Who Changed their swing and ruined their golf game

Gg Owen

Who on here completely revamped their golf swing and destroyed their golf game. Either from recommendations of a teaching pro. Or over tinkering on ones own.

That's me right now. I am working with a coach who changed my swing and I am still struggling after several months.

I want to believe it's just a matter of time before it will turn around. But it's difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

:tour-edge: HL E521 25° 5 hybrid w/Fubuki HD55 shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg Sti2 6 iron w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Who on here completely revamped their golf swing and destroyed their golf game. Either from recommendations of a teaching pro. Or over tinkering on ones own.

I went to a coach twice. I fully committed and did what he said. I tried that swing for two months and my handicap ballooned from 13 to 18. I then decided to get rid of the coach and work on my game myself. With myself as a coach I have had about 30 different swings. I usually revert to the original version and keep the best parts of the new version and combine them with the original swing. This has helped me steadily reduce my handicap. I am now at a 8.5 trending down. My ball striking has really improved to maybe a 4 handicap. I just need to improve my chipping and tee ball to get much better.
  • Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Forgot telling my story as the OP. We had a local men's player who consistently shot mid to low 80.His Goal was dropping from 80's > 70's scoring.So, he did the wisest thing and decided on going ‘all in' with a local teacher.This instructor believed in certain ‘required' positions for all his students success.After a season of one on one instruction he was left with a mess.He ended up losing the ability of advancing a driver more than 200 yards and crooked.His scores have ballooned and can barely break 90.Many told him go back with the natural swing.Refusing all logical advice, he sticks with it and continues taking lessons from that instructor.When does one reach the breaking point.!??Realizing the info he has been given isn't working for him

I previously posted this on the thread about best and worst advice. In HS I took a lesson for some reason from one of the "volunteer" coaches. The lesson had nothing to do with building upon or correcting things in my swing. It was all about changing my swing entirely to the Jimmy Ballard "connected" method. One lesson totally wrecked everything. It was easily 6 months before I could play again without lapsing back into that garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sorry you guys have experienced this

I've had three teachers in the last 15 years ( because of a move and a club membership) all have been great, all have taught similarly - none have tried to teach any sort of radical change - they've just kept me on track by tweaking what I already do well.

My current coach has a very successful LPGA player (2 majors) and more DI scholarship kids than I can count. He's very good.

None of those guys would look to “change” a player's swing.

I went to Ballard's school way back when - Jim McLean was the primary teacher at the time, it got me on the right track.

I suppose there are hack teacher's out there, most aren't. Look for one who has a class A certification and talk to him first, if you don't like what he says in your interview, find someone else.

Might you take a step back to improve? Of course. But if you have time to practice you should improve in a month, two at most, unless you are trying to become a touring pro. Then it's a year with lots of time in the gym.

• Like 2

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Because of perhaps my irrational fear of this happening, I never took a lesson.

I was always fearful that an instructor would want to tear my swing down. Irrational in that I know most are pretty upfront about their strategy/intentions.

Very sorry for all who had to deal with this.

• Like 1

From a teaching or coaches perspective let me share this story

We once had a patient who was in a pretty bad motorcycle accident. After multiple surgeries he began a long and painful physical therapy road to recovery. Everyday after an hour or two of physical therapy he would simply sit quietly in his dimly lit room adjusting to the pain. One day I walked in and noticed him staring at a photo of his family located on the other side of the room. I asked if he would like me to move it closer so that he could see. His response moved me! He said, “no don't move it because for me to get to that I have to go through this” “this is hard but in the end when I make it back home it will all be worth the pain”.

You just have to trust the process. You may have some really bad rounds in the beginning as your muscle memory and coordinated movements are reprogrammed. Still to get to better golf 🏌️‍♀️ sometimes you have to go through bad golf.

“To get to that you have to go through this”

Good, better, best.

Never ever rest.

Until your good is better

and your better is best.

• Like 2

I feel like Rev.... sorry for those who have experienced this.

Personally I've never gone to a pro/coach and asked for a makeover. I've always just needed tweaks here and there to keep me on track.

I strongly think that people seeking "lessons" should not go into it blind. What I mean is YOU tell the pro what you are hoping to accomplish. Don't let some some golf pro take the reins. I've seen far too many people do this and their game went to crap trying to absorb all the moves this guy pumped into their head. For me I ask for one or two simple things to focus on and then I go work on this for a while. I also TOLD my Pro initially that I didn't want a makeover. I only wanted to improve what I have. I wasn't hoping to be the next Adam Scott. 

Earlier this summer I was hitting some balls one evening and one of our Pros was giving a lady a lesson. I felt so sorry for her. This guy was instructing her on every move from the feet to the head and everything in between. She wasn't a rank beginner because I've seen her around.  But this stupid Pro was unloading the entire golf swing book on her at once. Guess he showed her how much he knew. Sad.

And come to think about it.... I haven't seen her in months. Hmmm?

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Nice illustration stedygolf.

I'd like to say that I don't understand being afraid of taking lessons. The reality is that if you take a group of 10 golfers, have them commit to taking a series of lessons and then work on what they are taught, their will be tangible improvement.

In fact that would be a great MGS test - take three groups of 5 golfers this winter. Have one group follow its regular routine, anyway group get fully fit for equipment and then follow its regular routine and the final group make the commitment to take lessons, follow the coach's advice (which may include equipment changes or a fitness program) practice and play.

I can't speak to the OP but generally I've observed that guys who are reluctant to take lessons have had a bad experience that they brought upon themselves by taking a lesson expecting a miracle and then rejecting what they learned after a bucket of balls or round that didn't turn out so well or they know someone who had that happen.

That was me in my early 20's. I learned by doing it my way and having a game that could produce a round in the 60's occasionally and in the 80's frequently - usually when I needed a round in the low 70's. I also screwed up my back.

In my early 30's the Ballard school gave me consistency - you could take 73-78 to the bank on me. I did have a lost season in there but I stuck with what I learned. Teacher number two, in my 40's, plus improved equipment, moved me to 70-75 or 4 to 1. No changes there, just tweaks.

Teacher number 3 helped me to maintain and number 4 has had the task of trying to help me back after age, work hours and family obligations have done a number on my game.

So good luck but my sincere encouragement to anyone here would be to stick with the lessons. The best golfers have coaches. It's just a fact.

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

A few years ago my wife surprised me with a package of lessons from Golftec, so I gave it a try. My swing WAS single plane, simple and advanced the ball in the proper direction. After being hooked up to sensors and being video taped, the instructor has me change this, change that, yada yada yada.

I was a mess for a full season until I took out my little brown Natural Golf book and relearned the basics. It took me a year to undo what Golftec had done, and a lot less time then that to realize that I'm not giving another charlatan a nickle to "help" my swing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I went through that one time. Now my old man was a pro and instructor but I did never go by his way of doing things period. One of his friends a fellow pro did change my grip from an interlock to an overlap when I was 14 and I have did that ever since

Now about 15 years ago now I got into the golf shop business and was playing the minis some. My partner got this guy who was an instructor that was connected to our shop to work with me some. Tried to slow my fast swing up and it threw me off too much. I got to where I could not play at all . I was terrible was just about to quit the game period. 

Now another friend of mine was one of the top instructors on the beach at the time. To give him credit he never tried to change me or tell me anything. He knew I was working with this other guy. He is the type that will not say anything bad about anyone. One day we were playing at this course and I shot like 45 on the front side and he could not hold back. He had seen enough. He asked me "How long have you been playing golf?" I told him at the time over 30 years. he said yeah and you were a pretty decent player until you got to screwing with XXXXX. Yeah I said. Well he told me go back to the way you know how to play golf. Forget that BS and play your game that you taught yourself your way. I did and shot 38 on the back side--- I went at it my way right or wrong and have never looked back-- One thing I do not do now is loop the club in the back swing to reroute it like I used to. That is because I do not pull it back far enough to loop it anymore. But I will stress that was a natural move for me because I have always been a strictly feel player. In all seriousness I do not recommend some of the stuff I do to anyone because it is all natural and unique to me and my swing and you can not teach some of the stuff I do. My friend did video me one time for his own learning edification as he put it. He never would let me see the tape because in his words he did not want me to get to thinking about my swing. We left it at that

Some people IMHO can benefit from lessons and some are wasting their money. Now I will give 3 solid pieces of advice and Rev and the other old timers on here have heard me say this before:

If going the instruction route get an instructor that you have confidence and you can work with.

Listen to the methods that instructor teaches you and do not listen watch or read other instruction

Practice on the range what your instructor teaches you--- Instruction ain't worth two hoots if you do not practice what you are taught. Too many people think if they are working with "Joe Pro" the instructor they are going to immediately shave a lot of strokes off their score. They will take the lessons and then make no effort to practice what they are taught. Then they try to blame the instructor

• Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex--- 9 Wood TM V-Steel Stock TM Stiff---- 1 Iron Ping Eye2 Stock Ping blue label medium---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bags either Jones Original non stand or Burton Mini Staff non advertising model

I feel like Rev.... sorry for those who have experienced this.

Personally I've never gone to a pro/coach and asked for a makeover. I've always just needed tweaks here and there to keep me on track.

I strongly think that people seeking "lessons" should not go into it blind. What I mean is YOU tell the pro what you are hoping to accomplish. Don't let some some golf pro take the reins. I've seen far too many people do this and their game went to crap trying to absorb all the moves this guy pumped into their head. For me I ask for one or two simple things to focus on and then I go work on this for a while. I also TOLD my Pro initially that I didn't want a makeover. I only wanted to improve what I have. I wasn't hoping to be the next Adam Scott. 

Earlier this summer I was hitting some balls one evening and one of our Pros was giving a lady a lesson. I felt so sorry for her. This guy was instructing her on every move from the feet to the head and everything in between. She wasn't a rank beginner because I've seen her around.  But this stupid Pro was unloading the entire golf swing book on her at once. Guess he showed her how much he knew. Sad.

And come to think about it.... I haven't seen her in months. Hmmm?

Funny thing is that you and I think exactly alike. I sometimes wonder if my old man hung out in Texas some back in the day if you get my drift  ^_^

• Like 1

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel Ust Pro Force 65 R flex--- 9 Wood TM V-Steel Stock TM Stiff---- 1 Iron Ping Eye2 Stock Ping blue label medium---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts-- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore---- Putter Rusty 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft- Bags either Jones Original non stand or Burton Mini Staff non advertising model

I never understood why a coach would change a swing. I get if your a new golfer I'm sure the swing is crap. But if your a good golfer it's your swing and you would think a couple swing tweaks would be the right play. Does that sound off Normally when going through a slump it's something minor you aren't doing correctly.

I believe that to be successful with an instructor you need to start as a high handicap. While you can have success as a low handicapper(like Rev did), starting as a low capper that has never seen a lesson you most likely have a swing that "works" but isn't technically perfect. Starting as low capper you will have things that work for you changed to something else that might not work as well.

But, starting as a high capper have a swing that is still changeable. Then starting with a pro that will change things that don't work into a better swing. You don't have habits that are set in stone as a high capper.

IMHO any pro can build a good swing, but not all pros can work well with someone who has a swing that "works". If you are a high capper; that is the time to start with a coach, then the coach can help you swing before you really engrain your bad habits. Any coach can turn a high capper with a bad swing into a mid-low capper with a good swing.

• Like 2

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Not purposely changed. But 4-5 months off and you forget what to do.

I've had both styles of instruction. The ones who changed everything. And ones who changed just a little. Learned a ton from both of them. But as Shankster stated, the long winter months completely change everything. No matter how much mirror work or indoor hitting into nets. Not being on the course for 5-6 months is no bueno
  • Like 2

Keep it in the short stuff

In college and just after passing the PAT I changed my grip. I was super left hand strong, David Duval Strong. I went more neutral so that my hands were nearly facing each other.

Everything was a push slice in the worst way. I took nearly twenty steps backwards in order to move forward.

After two years of suffering it was the best swing decision I ever made.

• TaylorMade SIM2 8* Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • TaylorMade MG2 TW 56 & 60 Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
  • TaylorMade TP5

Western, NY

5.7 Index

The first pro from whom I took lessons was an ancient hickory shaft veteran.

He got me to a basic golf swing which was good for me if not pretty.

I'm a naturally flat, inside out swinger. 

My stroke looks like a Nike Swoosh.

After contact, the club doesn't swing naturally back around me but flies straight up the target line.

That didn't do my back a lot of good, but I never hit a slice unless it was on purpose, and I never lost smash factor from a reverse C.   If I went right, it was a dead push that didn't come back.

A quick, snapshot lesson that I later took as an older player really helped.  Because of lost flexibility, I had acquired the habit of lifting my left heel for a bit more backswing.  That was killing me, consistency wise, until this latter pro noticed it and I went back to keeping it planted. The improvement was instant.

Other than that, I didn't take "swing" lessons. I occasionally took a lesson to learn a specific shot.

A former LPGA Tour player showed me the cut lob that I had tried to learn from a magazine.  She not only showed me why I was screwing it up, but also chastised me for using it unnecessarily when I should have been getting the ball down on the ground with a chip.  I always preferred lobbing close to the stick to chipping and needed to be reminded. Usually I didn't pay attention.

• Like 1

Forgot telling my story as the OP. We had a local men's player who consistently shot mid to low 80.His Goal was dropping from 80's > 70's scoring.So, he did the wisest thing and decided on going ‘all in' with a local teacher.This instructor believed in certain ‘required' positions for all his students success.After a season of one on one instruction he was left with a mess.He ended up losing the ability of advancing a driver more than 200 yards and crooked.His scores have ballooned and can barely break 90.Many told him go back with the natural swing.Refusing all logical advice, he sticks with it and continues taking lessons from that instructor.When does one reach the breaking point.!??Realizing the info he has been given isn't working for him

This example right here is why I've never had a lesson, and have basically self taught myself for the past 40 years or so, with limited advice and implementation of swing ideas. I'm scared as hell that I'll lose the ability to hit the ball well, and will end up wanting to quit the game because I hit it so bad. I mean, what is this guy's long term goal, PGA Tour? Ultimately that's what you would have to decide PRIOR to embarking on this mission. You decide a time frame for the lessons and the teacher before you give it up and go back to what you knew when. For me that would have been about after a month of playing like total crap.

But this sort of thing just isn't an amateur thing. I've seen Martin Kaymer and Padraig Harrington try and remake their swings and their game to try and win the Masters, which meant they had to change their shot shape, both with absolutely horrible results. Kaymer has recovered fairly well, but Harrington absolutely fell off the planet trying to remake his golf swing into something he never had. I mean, the dude has 3 majors and it wasn't good enough? Shoot, keep what you have going, and keep winning Open Championships. So you never win the Masters. There are about 10,000 pros in the history of golf that are in that category. There are worse lots in life.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS