Is your local track in good shape?

Our Sponsors

Remember I grew up playing on a muni in New England. Golfers belonged to country clubs with 10k plus buy ins and 10k plus membership fees while the rest of us had a three hour wait in the parking lot to play a five hour round with 3 groups on the tee being the normal back up on 8 and 16.

I'm just making up for lost time now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Was it Southern New England?  Connecticut?  It couldn't be too close to me.

We have an incredible number of green fee courses in my area--a real generous variety--and no shortage of nice clubs as well. But virtually NONE of the public courses are Muni courses. The only one that comes immediately to mind is Donald Ross's George Wright Public Golf Links within  the city of Boston proper.

Truth be told, a significant number of our public courses are laundromats for indeterminate income sources.  They just need to look crowded without actually making much money, and if they don't work out as courses, the real estate alone is worth tons to housing developers. Let's just call it a regional perq for local golf enthusiasts that people of my background might know about..

Even many of the private clubs, like my little club, are NOT membership equity clubs.  Somebody owns them. No huge buy-ins, and no assessments, although the annual dues are significant. My place has a senior discount that limits golf to weekdays but offers full access to everything else. 

And I was serious--I can see where you might think that I was joking-- about the 3.5 hour rounds. Unless one is, say, a three or better, Is that even fun?   I guess that you, being virtually scratch,  can't answer that either, come to think of it.  I make no effort to disguise my envy, Rev.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The one I played today is immaculate. But it's difficult. Lots of undulations in the fairway. The greens are fantastic though. Just got buckets of rain this week and it was still very well drained. It

Interesting topic today.... Next weekend is our Club Championship and just yesterday they declared "No Carts in Fairways Until further Notice!"  Before I got to the course today I was thinking to mys

My local course is in okay shape. I have played better courses and I have played worse courses. They fairways and greens are decent. Their biggest problem is poor drainage which leads a bumper crop of

Posted Images

There's one course just outta town on a reserve that was a beautiful course. Once everything was up and running with good conditions they let go of all the non-status employees and the place went downhill quick. So you think logically they would hire people who know what they're doing and either learn from them or send someone to school to get the proper education. Nope. Hired some others until course was back to good condition and let them go. Now it's a grassy field in what will soon be an industrial development as they have an industrial park that is growing that way. A darn shame as my parents played it a few times and say it was a pretty good price.

The course I've had a membership at usually has really good conditions year after year. Glad I didn't join this year because they (and everyone else around) had some brutal winter kill most are still trying to recover from.

Talking to a few other golf addicts some courses have even refunded 20-25% of their membership fee. And with a few others, they wish they had seen their course before buying and will be looking elsewhere next season.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The one I played today is immaculate. But it's difficult. Lots of undulations in the fairway. The greens are fantastic though. Just got buckets of rain this week and it was still very well drained. It's about 15 minutes from my house. The other one is an easier track but it's in horrid shape. I'd rather play the harder, nicer course. MVIMG_20180805_111004.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 6

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

And I was serious--I can see where you might think that I was joking-- about the 3.5 hour rounds. Unless one is, say, a three or better, Is that even fun? I guess that you, being virtually scratch, can't answer that either, come to think of it. I make no effort to disguise my envy, Rev.

Yes, I play fast, if I ride I can play in 2 hours or walking in 3 hours. I am certainly not scratch and sometimes play 2 balls. If I play a round over 4 hours I don't play as well because get cold waiting between shots. That being said I normally play as a single, if I was with friends, I wouldn't care how long it takes because I'd just be out having a good time.

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Greens are the best they've been in the 17 years I've lived here. Everything else is just ok. When I play on public tracks when I'm away on business, I'm most often jealous of what those folks get to play-on vs what I have. It's kind of disappointing. I did play a course North of Houston last week that made me feel good about my local public course! That's rare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What course did you play in the Houston area? Quite a few spies in the area if you ever return and want a fun outing.

A lot of the Houston courses are doing their summer turf maintenance. Deep cuts in fairways, massive work on the greens to ensure proper grass growth during these hot months of growing season.

One thing that has really been fun and a great understanding of course turf management is a lot of your local supers are probably on Instagram or Twitter. I follow about a dozen supers in the Houston area, including tiger's design up at bluejack. It wasn't until this year that I truly gained a good understanding as to when and why courses will treat various areas of the course. I just thought they were mean... Turns out there's a crucial reason for it all! Now's not a good time to play because most courses are in the middle of serious work... That and it's really freaking hot. Look up your local super, you'll be impressed by the info they'll share about your course.

• Like 3
  • :taylormade-small: SIM 10.5* w/ Kyoshi Black 65X tipped 1/2" 
  • :cobra-small: F7+ 3W 14.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 75 6.5
  • :adams-small: Pro DHy 18* w/ Hzrdus Black 85 6.5
  • :callaway-small: X Forged 21* w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :mizuno-small: 921 SEL 5-PW w/ Dynamic Gold X100
  • :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54* & 58* w/ AWT 2.0 
  • :ping-small: Vault Arna w/ KBS CT Tour
  • '20 :bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • I'm left-handed so I don't go broke buying all new clubs every week. 

What course did you play in the Houston area? Quite a few spies in the area if you ever return and want a fun outing.

A lot of the Houston courses are doing their summer turf maintenance. Deep cuts in fairways, massive work on the greens to ensure proper grass growth during these hot months of growing season.

One thing that has really been fun and a great understanding of course turf management is a lot of your local supers are probably on Instagram or Twitter. I follow about a dozen supers in the Houston area, including tiger's design up at bluejack. It wasn't until this year that I truly gained a good understanding as to when and why courses will treat various areas of the course. I just thought they were mean... Turns out there's a crucial reason for it all! Now's not a good time to play because most courses are in the middle of serious work... That and it's really freaking hot. Look up your local super, you'll be impressed by the info they'll share about your course.

I'm there once a month. Would love to get together with Spies, but I can't tee-off during the week until about 4pm.

I played Cypresswood (?) up near Spring. Played the lesser of the 2 tracks since they had punched the nicer one. Was OK.

Then TangleWood (?) down in Friendswood. Was in good shape. 3 nines there.

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I'm there once a month. Would love to get together with Spies, but I can't tee-off during the week until about 4pm.

I played Cypresswood (?) up near Spring. Played the lesser of the 2 tracks since they had punched the nicer one. Was OK.

Then TangleWood (?) down in Friendswood. Was in good shape. 3 nines there.

Yea the cypresswood tradition course is a great track and I had no idea they punched the greens until I got to the first green on Wednesday. Oh well. Tees and fairways have come back great from Harvey but the greens haven't quite fully returned to glory. Prior to Harvey, the Shell had their qualifier on the traditions course. Those greens were running a 12-13 for the Monday qualifier with pins in ungodly positions. The Cypress course is ok. Just have low expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Timber Creek in friendswood is always in great shape when I play. Sometimes it's soaking wet but in great condition.

The one I played today is immaculate. But it's difficult. Lots of undulations in the fairway. The greens are fantastic though. Just got buckets of rain this week and it was still very well drained. It's about 15 minutes from my house. The other one is an easier track but it's in horrid shape. I'd rather play the harder, nicer course. attachicon.gif MVIMG_20180805_111004.jpeg

My course is a muni, and is usually in pretty good shape.  It also has lots of undulating fairways and grassy mounds both left and right on most holes.  Easy to get a bad lie.

I live in a desert area with only 7 inches of rain per year on average.  The last rain we had was in early June...  0.1 inch.  My course is watered every night, but the tops of mounds and elevated tee boxes are getting very brown.  They've lost the grass on a couple of the Forward tees.  The greens are pretty good, but soft in the morning for irrigation and hard in the afternoon.  Challenging, to say the least.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My course is a muni, and is usually in pretty good shape. It also has lots of undulating fairways and grassy mounds both left and right on most holes. Easy to get a bad lie.

I live in a desert area with only 7 inches of rain per year on average. The last rain we had was in early June... 0.1 inch. My course is watered every night, but the tops of mounds and elevated tee boxes are getting very brown. They've lost the grass on a couple of the Forward tees. The greens are pretty good, but soft in the morning for irrigation and hard in the afternoon. Challenging, to say the least.

The mounds are so tough for me as a highcapper but I figure if I learn on something thats difficult it will only make me better. It's also the toughest shot ever to practice. I have no idea how to get better at it.

I had one shot that was chest high, no joke. What do you even do with that? I'm 6'3 btw. Lol

• Like 1

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Except for the times after an outing* our course is in great shape. The fairways and greens are constantly watered especially this past July when we only received about .3 inches of rain.

* outings = lots of unrepaired divots and ball marks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The mounds are so tough for me as a highcapper but I figure if I learn on something thats difficult it will only make me better. It's also the toughest shot ever to practice. I have no idea how to get better at it.

I had one shot that was chest high, no joke. What do you even do with that? I'm 6'3 btw. Lol

They are tough for me too!!  The only way to really practice is to head out on the course when it's empty; find a hole with the shots you want to practice; and hit a bunch of balls.  It's something you can't do on the range.  I had one of those shots today; ball about waist high, and I was about 160 out.  Since the ball is supposed to go left, I aimed slightly right of the green because there is a big bunker left of the green.  Ball went dead straight, and I was pin high right of the green.  But I know that if I aimed straight at the green, I would have been in that bunker!!

Here's an overhead of my course and you can see the many mounds.  Don't look too big in the picture, but some are 10-12 feet high.

CP Overhead.jpg

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Pretty sweet track Kenny

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

The greens at my home course have been the worst this year than they've been in a long time. There were several courses around here that had issues with their greens this year, but most of them have now recovered.  They are getting a little bit better than what they used to be, but they still have some work to do.  The rest of the course doesn't look too bad for what they have to work with. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Except for the times after an outing* our course is in great shape. The fairways and greens are constantly watered especially this past July when we only received about .3 inches of rain.

* outings = lots of unrepaired divots and ball marks

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

A super in the Central Texas area just said something on twitter about the drought and how he prefers a hose over a squeegee. He'd rather pay for water and control how much hits the course versus being at the mercy of the clouds. He showed pics of his course and the fairways look like carpet and the greens are smooth. Amazing how good it looked seeing that they hadn't had any measurable rain since May 27th. 

• Like 1

My home club is in decent shape, considering the weather.  In May we had 9 inches of rain, compared to an average of about 4.  June was about normal, but with several weeks of hot weather and no rain at all.  In July we are at 11 inches of rain, nearly triple the average, and last week saw lots of really heavy rain. The wet/dry/really wet conditions have stressed the turf, and we're seeing a significant number of bare patches, where the grass simply gave up.  We've been "cart path only" for a while, and this weekend we still had standing water in many of the more level areas.  Springs are popping up on hillsides where we've never seen them before. The weeds, however, are thriving.   Our greens are still in pretty good shape, just not as firm and fast as most of us would prefer.  Overall, I think our superintendent and his crew have done a pretty good job in a really difficult summer.

• Like 3

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

The one I played today is immaculate. But it's difficult. Lots of undulations in the fairway. The greens are fantastic though. Just got buckets of rain this week and it was still very well drained. It's about 15 minutes from my house. The other one is an easier track but it's in horrid shape. I'd rather play the harder, nicer course. attachicon.gif MVIMG_20180805_111004.jpeg

from the way that picture looks in the forum, it looks like the flagstick is IN the lake.  LOL, DANG, that's one hell of an optical illusion.  I wouldn't even have any idea of where to aim at that hole.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

My home club is in decent shape, considering the weather.  In May we had 9 inches of rain, compared to an average of about 4.  June was about normal, but with several weeks of hot weather and no rain at all.  In July we are at 11 inches of rain, nearly triple the average, and last week saw lots of really heavy rain. The wet/dry/really wet conditions have stressed the turf, and we're seeing a significant number of bare patches, where the grass simply gave up.  We've been "cart path only" for a while, and this weekend we still had standing water in many of the more level areas.  Springs are popping up on hillsides where we've never seen them before. The weeds, however, are thriving.   Our greens are still in pretty good shape, just not as firm and fast as most of us would prefer.  Overall, I think our superintendent and his crew have done a pretty good job in a really difficult summer.

:o   We've had 4.08 inches year-to-date.  

Yes, I play fast, if I ride I can play in 2 hours or walking in 3 hours. I am certainly not scratch and sometimes play 2 balls. If I play a round over 4 hours I don't play as well because get cold waiting between shots. That being said I normally play as a single, if I was with friends, I wouldn't care how long it takes because I'd just be out having a good time.

Too bad you are in Minnesota.  We play the EXACT same style of golf.  Hit it and go, and have a few drinks with friends if they are along for the ride.

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

wish you'd send the rain our way 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

from the way that picture looks in the forum, it looks like the flagstick is IN the lake.  LOL, DANG, that's one hell of an optical illusion.  I wouldn't even have any idea of where to aim at that hole.

It does look that way, ha,  must be the picture. Pin placement was left center of the green. Unfortunately my fear of missing left and long had me on the front edge of the green, just before that crazy looking upslope. not a fun 3 putt on the 16th hole. 

RH:

#cobraconnect19