to golf speed. And this swing radar is demonstrating that to me conclusively.

I have very high hopes that this could end up being a major change to my golf progress.

Full WITB with pictures

Looking forward to seeing the long term results everyone gets.  I'm not ready for Superspeed or any other SS project yet. I have intentionally slowed down my drive (avg 81 mph) to achieve accuracy. Started out with a bad slice and after a couple of lessons through the summer it graduated to a push hook. Now it's pretty straight but not the distance I'd like. So more practice to embed my swing mechanics and I'll be working on SS. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Today I did my very first session with the radar. I've been doing the beginning regimen for the past couple of weeks, so this isn't a true baseline, I suppose, but it will be for my purposes.

The main thing that shocked me was that my left-handed numbers were very nearly identical to my right-handed numbers, with a notable exception.

On average, right hand:

• Green: 108
  • Blue: 99
  • Red: 99

Left hand:

• Green: 107
  • Blue: 100
  • Red: 99

As you can see, they are almost exactly the same. Here's my theory: my left-handed swings feel awful, a mess of uncoordination. But as I said in my last post, I suspect that a major speed-limiting factor for me is an unwillingness to allow the club to swing freely; I want to control it too much. My hunch is that when I swing left-handed, though my swing is a mess, I swing with greater abandon, allowing my speed from that side to easily match my more coordinated strong side. We'll see if that continues.

On the step-through swings, I was faster with my right-handed swings. Here, I think the reason is the lack of coordination on the left side. When I got things in sequence left-handed, I'd match my strong side swings. But I'd have a couple in which things would get wonky in transition, and I'd end up swinging 85mph on the left-hand step-throughs.

My average with my final three swings with the green was 113mph. I was pleased to see even that change right after the step-through swings; it seems that my body is learning from that sequence.

I'll continue to post my updates here, and keep out of the official review thread. Looking forward to comparing progress!

Full WITB with pictures

I made a practical adjustment to my sticks: each got a 2" section of pool noodle attached to the end.

Maybe someone can do all these exercises, swinging out of their shoes, without ever having the club hit the ground. I'm not that guy. And I can't rip up the carpet where I practice.

The weight is obviously negligible, but this will certainly add a bit of resistance. When I do the exercises today, I'll see how much.
IMG_20181106_074857.jpeg

UPDATE: I just finished my training for the morning. These are working well. Bounced one off the carpet with no ill effects, and they stay in place without needing adjustments. As for speed: if this morning's results are any indication, they ain't slowing me down! Here's are my Week 1 averages vs. today:

Green: 105 > 112

Blue: 100 > 108

Red: 96 > 101

Green (final): 112 > 117

Progress!

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 month later...

Just finished these: a set for my son Kirke for Christmas! His specs:

35"
200g
230g
265g

Very excited to see how these work for him. He turns six at the end of this week; I'll have another post coming up with his birthday present.IMG_20181223_210242.jpeg

Full WITB with pictures

He's got such a nice swing as it is are you trying to have him out hit you by age 10?
I'm pretty much resigned to him hitting it past me at an embarrassingly young age. I'm just hoping my own SuperSpeed work postpones that day for a while :-)

Full WITB with pictures

12 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:
12 hours ago, tommc23 said:
He's got such a nice swing as it is are you trying to have him out hit you by age 10?

I'm pretty much resigned to him hitting it past me at an embarrassingly young age. I'm just hoping my own SuperSpeed work postpones that day for a while 🙂

How have the workouts been going?  Have you noticed any change in swing mechanics?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

13 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

How have the workouts been going?  Have you noticed any change in swing mechanics?

Thanks for asking!

I've been posting my updates in the official forum review thread. I think I started posting around here: 

I've kept all my stats in a Google spreadsheet, which is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jj8xqtRl5EkctUEFx3fRjQynHWlotG5X1_EM6l0MphE/edit?usp=drivesdk

Short answer: I'm seeing substantial speed increases. I'm feeling the mechanics of a better swing. In conjunction with the SuperSpeed work, I've been doing some video work to improve wrist angles and (correspondingly) fight my early extension.

Full WITB with pictures

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:27 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I've been posting my updates in the official forum review thread. I think I started posting around here:

That's awesome to hear!  I got a little lost trying to catch up, so I thought I would "cheat" a little bit and ask you on your thread.  Really glad the DIY build is working so well!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 2 weeks later...

I just purchased everything from Diamond Tour -- main change is that I went with the same grips for all three clubs. Plan to differentiate the weights with colored electrical tape on the shaft, or something similar.

Did you epoxy each individual washer together? I'm thinking I'll look for some large diameter heat shrink tubing to cover the washers up once done. I do have a can of PlastiDip laying around, so that's an option, too. Both would look plenty slick, I think.

Total investment, including the washers which I have not yet purchased, appears to be in the $70-$90 range. Don't have an exact total because I bought a few other things from Diamond Tour (couldn't resist!).

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

By no means DIY but a cheaper alternative to SuperSpeed at $119. Its called the Golf Stick Pro and it utilizes a light and heavy counterweights to achieve swing weights in the same range as SuperSpeed. Mine just came in yesterday so I'm excited to start gaining more speed once I get fully settled after the move

1050597294_CopyofIntroducingoursecondgenerationGOLFSTICKPRO.Ourmostadvancedgolftrainingaidyetandguaranteedtobe100percentgimmickfree..png.9d5271671f0eb721673fc5ff8102dd2c.png

IMG_1543.JPG

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Hey Guys! I want to give an update to my journey in this project.

I stopped doing the workouts around Thanksgiving because I developed a huge slice from doing these protocols. I don’t think it’s the DIY sticks them self, more that being such a new golfer I can’t control the face very well. On top of that my swing speed went down about 7mph.

I just don’t think I put enough concentration into making actual golf swings while working out. Particularly I think my transition is too fast and rushed compared to how I was swing before. I saw that the speedsuper guy posting in the official review mentioned that people who experienced what I’m experiencing need to do some drills to help to control the face a bit better. Anyone know of good drills for this?

So I think my sequencing is just off and I need to work at it some more. Any advice will help.

21 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

By no means DIY but a cheaper alternative to SuperSpeed at $119. Its called the Golf Stick Pro and it utilizes a light and heavy counterweights to achieve swing weights in the same range as SuperSpeed. Mine just came in yesterday so I'm excited to start gaining more speed once I get fully settled after the move

1050597294_CopyofIntroducingoursecondgenerationGOLFSTICKPRO.Ourmostadvancedgolftrainingaidyetandguaranteedtobe100percentgimmickfree..png.9d5271671f0eb721673fc5ff8102dd2c.png

IMG_1543.JPG

interesting product! Let us know how it works out. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Here's another DIY option you can make with common hand tools. Its a 3 in 1 design. I drilled out a piece of 3/4" diameter threaded rod and epoxy'd it to a steel driver shaft.  I add nuts to the threaded rod to adjust between light , medium, and heavy sticks.

Shaft Length is 44 inch with a midsize tour velvet grip. Weight of shaft and grip were around 181g. I cut the thread bar to a length (approx. 2")  to make up the extra weight to get me to the light speed stick weight of 255g. Adding one nut gets me to 303g which is about 13g more than the medium weight stick. Adding another nut for a total of two nuts gets me to around 353g which is 2g lighter than the heavy stick. Nuts spin off and on quick so switching from different weights shouldn't be a problem. I could probably shave another nut down to get me exact for the medium weight but I think I'm good for now. Training starts once I get around to shoveling some snow off the deck...lol.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:32 PM, CC1718 said:

Here's another DIY option you can make with common hand tools. Its a 3 in 1 design. I drilled out a piece of 3/4" diameter threaded rod and epoxy'd it to a steel driver shaft.  I add nuts to the threaded rod to adjust between light , medium, and heavy sticks.

Shaft Length is 44 inch with a midsize tour velvet grip. Weight of shaft and grip were around 181g. I cut the thread bar to a length (approx. 2")  to make up the extra weight to get me to the light speed stick weight of 255g. Adding one nut gets me to 303g which is about 13g more than the medium weight stick. Adding another nut for a total of two nuts gets me to around 353g which is 2g lighter than the heavy stick. Nuts spin off and on quick so switching from different weights shouldn't be a problem. I could probably shave another nut down to get me exact for the medium weight but I think I'm good for now. Training starts once I get around to shoveling some snow off the deck...lol.

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

@CC1718 Love this idea. Can you provide a closer picture of the end of it? Did you cut off the driver head and epoxy the threaded rod inside of the steel shaft? Thanks

I also had the idea to buy old used clubs for like $5-$10 each and then make the sticks from those instead of buying brand new ones.

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

On 8/14/2018 at 4:35 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'm making progress on this project. After taking measurements of the inner and outer shaft diameters, I went to Tractor Supply this past weekend and picked up these:

20180814_124628.jpg

The bolt is just under 4mm in diameter, which is what I needed. The washer is called a "fender washer" (as one who is admittedly mechanically incompetent, I was guided to this by a woman from our church who works at the hardware store).

I then bought a big bag of washers that would fit around the shaft, roughly 8mm in diameter. The idea, obviously, is to epoxy the bolt and the big washer onto the shaft, and then secure the other washers (at the proper weight) to that.

So far, I've begun the light one, which takes 17 washers to get to the proper weight. I have epoxied in the bolt and large washer. Tonight, I'll probably epoxy each of the remaining washers in place. So far, it looks like this:

20180814_124544.jpg

@GolfSpy MPR  did the bolt fit inside of the shaft inner diameter? And you used some sort of epoxy/glue to golf it in there?

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder