Our Sponsors

I have played with many different people and almost everyone I talked to wanted the opposite of what they had. All of the faders want draws and all of the drawers wanted fades. All of the high hitters wanted a low flight and all the low hitters want high flights. Do golfers always want what they don't have? I find it a strange mentality to have. If you play something that works, why do you want something that may not work better?

So, what do you play and is it what you wished you played?

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think it's a perception thing for some. The concept of draw goes further so faders want the distance. Those with draw want to fade for better control and consistency as a fadexis usually a lot easy to control or has more playable misses. Many thibknthey hitvto high but haven't really seen on how high a tour player hits it and the low hitter knows they can get more distance with some added height

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The only shot I wish I had that I don't is putting. It's getting there but, if you put the practice in and are serious about golf, learning to move the ball on all directions is a must.

I wasn't the greatest junior player. Not the greatest adult player either, but I made it a goal to be able to hit shots on command.

• Like 2

My natural shot for years was a fade, but once I started finally getting my weight shifting properly it morphed into a tiny draw without much effort. I don't mind that, but the draw can quickly turn into a massive hook, vs. my fade which never really turned into a banana slice after my first few years of golfing. However, I usually don't know what I'm going to hit until I hit the range before I tee off :D

The pro I took lessons with was a firm believer in using the shape you hit the most if you're a weekend duffer, with the least amount of effort. He feeling was that trying to force a different shot shape on the regular, aside from a certain shot you may need out on the course once or twice a round, would mess up your body's idea on what it needed to do to hit the ball towards your target. 

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

"The grass is always greener" sums up peoples thoughts I feel.

The supermodel that hates some part of her looks.....The rich guy that wants a bigger house/boat/car....the golfer that wants..err..uhm..everything :)

• Like 6

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Heck I normally hit a fade and I aim to hit that normally, but yesterday I was hitting a draw almost all day. I can force myself to hit a fade when I'm on a draw day but I cannot force myself to hit a draw unless I change a few things up, which sometimes feels weird. I use to want to hit a draw instead of my fade but I learned to enjoy what I naturally hit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I have played with many different people and almost everyone I talked to wanted the opposite of what they had. All of the faders want draws and all of the drawers wanted fades. All of the high hitters wanted a low flight and all the low hitters want high flights. Do golfers always want what they don't have? I find it a strange mentality to have. If you play something that works, why do you want something that may not work better?

So, what do you play and is it what you wished you played?

It's like a woman's hair. Straight/curly, long/short, red/black/brown/blonde... They always want something other than what they have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I don't think they'd prefer a fade or draw I think it's wanting to be able to work both. That's atleast the dream. Hit the shot I need on call

This is me. I normally play a draw.  And I love to play that shot.  But I would pay just about any amount of money to be able to hit a fade as well. I can every now and then, but it's usually completely accidental or it cuts way too much or not nearly enough.  If I ever play a course that demands a fade on most of the holes, I'll be completely screwed.

• Like 2

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

My normal shot is a fade (well ok maybe a slice). We have a long par 5 dogleg right. The fairway slopes to the left so for a lefty it accentuates the fade or slice and at the very least could add an extra 40 yds. or worse case water ball. Yeah I wish I had a draw in my bag of tricks just for that hole. 

• Like 3

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Yeah, I am with you guys. Play what works for you. I generally play a straight ball but I don't know until I tee off on the first. Most days it is a straight but sometimes it is a draw or cut. I will then adjust my aim if the draw or cut comes. I envy the people that can work it both ways on demand.

• Like 1

I have every shot possible, I just don't know when they will show up!

• Like 8

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I used to have a power fade (pronounced "slice"). One year over the winter something must've happened and I was hitting baby draws. Last season I self taught myself how to work a fade. It usually works. Sometimes I over cook it a bit, but that's why no one pays to watch me golf.

