Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is your local track in good shape?

Sluggo42

I have a course that's about 10 minutes away that was fantastic 20 years ago, but poor ownership ran it into the ground by constantly cheating out at every chance.

So it got some new ownership about 6 months ago and the track has turned a 180 and is making a serious comeback.

The fairways aren't great yet, but they are working hard at it. But the greens have become absolutely fantastic.

And they lowered the price to $40 per round, and that includes a free lunch sandwich or burger! So now I've started going back there to play more and more...

So how is your local track?

Good shape? Or going downhill?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

We are having quite the conversation right now here in Tallahassee about this very issue. A year ago FSU hired Jack Nicklaus to redesign the Seminole course, because apparently Brooks Koepka and his pals playing for FSU got bored hitting a 525 yard par 4 in two (par 5 for me and you). So Jack is going to spend the next year blowing this course up to make it challenging enough to host college tournaments.

So, with Seminole closing in another week for 13 months, the other two public courses in town will have to fill the void. Southwood, where FSU had been playing their tournaments, was just sold to a group of local investors who have plans to turn it around and make the greens fees more affordable. No one was playing it because they wanted $69 to play there. Well, everyone was playing Seminole, because you could get on there for less than $30 almost anytime. With Southwood lowering their greens fees I would imagine that most guys who were playing Seminole will just go there.

Outside of that drama we have the city owned Hilaman golf course, which is my home course. $60 a month for all the golf you can walk. They redid the bunkers to add drainage over the winter, and the greens are in great shape after a rough couple of months after they killled the rye overseed. We were having conversations about the greens this morning during our round, because the running joke with Hilaman is that they get the course in it's best shape for the Tallahassee Open, which is in a couple of weeks, and then right afte the Open they punch the greens and then we spend the next 11 months with greens and conditions that are just ho hum. We simply wonder why they can't keep the course in the optimum conditions they get for the Tallahassee Open every year, as it's sort of a running joke how the annual course maintenance cycle is with Hilaman. We'll see how it goes come September.

The only other public 18-hole course in town is north where I live, Summerbrooke, but I don't really talk about it much because here you have this tough and great layout for a golf course in a upscale community, and the conditions of the golf course are better described as goat ranch/cow pasture. I have heard that new ownership there has been doing some real work to try and make this course a serious option for local golfers, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My local course is in okay shape. I have played better courses and I have played worse courses. They fairways and greens are decent. Their biggest problem is poor drainage which leads a bumper crop of mosquitos and gnats. To play a round I have to coat myself in vanilla and then deet to not get eaten. It is on a really pretty tract of land with prairie grass and woods.

Though for a junior it is only $15 walking so the rate is pretty good.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My home course is in pretty good shape. A few years a go, it was getting pretty shabby. The owner hired a new Super and he did a fantastic job whipping it back into shape. Unfortunately, he is taking a job with the Cleveland Metro Parks very soon. We'll see what happens.

The closest course to me got bulldozed and will be the site of a Meijer and Menards.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

My local spot is on it's way up, slowly but surely. It was an old course that was abandoned for a while and a new management group came in. They have been working on freshening it up for the last 3 years. Not the cheapest in the area but also not the most expensive. I don't mind spending a bit more (within reason) to help support something local with improvements.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

Interesting topic today....

Next weekend is our Club Championship and just yesterday they declared "No Carts in Fairways Until further Notice!"  Before I got to the course today I was thinking to myself - what's happened? Have we lost our irrigation system or something? Nope none of that. In fact as we walked w/push carts today everyone discussed how good the fairways look. And they do. In spite of a mild drought this summer. Our Superintendent is doing a great job we all say. So what's the deal?

I have to say I'm now iffy on playing the Championship and considering withdrawing. I haven't been walking 18 in quite a long time and my body knows it. Today I shoot even through 11 holes and then start getting a little tired. I finally limped in carding a 77. I should have easily shot even or perhaps 1 or 2 over.  Due to me not being in good enough shape walking; my game suffered big time. Of course you can ride a cart but it's cart path only. I've never like that either. Unless your ball happens to occasionally be close to the path you have to guess and take a few clubs over to the other side where your ball lies. That's BS! And one week before our Club Championship!!! 

Perhaps I should have taken my post over to the Rant thread?  :unsure:  :angry:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

We have two courses in the city , they are about 5 kilometres (3 miles) apart. The newer of the two is in absolutely amazing condition. It's always has a great reputation. The older one is 50 this year and is in desperate need of massive renovation to the clubhouse and irrigation system. It's the “mucky muck” rich person course , it's got a negative reputation for not being welcoming if you are not a member, I had a member tell me they are glad people don't feel welcome , no competition for tee times. This course has been historically in bad shape, winter kill on the fairways and still one green on temps and not sure if it will come back this year. Both courses are fairly open and they do a good job clearing the brush so not easy to lose a ball.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Greens are the best they've been in the 17 years I've lived here. Everything else is just ok. When I play on public tracks when I'm away on business, I'm most often jealous of what those folks get to play-on vs what I have. It's kind of disappointing. I did play a course North of Houston last week that made me feel good about my local public course! That's rare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The older one is 50 this year and is in desperate need of massive renovation to the clubhouse and irrigation system. It's the “mucky muck” rich person course , it's got a negative reputation for not being welcoming if you are not a member, I had a member tell me they are glad people don't feel welcome , no competition for tee times.

Why doesn't this sort os selfish attitude surprise me? Ironically this “member” doesn't see the forest for the trees. Him and all of his selfish stuck up friends will be dead in the next 10 years and his course will be developed into homes because they never gave back to the next generation and developed a good junior golf program to make sure the next generation carried on the game long after this one is gone.

I would have never played the game if they didn't have a good summer junior program in Miami called DAGA when I was growing up. Charlie DeLucca ran Melreese and invited any kids from anywhere in the area to come play his course any day during the week for free. Me and my brother played there all summer growing up and we learned the game through this program and it cost us nothing.

How does it work now? I'm 50 and paying for golf 2-3 times a week along with all the equipment, etc. But if I was never given the opportunity as a kid I would have never taken up the game and never be playing today. But I guess there are a ton of older golfers like the example above who only thinks of himself and couldn't care less about anyone else.

Sorry for the rant/thread jack.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My local course is in awesome shape. It was nothing more than a celebrated cow pasture when I first joined 19 years ago, but over the years it has been renovated, and a lot of cash into it the last few years.

All the greens were redone and were awesome until the crazy spring killed them this year. They are mostly recovered now, but not up to where they have been for the past few years or will be again in a few more weeks.

Yesterday, two new tee boxes opened up adding some serious yardage, 40 yards on a par 3 and 100 yards on a par 5. As a matter of fact, this course has grown at least 550 yards in the last few years. They started building these tee boxes a couple of years ago and then quit. Then suddenly this spring, the crews started moving dirt and most of us were taken by surprise. I asked why they suddenly shortened two holes temporarily and started construction again and was told, "We are trying to distract attention from the dead greens by moving dirt around." :lol: It worked. Suddenly everyone quit talking about how poor the greens were started talking about the new length of the holes.

There are still plans to reroute one fairway on a par 5 that will add another 40-50 yards. They planted some trees a few years ago, and they are just about large enough to have the desired effect. The plan is for them to keep you from taking a short cut through the adjacent fairway. Once this happens, the current fairway will be allowed to grow to waste high rough, and the new fairway will go down the hill towards the lake, go around the hill, and then cut back across a creek to the green on another hill. The teeboxes and greens were designed this way, but currently the fairway cuts across the top of a hill and down the other side across a creek and up to the green. Next year they will probably move the fairway.

There is also a new club house, pool, gym, cart sheds, maintenance area, new cartpaths, putting chipping greens. And of course, new higher fees, but it is worth it.

This is now a seriously good course and one of the best in NE Texas.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

You can find just about any course condition imaginable in my county and pay about any price that you would like for golf.

It's certainly still a buyers market. My club is undergoing major work this summer - remember this is not our season - with 6 fairways torn up, being done with a different grass. I think the goal is to ultimately redo all of the fairways with the new grass but they just did the worst holes first. The greens and green complexes are beautiful as our the traps and the holes not under repair. I'm struggling to see how the holes will be ready much before October.

As a member of a private club that is somewhat exclusive I guess I have a different view point from what's been expressed here. Club members pay for better conditions and a less crowded course. I know that lots of clubs have seen a decline in membership and do offer special discounts or member for a day rates. It's difficult for long time club members who are still paying full freight to adjust to those changes. I know that won't get sympathy here but why shouldn't club members get what they are paying for? (Remember I'm a clergy member so I neither pay full freight - 6k plus a buy in nor do I have full privileges)

For the record my club has a great junior program, many private clubs do.

The local muni in St Pete redid its greens last summer and is in beautiful shape. It gets tons of play, it amazes me how they keep it in such good condition. I have a card that allows me to play it for $23 - I think it's rack rate is around 28 summer and 45 winter.

The other courses that I play frequently are both private but accessible through the card that i got from my golf league - they aren't as exclusive as Bayou. Still they are in great shape, pace of play is in the 330 to 4 hour range. I'm playing one tomorrow afternoon - it's 39 with my card.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The scruffiest of the many courses in my immediate area is in infinitely better condition that I am.

Right now, they're all just restaurants to me.

If that's the only reason to go there, then I take it.

I could stand a little impediment to my eating but no, I'm full speed ahead with that.

And Rev, I have to be honest, 3½ hours for a full round is not a pace with which I'm even remotely familiar.

That would feel rushed to me. Without having experienced it except on a short executive course, I'm not sure that I'd even enjoy that.

What's it like?

IMG_0199.JPG

This is the new Par 3 tee box it was playing 91 yards last week 160 a year ago and 214 today. Well, the flag was up front today and 195 but I was told it was 214 yesterday.

The green looks tiny in real life also. Two tiers so it plays like half the size.

Our course shutdown for 2 months because of some really really bad winter burn on about 7 greens and bad spots on many others. Played it for the first time today, and the greens looked and played really good considering what theybcsme from, there were only a couple greens that had any noticeable spots still. The rest were good, the fairways were really nice, and the rough was worsehan your typical US Open rough.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

That's not a fair target from 214.

They could have made this hole even harder. The dirt you see on the right is where the lake used to cut into the right half in front of the green. There was talk of digging it out completely across the front. That caused a bit of backlash. We already have two island greens and 2 greens with water on 2 sides and 3 200 yard over water forced carries.

Mercifully they filled in part of the lake in the right and turned a grass bunker that had 8” deep grass on the right into a chipping area. It is now the same grass height as the fringe.

IMG_0200.JPG

This is the tee box on the next hole that's a par 5. Those carts are about 275 from the back tees. It's a true 3 shot par 5 with a double dogleg.

My local track that I play is in very good shape. Has had the same owners for 19 years now since its creation and it's come along a enormous amount. Everyone couldn't stand the course when it opened, it was tight and not very fair and it got a really bad rep from then. Fast forward this year and we have record numbers going through and just this season in addition to the course playing really well in our incredibly not normal hot weather the super has added all sorts of new touches including new gold tee boxes on 10, 11 and 13. Leveled out nearly all the poor ladies tees. Remade the front edge and bunker on 12 (a little 90 yard par 3 that is either the simplest part or the easiest 5 you've ever played)

Finally put down fresh crusherdust on nearly all the pathways which has been enormous for getting around.

Prices are still very low and it's hard to find a better deal around.

I could go on but basically I am very happy and proud to golf there as it offers a great challenge and great improvements year after year!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

The scruffiest of the many courses in my immediate area is in infinitely better condition that I am.

Right now, they're all just restaurants to me.

If that's the only reason to go there, then I take it.

I could stand a little impediment to my eating but no, I'm full speed ahead with that.

And Rev, I have to be honest, 3½ hours for a full round is not a pace with which I'm even remotely familiar.

