Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

My DIY SuperSpeed project

For some time, I've been interested in the SuperSpeed Golf training system (some background discussion over here). I've never been a particularly long hitter, so the promise of added speed and distance is appealing. Living in a place with six months of deep winter, having a program of improvement for that half of the year is almost essential.

But I found the cost of the aid itself to be an obstacle. It's not that I'm unwilling to pay for a training aid. It's just that the SS sticks themselves seemed to be really easy to make, for a fraction of the cost. And given that SS publishes both 1) the specs of the clubs and 2) the substance of the training regimen, creating a DIY version of the hardware becomes even more appealing.

So this thread will document my attempt to make the SuperSpeed clubs, followed by an account of the training and its results.

Just this morning, I ordered the first batch of parts from one of my favorite component shops, Diamond Tour Golf. Here are my costs so far:

Adams shafts: 3 @ $4.99 = $14.97

Grips (red, blue, and green): 3 @ $1.69 = $5.07

Shipping: $6.89 (prorated; had more in my order than this)

Total so far: $26.93

I also bought a very cheap (less than $6) digital kitchen scale, but as I'll be using that for more than this project, I'm not going to include that in my costs.

I opted for the three different colored grips as a quick way of differentiating the three different weighted clubs. The only slight hitch there: the red and blue are listed at 51 grams each, while the green is 42 grams. I'm not terribly worried about this, as the green stick is supposed to be the lightest. But I might need to pay attention to swing weight as I build these.

The shaft is listed at 72 grams.

SS lists the following specs for their clubs.

Screenshot_2018-07-29-20-37-04.jpeg

This means I'll be looking to add between 150 and 200 grams of weight to each club. My initial thought was to do this with washers, but I have a suspicion that it would relatively easy to get this kind of weight with wood.

I'm open to suggestions for the weights as I await delivery of the shafts and grips.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Very intrigued by this idea

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I have seen combinations of washers and golf balls or calibration weights as options on another forum. For pure cost, washers and balls seem to be the best approach. The biggest potential gotcha is making sure the weights are very secure so they don't fly off.

Are you going to get a swing radar to keep track of swing speeds? It is recommended but doesn't come with the purchase of the system making I even more cod prohibitive.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Are you going to get a swing radar to keep track of swing speeds? It is recommended but doesn't come with the purchase of the system making I even more cost prohibitive.

I plan to monitor swing speeds with two other devices I already own. The first is an ES12 launch monitor. It's a very rudimentary device, but it does measure ball speeds and guesses at carry distance. If I'm picking up swing speed, it should end up being noticeable in ball speed.

The second is a SwingByte 2, which does give a swing speed measurement.

The downside of both of these, obviously, is that neither is helpful while doing the actual exercises (the SwingByte doesn't register unless it detects the vibration of impact).

Full WITB with pictures

I plan to monitor swing speeds with two other devices I already own. The first is an ES12 launch monitor. It's a very rudimentary device, but it does measure ball speeds and guesses at carry distance. If I'm picking up swing speed, it should end up being noticeable in ball speed.

The downside of both of these, obviously, is that neither is helpful while doing the actual exercises (the SwingByte doesn't register unless it detects the vibration of impact).

Not sure about Swingbyte but I do remember the instructions on the ES-14 stating you actually have to hit a ball for the unit to record. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I plan to monitor swing speeds with two other devices I already own. The first is an ES12 launch monitor. It's a very rudimentary device, but it does measure ball speeds and guesses at carry distance. If I'm picking up swing speed, it should end up being noticeable in ball speed.

IMHO it doesn't really matter how fast you swing during the exercises. It only matters if it translates to club and ball speeds. If it doesn't translate to club and ball speed, it doesn't matter how fast you swing the trainer.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

IMHO it doesn't really matter how fast you swing during the exercises. It only matters if it translates to club and ball speeds. If it doesn't translate to club and ball speed, it doesn't matter how fast you swing the trainer.

I mostly agree, but here's my pushback: when going for speed, it's easy to confuse effort for speed. Straining and grunting doesn't always translate into an an efficient use of mechanics. And that's where the swing speed radar comes in handy during the training swings: you can associate mechanics with results immediately, rather than waiting until you finish and transition into hitting balls.

Full WITB with pictures

Got my first parts. I weighed them this morning, and was pleased to find that (according to my very cheap digital kitchen scale) all three shafts came in at 70 grams.

