Regional Combined Introduction Threads Read more... ×
Spy Chat: The Hall of Fame for MGS Read more... ×
Jason1981

Big guy saying hello and needs some updated equipment

I am new to mygolfspy.com and I love all of it.  I have recently started golfing again regularly and am interested in some new clubs and overall improving my game with and without technology. My handicap is somewhere around 18-22 if I had to guess.

Driver: Orlimar tri-metal 440cc

fairway woods: also olimar tri-metal

Irons: ACER XK pro 4-GW

slotline putter (probably 28 years old)

titelist 14 way bag

brooks running shoes.

I don't have favorite grips, but my hands sweat even when they shouldn't and am in the market.

I am also a big guy...5'10 300+ and am trying to lose weight while improving my golf game.

I am intrigued by blades.  If I can hit them well, I know I am doing it right.  (I don't own blades).

Say hello, and any advice would be appreciated.

Jason

• Like 2

Play it Again Sports would be the first place I would visit if I was in the market for clubs and was just breaking back into the game.  And since you have a Titleist bag you know you have to stock that bag with Titleist clubs and balls, right?  You read that in the rulebook, right?   :blink:  ;)  :D

Seriously, if I had any advice (that was worth a fart) I'd be at Bellerive right now in some capacity.  Other than that nonsense, one club at a time baby!

• Like 1

If your handicap is around 18-22, I wouldn't worry about blades right now.  What I would keep an eye out for is game improvement irons.  Mygolfspy does great reviews about which game improvement irons are best.  

Look for cavity back irons.  Cavity Backs will give you much more confidence when you're standing over the ball at address.  I would go to golf galaxy and test out any iron you feel could help you.  then go to ebay to purchase them.  You can get a good set of used irons for a good price. 

As for the weight, just get walking.  spend time on the practice range chipping and putting then go chase them. 

Good luck getting started again.  Most important thing to remember is to have fun and don't get discouraged.  All golfers had to have a beginning point some time.    

• Like 2

MWelcome to MGS from NE Ohio!  Before you buy anything, do like one of Markelley said go try clubs at a big box store. Also, take some lessons to get back in the groove and then spend the money and get fitted! Enjoy this site!

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest!  Glad you joined us Jason.  You've come to the right place for equipment.  

Hi... and forget the blades!!

Is Pam Anderson sexy.. yes. Good for most men... No.

Lol Plaid that statement would be true 20 years ago :D

• Like 1

Greetings from Idaho! I'll be looking for updates from you on your pending journey.

You're already getting very sound advice and there's not much I can add, but I'd definitely echo the thought to lean away from blades and seek out "game-improvement" type irons. The ones I carry are considered "super game-improvement" and without the technology they have with all the built-in forgiveness, I'd have quit already. Just some more food for thought.

Welcome to MGS from Metro-Detroit.  Enjoy the forums.  Plenty of different threads out there to address some of the things you mentioned already.

Welcome!  Instead of buying equipment, find out where you are losing strokes.  If your swing isn't consistent, go get lessons.  If you find your swing is ok but need to get a golf equipment fix, then buy a set you like but that will help make the game easy and fun (blades do take a bit more practice and more of a consistent swing to get the most out of them).  Good luck and have fun out there.

MDGolfHacker

welcome to the forum.

2 things are important for a good game.

1. fitness - even Jiminez does it

2. the right clubs. very few people are using blades now a days. and that includes the pros.

don't even consider it

enjoy the game and have fun