Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

electronic scoring and pace of play

g-off

anyone else play with people/courses that have a cell phone app for scoring and find it just takes a little too long between holes as they play with the phone?  I guess I may be too old school and realize that a pencil can still do the same job without slowing things down.  Curious if anyone else has thoughts on this?

rant over

I use an app and I put my score, putts, fairway hit and everything else in before I get to the next tee box. It takes me less than 20 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

anyone else play with people/courses that have a cell phone app for scoring and find it just takes a little too long between holes as they play with the phone?  I guess I may be too old school and realize that a pencil can still do the same job without slowing things down.  Curious if anyone else has thoughts on this?

rant over

User error~

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

It definitely depends on the system.

For a while, I used SwingXSwing. The paid version allows you to use your smartwatch to enter all your scoring information, and that was easy to do while walking.

On the other hand, I found that when I was using the Game Golf app, I would waste time editing shots, making sure it was tagging putts either on the green or not, etc., during the round. Not only was it slow and potentially inconsiderate, but it was a distraction from actually playing golf. I still use the Game Golf device, but I don't pair it with my phone during the round and don't look at it until I'm back at my computer.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I have used shotbyshot which has both a digital recording method and paper recording method. But the digital way is usually faster. There are lots of details and I usually walk so there is plenty of time to record shot info.

This fall I'm gonna try out the arccos system that fits in the grips. Looks like it may be better and faster.

Andrew - Lexington, KY

Handicap: 12

Righty

Driver:  Taylormade M1 2017 Project X HZRDUS Black 70 x-stiff

4 Wood:  Callaway Rogue Project X HZRDUS Yellow 85 x-stiff

Hybrids:  Titleist 816 h1 21* Diamana D+ White 90hy

Irons: Srixon Z 565 4i, Z 765 5-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges:  Callaway MD3 50* & 54*, PM Grind 58* Project X 6.0

Putter:  Callaway O-Works Two Ball 34"

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X

Bag:   Ping Hoofer 14

I'm the only one that uses an App while playing with my bunch. It's pretty much a golf gambling app. I guess it might be considered a specific use app. Doesn't keep stats and stuff, gps, or social media junk. You set up your game, amount of bet, enter scores and that's it. Takes a few second to enter scores after each hole.

It's called - Strokes.

Android only.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't find that it takes any longer.  Prefer not to be the cart driver when entering data.   I do find that it distracts me from the social aspect of golf which is in my opinion the bigger issue

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've used all different methods of scoring and tracking from paper scorecard, phone app, and now I currently use my Garmin Approach S20 which sits on my wrist and I am extremely thrilled with it.

I used to use the GolfPadGPS app on my phone to track scores and yardage, but man, what a pain in the butt, not to mention slow and cumbersome. Turn phone on in fairway to get distance, stick it back in your pocket. Grab your club and go. After the hole is over pull phone out of pocket, open the app back up, record your score, turn off the phone and back in your pocket. Half the time you have to reload the app, etc. Oh, and if you use the app for 18 holes you'll hopefully have enough battery left to actually use the phone leaving the course. The app stayed active for 4 hours which completely drained your battery.

So my wife got me the Garmin Approach S20 for Christmas. Best gift ever. I start the round before I tee off, and it sits on my wrist, just like a caddie. It tracks every shot without me having to do anything to it, and when I am on the green it prompts me for the score. I enter my strokes, putts, if I hit the fairway, and if I had any penalty strokes. I usually enter all of this in about 5 seconds while waiting for someone else is putting out on the hole after I have putted out. If I am last to finish I enter the data while we are walking to the cart.

Those of you who still use a paper scorecard actually slow me down, because with my Garmin I've already entered my score before we got to the cart. Most of you get to the cart and are then asking everyone what they shot while holding up the group behind us, waiting for you to move your cart away from the green.

Which leads me to my closing thought. Wait to record your score on a paper scorecard when you are at the next tee box, purely for the reason I gave you above.

Once you get a wristwatch to record your score, it will make scorekeeping so easy and efficient that you'll never go back to a paper scorecard.

Oh, and for you luddites with a pencil, I know my score coming off of 18 green for the entire round as soon as I record my last score. You have to go back to the cart and spend the next 10 minutes doing the math in your head. My Garmin tells me my score per nine, as well as how many putts and GIR all in my display and it tells me how long it took us to play 18 holes and how many miles I walked during the round.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

anyone else play with people/courses that have a cell phone app for scoring and find it just takes a little too long between holes as they play with the phone? I guess I may be too old school and realize that a pencil can still do the same job without slowing things down. Curious if anyone else has thoughts on this?

rant over

Lots of ways to slow play and when it comes down to it each one of those ways is a result of someone not being courteous to those around them. Digital equipment can slow down play but it doesn't have to if you just use the natural pause in play to enter your score. That pause could be standing on the green while others putt out, waiting your turn to tee off or even while someone searches for a lost ball. Players just need to be cognizant or courteous to those around them.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I use an app and I put my score, putts, fairway hit and everything else in before I get to the next tee box. It takes me less than 20 seconds.

I use a pencil - it's takes me less cosiderably less. I guess I may be in the minority these days, but ultimately if you really want to use stats to confirm what you actually did on the course, you may be better off using that theory and applying it to your pre-shot routine rather than your post shot tally. I'm pretty sure that some people really don't need a stat to telll them where their weaknesses (or indeed strengths) are in their game. At the end on the day, it' not how - it's how many. And you can take all the time you want to break that down after the round.

I use a pencil - it's takes me less cosiderably less. I guess I may be in the minority these days, but ultimately if you really want to use stats to confirm what you actually did on the course, you may be better off using that theory and applying it to your pre-shot routine rather than your post shot tally. I'm pretty sure that some people really don't need a stat to telll them where their weaknesses (or indeed strengths) are in their game. At the end on the day, it' not how - it's how many. And you can take all the time you want to break that down after the round.

For me, it is not considerably less time to write it down. I can screw around on my phone while walking or in a moving cart. I have to be standing/sitting still to write anything that is not totally illegible.

I think Steddy nailed it - it can take longer if you are not careful, depending on what you are trying to do, but being situationally aware goes a long way.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I've been using GolfPad for years now so it's automatic for me. I don't believe that I've slowed play at all, just a quick flip on of the phone, tag the shot and it goes back in my pocket. It takes all of about 5 seconds.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I used to use GolfShot. 5 swipes and you are done. Not more than 5 seconds.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Old school scorecards and pencil for me.  So far, no one I play with uses an electronic scoring system.  A couple of the guys have the wristwatch distance devices.  Life has enough electronic intrusions already - I enjoy the hiatus from them while playing golf or fishing.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Old school scorecards and pencil for me.  So far, no one I play with uses an electronic scoring system.  A couple of the guys have the wristwatch distance devices.  Life has enough electronic intrusions already - I enjoy the hiatus from them while playing golf or fishing.

I've got $100 that says I can record and add up my scores faster with my Garmin on my wrist then you guys can do it with your pencils and paper scorecards.

In fact, I already have verifiable proof.  After every hole I have to sit in the cart and wait while the other guys in my group write down their scores on the scorecard, when I'm ready for the next hole as I've already recorded my score either on the green while they were finishing out, or on the way to the cart before I got there.

And at the end of the round, they are sitting on the side of the last green doing high level math trying to figure out how many triples and doubles they posted and adding all of that crap up.  I tell them my score as they are walking to their cart to add it all up, and I've already gone to my car, removed my shoes and put my clubs in the car before they even show up in the parking lot.  There have been some days when they are still screwing around with their paper scorecard that I've already left the parking lot and headed home.

The funniest thing to me is that they'll spend all of that time adding up their scores, only to leave the scorecard on the cart every week and never record their scores anywhere for memories sake.  Maybe they just don't care or don't want to, but why go through the trouble to keep score if you are just going to leave the scorecard, and not even record it for handicap purposes?  We certainly weren't playing for stakes or anything, so I honestly don't see the point in keeping score if you are just going to forget it 5 minutes after you left the parking lot and you'll never refer to it ever again, or have it recorded anywhere for any purpose.

Yeah, I get it.  Change is always difficult for most of us.  But as I stated above, I'm always looking for ways to not only improve the way I play the game, but also if I can find ways to speed it up so as not to become a hindrance to those I play the game with.

I've got $100 that says I can record and add up my scores faster with my Garmin on my wrist then you guys can do it with your pencils and paper scorecards.

In fact, I already have verifiable proof.  After every hole I have to sit in the cart and wait while the other guys in my group write down their scores on the scorecard, when I'm ready for the next hole as I've already recorded my score either on the green while they were finishing out, or on the way to the cart before I got there.

And at the end of the round, they are sitting on the side of the last green doing high level math trying to figure out how many triples and doubles they posted and adding all of that crap up.  I tell them my score as they are walking to their cart to add it all up, and I've already gone to my car, removed my shoes and put my clubs in the car before they even show up in the parking lot.  There have been some days when they are still screwing around with their paper scorecard that I've already left the parking lot and headed home.

The funniest thing to me is that they'll spend all of that time adding up their scores, only to leave the scorecard on the cart every week and never record their scores anywhere for memories sake.  Maybe they just don't care or don't want to, but why go through the trouble to keep score if you are just going to leave the scorecard, and not even record it for handicap purposes?  We certainly weren't playing for stakes or anything, so I honestly don't see the point in keeping score if you are just going to forget it 5 minutes after you left the parking lot and you'll never refer to it ever again, or have it recorded anywhere for any purpose.

Yeah, I get it.  Change is always difficult for most of us.  But as I stated above, I'm always looking for ways to not only improve the way I play the game, but also if I can find ways to speed it up so as not to become a hindrance to those I play the game with.

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm certainly not saying I can add up my scores quicker than any computer - like I said, you have plenty of time after a round to do this. I can certainly write a figure with a pencil quicker than you can enter data on your wrist though...I know because I've tried it.

What I am saying is, if there is any advantage to any system of recording, then you must learn or gain at least, something from it.  Anyone can input data into a computer and number crunch stats until the cows come home, but there must be a significant learning curve to it, otherwise - what's the point?

You certainly don't need stats analysis to realise "I really shouldn't be slicing my tee shots into the trees" or "I really need to hole more putts". That's obvious data that is total junk if you need a review of a scorecard to remind you of it. "57% of my 150+ yard  shots reach the green" is the kind of stat that if you really need to know it, then you must be pretty dumb.

By the same token, I can recall just about every shot from memory of a particular round without the need of a device or a scorecard. The scorecard itself is just a means of totting the score up afterwards. Do I need to write down the fairways hit or number of sand saves, greens in regulation or putts? No, because I remember those shots because historically, I HIT THEM!! 

Would writing down that info improve my game in the slightest? Absolutely not. I know if I've made a good score on a hole or not - I don't need a device to tell me the freaking obvious.

What I did say is that if you wish to improve your game, you need to be making the correct choices before you make a shot, not historically looking a stat after you've made a shot. No stat ever made a good shot happen - period.

Lastly, I'm in no hurry after a round to change my shoes in the car park and leave to go home and charge my device - pencils and scorecards are environmentally sound and no batteries are required. I believe I can get more feedback from a round by chatting to my playing partners over a couple of beers afterwards - heck I could even learn something that could help improve my scoring too. 

I think you misunderstood my original post. I'm certainly not saying I can add up my scores quicker than any computer - like I said, you have plenty of time after a round to do this. I can certainly write a figure with a pencil quicker than you can enter data on your wrist though...I know because I've tried it.

What I am saying is, if there is any advantage to any system of recording, then you must learn or gain at least, something from it.  Anyone can input data into a computer and number crunch stats until the cows come home, but there must be a significant learning curve to it, otherwise - what's the point?

You certainly don't need stats analysis to realise "I really shouldn't be slicing my tee shots into the trees" or "I really need to hole more putts". That's obvious data that is total junk if you need a review of a scorecard to remind you of it. "57% of my 150+ yard  shots reach the green" is the kind of stat that if you really need to know it, then you must be pretty dumb.

By the same token, I can recall just about every shot from memory of a particular round without the need of a device or a scorecard. The scorecard itself is just a means of totting the score up afterwards. Do I need to write down the fairways hit or number of sand saves, greens in regulation or putts? No, because I remember those shots because historically, I HIT THEM!! 

Would writing down that info improve my game in the slightest? Absolutely not. I know if I've made a good score on a hole or not - I don't need a device to tell me the freaking obvious.

What I did say is that if you wish to improve your game, you need to be making the correct choices before you make a shot, not historically looking a stat after you've made a shot. No stat ever made a good shot happen - period.

Lastly, I'm in no hurry after a round to change my shoes in the car park and leave to go home and charge my device - pencils and scorecards are environmentally sound and no batteries are required. I believe I can get more feedback from a round by chatting to my playing partners over a couple of beers afterwards - heck I could even learn something that could help improve my scoring too. 

The Garmin on my wrist watch tracks shot distance.  It provides an accurate reflection of how far I hit each club, versus what I assumed I was hitting it.  And after many rounds using this sort of shot tracking analysis you discover trends in your game that I otherwise would have never picked up based on my memory.  Hell, I can't even remember what I ate for lunch 2 days ago, let alone what I did on the golf course two weeks ago.  My Garmin when synched to a computer or iPhone gives me a running history of my game, and trends, etc.  This information is valuable to me, and has helped me with course management.  Gee, I keep hitting my tee shot on this hole in the same spot every round and with the same club.  And I keep walking off of that hole with bogey because I think I hit that club a certain distance when I obviously don't.  Just an example, but I've found myself analyzing the data that Garmin gives me to help me with my course management skills.  I've changed club selection on specific holes and shots, based on the data the Garmin has shown me.

Maybe your memory is a lot better than mine then, and to that I congratulate you.  But I've got months of stats on my Garmin that tell me my % of fairways hit, and % of GIR over a long period of time.  Sure, maybe I can reflect on a single round as to how many fairways and greens I hit, but over a month, or many months?  I'm a numbers guy by birth anyway, so for me I love the crunch them and to see the trends in my game, at least beyond where my handicap index was 3 months ago, as opposed to now.

The main thing for me with the Garmin though honestly, was the GPS and instant yardage from wherever I am standing on the course.  You can't glean that from a scorecard, and as I mentioned previously, I've tried all sorts of other options, from the phone app, to the laser range finder (which I will still use, depending on the situation).  I just find that the Garmin on my wrist saves a ton of time in getting accurate yardage, versus other methods.  Granted, I know we weren't discussing this in this thread, and just scoring, so I digress.  But it is an additional tool that the Garmin brings to my game that has made things for me more convenient, quicker, and reliable.  The distance and the score on the wrist is just simply the quickest and best way I've found to play a round of golf.

It's funny you closed with the environmental aspect of things.  Last I checked they were asking us to recycle paper and things like that.  I suppose it'll eventually require a new battery on the Garmin, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.  This part of the argument seems superfluous to me.

Honestly, all of this is just boredom talk.  None of this really amounts to much if anything with regards to anything worth having a serious conversation over.  We all use whatever we are comfortable with and what we like the best.  If you want to write down your score on the back of your partner's leg, then by all means, have at it.   :o  ;)  :D

I let Arccos keep score for me. I check it on the next tee box to confirm it had all the shots and add on any gimme putts.

I also as part of what I consider to be  playing ready golf, while waiting for others to hit I check the yardage on my phone and make sure that no shots on the current hole have been missed. 

I had an Izzo 5000 that also keeps score but has to be entered manually, that I did find to be slow so I stopped using it for that once I got the Arccos sensors on.

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

Our Saturday group posts live scoring through an app, you can see the leaderboard as you play, it doesn't take that long to do.

What app do you use? I like that idea.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

It's acually a software program that the MGA pays for. It sure of the cost, it allows us to sign up directly into a group and time. And then on Golf day, someone in the group posts the scores for all 4 in the group. It's preett cool. It's called

Tm.golfsoftware.net

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I used to occasionally play as a fourth with Peter, Mike, and Pio--three guys with whom I used to work, all now retired. (Actually, Mike has now left us.)

They never kept score...ever.  It was strictly about fresh air, a little bit of exercise, and socializing with them.  They were even less accomplished players than I, for the most part, but they really enjoyed that occasional great shot. Who doesn't?

They didn't even keep score at the bar, afterward.

I could really enjoy that way of playing once in a while.

As someone who uses a phone app, I simply find it easier. It's one or two screen touches while people are teeing off on the next hole. To each their own, this works for me.

Pace of play will always be an issue, and people playing slowly will find new and creative ways to dilly dally. I don't think it's a specific action, but their mindset and lack of awareness or caring. If it's not their phone app for shot stats it's filming every shot, or texting friends instead of hitting, or looking for extra lost balls, or a three course meal of breakfast balls... etc.

What I did say is that if you wish to improve your game, you need to be making the correct choices before you make a shot, not historically looking a stat after you've made a shot. No stat ever made a good shot happen - period.

There isn't a sport in the world where people don't review their previous performances for areas/how to improve. You say you remember all your shots so you don't need to record them - super, that's your system and you can self review on the fly. I'm jealous you can remember all that, I certainly can't. Using stats on the app I get access to information I'd otherwise forget and can keep it fresh heading into the my pre-shot choices. Maybe I'm just feeding into my own need to have numbers and data to confirm just about everything, I don't see why that should bother anyone else.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Maybe I'm just feeding into my own need to have numbers and data to confirm just about everything, I don't see why that should bother anyone else.

No, it's not.  For me, I live for numbers, so the more the merrier.  It's one of the reasons why when the USGA changed the posting for handicap purposes from any round to having to have someone else play with you that I now go out of my way to look for someone to play a round of golf with.  Maybe I am the only one who looks at golf this way, but I like the fact that every round I play gets posted to handicap and that I have something to look at going forward and to be able to see some of my older scores and compare them to where I am now.

It's not just about my round or score either, as I'll sit and watch Golf Channel for several hours while they recap scores of the day, and then they give statistic after statistic, and records, and other numbers in comparison to history, and I just absolutely absorb it all.  Most people that I know couldn't give two farts about who did what when, and everyone has a different motivation for doing what they do, but for me golf is more about the numbers than anything else.

What can I say.  I work on a computer all day long using spreadsheets with endless numbers, and I am the defacto statistician and record keeper for my Tuesday golf league.  I track the points and scores for everyone in the league, and post records, averages and all sorts of other numbers for people to look over.

• 5 weeks later...

I will simply add to this topic by sharing my experience with an FSGA Fourball tournament this past weekend.  36 holes over two days for this event as a reference point.  Tee times on Saturday, split tee foursomes - two, two-man teams per foursome on each hole and tee time.  All golfers involved were either single digit or scratch or better, so you are dealing with (in some cases) "professional" amateurs who play in these type of events all the time.  For reference purposes, this was my first time trying an event like this, and with a current 6.2 index, me and my buddy brought up the rear, finishing T40 in a 42 team field.

The title of this topic absolutely applies to this event, because the FSGA (Florida State Golf Association) uses the Golf Genius app, and asks that one member of each foursome use the app to record scores as you play.  For the sake of this post, I will say that I was responsible for posting the scores for our foursome on both days, as I have my iphone handy just for the purposes of this app in this tournament, and otherwise I leave my iphone on silent in my golf bag and never touched during the round.  The Golf Genius app is extremely easy to install, setup and use.  The FSGA gave us a unique code for our foursome, and you punch in the code, and the app pops up with your group.  You select your name, and it shows the first hole, and asks you to simply post a score for each player for that hole.  My standard method was to pull the app out while we were finishing putting on the green, and as soon as each player finished out I would post the score to the app and save it once all four scores are posted.  If I was last to putt, I would pull the app out after I finished, and post the scores while walking to the cart.  This method neither slowed us down, nor hindered our foursome from maintaining pace of play in this tournament.  Also, by each group having their scores posted during the round you are able to look at the leaderboard and see where you stand during the round as it compares to the field.  Very convenient for the competitors that want to know where they stand.

As for pace of play, the FSGA had signs on every hole, and marshalls always monitoring each group to determine our pace of play.  At the turn there was a marshall with a watch and a clip board, and each group's time was written down as they completed the 9th hole.  Their policy was pretty simple.  There would be no warnings during the round, and if you were behind the expected pace of play, the offending slow group would be assessed a 1 stroke penalty.  And if you were the group behind the slow group, and you were within 10 minutes of the slow group in front of you, you were fine with pace of play.

I saw this policy work fabulously on Saturday, as we were the 2nd group off of #1, and had to wait a bit on almost every shot on the front nine for the group in front of us, who were first off.  But I don't know what was said on #9 green by the FSGA to this group, but by the time we got to 10 tee the group in front of us was gone, and already putting out on #10, and we never saw them the rest of the day.  We finished our round in 4 hours and 11 minutes.  Sunday was a shotgun start, and we were never delayed the entire round, and finished in 4 hours and 7 minutes.

So to all the naysayers that say there is nothing you can do about pace of play, I would strongly disagree, as the FSGA has a great system in place for their tournaments, and it absolutely does work.  And being new to this I really had no clue how it works, but the veterans that we played with were all very aware of their pace of play throughout the round, because apparently the FSGA doesn't hesitate to issue penalty strokes in their events.

What a great system they have in place, and what a great tournament to take part in.  It's great knowing that when you tee off at 8:00 am, that you will be done just after noon, and that you don't have to guess on how long it will take to complete a round of golf.

rant over

Embrace the people who are delaying the game because they are using an app that will hopefully help them play better in the future, BECAUSE these people are going to take too long to do everything.

These apps are designed with ease of use and quickness in mind. Early on they may have been cumbersome and time consuming but not now.

If it were not the scorecard, it would be the club selection, or the distance to the hole or taking a meteorological report or something else that will waste time. Hopefully, they will study those stats and reduce their score and eventually save one stroke that will ultimately reduce the number of times they can dicker around and waste time next round.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

It takes me 10 seconds to record my score, putts, FIR, and penalties in the app that I use. I do it with my bag slung over my shoulder on the way to the next hole.

Someone who's inconsiderate and inputting their score while standing on the green would be doing the same if they had a scorecard in their pocket.

It's not the tech, it's the person.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

It takes me 10 seconds to record my score, putts, FIR, and penalties in the app that I use. I do it with my bag slung over my shoulder on the way to the next hole.

Someone who's inconsiderate and inputting their score while standing on the green would be doing the same if they had a scorecard in their pocket.

It's not the tech, it's the person.

I use a scoring and gambling/bets app called Strokes. (Android only) I can enter scores in about 2 seconds after a hole. Strokes isn't an app for keeping stats or being "social". It's not a GPS app either. It's only for keeping score and the associated bets you've setup for the round. Before you start your round you select the players, select a bet or bets.... and keep score. After the round a push of a button and bets are resolved. Easy peasy. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

As a technophobic luddite, I never used any of that stuff other than GPS towards the end.

Concern over slow play had nothing to do it.

The Dukes were never in a hurry.  I'm sure that the remaining ones are still not.

It just seems like work, and I would have never required having that much data on myself.

It's not like my game was going to start getting better. The trend in the opposite direction was well established.

CyberMetrics can't, unfortunately, reverse physiology

But from the perspective of being younger and having aspirations to improve, how does the data help?

Archived