20180804_080751.jpeg

Full WITB with pictures

So I stumbled into the Golf Stick Pro last night. Looks to be like SuperSpeed but in one "club" instead of 3 by utilizing counterweights on both ends. Very intriguing for $80 less

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

I have a golf buddy that many years ago simply took a nice smooth steel rod of about/roughly 1/2" diameter, put some grips on the ends and walahh. Speed stick! Couldn't tell you if it helped any. I still hit the ball further than him without a speed stick clone.  

But that's not saying much. LOL

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I made my own set a couple years ago and it definitely helped my swing speed.  I made a big jump in speed and then plateaued.  It was totally work the money and effort.  Highly recommend one of the SSR radar units.  One of the parts of the training is getting an understanding of what feels fast and what is actually fast.  Early on there were swings I felt were extremely fast but the radar showed differently.  

Haven't been able to push thru the plateau but have been working on technical aspects of my swing that might help.  

Overall I think I picked up between 15 and 20 yards on my drives.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I'm making progress on this project. After taking measurements of the inner and outer shaft diameters, I went to Tractor Supply this past weekend and picked up these:

20180814_124628.jpg

The bolt is just under 4mm in diameter, which is what I needed. The washer is called a "fender washer" (as one who is admittedly mechanically incompetent, I was guided to this by a woman from our church who works at the hardware store).

I then bought a big bag of washers that would fit around the shaft, roughly 8mm in diameter. The idea, obviously, is to epoxy the bolt and the big washer onto the shaft, and then secure the other washers (at the proper weight) to that.

So far, I've begun the light one, which takes 17 washers to get to the proper weight. I have epoxied in the bolt and large washer. Tonight, I'll probably epoxy each of the remaining washers in place. So far, it looks like this:

20180814_124544.jpg

Full WITB with pictures

If that is the light one I can only imagine what the heavy one will look like  :blink:

I'm making progress on this project. After taking measurements of the inner and outer shaft diameters, I went to Tractor Supply this past weekend and picked up these:

attachicon.gif 20180814_124628.jpg

The bolt is just under 4mm in diameter, which is what I needed. The washer is called a "fender washer" (as one who is admittedly mechanically incompetent, I was guided to this by a woman from our church who works at the hardware store).

I then bought a big bag of washers that would fit around the shaft, roughly 8mm in diameter. The idea, obviously, is to epoxy the bolt and the big washer onto the shaft, and then secure the other washers (at the proper weight) to that.

So far, I've begun the light one, which takes 17 washers to get to the proper weight. I have epoxied in the bolt and large washer. Tonight, I'll probably epoxy each of the remaining washers in place. So far, it looks like this:

attachicon.gif 20180814_124544.jpg

How did you decide the number of washers to use.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

How did you decide the number of washers to use.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I used a kitchen scale. SuperSpeed lists the specs for their clubs. I know the weight of the shaft and grips. And so I'm weighing everything else to get it close, leaving room for epoxy, grip tape, etc.

Full WITB with pictures

• 1 month later...

I'd like everyone's feedback and ideas about how to complete this project.

I ordered three driver shafts, three grips, and three adapter tips. The shafts were very cheap but good quality. They are Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 45 x 5ct. Ladies flex. I think having the lightest shaft made the most sense and that adding weight is the easy part. The grips were cheap chamois brand. These came from rock bottom golf for $28.37. The ping adapter tips are on their way from China at $13.08. Grand total of $41.45 so far.

The concept of super speed training is that you exercise your driver swing motion with headless driver clubs that are 20% and 10% lighter then a standard driver and 5% heavier then a standard driver. I'm not concerned about the developers idea of absolute weight. I was only concerned about my drivers weight, tipping the scales at 322g. I have a good scale that's made for portability and is lab grade.

Consider this weight of my standard Ping G to a Wilson D300 which is 271g. This difference is huge. So for the standard weight SuperSpeed gives us my question immediately was ‘Compared to what?'. Total driver weight or driver head weight?

I think I'm truly going to max out my personal driver swing speed with this customizable training system given any driver I chose to game. My plan is to use as many washers needed with the screw that inserts into the driver tip. The first washer opening needs to be small and the rest just need to fit around the tip. Anyone have any ideas about the best way to add the needed weight? My initial thoughts are to target total weight and not isolate head weight.

I'll give more details about my trainer weights when they are all glued together. Right now based on raw data I need at least 193g for the lightest one and 241g on the heavier one. Keep in mind this does not include glue, tip and screw. The shaft weights were very consistent at 47g. One weighed 46g. Grips were 51g but the ends need to be cut off in order to fit the shaft.

Any feedback would be great. Good bad or ugly.

IMG_2062.JPG

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

I'm sure MPatrickRiley will chime in with some useful insight since he has actually attempted this (Thread Here)

Nice! I tired to search for a topic on this but this one didn't show up.

Hey Pat I'm attempting the same thing! I'm not using the SuperSpeed specs though, and I have a really accurate scale. I'm basing my build on my total Ping G driver weight. I'm also using real driver head adapters so that I can actually use or sell these. Here's my post if you want to take a look and comment.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/25721-diy-super-speed-training-system/

Hey Pat I'm attempting the same thing! I'm not using the SuperSpeed specs though, and I have a really accurate scale. I'm basing my build on my total Ping G driver weight. I'm also using real driver head adapters so that I can actually use or sell these. Here's my post if you want to take a look and comment.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/25721-diy-super-speed-training-system/

Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. As the season draws to a conclusion here, I need to get back on the stick and get these finished.

Full WITB with pictures

Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. As the season draws to a conclusion here, I need to get back on the stick and get these finished.

I also look forward to see what you cook up too. We have the same idea about price and weighting too. I'll probably going to use washers as well and maybe tape them to together with lead tape that I have. I'm also thinking about red loctite threadlocking glue on the tip screws.

I also look forward to see what you cook up too. We have the same idea about price and weighting too. I'll probably going to use washers as well and maybe tape them to together with lead tape that I have. I'm also thinking about red loctite threadlocking glue on the tip screws.

Using 263 red Loctite will make it really difficult to undo if you want to remove the screw without breaking it, I would use 243 or 242, they are basically the same 243 is a thicker consistency than 242. Both will allow you to remove the screw without it breaking, but will be strong enough to hold during use. I am curious how these will turn out for you guys.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Using 263 red Loctite will make it really difficult to undo if you want to remove the screw without breaking it, I would use 243 or 242, they are basically the same 243 is a thicker consistency than 242. Both will allow you to remove the screw without it breaking, but will be strong enough to hold during use. I am curious how these will turn out for you guys.

Thanks for the help. Yes I think removing the screw is a must if I want to use these with heads.

• 2 weeks later...

@mpatrickriley  how is project superspeed coming along?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

[mention=58668]mpatrickriley[/mention]  how is project superspeed coming along?
I definitely appreciate your checking in. I need the kick in the pants.

Been a couple of busy weeks, and I'm currently out of town, but my wife told me that this morning there were snowflakes in Wakefield. Translation: I'll be getting back to this project soon to get my winter golf preparation started.

Full WITB with pictures

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, mpatrickriley said:

I definitely appreciate your checking in. I need the kick in the pants.

Been a couple of busy weeks, and I'm currently out of town, but my wife told me that this morning there were snowflakes in Wakefield. Translation: I'll be getting back to this project soon to get my winter golf preparation started.

Glad to, I am excited to see how the project works out for you.  I may be asking for your advice in a couple of months!  Hate to hear of the snowflakes, I am not sure I could survive a winter up there.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Jumped back into this this evening. Here are the washers, now epoxied into place (with my driver head next to them for perspective).

After these set, I'll grip them. The other modification that I'm considering is something to cushion the weights in the inevitable circumstance of hitting the ground. My thought now: a small section of pool noodle. The downside would be a small increase in wind resistance. Another possibility is PlastiDip.

IMG_20181008_210206.jpeg

Full WITB with pictures

Jumped back into this this evening. Here are the washers, now epoxied into place (with my driver head next to them for perspective).

After these set, I'll grip them. The other modification that I'm considering is something to cushion the weights in the inevitable circumstance of hitting the ground. My thought now: a small section of pool noodle. The downside would be a small increase in wind resistance. Another possibility is PlastiDip.

IMG_20181008_210206.thumb.jpeg.a466a9eca058b9f9156fa35425373377.jpeg

I know it may sound funny, but I think coating the washers with that Flex Seal would work well. With the left over you can build a boat out of your screen door 🤪 just kidding, had to throw that in there.
I will be really interested in how these workout. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone

7 minutes ago, geez2323 said:

I know it may sound funny, but I think coating the washers with that Flex Seal would work well. With the left over you can build a boat out of your screen door 🤪 just kidding, had to throw that in there.
I will be really interested in how these workout. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I think that could work well too. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock