TESTERS WANTED! ×

Spike or Spikeless?

fixyurdivot

Who is still wearing spikes (soft spikes), who has ditched them, and why?  In the last year, I've been playing in a pair of spikeless golf shoes (not real comfortable) and my UA Dash 2 sneakers.  Both seem to work well enough, though occasionally I feel a little slip on damp grass. The majority of my playing conditions are dry, though early morning rounds can be a bit damp from watering. 

My sneakers are really comfortable,but provide no protection from moisture.  I'd like to find a comfortable pair golf shoes that are breathable and water resistant.  I see in another thread that several recommend the Adidas Adipower Boost.  I'm thinking spikeless, but curious what others are experiencing w/o spikes.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Spiked all day for me on all my shoes. I need that stability and having some traction for those wet side-hill lies are a must during spring & fall-winter sometimes too.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I still wear soft spikes. I have some uhhh... interesting footwork with a lot of torque. I need the grip to stop from slipping around. I like the idea of waterproof sneakers but I don't think the would work for me. I have heard great things about them and the work for most people.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Well, I've got multiple pairs of both spikeless and spiked golf shoes.  Keep in mind that I am guy who grew up wearing metal spikes on the golf course, because that was expected and there weren't any other options at the time, so all of these new fangled type of shoes are tough to grow on me.

My spikeless shoes are a pair of Ecco that I got on sale for about $85 almost 4 years ago, mostly born out of necessity, as my golf shoes that day decided to completely fall apart, so I needed to replace them.  I still wear this pair from time to time, and they are very comfortable, but slippage sometimes happens, as I generally swing "out of my shoes".

My other pair of spikeless is a pair of Asics that honestly look like a pair of regular sneakers.  They have some special footprint that they designed that I guess classifies these as golf shoes, and I paid only $40 for them, and they slip rather easily on the golf course, so I don't wear them very often.  They are just as comfortable as sneakers though, so if I don't feel like changing shoes from the house to the golf course, I'll throw these on, mostly because yes, I'm just that lazy.  I can wear them anywhere, and they work fine that way.

I have a pair of black Footjoy with spikes that I bought on clearance for about $35 a couple of years ago.  Amazingly, these are the best waterproof shoes I have, and also the most comfortable pair of golf shoes I own.  But because they are black, and I live in Florida, they sit in my house during the summer, as black attracts heat and are too hot to wear when it's hot outside and the sun is already beating you into submission on a daily basis.

I bought a pair of Skechers Blaze for $40 online I think, and I really like these shoes, except for the fact that they are a half size too small, so I don't wear them every round.  They are blue too, so again, the darker color attracts the heat, although not as badly as the black pair do.  When I am ready to purchase golf shoes again I am leaning heavily towards Skechers again,  I have about 4 pair of skechers shoes overall, and they are incredibly comfortable. I just don't like to spend a ton of money on shoes, which leads me to my final pair.

Last year I bought a pair of Footjoy Freestyle on sale for $120.  These are white with blue styling, and they have the gel contour spikes on the bottom, etc and all of that.  These shoes are ok, but I think I'm done buying Footjoy shoes, period.  This pair for whatever reason, has this gripping heel insert that just rips up my socks.  It's borderline ridiculous honestly, as when I am done playing I go to take my shoes off, and half of my sock is stuck to the back of this shoe.  I mean, really?  I even called Footjoy about it, but I guess I just waited way too long to call them, as after 6 months there is nothing they will do to exchange or reimburse your money.  These shoes are fairly comfortable, but at this point I spent so much money on these shoes that I wear them just about every round now, with the sole intention of seeing how long it takes me to destroy them.  

As much as I play I can wear through some golf shoes pretty fast.  But for my money I'll go with a new pair of Skechers next time I need golf shoes, in about a year or two I would guess.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Definitely soft spikes for me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have both. Until this year I had no issues but I have noticed I started to slip more with spikeless and haven't golfed on them for months. I really like my FJ DNA shoes

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

How long have you had the DNA's and how are they holding up/working for you?

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm still angry about the steel spikes being eliminated.

I know it's been a long time, now, but nobody holds grudges like old Sicilians.

(Look how I rant on about "jacked lofts.")

I was playing both soft spikes and traction soles when I last played regularly.

They were both ok, marginally, but if you've been around long enough to have played nails,

you know that neither is as good as what they replaced.

What was the problem with steel again?

How long have you had the DNA's and how are they holding up/working for you?

Been wearing them since 2015. They are holding up nice and are still waterproof. I do need new spikes though broke a few this year, but 3 years I'll take it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm still angry about the steel spikes being eliminated.

I know it's been a long time, now, but nobody holds grudges like old Sicilians.

(Look how I rant on about "jacked lofts.")

I was playing both soft spikes and traction soles when I last played regularly.

They were both ok, marginally, but if you've been around long enough to have played nails,

you know that neither is as good as what they replaced.

What was the problem with steel again?

I was trying to explain this to my wife tonight, and the best reason I can come up with, if I recall correctly, is that too many dudes were ruining greens with their metal spikes, so some dude invented the soft spike. Next thing you know, all golf courses colluded together with the shoe manufacturers to never sell metal spikes ever again, and put a sign at every course that says "no metal spikes allowed."

and yeah, I'm with you. I miss my spikes.

I love the Footjoy Club Professionals. Doesn't look like much of a tread but I don't slip in them. They look a lot like icons, but nowhere near as expensive!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Byron, Illinois

Right-handed

Handicap: 5

Driver: Cobra Fly-Z+ 8.5* Weigh back- Aldila Tour Blue 65 Stiff

3 Wood: Cobra Fly-Z+ 14.5*- Aldila Tour Blue 85 Stiff

Hybrid: Cobra Fly-Z 20.5*- Matrix VLCT Altus 75 Stiff

Irons: Titleist AP2 712 4-PW- Dynamic Gold S400

Wedges: Titleist SM5 52*, 56*, 60*- Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #9 32" SuperStroke Ultra Slim 1.0

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1 

Got a pair of Nike Lunar spiked shoes I got 3 years ago and love them. Waterproof and crazy comfortable. Feet never get tired and provide great traction. They give me no reason to get anything else spiked for now.

For Fathers Day my kids got me a pair of Nike Roshe spikeless shoes. I have been waiting to try out something spikeless and figured the price point wasn't bad to start with. Comfortable, light, and good traction. Usually wear these driving range sessions and haven't tried them out yet on a full round.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I've never, ever liked spikes for golf - I always preferred to play in sneakers over old school spikes and hated what they did to Greens when others wore them. Plus the rule that didn't allow for the fixing of spike marks was an absolute joke. I really needed to distinguish what out the mark in the green to fix it? I have to fix imperfections in a hazard (trap) to protect the field but my round could swing because some guy dragged his feet taking the ball out of the cup. And that's making it a level playing playing field?

No one was happier with the advent of spike less golf shoes than I. I could wear “sneakers” on the course, feel comfortable, for whatever reason it helps my swing and those who prefer spikes got to keep them in their soft spikes while greens aren't damaged nearly as much.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll never forget that clickety-clack sound of my first pair of golf shoes, when walking around the pavement at the club. Yes, I was only about 10 years old, but I felt like a golfer. That said, I am totally in with spikes as I play in the mornings and the spikeless would slip on the wet grass.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm a spikeless guy...my Sketchers are like walking on clouds.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I've never, ever liked spikes for golf . No one was happier with the advent of spike less golf shoes than I..

Steel spikes let you really rip when you needed to.

They also provided better footing on side hill or other awkward  lies.

Plus you played baseball, Rev, so I'm a little surprised that you didn't feel benefit from the value of spikes.

But I do envy you, Rev, because you don't have to miss them.

For me, they're just another thing to be a grumpy old man about,

And as all of MGS knows, I'm too predisposed toward leaning that way as it is.

Steel spikes let you really rip when you needed to.

They also provided better footing on side hill or other awkward lies.

Plus you played baseball, Rev, so I'm a little surprised that you didn't feel benefit from the value of spikes.

But I do envy you, Rev, because you don't have to miss them.

For me, they're just another thing to be a grumpy old man about,

And as all of MGS knows, I'm too predisposed toward leaning that way as it is.

What you write makes sense - but I was never comfortable in metal golf spikes - for whatever reason my on course balance has always been good unless it was really wet on a side hill.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm still a spike man I suppose. Soft-spikes. My new shoes have 25% less spikes as compared to my previous shoes. These NB shoes have only 6 soft-spikes. Most of the sole area is nubs. I usually complain each round where some slub dragged or rotated his fat foot on the green. Would spikeless shoes eliminate this? To some extent I believe. Honestly, I don't think I really would play differently without spikes. I can see myself next time moving to a different type of shoe. Perhaps even a running shoe of some kind with a good grip style sole.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24610-new-balance-minimus-shoe/?hl=%2Bnew+%2Bbalance

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm a bit of a shoe freak. I have 9 pairs of Golf Shoes; two pair of Ecco Cool GTX, Puma Tour, Addidas Bounce II, Nike TW14, FJ Street, Nike Lunar Clayton's, FJ ST, and Jordan Trainer ST Gs.

The Nike TW14 and Jordan's have a similar spikeless design which works well on dry turf. If it's wet I need more grip so I go with one of my spiked shoes. The Nike Clayton are a very classic looking spikeless Oxford style which looks great with pants. My absolute favorite for comfort is the FJ Streets. The Chuck Taylor style isn't for everyone but the leather is incredibly soft and they are oh so comfortable. They have spikes but only 5 per shoe.

Image1533377597.776491.jpg

I prefer the grip of spikes and the comfort of spikeless thus the many pairs. I also like to match style of shoe with my outfit. I know I know I'm .

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

What I wear depends on the course and conditions. The local muni is extremely hilly so even on try days I prefer to wear my Nike spikes there.

There's also a very flat 9 hole that I play after work sometimes that I almost always wear my spikeless Pumas on. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

After thinking about this topic more last night I looked up various sport shoe companies to see their offerings for non-golf shoes. I found many choices for decent comfortable looking shoes that are primarily billed as a "running" shoe. Seemed to me many of these would also be good choices for playing golf if one decided to not wear spikes. I even found some that appeared to be more like traditional golf shoes even though they were in the running shoe category. Quite a few I liked were sub $100 range too. I'll concede that some of the shoes didn't appear to have much sole grip as opposed to spikeless golf shoes. I'm guessing they are designed more for pavement?

Anyway... I think I might give this approach a serious look next time I need golf shoes. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I'm still a spike man I suppose. Soft-spikes. My new shoes have 25% less spikes as compared to my previous shoes. These NB shoes have only 6 soft-spikes. Most of the sole area is nubs. I usually complain each round where some slub dragged or rotated his fat foot on the green. Would spikeless shoes eliminate this? To some extent I believe. Honestly, I don't think I really would play differently without spikes. I can see myself next time moving to a different type of shoe. Perhaps even a running shoe of some kind with a good grip style sole.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24610-new-balance-minimus-shoe/?hl=%2Bnew+%2Bbalance

You bring up a good point about soft spikes.  My observation is that they tend to leave worse green marks than the old steel spikes.  Their design adds many more points than the single steel spike. Last week, someone ahead of us was leaving a mess or marks at every hole.  New design = easy on carpet, wood, and linoleum floors; not so good for turf.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

You bring up a good point about soft spikes.  My observation is that they tend to leave worse green marks than the old steel spikes.  Their design adds many more points than the single steel spike. Last week, someone ahead of us was leaving a mess or marks at every hole.  New design = easy on carpet, wood, and linoleum floors; not so good for turf.

Exactly!!

Wonder why no one ever made a more modern shoe with plastic spikes that resemble the old steel spikes?

I dig the comfort of spikeless. I haven't slipped due to lack of proper traction with my Adidas. I just ordered some Ecco's. Ive heard such good things about them.

Until I slip and fall during an early morning round I think I'll keep wearing spikeless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I mostly go with spineless. Pro s/l and lunar control vapor 2 give me good traction and are comfortable. Only wear spikes if really wet or I want to use the two pair of Jordan's I have

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have had very good luck going spikeless with FootJoy Versaluxe, They fit better than any recent golf shoe I've had. And, as it always seems to happen, I find a shoe I love, and it gets discontinued. Not sure what I'll go to next.

I have had very good luck going spikeless with FootJoy Versaluxe, They fit better than any recent golf shoe I've had. And, as it always seems to happen, I find a shoe I love, and it gets discontinued. Not sure what I'll go to next.

EBay is a great place to find new old stock. You just have to be patient. I've had great luck when I search periodically for s specific model and size.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Archived