Hey Pat I'm attempting the same thing! I'm not using the SuperSpeed specs though, and I have a really accurate scale. I'm basing my build on my total Ping G driver weight. I'm also using real driver head adapters so that I can actually use or sell these. Here's my post if you want to take a look and comment.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/25721-diy-super-speed-training-system/

Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. As the season draws to a conclusion here, I need to get back on the stick and get these finished.

Looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. As the season draws to a conclusion here, I need to get back on the stick and get these finished.

I also look forward to see what you cook up too. We have the same idea about price and weighting too. I'll probably going to use washers as well and maybe tape them to together with lead tape that I have. I'm also thinking about red loctite threadlocking glue on the tip screws.

I also look forward to see what you cook up too. We have the same idea about price and weighting too. I'll probably going to use washers as well and maybe tape them to together with lead tape that I have. I'm also thinking about red loctite threadlocking glue on the tip screws.

Using 263 red Loctite will make it really difficult to undo if you want to remove the screw without breaking it, I would use 243 or 242, they are basically the same 243 is a thicker consistency than 242. Both will allow you to remove the screw without it breaking, but will be strong enough to hold during use. I am curious how these will turn out for you guys.

Using 263 red Loctite will make it really difficult to undo if you want to remove the screw without breaking it, I would use 243 or 242, they are basically the same 243 is a thicker consistency than 242. Both will allow you to remove the screw without it breaking, but will be strong enough to hold during use. I am curious how these will turn out for you guys.

Thanks for the help. Yes I think removing the screw is a must if I want to use these with heads.

[mention=58668]mpatrickriley[/mention]  how is project superspeed coming along?
I definitely appreciate your checking in. I need the kick in the pants.

Been a couple of busy weeks, and I'm currently out of town, but my wife told me that this morning there were snowflakes in Wakefield. Translation: I'll be getting back to this project soon to get my winter golf preparation started.
  • Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, mpatrickriley said:

I definitely appreciate your checking in. I need the kick in the pants.

Been a couple of busy weeks, and I'm currently out of town, but my wife told me that this morning there were snowflakes in Wakefield. Translation: I'll be getting back to this project soon to get my winter golf preparation started.

Glad to, I am excited to see how the project works out for you.  I may be asking for your advice in a couple of months!  Hate to hear of the snowflakes, I am not sure I could survive a winter up there.

• Like 1

Jumped back into this this evening. Here are the washers, now epoxied into place (with my driver head next to them for perspective).

After these set, I'll grip them. The other modification that I'm considering is something to cushion the weights in the inevitable circumstance of hitting the ground. My thought now: a small section of pool noodle. The downside would be a small increase in wind resistance. Another possibility is PlastiDip.

IMG_20181008_210206.jpeg

• Like 4

Jumped back into this this evening. Here are the washers, now epoxied into place (with my driver head next to them for perspective).

After these set, I'll grip them. The other modification that I'm considering is something to cushion the weights in the inevitable circumstance of hitting the ground. My thought now: a small section of pool noodle. The downside would be a small increase in wind resistance. Another possibility is PlastiDip.

IMG_20181008_210206.thumb.jpeg.a466a9eca058b9f9156fa35425373377.jpeg

I know it may sound funny, but I think coating the washers with that Flex Seal would work well. With the left over you can build a boat out of your screen door 🤪 just kidding, had to throw that in there.
I will be really interested in how these workout. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, geez2323 said:

I know it may sound funny, but I think coating the washers with that Flex Seal would work well. With the left over you can build a boat out of your screen door 🤪 just kidding, had to throw that in there.
I will be really interested in how these workout. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, I think that could work well too. 

Thanks to Stud and Mr. Riley for letting me jump on this thread. I just finished building this project out for $86.56. I also want to thank Golf Mart for trading my shafts from RBG for ones that fit the latest Ping driver adapters. They are also letting me pop in every other week to track my progress. Additional costs not listed before were: $11.76 for washers and three plastic grommets from Ace Hardware. $32.36 for gluing labor from Golf Mart. And 0.99 for ten pieces of lead tape. I just used 5 of them. If you can glue grips and adapters yourself, this project would only run you about a quarter of the name brand cost.

The weights of the shafts, with grips and adaptors, ended up being really close to my drivers' shaft weight. The Atmos was the lightest at 114g and I used that one as the lightest trainer. The others including my driver was 121g. I recommend using driver adapters. With the screw and the grommet I found at Aces, I don't think the weights are flying off. I duct taped the finished product for stability, and after swinging the trainers they seem fine. Just see all the pictures below.

I used two different washers with different hole diameters, all weighed about 12g. Six of the smaller hole opening washers were used on all three trainers. These fit flush with the opening for the screw on the beveled part at the top of the adapter. The changing variable was the larger holed washers. Final weight dictated the amount used for these. Since these had a larger hole opening, I used two pieces of the lead tape to wedge the washers snugly up against the top six washers. Before taping these, I placed the grommet between the top washer and screw hole and tightened the screw in until the grommet compressed almost all the way. The heavier trainer only needed one piece of wedged lead tape because the stack reached the larger diameter of the driver adapter. Whats shown is just the heavy one.

The Final numbers are 262, 296 and 349 grams for each trainer. Not prefect from my 322g driver but almost matching a 330g driver. When you swing these trainers its obvious that there is a weight progression. Well I think that's about it, and this was super easy. Try it yourself! What's shown below is the heaviest trainer.

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

IMG_2094.JPG

IMG_2095.JPG

IMG_2096.JPG

IMG_2099.JPG

IMG_2100.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Slap said:

Thanks to Stud and Mr. Riley for letting me jump on this thread. I just finished building this project out for $86.56. I also want to thank Golf Mart for trading my shafts from RBG for ones that fit the latest Ping driver adapters. They are also letting me pop in every other week to track my progress. Additional costs not listed before were: $11.76 for washers and three plastic grommets from Ace Hardware. $32.36 for gluing labor from Golf Mart. And 0.99 for ten pieces of lead tape. I just used 5 of them. If you can glue grips and adapters yourself, this project would only run you about a quarter of the name brand cost.

The weights of the shafts, with grips and adaptors, ended up being really close to my drivers' shaft weight. The Atmos was the lightest at 114g and I used that one as the lightest trainer. The others including my driver was 121g. I recommend using driver adapters. With the screw and the grommet I found at Aces, I don't think the weights are flying off. I duct taped the finished product for stability, and after swinging the trainers they seem fine. Just see all the pictures below.

I used two different washers with different hole diameters, all weighed about 12g. Six of the smaller hole opening washers were used on all three trainers. These fit flush with the opening for the screw on the beveled part at the top of the adapter. The changing variable was the larger holed washers. Final weight dictated the amount used for these. Since these had a larger hole opening, I used two pieces of the lead tape to wedge the washers snugly up against the top six washers. Before taping these, I placed the grommet between the top washer and screw hole and tightened the screw in until the grommet compressed almost all the way. The heavier trainer only needed one piece of wedged lead tape because the stack reached the larger diameter of the driver adapter. Whats shown is just the heavy one.

The Final numbers are 262, 296 and 349 grams for each trainer. Not prefect from my 322g driver but almost matching a 330g driver. When you swing these trainers its obvious that there is a weight progression. Well I think that's about it, and this was super easy. Try it yourself! What's shown below is the heaviest trainer.

really like the way you did this. When you talked about building these with the adapter tip installed, I wasn't picturing what you had in mind. This method is really slick; nicely done!

• Like 1

really like the way you did this. When you talked about building these with the adapter tip installed, I wasn't picturing what you had in mind. This method is really slick; nicely done!

Nice job guys - I think I have a winter project

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Got the grips on tonight, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased thus far. The lightest one was 9 grams under the SuperSpeed spec. This didn't surprise me, as I mentioned above that the green grip I used on this one was about 10 grams lighter than the blue and red ones. I added two layers of tape, but that didn't make much difference.

The medium stick was off by a single gram, and the heavy one was spot on. That's better than I could have expected.

My next step is to figure out how to measure speed. Because part of the point here is to operate on a shoestring budget, buying a $100 swing radar defeats the purpose.

Everything that I already have, though, has some liabilities for the purpose. My ES12 doesn't measure swing speed, only the speed of a struck ball.

My SwingByte would have to be moved from shaft to shaft, which would slow down the exercises.

The Zepp is closest to ideal, because it stays on the glove. But I'm assuming it would be confused by the offhand swings.

So I'm likely going to use the Zepp for real-time monitoring, and use the ES12 for measuring actual progress. Using the launch monitor has the additional advantage of seeing whether the SuperSpeed program is messing with strike, as fat shots, etc., won't register the same ball speed.

Looking forward to beginning training, and seeing how the bargain bin dwellers compare with the real testers!

• Like 3

What do you think is more important? The overall weight of the trainer or the swing weight? Is there a swing weight progression as well?

8 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

What do you think is more important? The overall weight of the trainer or the swing weight? Is there a swing weight progression as well?

It's a good question, and one that I'm not fully qualified to answer. Here's my hunch: what matters most is actually putting in work with the clubs. There is undoubtedly some explanation for why SuperSpeed honed in on the exact specs they chose. And there would certainly be ranges outside of which these clubs wouldn't accomplish what they're supposed to.

But my suspicion is that if you build three sticks within a reasonable plus/minus range of an actual club and do the exercises, you'll see increases, not because of the clubs, but because of the exercises.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, romeopapazulu said:

I think in terms of swinging one driver clubhead faster which should be your gamer. So having three of the same driver shafts with the same tips and grips is a good place to start. Naturally after that the only way to add weight should be at the tip end. So yes and even in the SS trainers the only variable is the weight at the end of the trainer. So there is a natural progression of weight at the tip. I weighed my overall trainers but I knew the shafts were very similar to the weight of my drivers' shaft.

Again its clubhead speed that we are looking to increase. 

Thanks for the PDF! I printed them out but I’ll be sure to save this. I started training this Monday and I plan on doing this every other day and not skip the weekend. So I’ll get more training in that way.

I’m gonna go ahead and update my results here unless anyone thinks I should start a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy