Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Who Changed their swing and ruined their golf game

Gg Owen

Who on here completely revamped their golf swing and destroyed their golf game. Either from recommendations of a teaching pro. Or over tinkering on ones own.

That's me right now. I am working with a coach who changed my swing and I am still struggling after several months.

I want to believe it's just a matter of time before it will turn around. But it's difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Who on here completely revamped their golf swing and destroyed their golf game. Either from recommendations of a teaching pro. Or over tinkering on ones own.

I went to a coach twice. I fully committed and did what he said. I tried that swing for two months and my handicap ballooned from 13 to 18. I then decided to get rid of the coach and work on my game myself. With myself as a coach I have had about 30 different swings. I usually revert to the original version and keep the best parts of the new version and combine them with the original swing. This has helped me steadily reduce my handicap. I am now at a 8.5 trending down. My ball striking has really improved to maybe a 4 handicap. I just need to improve my chipping and tee ball to get much better.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Forgot telling my story as the OP. We had a local men's player who consistently shot mid to low 80.His Goal was dropping from 80's > 70's scoring.So, he did the wisest thing and decided on going ‘all in' with a local teacher.This instructor believed in certain ‘required' positions for all his students success.After a season of one on one instruction he was left with a mess.He ended up losing the ability of advancing a driver more than 200 yards and crooked.His scores have ballooned and can barely break 90.Many told him go back with the natural swing.Refusing all logical advice, he sticks with it and continues taking lessons from that instructor.When does one reach the breaking point.!??Realizing the info he has been given isn't working for him

I previously posted this on the thread about best and worst advice. In HS I took a lesson for some reason from one of the "volunteer" coaches. The lesson had nothing to do with building upon or correcting things in my swing. It was all about changing my swing entirely to the Jimmy Ballard "connected" method. One lesson totally wrecked everything. It was easily 6 months before I could play again without lapsing back into that garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sorry you guys have experienced this

I've had three teachers in the last 15 years ( because of a move and a club membership) all have been great, all have taught similarly - none have tried to teach any sort of radical change - they've just kept me on track by tweaking what I already do well.

My current coach has a very successful LPGA player (2 majors) and more DI scholarship kids than I can count. He's very good.

None of those guys would look to “change” a player's swing.

I went to Ballard's school way back when - Jim McLean was the primary teacher at the time, it got me on the right track.

I suppose there are hack teacher's out there, most aren't. Look for one who has a class A certification and talk to him first, if you don't like what he says in your interview, find someone else.

Might you take a step back to improve? Of course. But if you have time to practice you should improve in a month, two at most, unless you are trying to become a touring pro. Then it's a year with lots of time in the gym.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Because of perhaps my irrational fear of this happening, I never took a lesson.

I was always fearful that an instructor would want to tear my swing down. Irrational in that I know most are pretty upfront about their strategy/intentions.

Very sorry for all who had to deal with this.

From a teaching or coaches perspective let me share this story

We once had a patient who was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident. After multiple surgeries he began a long and painful physical therapy road to recovery. Everyday after an hour or two of physical therapy he would simply sit quietly in his dimly lit room adjusting to the pain. One day I walked in and noticed him staring at a photo of his family located on the other side of the room. I asked if he would like me to move it closer so that he could see. His response moved me! He said, “no don't move it because for me to get to that I have to go through this” “this is hard but in the end when I make it back home it will all be worth the pain”.

You just have to trust the process. You may have some really bad rounds in the beginning as your muscle memory and coordinated movements are reprogrammed. Still to get to better golf 🏌️‍♀️ sometimes you have to go through bad golf.

“To get to that you have to go through this”

Good, better, best.

Never ever rest.

Until your good is better

and your better is best.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I feel like Rev.... sorry for those who have experienced this.

Personally I've never gone to a pro/coach and asked for a makeover. I've always just needed tweaks here and there to keep me on track.

I strongly think that people seeking "lessons" should not go into it blind. What I mean is YOU tell the pro what you are hoping to accomplish. Don't let some some golf pro take the reins. I've seen far too many people do this and their game went to crap trying to absorb all the moves this guy pumped into their head. For me I ask for one or two simple things to focus on and then I go work on this for a while. I also TOLD my Pro initially that I didn't want a makeover. I only wanted to improve what I have. I wasn't hoping to be the next Adam Scott. 

Earlier this summer I was hitting some balls one evening and one of our Pros was giving a lady a lesson. I felt so sorry for her. This guy was instructing her on every move from the feet to the head and everything in between. She wasn't a rank beginner because I've seen her around.  But this stupid Pro was unloading the entire golf swing book on her at once. Guess he showed her how much he knew. Sad.

And come to think about it.... I haven't seen her in months. Hmmm?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Nice illustration stedygolf.

I'd like to say that I don't understand being afraid of taking lessons. The reality is that if you take a group of 10 golfers, have them commit to taking a series of lessons and then work on what they are taught, their will be tangible improvement.

In fact that would be a great MGS test - take three groups of 5 golfers this winter. Have one group follow its regular routine, anyway group get fully fit for equipment and then follow its regular routine and the final group make the commitment to take lessons, follow the coach's advice (which may include equipment changes or a fitness program) practice and play.

I can't speak to the OP but generally I've observed that guys who are reluctant to take lessons have had a bad experience that they brought upon themselves by taking a lesson expecting a miracle and then rejecting what they learned after a bucket of balls or round that didn't turn out so well or they know someone who had that happen.

That was me in my early 20's. I learned by doing it my way and having a game that could produce a round in the 60's occasionally and in the 80's frequently - usually when I needed a round in the low 70's. I also screwed up my back.

In my early 30's the Ballard school gave me consistency - you could take 73-78 to the bank on me. I did have a lost season in there but I stuck with what I learned. Teacher number two, in my 40's, plus improved equipment, moved me to 70-75 or 4 to 1. No changes there, just tweaks.

Teacher number 3 helped me to maintain and number 4 has had the task of trying to help me back after age, work hours and family obligations have done a number on my game.

So good luck but my sincere encouragement to anyone here would be to stick with the lessons. The best golfers have coaches. It's just a fact.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

A few years ago my wife surprised me with a package of lessons from Golftec, so I gave it a try. My swing WAS single plane, simple and advanced the ball in the proper direction. After being hooked up to sensors and being video taped, the instructor has me change this, change that, yada yada yada.

I was a mess for a full season until I took out my little brown Natural Golf book and relearned the basics. It took me a year to undo what Golftec had done, and a lot less time then that to realize that I'm not giving another charlatan a nickle to "help" my swing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I went through that one time. Now my old man was a pro and instructor but I did never go by his way of doing things period. One of his friends a fellow pro did change my grip from an interlock to an overlap when I was 14 and I have did that ever since

Now about 15 years ago now I got into the golf shop business and was playing the minis some. My partner got this guy who was an instructor that was connected to our shop to work with me some. Tried to slow my fast swing up and it threw me off too much. I got to where I could not play at all . I was terrible was just about to quit the game period. 

Now another friend of mine was one of the top instructors on the beach at the time. To give him credit he never tried to change me or tell me anything. He knew I was working with this other guy. He is the type that will not say anything bad about anyone. One day we were playing at this course and I shot like 45 on the front side and he could not hold back. He had seen enough. He asked me "How long have you been playing golf?" I told him at the time over 30 years. he said yeah and you were a pretty decent player until you got to screwing with XXXXX. Yeah I said. Well he told me go back to the way you know how to play golf. Forget that BS and play your game that you taught yourself your way. I did and shot 38 on the back side--- I went at it my way right or wrong and have never looked back-- One thing I do not do now is loop the club in the back swing to reroute it like I used to. That is because I do not pull it back far enough to loop it anymore. But I will stress that was a natural move for me because I have always been a strictly feel player. In all seriousness I do not recommend some of the stuff I do to anyone because it is all natural and unique to me and my swing and you can not teach some of the stuff I do. My friend did video me one time for his own learning edification as he put it. He never would let me see the tape because in his words he did not want me to get to thinking about my swing. We left it at that

Some people IMHO can benefit from lessons and some are wasting their money. Now I will give 3 solid pieces of advice and Rev and the other old timers on here have heard me say this before:

If going the instruction route get an instructor that you have confidence and you can work with.

Listen to the methods that instructor teaches you and do not listen watch or read other instruction

Practice on the range what your instructor teaches you--- Instruction ain't worth two hoots if you do not practice what you are taught. Too many people think if they are working with "Joe Pro" the instructor they are going to immediately shave a lot of strokes off their score. They will take the lessons and then make no effort to practice what they are taught. Then they try to blame the instructor

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I feel like Rev.... sorry for those who have experienced this.

Personally I've never gone to a pro/coach and asked for a makeover. I've always just needed tweaks here and there to keep me on track.

I strongly think that people seeking "lessons" should not go into it blind. What I mean is YOU tell the pro what you are hoping to accomplish. Don't let some some golf pro take the reins. I've seen far too many people do this and their game went to crap trying to absorb all the moves this guy pumped into their head. For me I ask for one or two simple things to focus on and then I go work on this for a while. I also TOLD my Pro initially that I didn't want a makeover. I only wanted to improve what I have. I wasn't hoping to be the next Adam Scott. 

Earlier this summer I was hitting some balls one evening and one of our Pros was giving a lady a lesson. I felt so sorry for her. This guy was instructing her on every move from the feet to the head and everything in between. She wasn't a rank beginner because I've seen her around.  But this stupid Pro was unloading the entire golf swing book on her at once. Guess he showed her how much he knew. Sad.

And come to think about it.... I haven't seen her in months. Hmmm?

Funny thing is that you and I think exactly alike. I sometimes wonder if my old man hung out in Texas some back in the day if you get my drift  ^_^

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I never understood why a coach would change a swing. I get if your a new golfer I'm sure the swing is crap. But if your a good golfer it's your swing and you would think a couple swing tweaks would be the right play. Does that sound off Normally when going through a slump it's something minor you aren't doing correctly.

I believe that to be successful with an instructor you need to start as a high handicap. While you can have success as a low handicapper(like Rev did), starting as a low capper that has never seen a lesson you most likely have a swing that "works" but isn't technically perfect. Starting as low capper you will have things that work for you changed to something else that might not work as well.

But, starting as a high capper have a swing that is still changeable. Then starting with a pro that will change things that don't work into a better swing. You don't have habits that are set in stone as a high capper.

IMHO any pro can build a good swing, but not all pros can work well with someone who has a swing that "works". If you are a high capper; that is the time to start with a coach, then the coach can help you swing before you really engrain your bad habits. Any coach can turn a high capper with a bad swing into a mid-low capper with a good swing.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Not purposely changed. But 4-5 months off and you forget what to do.

I've had both styles of instruction. The ones who changed everything. And ones who changed just a little. Learned a ton from both of them. But as Shankster stated, the long winter months completely change everything. No matter how much mirror work or indoor hitting into nets. Not being on the course for 5-6 months is no bueno

Keep it in the short stuff

In college and just after passing the PAT I changed my grip. I was super left hand strong, David Duval Strong. I went more neutral so that my hands were nearly facing each other.

Everything was a push slice in the worst way. I took nearly twenty steps backwards in order to move forward.

After two years of suffering it was the best swing decision I ever made.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The first pro from whom I took lessons was an ancient hickory shaft veteran.

He got me to a basic golf swing which was good for me if not pretty.

I'm a naturally flat, inside out swinger. 

My stroke looks like a Nike Swoosh.

After contact, the club doesn't swing naturally back around me but flies straight up the target line.

That didn't do my back a lot of good, but I never hit a slice unless it was on purpose, and I never lost smash factor from a reverse C.   If I went right, it was a dead push that didn't come back.

A quick, snapshot lesson that I later took as an older player really helped.  Because of lost flexibility, I had acquired the habit of lifting my left heel for a bit more backswing.  That was killing me, consistency wise, until this latter pro noticed it and I went back to keeping it planted. The improvement was instant.

Other than that, I didn't take "swing" lessons. I occasionally took a lesson to learn a specific shot.

A former LPGA Tour player showed me the cut lob that I had tried to learn from a magazine.  She not only showed me why I was screwing it up, but also chastised me for using it unnecessarily when I should have been getting the ball down on the ground with a chip.  I always preferred lobbing close to the stick to chipping and needed to be reminded. Usually I didn't pay attention.

Forgot telling my story as the OP. We had a local men's player who consistently shot mid to low 80.His Goal was dropping from 80's > 70's scoring.So, he did the wisest thing and decided on going ‘all in' with a local teacher.This instructor believed in certain ‘required' positions for all his students success.After a season of one on one instruction he was left with a mess.He ended up losing the ability of advancing a driver more than 200 yards and crooked.His scores have ballooned and can barely break 90.Many told him go back with the natural swing.Refusing all logical advice, he sticks with it and continues taking lessons from that instructor.When does one reach the breaking point.!??Realizing the info he has been given isn't working for him

This example right here is why I've never had a lesson, and have basically self taught myself for the past 40 years or so, with limited advice and implementation of swing ideas. I'm scared as hell that I'll lose the ability to hit the ball well, and will end up wanting to quit the game because I hit it so bad. I mean, what is this guy's long term goal, PGA Tour? Ultimately that's what you would have to decide PRIOR to embarking on this mission. You decide a time frame for the lessons and the teacher before you give it up and go back to what you knew when. For me that would have been about after a month of playing like total crap.

But this sort of thing just isn't an amateur thing. I've seen Martin Kaymer and Padraig Harrington try and remake their swings and their game to try and win the Masters, which meant they had to change their shot shape, both with absolutely horrible results. Kaymer has recovered fairly well, but Harrington absolutely fell off the planet trying to remake his golf swing into something he never had. I mean, the dude has 3 majors and it wasn't good enough? Shoot, keep what you have going, and keep winning Open Championships. So you never win the Masters. There are about 10,000 pros in the history of golf that are in that category. There are worse lots in life.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've always got a chuckle out of people that say “my P6 needs work”.And yet they are a high handicap like me

ok, I'll bite. What's a “P6”?

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

When I had more time, I tinkered with my swing constantly. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst.

This year, after 15 months of absolutely no golf, and only playing a couple of times in the 3 months before that, I made a drastic change. I went to the 4 Magic Moves golf swing, because I was getting effortless power and very straight shots. However, if I played more than 18 holes a week, my back hurt. It starts the downswing with a lateral hip slide and that accumulates to aggravate an old injury.

I was planning on sticking with this no matter what, thinking I could eventually adjust, but suddenly last Sunday morning, I arrived only 1/2 an hour before tee time, I could not get through the ball at all with that swing. I had played 36 holes the day before, and my back was killing me.

So, I changed my swing completely. Grip, takeaway, backswing, downswing, follow through. About the only thing I did was keep on the same clothes I put on that morning. After the first 18 holes one of my playing partners pointed out that he could tell I had tried 3 different swings during the round. Oddly enough, I played well enough to win a little money. This swing keeps me more stacked, and the body follows not leads. I do not get the same distance, but I am able to walk to the bathroom at night relatively pain free. This is a plus.

Luckily, I had been tinkering with this swing on short shots for a couple of weeks, because I was not happy with my full swing fundamentals with the wedges in certain situations. I was able to simply ramp up my partial wedge swing to a full swing. I'm happy with everything except the driver swing right now.

Strike that statement, after 27 holes today, I went to the range and worked with the driver a bit more, and may be happy with the driver swing now. I am happy that I had no serious back pain after playing today. I currently, don't even touch a club Monday thru Friday so it's kinda tough to work on my swing when not on the course.

Luckily, these guys only want to play for skins, not total score so I can try some different things especially if its obvious I'm not going to win the hole. We had 15 player this morning so only birdies or better was likely to win a skin. Well, today, I had 3 birdies and still didn't win a skin.

Who knows, I have considered using two entirely different swings. One for driver, and one for all the others. I decided to use the interlock grip with this swing and was using the overlap with the 4MM. This seems to aid me in not mixing and matching the swings. Although, I am not giving advise to do this.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 1 year later...

I have been playing for 20 years, was shouting in the low 90’s, took a classes over the winter for the first time. Never played or practice as much as I do now. My game went from the low 90 to about 106 to 110. I can’t keep the ball in play off the tee as my tee shots are going a mile left. I have not had a par in over 20 rounds when before I had 5 or 6 a round. I had a over the top swing before but I could hit some decent iron shots. After changing the swing, I can’t hit the green from 100 yards in. I knew that I was going to get worse before getting better but I didn’t think it was going to be this bad. I don’t know if I had the stamina to stick with the game especially since I can’t compete with guys I used to beat easily before. I don’t know if it is even possible to get to where I was before changing the swing, getting better from that point does even look like it is possible right now. The most frustrating part is that I am hitting the middle of the face more frequently but all that those is produce a hook that ends up in an unplayable or very difficult position to  recover from. 

38 minutes ago, Tony Cayey said:

I have been playing for 20 years, was shouting in the low 90’s, took a classes over the winter for the first time. Never played or practice as much as I do now. My game went from the low 90 to about 106 to 110. I can’t keep the ball in play off the tee as my tee shots are going a mile left. I have not had a par in over 20 rounds when before I had 5 or 6 a round. I had a over the top swing before but I could hit some decent iron shots. After changing the swing, I can’t hit the green from 100 yards in. I knew that I was going to get worse before getting better but I didn’t think it was going to be this bad. I don’t know if I had the stamina to stick with the game especially since I can’t compete with guys I used to beat easily before. I don’t know if it is even possible to get to where I was before changing the swing, getting better from that point does even look like it is possible right now. The most frustrating part is that I am hitting the middle of the face more frequently but all that those is produce a hook that ends up in an unplayable or very difficult position to  recover from. 

Yeah, having a teacher put in the swing changes put us in a place where "new" bad things happen and we have no idea what caused it.   Very unsettling.  If we trust in to every being taught without knowing what it can do good or bad, we are lost.

Hopefully you can catch up with your teacher and get back on track.   Could be rectified easily. 

Now you guys are scaring me. I have been dropping my handicap fairly quickly. Over 10 strokes in the last 10 months. I plan on lessons in the late fall and was waiting until I had a decent and consistent swing to do so. My before swing... well there was too many of them and I feel like I am now bringing a consistent swing to the course. Was hoping to refine things and get pointers on what I need to work on as I know I have some flaws. But not looking to get everything torn down and built back up. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I am now 2 years into a swing change. Had to fix my pull hooks that always appeared at the worst moments. I got a pack of lessons and then just drills and Monte videos since then. The pro I worked with was good about drills to tweak rather than fully overhaul, but I still had a lot of fits and starts with my progress. Went from a 6 HC up to 11 and lost all confidence off the tee. I am finally shallowed out and playing better golf than ever (75 today with a clean card on the front!), but the driver still isn’t back to where it was on good days pre-change. The good news is my pull hooks are just about gone and I trust my swing even when I have less than my best. My goal was to get down to a 2-3 and I am not there yet, but I think it was worth it looking back. If you asked me 6 months ago though, I would have said something different!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

• 3 weeks later...

The short answer is YES!

But compare the swings of Matt Wolff vs Bryson DeChambeau. At first glance the two could not be more different, but at impact they are similar. They just take vastly different paths to get there. If they tried to copy each other than they would be making 10’s on par 5’s. Oh wait, Bryson just did that.

Bottom line is you have to reach impact as fast as possible and to get there you will have find the path that fits you.

You can get input from any source whether that is a coach or YouTube or TV or whatever, and take what works for you and forget the rest and practice. Absent a coach who can visually see what you are doing, you need to video your swing.

I wasted close to a year thinking I was grooving a “new golf swing” with no improvement, but the video showed after the first 2” of the swing it was the same as my old swing but not natural.

I am playing my best golf in years and hitting some of my longest drives of my life (at 56). And I have parts and pieces from probably hundreds of sources that I have recently put together that fit me.

Just my opinion, but golf instructors aren't any different from hitting / pitching instructors when it comes to baseball. I coached for years, and I constantly watched good, amateur players get discouraged when they went to highly recommended (or convenient) instructors and didn't improve - but got worse. Most instructors have a "philosophy" and that's what they stick with.  I would imagine it's the same with golf. Many times you can't blame the instructor.  Most of them learned their trade a certain way, and that's the way they teach to get their students to improve. Applying what they know, based on a different swing "philosophy", to a student's swing is hit or miss at best.  I would imagine the best amateur golf instructors have much in common with the better coaches in other sports.  They have enough general AND specific knowledge in all aspects (of the golf swing in this case) to first find out what might be causing issues in their new student's current swing and then go about fixing it.

Like someone else mentioned - in golf it's all about impact. How each golfer gets there can differ wildly.  But if they all get to impact in a good position, is one "Style" right or wrong over other?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems that the big difference with golf is the amount of time that the vast majority of amateur golfers can / will spend on practice / improving their swing and how much free time that takes up versus actually playing golf.

Again, just my opinion, it seems that an open and honest conversation with a potential instructor, or maybe an initial, abbreviated lesson, would head off most issues.

A clear goal would also be of immense help.  I was picking the brain of a friend who was essentially a scratch golfer for years. He doesn't play all that much currently because of family responsibilities. I told him of my recent changes with my swing, experimenting etc - he told me that was fine. Everyone is different and certain things will work for one golfer that won't for another - then he point-blank asked me "What's your goal with golf?"

We were on the phone and I must have gotten quiet. He continued on and explained.  He said finding a SPECIFIC thing about my game / swing that I wanted to improve and work on that to give me a goal / target. I joked about wanting to shoot in the 70's consistently.  His immediate answer "Then ditch the driver, find a fairway wood or hybrid or iron you can consistently hit in the fairway. If possible hit tee shots that give you approach shots using the clubs you are most comfortable with. Then spend the rest of your time practicing your pitching, chipping, putting and scoring consistently from 100 yards in."

That's an approach to PURELY focusing on lowering scores. So I adjusted my actual goals, and got way more specific, after that conversation.

YMMV

Driver: :callaway-small: XR Speed 9º Project X HZRDUS T800 Stiff

3W : :ping-small: G 14.5º - Tour 80 stiff

Hybrid: :ping-small: G25 20º - TFC-189H stiff

Irons: :ping-small: 4-UW G30 Green Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: LW G30 Black Dot

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossie II

Bottom line is you have to reach impact as fast as possible and to get there you will have find the path that fits you.

Let me correct this misstatement. You need the path that will let you reach impact with the club head accelerating as fast as possible on the right line and facing the right direction. No bonus points for just getting there fast.

I find that if I focus on the sequence of movement rather than the actual moves it works best for me.