TESTERS WANTED! ×

Finally got a Scotty!

Jeeves

I have had an old ping that I have been using for close to 10 years. Since I was younger, I always wanted a Scotty Cameron putter. Just always loved the classic Newport look and finish. However, I never got the guts to shell out the money... So I have been using a similar profiled Ping - with great success.

Well, my fiance surprised me for V-day with the Scotty she knew I wanted. I was psyched - but then took it to the course and proceeded to putt like crap. lol It is obviously way heavier than my ping, and the ball comes off the face way different as well.

I will stick with it though.... but cant help but wonder if I would be better off staying with the ping. time will tell

Jeeves, hope you enjoy it and make lots of putts with it.

I just got two new Camerons at the first of the year....looking forward to trying them out. With the KC winter here, all I've gotten to do is try them on the carpet in the basement.

I had some pro shop credit I had to use by the end of the year. Of course....Cameron doesn't yet make the exact putter I want -- I'd like a Circa 62, no.2 with the sole weights of the CA series. So, I did the next best thing and ordered one of each to try.

One thing though: The Circa 62 came with the grip put on roughly 6-8* open. You'd think for the money you pay for these things and the way they tout them as finely crafted and all, that they'd at least come with the stupid grip put on straight.

One thing though: The Circa 62 came with the grip put on roughly 6-8* open. You'd think for the money you pay for these things and the way they tout them as finely crafted and all, that they'd at least come with the stupid grip put on straight.

You WOULD think.... However, most of the putters I look at have grips installed crooked. Perhaps I am a little twisted???

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

Monterey is a nice putter. The finish is getting a bad review (deserved?). I had a heavy Monterey that I just sold after it became the latest victim of my Byron 006.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Monterey is a nice putter. The finish is getting a bad review (deserved?). I had a heavy Monterey that I just sold after it became the latest victim of my Byron 006.

Uh....what?....Ok, fill me in on the "bad reviews". I hadn't heard anything.

Well, my California Monterey is holding up well. I have only had my putter for a few months now and haven't played a lot, but it puts fantastic and the finish hasn't shown any signs of wear or tear.

The finishes on the California series putters wear. Just like the original newports. Doesn't affect perfomance, just look.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

• SPY VIP

The finishes on the California series putters wear. Just like the original newports. Doesn't affect perfomance, just look.

I just read that the sole finish was coming off faster than some thought it should. I did see a picture somewhere of a Monterey that had all of the Honey Dip removed. It looked fantastic.

That putter does have a great feel.

Volvo Intorqueo

I just read that the sole finish was coming off faster than some thought it should. I did see a picture somewhere of a Monterey that had all of the Honey Dip removed. It looked fantastic.

That putter does have a great feel.

Faster than it should?? I'm sure that Scott wants the finish to come off the first day. Think of all the refinish jobs there will be to do then..... $$$$$$$

• SPY VIP

Faster than it should?? I'm sure that Scott wants the finish to come off the first day. Think of all the refinish jobs there will be to do then..... $$$$$$$

After I read your post, the first thing through my mind was "..and the rebels will find that this Death Star is fully operational."

Volvo Intorqueo

I just can't get the hype about Scotties. I tried several, and I don't think they're any different than any other putter. It's really amazing how marketing directs people to think one product is better than the other.

sdfut.jpg

Addicted to golf since February 2008

Best Score: 89

Birdies: 12

I know the title of the thread is "Finally got a Scotty" but I just wanted to let everyone know that "I Finally got RID of my Scotty"... :lol:

I am now down to one putter from about 15...YAY!! Time to start ho'ing again.

I won't buy any more Scotty's (I don't have the same fever that some do for them) but if my SeeMore starts to argue with me I will call Chris at SunsetBeach for one of his beauties!

• SPY VIP

I know the title of the thread is "Finally got a Scotty" but I just wanted to let everyone know that "I Finally got RID of my Scotty"... :D

I am now down to one putter from about 15...YAY!! Time to start ho'ing again.

I won't buy any more Scotty's (I don't have the same fever that some do for them) but if my SeeMore starts to argue with me I will call Chris at SunsetBeach for one of his beauties!

Congrats! I am down to 1 Scotty, but it is one that I really like. Teryllium 2 Newport Longneck. It is my office putter at work. Occasionally it slips out to the practice green, but Byron keeps it out of the bag.

Volvo Intorqueo

Congrats!! But to be honest, I'm putting more better with my Odyssey Sabertooth than anything Scotty has. I have a Circa 62 #3 and enjoy it, but it's not the end all be all. I love Rossa putter's too.. especially the Itsy Bitsy. I've tried the Scotty Kombi putter as well, but don't like it near as much as the Odyssey's.

Current bag: Some Callaway, some Cleveland. Down to 2 OEM's!

• SPY VIP

Congrats!! But to be honest, I'm putting more better with my Odyssey Sabertooth than anything Scotty has. I have a Circa 62 #3 and enjoy it, but it's not the end all be all. I love Rossa putter's too.. especially the Itsy Bitsy. I've tried the Scotty Kombi putter as well, but don't like it near as much as the Odyssey's.

Maybe the stainless Kombi will turn you to the dark side. Coming soon...

Volvo Intorqueo

Congrats, I guess by now you know this girl is a keeper, especially with gifts like that~!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

It's not so much that I'm crazy about Cameron putters, but the specialty putter houses are just too expensive for me to fork over that much money. Yes, the Cameron's are over-priced....but at least with them I can use pro-shop credit and have something that will retain a bit of value.

Heck, my gamer for last season was a Ping Scotsdale Anser that I got for $20. :D

• SPY VIP

It's not so much that I'm crazy about Cameron putters, but the specialty putter houses are just too expensive for me to fork over that much money. Yes, the Cameron's are over-priced....but at least with them I can use pro-shop credit and have something that will retain a bit of value.

Heck, my gamer for last season was a Ping Scotsdale Anser that I got for $20. :D

That is a great pick-up. I like some of the Scotty offerings, but there are so many small putter manufactures who can make a custom stick for about the price of an OTR Cameron. My current putter was expensive, but never once has price entered my mind when I am using it. It was about the price of a new Cameron too.

Volvo Intorqueo

I am strangely drawn to the Odyssey Sabertooth. Plus, I'd never have to bend over to pick up a ball again. That alone might be worth gaming it.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I am strangely drawn to the Odyssey Sabertooth. Plus, I'd never have to bend over to pick up a ball again. That alone might be worth gaming it.

Almost got one when they came out. Very nice putter. I think that they messed it up a bit this year with the colors on the ice version. Dots on top line are just not right.

When Rocco used one at Torrey, I thought they would be in way more bags. I think that people who would game it are using the spider.

I wanted to be able to growl / roar after putting on in. Sabertooth ROAR!!

Volvo Intorqueo

That plus it may be used as a weapon to fight off wildlife or unwanted revelers..

• SPY VIP

That plus it may be used as a weapon to fight off wildlife or unwanted revelers..

Seems quite well suited for fighting during Pon farr rituals too. (too obscure?)

Volvo Intorqueo

As much as I enjoy the Cameron putters I've gamed in the past 2 years, I'm really getting tired of marketing monster and how his catering to tour players has driven so many recreational players crazy with his products. The fact that milled keychains are selling for over 100 dollars on eBay sickens me. Leather cash covers? Am I the only one looking around wondering how this dude managed to fool people into spending 200 dollars on a non-functional wallet/money clip?

Almost to the point where I don't feel like supporting his product line anymore. I currently game a 9 year old 33" Newport Midslant PP and have offloaded many of the Craiglist Camerons I've acquired/gamed over the last couple years. If I could find something that felt the same and looked the same at address I'd gladly toss this one to the masses.

Scotty Cameron does make good putters. His sticker price when compared to driver/iron prices is reasonable imho. His marketing gimmicks are ridiculous though. You'll regularly find people playing brand new Newport putters who three putt every hole and would greatly benefit from a mallet with higher MOI. Just shameful.

As much as I enjoy the Cameron putters I've gamed in the past 2 years, I'm really getting tired of marketing monster and how his catering to tour players has driven so many recreational players crazy with his products. The fact that milled keychains are selling for over 100 dollars on eBay sickens me. Leather cash covers? Am I the only one looking around wondering how this dude managed to fool people into spending 200 dollars on a non-functional wallet/money clip?

Almost to the point where I don't feel like supporting his product line anymore. I currently game a 9 year old 33" Newport Midslant PP and have offloaded many of the Craiglist Camerons I've acquired/gamed over the last couple years. If I could find something that felt the same and looked the same at address I'd gladly toss this one to the masses.

Scotty Cameron does make good putters. His sticker price when compared to driver/iron prices is reasonable imho. His marketing gimmicks are ridiculous though. You'll regularly find people playing brand new Newport putters who three putt every hole and would greatly benefit from a mallet with higher MOI. Just shameful.

I have to agree with the insane products that he offers. On ebay you can find headcovers that go up to $200. I love my scotty but everything that he offers that isn't a putter is a little rediculous. I wanted a scotty headcover but I couldn't find a good reason to buy a $50+ headcover thats gonna sit in my bag and the garage when im not playing so I ended up buying an AM&E headcover that is the exact same thing just without the logos. Scotty has gotten a little crazy with his $200 headcovers, $35 grips, and fake wallets and ugly golf bags.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

• SPY VIP

I have to agree with the insane products that he offers. On ebay you can find headcovers that go up to $200. I love my scotty but everything that he offers that isn't a putter is a little rediculous. I wanted a scotty headcover but I couldn't find a good reason to buy a $50+ headcover thats gonna sit in my bag and the garage when im not playing so I ended up buying an AM&E headcover that is the exact same thing just without the logos. Scotty has gotten a little crazy with his $200 headcovers, $35 grips, and fake wallets and ugly golf bags.

Not to defend Scotty, but would he make these things if there wasn't a market for them? I had the same WTF thought with the milled rings, although I sort of got it after the story about them. This may be the Beanie Baby craze of the golf industry. They only have value if they are perceived as valuable. Some of those silly toys were going for big bank. As long as people wanted them they were expensive. Once the fad was over, not so much. Maybe this is coming for the Cameron creations too...

Volvo Intorqueo

Archived