What I wear depends on the course and conditions. The local muni is extremely hilly so even on try days I prefer to wear my Nike spikes there.

There's also a very flat 9 hole that I play after work sometimes that I almost always wear my spikeless Pumas on. 

After thinking about this topic more last night I looked up various sport shoe companies to see their offerings for non-golf shoes. I found many choices for decent comfortable looking shoes that are primarily billed as a "running" shoe. Seemed to me many of these would also be good choices for playing golf if one decided to not wear spikes. I even found some that appeared to be more like traditional golf shoes even though they were in the running shoe category. Quite a few I liked were sub $100 range too. I'll concede that some of the shoes didn't appear to have much sole grip as opposed to spikeless golf shoes. I'm guessing they are designed more for pavement?

Anyway... I think I might give this approach a serious look next time I need golf shoes. 

I'm still a spike man I suppose. Soft-spikes. My new shoes have 25% less spikes as compared to my previous shoes. These NB shoes have only 6 soft-spikes. Most of the sole area is nubs. I usually complain each round where some slub dragged or rotated his fat foot on the green. Would spikeless shoes eliminate this? To some extent I believe. Honestly, I don't think I really would play differently without spikes. I can see myself next time moving to a different type of shoe. Perhaps even a running shoe of some kind with a good grip style sole.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/24610-new-balance-minimus-shoe/?hl=%2Bnew+%2Bbalance

You bring up a good point about soft spikes.  My observation is that they tend to leave worse green marks than the old steel spikes.  Their design adds many more points than the single steel spike. Last week, someone ahead of us was leaving a mess or marks at every hole.  New design = easy on carpet, wood, and linoleum floors; not so good for turf.

You bring up a good point about soft spikes.  My observation is that they tend to leave worse green marks than the old steel spikes.  Their design adds many more points than the single steel spike. Last week, someone ahead of us was leaving a mess or marks at every hole.  New design = easy on carpet, wood, and linoleum floors; not so good for turf.

Exactly!!

Wonder why no one ever made a more modern shoe with plastic spikes that resemble the old steel spikes?

• Like 2

I dig the comfort of spikeless. I haven't slipped due to lack of proper traction with my Adidas. I just ordered some Ecco's. Ive heard such good things about them.

Until I slip and fall during an early morning round I think I'll keep wearing spikeless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I mostly go with spineless. Pro s/l and lunar control vapor 2 give me good traction and are comfortable. Only wear spikes if really wet or I want to use the two pair of Jordan's I have

• Like 1

I have had very good luck going spikeless with FootJoy Versaluxe, They fit better than any recent golf shoe I've had. And, as it always seems to happen, I find a shoe I love, and it gets discontinued. Not sure what I'll go to next.

I have had very good luck going spikeless with FootJoy Versaluxe, They fit better than any recent golf shoe I've had. And, as it always seems to happen, I find a shoe I love, and it gets discontinued. Not sure what I'll go to next.

EBay is a great place to find new old stock. You just have to be patient. I've had great luck when I search periodically for s specific model and size.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I have both and wear both. There's a place for both but I maybe the wrong person to ask I may have a problem with shoes

• Like 1

I like the soft spikes in the winter and spikeless in the summer. Now if they were waterproof that would be nice.

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a shoe freak. I have 9 pairs of Golf Shoes; two pair of Ecco Cool GTX, Puma Tour, Addidas Bounce II, Nike TW14, FJ Street, Nike Lunar Clayton's, FJ ST, and Jordan Trainer ST Gs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

By chance is your last name Marcos?  :lol:  

I'm a spikeless guy...my Sketchers are like walking on clouds.

I totally agree.. I haven't wore spikes in probably 6+ years. And my sketchers are awesome. I can count on one hand the amount of times my traction was compromised.

• Like 1

I totally agree.. I haven't wore spikes in probably 6+ years. And my sketchers are awesome. I can count on one hand the amount of times my traction was compromised.

Been considering Sketchers as they have become quite popular the last few years.  Yesterday morning we teed off at 8:30 and the tees were still damp.  I was slipping in my spikeless and that wasn't providing me the confidence to clear my left hip. I'm now trying to find a shoe that offers something between almost smooth soles and those which look like course aerators. Something just aggressive enough  :unsure:???

All of you linksters who love spike-less are guaranteeing with your comments that steel doesn't come back.  Maybe it's good that I can't play, regardless of footwear, anymore.

There's no question that I played better with steel,

no question at all,

although being younger may have contributed a little bit as well.

All of you linksters who love spike-less are guaranteeing with your comments that steel doesn't come back.  Maybe it's good that I can't play, regardless of footwear, anymore.

There's no question that I played better with steel,

no question at all,

although being younger may have contributed a little bit as well.

I cannot imagine traditional steel spikes will ever be in vogue again. While I wore them for decades, I absolutely hated the way the sound they made when having to walk on pavement.  The aggressive designed non metal spikes look to offer every bit as much traction.