Personally I prefer my stock shot of a "high" draw. In my head I hit a pretty high ball, but I know compared to scratch or better golfers I'm on the low side.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Back at GB13 it is better to work the ball one way or the other than to hit a straight ball.  It actually makes your target area wider.  Follow me -

If I aim down the middle of a fairway that is 40 yards wide and try to hit a straight ball I only have a 20 yard margin of error - I could go left or right - I don't know which way (unless I'm missing the same way 80 percent of time and then I would have to adjust my aim)

However, take the same 40 yard fairway and aim inside the right rough line 10 yards - if it doesn't draw no big deal and if it does I have a 30 yard margin or error - I even have 10 yards to the right to allow for the push draw (a common occurrence for someone who regularly plays a draw). 

The only tour play that I can recall who successfully hit a straight ball was Calvin Pete - everyone else had a little bend to his shot or in some cases a lot of bend (back in the balata days.)  Guys like Hale Irwin or Fuzzy Zoeller or Bruce (God rest his soul) Lietzke really curved the ball a lot.  Ironically Trevino didn't unless he was trying to - it was just this little baby fade but it always faded - low little cut.  Nicklaus too, for all the talk about his fade it just barely peeled off to the right - high, very high, ridiculously high for that day - little fade.

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Back at GB13 it is better to work the ball one way or the other than to hit a straight ball. It actually makes your target area wider. Follow me -

If I aim down the middle of a fairway that is 40 yards wide and try to hit a straight ball I only have a 20 yard margin of error - I could go left or right - I don't know which way (unless I'm missing the same way 80 percent of time and then I would have to adjust my aim)

However, take the same 40 yard fairway and aim inside the right rough line 10 yards - if it doesn't draw no big deal and if it does I have a 30 yard margin or error - I even have 10 yards to the right to allow for the push draw (a common occurrence for someone who regularly plays a draw).

The only tour play that I can recall who successfully hit a straight ball was Calvin Pete - everyone else had a little bend to his shot or in some cases a lot of bend (back in the balata days.) Guys like Hale Irwin or Fuzzy Zoeller or Bruce (God rest his soul) Lietzke really curved the ball a lot. Ironically Trevino didn't unless he was trying to - it was just this little baby fade but it always faded - low little cut. Nicklaus too, for all the talk about his fade it just barely peeled off to the right - high, very high, ridiculously high for that day - little fade.

Thanks for the logic. My tee shots generally have very low side spin. Maybe 10 feet of curve one way or another. When I miss fairways, side spin is never the issue. I struggle to start the ball on the intended line. My miss is either a pull or a push. I tried to hit a consistent fade earlier this year and still had the same miss. I pulled most things left and didn't get any cut spin. The problem was, I aimed 10 yards off the left and tried to peel it back. I then pulled it 15 yards and ended up in the rough. I would then aim down the middle and pull it 25 yards and still end up in the rough. When hitting at greens, I aim at my target and will most likely pull it or push it. If I pull it 3 yards, it fades 3 yards. If I push it 3 yards, it draws 3 yards. I like what I do with the irons but would like a shape with the driver. I think I will try to have the 10 foot curve go to the right for the next few rounds. I think my problem before was I didn't pick a small enough target and I went for too large of a cut. The logic convinced me. I probably lose 6 of the 9 shots I need to be scratch of the tee.

Read the Bible, Genesis 3, people always s covet what's not theirs. :)

I draw the ball, I'm happy drawing the ball, working the ball both ways is over rated I've seen very few people who can successfully do it on the golf course, on demand - and now of course we will see post after post about guys who can hit shots through all nine windows all the time .... But I haven't played with you, I've played in some fairly big tournaments and seen lots of good players and no one that I know chose to work the ball both ways - they picked a shot shape and stuck with it because it's easier to perfect one with a couple of variations (up, down) than be mediocre at five.

Of course there are times when I wish I hit fades, like after a period where I haven't played well. That's normal.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Amen Brother!

• Like 1

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I play a draw with pretty much everything except my wedges. I also hit the ball pretty high across the board. Both are what I like to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"