That would feel rushed to me. Without having experienced it except on a short executive course, I'm not sure that I'd even enjoy that.

What's it like?

Remember I grew up playing on a muni in New England. Golfers belonged to country clubs with 10k plus buy ins and 10k plus membership fees while the rest of us had a three hour wait in the parking lot to play a five hour round with 3 groups on the tee being the normal back up on 8 and 16.

I'm just making up for lost time now. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Remember I grew up playing on a muni in New England. Golfers belonged to country clubs with 10k plus buy ins and 10k plus membership fees while the rest of us had a three hour wait in the parking lot to play a five hour round with 3 groups on the tee being the normal back up on 8 and 16.

I'm just making up for lost time now. :)

Was it Southern New England?  Connecticut?  It couldn't be too close to me.

We have an incredible number of green fee courses in my area--a real generous variety--and no shortage of nice clubs as well. But virtually NONE of the public courses are Muni courses. The only one that comes immediately to mind is Donald Ross's George Wright Public Golf Links within  the city of Boston proper.

Truth be told, a significant number of our public courses are laundromats for indeterminate income sources.  They just need to look crowded without actually making much money, and if they don't work out as courses, the real estate alone is worth tons to housing developers. Let's just call it a regional perq for local golf enthusiasts that people of my background might know about..

Even many of the private clubs, like my little club, are NOT membership equity clubs.  Somebody owns them. No huge buy-ins, and no assessments, although the annual dues are significant. My place has a senior discount that limits golf to weekdays but offers full access to everything else. 

And I was serious--I can see where you might think that I was joking-- about the 3.5 hour rounds. Unless one is, say, a three or better, Is that even fun?   I guess that you, being virtually scratch,  can't answer that either, come to think of it.  I make no effort to disguise my envy, Rev.

There's one course just outta town on a reserve that was a beautiful course. Once everything was up and running with good conditions they let go of all the non-status employees and the place went downhill quick. So you think logically they would hire people who know what they're doing and either learn from them or send someone to school to get the proper education. Nope. Hired some others until course was back to good condition and let them go. Now it's a grassy field in what will soon be an industrial development as they have an industrial park that is growing that way. A darn shame as my parents played it a few times and say it was a pretty good price.

The course I've had a membership at usually has really good conditions year after year. Glad I didn't join this year because they (and everyone else around) had some brutal winter kill most are still trying to recover from.

Talking to a few other golf addicts some courses have even refunded 20-25% of their membership fee. And with a few others, they wish they had seen their course before buying and will be looking elsewhere next season.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The one I played today is immaculate. But it's difficult. Lots of undulations in the fairway. The greens are fantastic though. Just got buckets of rain this week and it was still very well drained. It's about 15 minutes from my house. The other one is an easier track but it's in horrid shape. I'd rather play the harder, nicer course. MVIMG_20180805_111004.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

And I was serious--I can see where you might think that I was joking-- about the 3.5 hour rounds. Unless one is, say, a three or better, Is that even fun? I guess that you, being virtually scratch, can't answer that either, come to think of it. I make no effort to disguise my envy, Rev.

Yes, I play fast, if I ride I can play in 2 hours or walking in 3 hours. I am certainly not scratch and sometimes play 2 balls. If I play a round over 4 hours I don't play as well because get cold waiting between shots. That being said I normally play as a single, if I was with friends, I wouldn't care how long it takes because I'd just be out having a good time.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Greens are the best they've been in the 17 years I've lived here. Everything else is just ok. When I play on public tracks when I'm away on business, I'm most often jealous of what those folks get to play-on vs what I have. It's kind of disappointing. I did play a course North of Houston last week that made me feel good about my local public course! That's rare!

What course did you play in the Houston area? Quite a few spies in the area if you ever return and want a fun outing.

A lot of the Houston courses are doing their summer turf maintenance. Deep cuts in fairways, massive work on the greens to ensure proper grass growth during these hot months of growing season.

One thing that has really been fun and a great understanding of course turf management is a lot of your local supers are probably on Instagram or Twitter. I follow about a dozen supers in the Houston area, including tiger's design up at bluejack. It wasn't until this year that I truly gained a good understanding as to when and why courses will treat various areas of the course. I just thought they were mean... Turns out there's a crucial reason for it all! Now's not a good time to play because most courses are in the middle of serious work... That and it's really freaking hot. Look up your local super, you'll be impressed by the info they'll share about your course.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

What course did you play in the Houston area? Quite a few spies in the area if you ever return and want a fun outing.

A lot of the Houston courses are doing their summer turf maintenance. Deep cuts in fairways, massive work on the greens to ensure proper grass growth during these hot months of growing season.

One thing that has really been fun and a great understanding of course turf management is a lot of your local supers are probably on Instagram or Twitter. I follow about a dozen supers in the Houston area, including tiger's design up at bluejack. It wasn't until this year that I truly gained a good understanding as to when and why courses will treat various areas of the course. I just thought they were mean... Turns out there's a crucial reason for it all! Now's not a good time to play because most courses are in the middle of serious work... That and it's really freaking hot. Look up your local super, you'll be impressed by the info they'll share about your course.

I'm there once a month. Would love to get together with Spies, but I can't tee-off during the week until about 4pm.

I played Cypresswood (?) up near Spring. Played the lesser of the 2 tracks since they had punched the nicer one. Was OK.

Then TangleWood (?) down in Friendswood. Was in good shape. 3 nines there.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'm there once a month. Would love to get together with Spies, but I can't tee-off during the week until about 4pm.

I played Cypresswood (?) up near Spring. Played the lesser of the 2 tracks since they had punched the nicer one. Was OK.

Then TangleWood (?) down in Friendswood. Was in good shape. 3 nines there.

Yea the cypresswood tradition course is a great track and I had no idea they punched the greens until I got to the first green on Wednesday. Oh well. Tees and fairways have come back great from Harvey but the greens haven't quite fully returned to glory. Prior to Harvey, the Shell had their qualifier on the traditions course. Those greens were running a 12-13 for the Monday qualifier with pins in ungodly positions. The Cypress course is ok. Just have low expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Timber Creek in friendswood is always in great shape when I play. Sometimes it's soaking wet but in great condition.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

The one I played today is immaculate. But it's difficult. Lots of undulations in the fairway. The greens are fantastic though. Just got buckets of rain this week and it was still very well drained. It's about 15 minutes from my house. The other one is an easier track but it's in horrid shape. I'd rather play the harder, nicer course. attachicon.gif MVIMG_20180805_111004.jpeg

My course is a muni, and is usually in pretty good shape.  It also has lots of undulating fairways and grassy mounds both left and right on most holes.  Easy to get a bad lie.

I live in a desert area with only 7 inches of rain per year on average.  The last rain we had was in early June...  0.1 inch.  My course is watered every night, but the tops of mounds and elevated tee boxes are getting very brown.  They've lost the grass on a couple of the Forward tees.  The greens are pretty good, but soft in the morning for irrigation and hard in the afternoon.  Challenging, to say the least.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My course is a muni, and is usually in pretty good shape. It also has lots of undulating fairways and grassy mounds both left and right on most holes. Easy to get a bad lie.

I live in a desert area with only 7 inches of rain per year on average. The last rain we had was in early June... 0.1 inch. My course is watered every night, but the tops of mounds and elevated tee boxes are getting very brown. They've lost the grass on a couple of the Forward tees. The greens are pretty good, but soft in the morning for irrigation and hard in the afternoon. Challenging, to say the least.

The mounds are so tough for me as a highcapper but I figure if I learn on something thats difficult it will only make me better. It's also the toughest shot ever to practice. I have no idea how to get better at it.

I had one shot that was chest high, no joke. What do you even do with that? I'm 6'3 btw. Lol

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Except for the times after an outing* our course is in great shape. The fairways and greens are constantly watered especially this past July when we only received about .3 inches of rain.

* outings = lots of unrepaired divots and ball marks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD