TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Srixon/Cleveland Gear for 2019

It will be round and dimpled....and will feature the Srixon logo somewhere on the cover....

Well it was worth a try. I am generally a cheap 2 piece ball guy but played the Z Star yesterday with great results. Really curious about the new offering. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be on the lookout.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the QST so I'll be interested to see where this new ball lands.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

They have the Q Star Tour (2 Piece), Z Star (3 Piece), Z Star XV (4 Piece) in their tour lineup.

So is it a 5 piece ball to compete with the TP5x or is it another non-urethane ball? That's the big question

I wonder if they may go after the AVX but is that like the Q Star Tour?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

By the tease they just posted on Twitter, it seems to be the Q Star Tour now being available in Tour Yellow

I saw that too. If that's the case then it's not really a “new ball”, just a variation. Granted it's one that a lot of golfers have been asking for since it was first released, but still.

I saw that too. If that's the case then it's not really a “new ball”, just a variation. Granted it's one that a lot of golfers have been asking for since it was first released, but still.

Yeah, that would be disappointing, I was hoping for a TP5 competitor. I like the performance of the TP5 but they don't hold up well for me.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Hoping new Z-stars mean another sale on the current Z-stars! Love when they are $25/dzn

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

They have the Q Star Tour (2 Piece), Z Star (3 Piece), Z Star XV (4 Piece) in their tour lineup.

So is it a 5 piece ball to compete with the TP5x or is it another non-urethane ball?  That's the big question

I think the Q-Star Tour is a 3 PC ball?

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Can't wait, I love playing the QST's

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I just got the announcement email from Srixon. I'm excited, for 2 reasons. 1) the original QST is a fantastic ball, and if they're making it even better, especially for slower swinger, I'm all on board. 

Also, 2) This means the 1st gen should go on sale/clearance and I will happily stock up!

I played the Z Star the last couple of rounds and they seem more accurate than the lower compression balls I usually play. Hitting more greens and fairways, my misses aren't as pronounced and a lot more shots going right at the flag. Not sure if it's the ball or I've been dialed in but I'm sticking with it for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I am surprised we haven't seen a review of these new wedges here on MGS. Has anyone gotten a look or swing on them? I am a big fan of Cleveland wedges and am looking around for a new 56. Are they worth it? I have been looking at the Equalizers but I do love my clevelands. If Scratch hadn't gone out of business it wouldn't be a question for me.

I am surprised we haven't seen a review of these new wedges here on MGS. Has anyone gotten a look or swing on them? I am a big fan of Cleveland wedges and am looking around for a new 56. Are they worth it? I have been looking at the Equalizers but I do love my clevelands. If Scratch hadn't gone out of business it wouldn't be a question for me.

I'll definitely be posting my thoughts on them after I demo them on Wednesday!

Really hoping they have some U85s at the demo day on Wednesday.

I love that Srixon is offering u85/combo sets

I'm sad golf galaxy isn't carrying the srixon brand other than balls this year. I really wanted to try their driving iron

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Will do a write up later this evening. But man what a lineup

Really looking forward to reading that.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

The 60/9 worked so good Sunday, I stopped in and picked up a 54 **

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

My driving range is incredible and always does the best demo days for its customers.  Today was no exception as they had their Srixon rep come in with all of his Srixon and Cleveland goodies for a free demo day.  Of course I wanted to hit the 785 irons and the u85 utility iron, but I was going to put all of the Srixon gear and the new Cleveland wedges through their paces.

RTX-4 Wedges

Look is fantastic.  Feel is just as good as anything out there.

The footprint still seems to be a bit on the larger side, but that just be the way it looks down by the ball.  It definitely looks a bit bigger than the Vokeys still. What I was most impressed with is the new sole, particularly the mid sole on the high lofted wedges.  The 60 degree mid came in with 9 degrees of bounce, but due to the sole shape it sat extremely flat on the range mat, even in the open position. Slid under the ball with ease and had a nice soft bounce from the sole to loft the ball up in the air with ease.  One of the most pleasing wedges the I've ever hit flop slots off a range mat with. I wonder who those results would transfer to a tight fairway lie. I also hit the 54 degree wedge (mid sole) and the distance was true and the trajectory is what I would expect with a 54 degree wedge.  I did notice that the 54 did appear slightly smaller than the 60, and the 50 appeared even smaller. The larger size of the 60 that gave me the initial impression on size was noticeable compared to the lower lofts, but if it performs on the course like it did of the range mat, I would quickly forget about the size at address.

H85 Hybrids and F85 Fairway Woods.

I hit the H85 hybrid with the Hzrdus Black 6.0 shaft and the F85 with the Hzrdus Red 6.0.  What became apparent immediately was these heads are super easy to launch. I was launching a 13.5 degree fairway wood off a range mat with a Hzrdus Black shaft with ease.  I would argue that, for me, they were TOO easy to launch. I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one of these hybrids or fairway woods off the rack because I would really need to get fit for them to optimize my launch conditions.  I was hitting into a headwind and the ball was still really getting out there. The hybrid was traveling expected distances, but it seemed like I was getting almost too much height. I wish they had a fairway wood in a different shaft because the HZDRUS red was not a good pairing with the F85 head for me.  So easy to get up in the air and it was just too high. I think these heads are going to fit a ton of people and make hybrids and fairway woods easy to hit off the deck for people who have struggled elevating these clubs in the past. I think for higher swing speed players, they will need to get fit into an appropriate loft and shaft combination to ensure they are optimizing their numbers.

U85 Utility Irons

The rep had every loft offering for the u85s and I hit them all.  Unfortunately they only had the stock Recoil 95 shafts for them (F4 stiff) and it wasn't a good fit for me.  Similar to the hybrid and fairway woods, the utility irons launched with ease and I was hitting some moonshots with them.  Distance was outstanding, and it makes me drool thinking about what these could do with the proper shaft in them for me. I think the u85 with the recoils will fit a ton of golfers, especially ones that previously didn't have the speed to properly launch a utility iron.  The feel of the u85 was was fantastic. I gamed a u45 for a few months in 2017 and the u85 feels much more solid at impact. I had high hopes for the u85 and it delivered. Now if I could only find somewhere that would be able to fit me for the u85s.

785 irons

I was really excited to hit these irons.  I gamed the 545 irons and 745 irons for a while before I got Mizunos and I loved them.  My only problem with the 745s was the sole was just two wide and because I have a shallow angle it didn't really fit me.  Well, Srixon refined the sole to what I would deem nearly perfect. They kept the performance properties of the v sole, but narrowed the sole quite a bit while also rounding it a bit towards the back.  These irons were a blast to hit. For such a compact head, they were extremely easy to launch (I think I am noticing a theme here). I got to hit the 785 irons with Project X 6.0, PX LZ 6.5, Nippon 120S, and DG X100 shafts.  I had no trouble launching the irons with any of the shafts I tried and the feel at impact, even with range balls, was as good as anything out there. Do they feel as good as my JPX 900 Tours? Hard to tell. They feel different enough to distinguish between the two, but they both feel incredible.  If I were to ever think about purchasing these irons, it would be done through a thorough fitting so I could make sure I would have a nice blend of u85s and 785s

785 Driver

So we've all read the MGS article by now. Srixon is so confident about their new drivers that they are doing a money back claim.  Literally putting their money where their mouth is. So even though I am over the moon with my current driver, I had to hit the 785 driver, right?

Big Mistake.

After hitting everything else I finally went and grabbed a 785 driver with a big boy HZRDUS Black 6.5 shaft.  I am currently gaming a HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 shaft so I thought this would give me a good comparison. Driver was set to 9.5, again, the same as my current driver.  After hitting just 5 balls, I looked at the rep and just said “damn!' and he returned a “right!?” The 785, looks fantastic, feels fantastic and looks fantastic. I love the sound it produces.  It launched, even set to 9.5 with a Hzrdus Black 6.5 shaft, with absolute ease (continuing the theme). The guy in the bay next to me stopped and started watching me hit balls to the back of the range with ease - with the limited flight range balls.  The guy remarked “how far would you hit that thing with real balls?” The Srixon rep said “lets find out” and went over to one of his staff bags and tossed me a Z Star. I teed it up and launched it halfway up the trees in the back of the range. Into the wind. This thing was a missle launcher.  I went back to my bag and grabbed my beloved F8+ and hit some nice balls. Went back to the 785 and it matched the cobra shot for shot. I can't say with any confidence the I hit the 785 better or further due to the lack of launch monitor and limited flight range balls, but there were a few balls that I hit that had me scratching my head and laughing to myself.  Srixon definitely has something here with this line of drivers and I think they can run with any of the big OEM Drivers and then some.

My overall experience was great and I was impressed with how nice the lineup was from top to bottom.  My biggest takeaway from the demo day is that I could not buy anything (except maybe the driver) off the rack and would need a true fitting to get the most of the 785 irons, u85, h85, and f85.  The ease at which they all launch is really incredible and I would want to make sure I was not losing distance from TOO much launch and that my gaps were correct.

I think Srixon Demo Days should have a new slogan:

Srixon: Come for the Irons, Stay for the Driver

Also - it was 95 degrees out so I didn't spend any time with the 585 driver or irons.  What I can say about the 585 irons is they look much better in person than they do in pictures.

If anyone has any questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer!

Thanks for the great report! Those are some sexy looking clubs!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I really enjoyed jlukes review of the Srixon / Cleveland gear,

but was also impressed by his willingness to accept the advice of the fitter and his/her launch monitor.

I never got better than a 7, nor sustained anything better than an 8 for any significant period of time.

And I was a professional athlete.

jlukes is a 2.6,   a number sadly reminiscent of the  GPA with which I graduated from college. .

Now I can guess why, to an extent.  I could have gone to a fitter, gotten superb advice as to fitting and gear choice, and then I would have ordered exactly what I wanted in the first place.

Some people were just not meant to be scratch players.

Archived