TESTERS WANTED! ×

Members Opinion

dcorun

I am tired of reading reviews on other sites about clubs. I'm looking to get a new set of irons. I'm a 14 handicap and would like some honest answers  about some irons to test. I will get fitted once I make my decision. 

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

I am tired of reading reviews on other sites about clubs. I would like to hear from fellow members of MGS about the TM M4 irons. Who is playing them and who has but, isn't anymore and why? Thank you for your responses in advance.

I have hit them and they are ultra distance irons with no spin. They are very very forgiving. M4s are your typical ultra game improvement iron. I normally hit a 7-160 with 6000 rpm backspin. With the M4 I hit it 185 with 3000 rpm backspin. They weren't ideal for me but if you are struggling with distance they could work. I would recommend the M4s to a 18+ handicap.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I am tired of reading reviews on other sites about clubs. I'm looking to get a new set of irons. I'm a 14 handicap and would like some honest answers  about some irons to test. I will get fitted once I make my decision. 

I think you've come to the right place for honest answers. You'll find recent reviews on a number of different irons here. 

My question based on your post is: you going to get fitted after you decide on the brand? I would think you'd want to go to the fitter first and trey several brands. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think you've come to the right place for honest answers. You'll find recent reviews on a number of different irons here. 

My question based on your post is: you going to get fitted after you decide on the brand? I would think you'd want to go to the fitter first and trey several brands. 

I agree with Tony. Be open minded about your choice of clubs. I'm not against reading other golf sites to help form an opinion. MGS is good but it's only a small part of the golf scene. I'm sure there are several club fitters around your area. My suggestion would be to visit in person or a least call and talk to a few of them. I'd assume there isn't an real rush to go out and get fit for your new clubs. Take some time and do your homework. Keep in mind the BIG Box sellers typically aren't your best choice for proper fitting. See if you can find an independant fitter with many years of experience. Also keep in mind that there are many club choices besides the brands you see in golf magazines or on TV. Give them serious consideration.

Best of luck

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Here's a video by Tom Wishon I think will be enlightening to you.

Wishon Golf - The Facts of Life About the Golf Equipment Industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZJUO4ZQ_s

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I strongly believe that fitting should take place at a golf course. On the range is where you get to see the complete result of your hits as opposed to using a net and a launch monitor in a room. I like the visual results and feel as oppossed to looking at a screen. Others here have great suggestions as well. Be open minded. Get what you like,what feels good to you,what visually appeals to you. What sounds good to you. I've played with guys that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn,but had the clubs that the pros used. And I've played with guys who were so good and played with old clubs that they still enjoyed using. And that is the end goal you want. To enjoy using them year after year.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I guess you edited your post since it originally asked about TM M4 irons.   Having tested a lot of irons as part of the most wanted testing,  they are pretty much all solid.   Ideally you would give us some additional information beyond the 14 handicap.  As a 14 I would say you probably hit the ball pretty well.  As for some of the top picks  I would consider the Srixon 565s,  Cleveland CBX,  Mizuni JPX 900,  and Titleist AP1 or AP3,  or Ping G400,    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

^^^ Those are great recommendations. Maybe add Ping G700 or I500 but that is denpendent on you game.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I guess you edited your post since it originally asked about TM M4 irons. Having tested a lot of irons as part of the most wanted testing, they are pretty much all solid. Ideally you would give us some additional information beyond the 14 handicap. As a 14 I would say you probably hit the ball pretty well. As for some of the top picks I would consider the Srixon 565s, Cleveland CBX, Mizuni JPX 900, and Titleist AP1 or AP3, or Ping G400,

Keep us updated on your search

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

At 14 Hcap, you should pay close attention to the Cobra Connect Challenge.....Here you have 5 different setups Driver to Lob Wedge of the Cobra King F8 club's.....these are built for a 5 to 20 HcP.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've played 9 different sets of cavity back Irons the last 6 years and my index bounced around between 12 and 15. Sitting at a 9.1 with 6 weeks of gaming the Cleveland Launcher HB Irons. Maybe not for everyone but worth a look.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I've played 9 different sets of cavity back Irons the last 6 years and my index bounced around between 12 and 15. Sitting at a 9.1 with 6 weeks of gaming the Cleveland Launcher HB Irons. Maybe not for everyone but worth a look.

That's impressive and definitely worth a look.

Rick

Left Hand, 

That's impressive and definitely worth a look.

Thanks...I can't wait to post my stage 2 review on these and explain how they have helped my game so much.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thanks...I can't wait to post my stage 2 review on these and explain how they have helped my game so much.

The HB irons are no doubt among the most overlooked irons on the market. Just because you have a big butt doesn't mean you don't know how to shake it!  

I can't wait for you to post your stage 2 partner.  No doubt it will be worth the wait however folks are drooling like a coon pup after a good meal. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Looking forward to Stage 2's on these irons.

Rick

Left Hand, 

We can all give you great suggestions, but they are based on our games, not yours.  The MGS Most Wanted testing is the first place to start.  

Whenever I try new clubs, I head to a store that has all the brands I want to try.  Unfortunately, where I live, I don't get a chance to try everything.  However, I pick two brands and compare them against each other.  I always bring my current clubs with me for comparison.  If I like one better than the other, I make a note.  Next trip to the store, I select another club or two and compare with the first one.  If one stands out, I make a note.  I repeat until I've tried everything.  I don't rule out any because of looks.  Eventually, I get to the point where one or two clubs stand out.  Now I go to the fitter.  I never try everything all at once, only a few.  What feels good and works well now, doesn't always feel the same the next time.  If you try a club over several days or a week and it feels good, it's probably worth considering.  Just my $0.02.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

We can all give you great suggestions, but they are based on our games, not yours. The MGS Most Wanted testing is the first place to start.

Whenever I try new clubs, I head to a store that has all the brands I want to try. Unfortunately, where I live, I don't get a chance to try everything. However, I pick two brands and compare them against each other. I always bring my current clubs with me for comparison. If I like one better than the other, I make a note. Next trip to the store, I select another club or two and compare with the first one. If one stands out, I make a note. I repeat until I've tried everything. I don't rule out any because of looks. Eventually, I get to the point where one or two clubs stand out. Now I go to the fitter. I never try everything all at once, only a few. What feels good and works well now, doesn't always feel the same the next time. If you try a club over several days or a week and it feels good, it's probably worth considering. Just my $0.02.

What he said!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I am tired of reading reviews on other sites about clubs. I'm looking to get a new set of irons. I'm a 14 handicap and would like some honest answers about some irons to test. I will get fitted once I make my decision.

Honestly?

Nobody makes bad golf clubs. They're all good - you just need to find what works for you. If you are going to get fitted, go in with an open mind and listen to your fitter rather than a bunch of dudes on the internet who know nothing about your golf game or swing.

We can all give you great suggestions, but they are based on our games, not yours. The MGS Most Wanted testing is the first place to start.

Whenever I try new clubs, I head to a store that has all the brands I want to try. Unfortunately, where I live, I don't get a chance to try everything. However, I pick two brands and compare them against each other. I always bring my current clubs with me for comparison. If I like one better than the other, I make a note. Next trip to the store, I select another club or two and compare with the first one. If one stands out, I make a note. I repeat until I've tried everything. I don't rule out any because of looks. Eventually, I get to the point where one or two clubs stand out. Now I go to the fitter. I never try everything all at once, only a few. What feels good and works well now, doesn't always feel the same the next time. If you try a club over several days or a week and it feels good, it's probably worth considering. Just my $0.02.

This is basically the same path I took this spring when I was in the market for new clubs. I tried almost every model from the major club makers, some of them multiple time and narrowed it down to two sets and ultimately one. Did the same again recently when I went driver shopping, I tried 10 or more drivers from all the makers until I narrowed it down to what worked for me.

Good luck in your search.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

• 5 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 12:21 PM, PlaidJacket said:

Here's a video by Tom Wishon I think will be enlightening to you.

Wishon Golf - The Facts of Life About the Golf Equipment Industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZJUO4ZQ_s

This is an enlightening video.  I don't think it's that easy to find a good fitter though.  They seem to tailor to folks looking to buy Miura and similar clubs.  Those are hardly the clubs for those who would benefit most from a fitting.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

This is an enlightening video.  I don't think it's that easy to find a good fitter though.  They seem to tailor to folks looking to buy Miura and similar clubs.  Those are hardly the clubs for those who would benefit most from a fitting.

Wishon trying to present something that’s “left” that’s already being done. My sets of Ping i210s and Edel cavity back irons were all built to exact specs of weight, loft, lie, shafts spec’d, etc. He presents nothing new. He does toot his own horn quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

5 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Wishon trying to present something that’s “left” that’s already being done. My sets of Ping i210s and Edel cavity back irons were all built to exact specs of weight, loft, lie, shafts spec’d, etc. He presents nothing new. He does toot his own horn quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wishon is the master at trying to prop himself up by putting other companies down. 

I was on the Wishon band wagon for a bit. Even went to get fit for a set of Wishon irons. They didn't really work out and decided not to purchase.

I still think Wishon probably does get a lot of things right. I don't quite get why he brags about not paying attention to what other golf companies are doing. Suggests to me he thinks he knows all the answers to club building—no way someone else could have a good idea.

I think he does have a point when he talks about how a lot of "new" technology is re-tread of things that have been done in the past. However, that doesn't mean that a company can't make an improvement on a previous design (with new materials, methods of manufacture).

All that said, I sometimes game his 919THI driver and that head is sooo solid.

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the tm m2s when they came out and still love them. Recently went to club champion to do the entire bag fitting and tried the new tm. I hate everything from drivers to irons. Even the fitter mentioned how much worse I hit the new irons. No clue what it was but hated them and the stats showed it. Pings irons and wedges I really liked I just didn’t need new irons. But will probably go with ping wedges once I need new ones 

Archived