Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

97 Yards of Trouble

NiftyNiblick

In just a few minutes, I'm off to the back doctor where I fear that I'll hear things that I don't want to hear.

I've spent the morning wistfully thinking about the plethora of New England golf courses that I've truly enjoyed playing.

One of my favorites is a par 70 track with five very demanding par 3s, three short, birdie-opportunity par 5s, and ten par 4s of nicely varied description. 

One of the par 3s is only 97 yards long. On a course with huge, sprawling putting greens, this green is pitch-and-putt sized at best. The contrast is jarring.  The green is protected by a huge, deep bunker. very nearly the size of the green itself, directly in front.

I couldn't get there with my lob wedge, and my sand wedge invariably left me in the wiry, tangled stuff just behind the green.  I can't articulate the frustration of making birdie four on the longest hole on the course, and then struggling to make bogie four on the shortest hole in the county.

My career scoring average on that hole is humiliating, but I was always anxious to play it and try to get even--maybe with an ace. Hardly. I was that little hole's ******. But having somewhat more moxie than the teenager who tries to hire an Asian kid to take his SATs for him, I always wanted another crack at that hole.

And before we go any further, no crap please about stereotyping the Asian kid.  I don't mind when people immediately presume that this dago can both sing and cook.

Maybe a choked down sand wedge or a 3/4 sand wedge swing might get you the right distance you need.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

OHHH how our heads take over sometimes. My course has 1 hole with water on it. It's a 165 yard downhill par 3 with water left and short. Easy 8 iron is the perfect club. However 1/2 off the time I am in the water. I have gotten to the point that the bunker right, 30 yards right of the water, is my target. It's in my head. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Not sure of the statistics, but par 3's seem to be the bane of most golfers.  Even the pros seem to struggle with them. For the hole you describe, I would be hitting my 9 iron at about 80%. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I love when a hole gets in my head, and by "love" I really mean hate...

The 7th hole at the course my league plays at completely has my number. It's not particularly hard or long, but MAN do I suck on that hole. My average on that hole has to be close to 6.5.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Choked down sand maybe. Or open up it up and try to fade it in a taste.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

The 18th (par 4 386) at my course is in my head and has derailed many a round. It has a 50 yard wide fairway but a drop off to water on each side. It should just be an easy 3W and wedge hole. Well, at least 50% of the time I find that water. I could hit that fairway 9/10 times if the water wasn't there.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have 2 around here that come to mind.

#2 at Quail Hollow is a 180-yd SOB (8'th hardest) that has elevated tees above a wide valley. You hit down to the green which is big, but on kind of a plateau all by itself with severely sloped sides and guarded by big bunkers. I've never gotten a ball on it off the box  :angry:

#16 at Boise Ranch is a par-3 that plays at 103-yds and is the "11'th hardest" hole. You look up to the green from the box and have to hit over a water hazard (brushy creek) that guards the valley. It has a severely sloped hill that the green sits atop that I seem to wind up on every time. My last little excursion on this hole was a complete pooch-screw. Skulled my first tee shot which dribbled pathetically just past the ladies tee box markers and stopped inside the box about 40-ft from where I hit it... :unsure: I decided to use my back-9 Mulligan and proceeded to skull that one a bit better, but it went straight into the hazard... :wacko: Decided then to "save" my Mulligan and play my first. Chunked that one, but it got some air and landed on the front-side slope and nearly rolled back into the hazard. First attempted chip was a chunk that went 4-ft. Second chip was good and landed 6-ft away from the pin. 2-putt for a lively 6  :blink:

Man, when I "decide" to muck-up a hole, I dont flippin' mess around! :o

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Thanks, guys.

At least it's not just me.

Nope, everyone has holes that we struggle to navigate round after round.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sounds like a fun hole.

New England has a ton of old courses that didn't give a rip about yardage and par - add up to 36 - you figure it out - 245 par 3, 255 par 4 one going up hill one going down - both blind followed by a 450 yard par 4 back down and 445 par 5 back up the hill.

That's what I grew up with.

That 445 hole drove me nuts - a great drive with my persimmon driver left 210 to a totally blind spot (where is that green again? Oh yeah, at that tree!)

Far easier was 18 where it was 490 but the tee was up so really 460, 260 (that I could claim 290 for) 4 iron 200 just short (actually went 185 but it's a modern day 6 iron with a substandard for today ball).

Golf was fun then too.:)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Isn't that why you keep going back? 

to conquer your demons.. 

For me it's a long par 3 plays 248 from the blues, 218 the whites and 160ish from the reds.. whites are too short for a 3wd and just a tad to long for a 3 hybrid.. the hole is dead straight with a greenside bunker on the right. I'm either trying to force a 3 hybid or baby a 3wd.. i have even tried a 7 iron to leave myself a easy chip.. Never made par lots of putts that just miss but never in.. 

gotta keep trying.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Hey Nifty, what did the doctor say? Here's hoping that your back is not going to excuse you from more rounds of this wonderful lifetime game we call Golf.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I used to play a course that had a similar yardage hole that was elevated from the tee box and I encountered the same issues, long or short. My problem was that when I tried a 3/4 or 1/2 wedge there was a 30% chance I was gonna shank it. What I started to do was choke down on my SW and set the club quickly in a half swing and fire through the ball. This brought the ball in very high and took enough distance off the wedge to hit the green. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Hey Nifty, what did the doctor say? Here's hoping that your back is not going to excuse you from more rounds of this wonderful lifetime game we call Golf.

The news wasn't good, Foz.

It seems that geriatric backs don't suddenly get better.

The doctor told me that I could try, but I had to stop immediately if spasms started.

I'm up in the air.

I love golf but not if it puts me on permanent oxycodone.

We'll take it slow and see what happens.

Right now, though, I'm not finishing a bucket on the range and can't pick up the balls easily on the practice green.

The news wasn't good, Foz.

It seems that geriatric backs don't suddenly get better.

The doctor told me that I could try, but I had to stop immediately if spasms started.

I'm up in the air.

I love golf but not if it puts me on permanent oxycodone.

We'll take it slow and see what happens.

Right now, though, I'm not finishing a bucket on the range and can't pick up the balls easily on the practice green.

So very sorry to hear the news from your doc. Will def add you t9 my prayer list for healing.

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Nope, everyone has holes that we struggle to navigate round after round.

I have 18..usually all on the same course and round...😁😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

So very sorry to hear the news from your doc. Will def add you t9 my prayer list for healing.

Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

I do appreciate it, Foz.

wish you all the best NIfty.. as someone who has broken thier back i know how difficult things become when it acts up.. take care of yourself and hopefully you and it will come to an understanding and you'll be able to figure out a way to stay playing.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Isn't that why you keep going back? 

to conquer your demons.. 

For me it's a long par 3 plays 248 from the blues, 218 the whites and 160ish from the reds.. whites are too short for a 3wd and just a tad to long for a 3 hybrid.. the hole is dead straight with a greenside bunker on the right. I'm either trying to force a 3 hybid or baby a 3wd.. i have even tried a 7 iron to leave myself a easy chip.. Never made par lots of putts that just miss but never in.. 

gotta keep trying.. 

I have a similar hole; 249 from the tips, and 195 from the Blues, but it can vary + or - 25 yards.  AND it usually plays into the prevailing wind.  There is no bunker, but anything left or right will result in a downhill/sidehill lie.  Depending on the wind, I can hit hybrid, FW, or driver.  Short is OK, so if it's particularly windy, I go for short.  I have also developed what I call a "punch shot".  I guess it's like Tiger's stinger, and I can do it with most clubs.  Rather than try to hit a normal, full swing, high (for me) shot, it's a controlled straight, low running shot.  I do pretty well, but my miss with it is turning my body too soon, and pulling the shot.  I have to take several practice swings to get the feel of it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived