Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Evnroll ER3 vs Directed Force

Wesquire

Overall I'm a pretty good putter. However, I've been really struggling with lag putts recently...and like most golfers I figured I'd throw some money at the problem instead of practice. So I decided to sell my Directed Force and buy the new hotness Evnroll. The Evnroll arrived today and I spent about an hour practicing with it. After that I went to my club's practice green to give them a comparison before I let the Directed Force go.

The Evnroll is milled out of 303 stainless steel. This steel is nearly ubiquitous among boutique putter companies. I've never gamed a milled 303 putter. The grip is a winn 1.8 grip with some counter balancing. The main attraction is the groove technology that negates most of the downsides of a mishit.

The Directed Force is forged from 6061 aluminum. The grip is proprietary and has forward press built in. The main attraction is the lie angle balancing. This means that if the putter is swung on its lie angle the face will stay square to path with zero torque. This translates to a putter that is much easier to deliver square contact with.

Impressions from the Evnroll are that it is a no-brainer for anyone that prefers a traditional type of putter with added tech. I'm a big fan of the quality, finish, design, hand feel, and look at address. The weight felt perfect. 9s or 10s across the board except for impact feel and sound. The feel and sound weren't bad, but I wouldnt consider this putter as having a plush feel or sound. Mentally, the super low loft (2*) on the Evroll affected me. I was uncomfortable with any forward press and felt it needed to be further forward in my stance than I prefer.

The Directed Force is essentially the exact opposite. It is not traditional at all. I'm not a big fan of the quality, finish, hand feel, or look at address. In hand, the putter feels awkward and clunky. The appearance and finishes do not seem premium. It has a much more industrial vibe. However, the impact feel is excellent. Quite a bit softer than the Evnroll. The sound varies greatly on how hard you hit it and if it was in the sweet spot. It ranges from great to mediocre.

Performance:

Keep in mind that the Directed Force putter has been my gamer for a few months. That said, performance FOR ME was not very close. It is just effortless to start a ball on the right line with the Directed Force. Anything within 15 yards I had a huge advantage with the Directed Force. Outside of 20 yards, the Evnroll matched or bettered the distance control of the Directed Force.

Obviously, this is just my experience...but it was conclusive enough that I've already initiated the return on the Evnroll. I was really hoping it would be my new putter as I greatly prefer the look. Great putter, just cant knock the DF out of my bag.

Here's some pics if you are interested:

https://imgur.com/gallery/WL8MwFp

Great write up and comparison. I have never heard of DF and will have to check them out.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I like the design/science behind the directed force putter in terms of lie angle balance. I always respect new ideas.

It seems that the design would lower the MOI of the putter head though. Do you notice a big hit with off-center putts on the directed force?

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

I like the design/science behind the directed force putter in terms of lie angle balance. I always respect new ideas.

It seems that the design would lower the MOI of the putter head though. Do you notice a big hit with off-center putts on the directed force?

Why would it lower MOI? I've noticed the opposite. Mishits hardly affect it at all. It performs almost identically to the ping grooves for me. Essentially no distance loss, just a little offline.

When you move the shaft insertion back from the face you can lower the MOI.

The USGA ruined Bryson Dechambeau's side-saddle putting style because they said he could use it as long as the putter shaft inserted into the back of the putter head. In my opinion, this allowed the USGA to ban the side-saddle style without actually banning it, since forcing the shaft to insert at the back the putter head meant it was "pushing" the COG through the ball instead of "pulling". This ultimately lowers MOI - like pushing a wagon by the handle versus pulling - i jack knifes. 

I have no doubt that the odd shape of the DF is due to increasing the MOI due to the putter shaft inserting into the COG of the putter head. (I would assume the only reason it is lie angle balanced is because the shaft inserts into the COG).

Sounds like it is working for you and I would love to try one!

Can I ask a question?

Were you fitted for the Evnroll, or did you just pick it?

If you just picked it, why the ER3 as a winged blade if you're used to a mallet shape and why a putter with some toe-hang if you're used to face-balanced?

I think putting is such an individual thing that what works for one person might not for another, but I'd just be interested in how you wound up with an ER3 of the Evnroll range as I would, essentially, expect a settling in period before you could even begin to expect it to be as consistent for you as it requires a change to your stroke...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

When you move the shaft insertion back from the face you can lower the MOI.

The USGA ruined Bryson Dechambeau's side-saddle putting style because they said he could use it as long as the putter shaft inserted into the back of the putter head. In my opinion, this allowed the USGA to ban the side-saddle style without actually banning it, since forcing the shaft to insert at the back the putter head meant it was "pushing" the COG through the ball instead of "pulling". This ultimately lowers MOI - like pushing a wagon by the handle versus pulling - i jack knifes.

I have no doubt that the odd shape of the DF is due to increasing the MOI due to the putter shaft inserting into the COG of the putter head. (I would assume the only reason it is lie angle balanced is because the shaft inserts into the COG).

Sounds like it is working for you and I would love to try one!

Hmm. I dont know enough about that to say with confidence, but I dont think the wagon example is due to MOI. And the shaft has 1.5* of lean built into it, meaning your hands arent as far behind the face as youd think. MOI is increased when weight is further from the CoG, right? So the location of the shaft doesn't make that much difference.

The point of MOI is to reduce twisting, right? And the location of the shaft could affect how the club twists, but it wouldn't technically be MOI AFAIK. If the shaft is in the heel like most putters, it would have a mechanical advantage (long vs short lever) to avoid twisting on heel hits...but itd be at a disadvantage on toe hits. I would imagine that being lie balanced with a center shaft location means the mishits are more even from toe to heel.

Can I ask a question?

Were you fitted for the Evnroll, or did you just pick it?

If you just picked it, why the ER3 as a winged blade if you're used to a mallet shape and why a putter with some toe-hang if you're used to face-balanced?

I think putting is such an individual thing that what works for one person might not for another, but I'd just be interested in how you wound up with an ER3 of the Evnroll range as I would, essentially, expect a settling in period before you could even begin to expect it to be as consistent for you as it requires a change to your stroke...

I was not fit for it. This is far from a perfect test. However, I did get similar specs to what I played when I gamed a B60 shaped putter. The winged blade was a comfortable shape for me. The DF is not face-balanced. 

Hmm. I dont know enough about that to say with confidence, but I dont think the wagon example is due to MOI. And the shaft has 1.5* of lean built into it, meaning your hands arent as far behind the face as youd think. MOI is increased when weight is further from the CoG, right? So the location of the shaft doesn't make that much difference.

The point of MOI is to reduce twisting, right? And the location of the shaft could affect how the club twists, but it wouldn't technically be MOI AFAIK. If the shaft is in the heel like most putters, it would have a mechanical advantage (long vs short lever) to avoid twisting on heel hits...but itd be at a disadvantage on toe hits. I would imagine that being lie balanced with a center shaft location means the mishits are more even from toe to heel.

Yeah, I think you are probably right. I have read a bunch of things that say MOI/mishits are not an issue with DF.

Were you fit for the DF. The lie angle balancing is pretty specific to you from what I understand.

Yeah, I think you are probably right. I have read a bunch of things that say MOI/mishits are not an issue with DF.

Were you fit for the DF. The lie angle balancing is pretty specific to you from what I understand.

It depends. You can always adjust to the lie angle of the club. Standard lie angles fit me on putters, so I didnt get fit.

How did I miss this thread before?

I love it.

The Directed Force looks like the love child of a Dandy Tour Blade and a Frankly Frog.

How can it be anything but the best thing since Bobby's Grand Slam Calamity Jane?

If I can at least make it back to the pitch and putt course, I'll still need a putter.

Thanks, Wesquire.

It's something to think about.

That's close to a remarkable looking putter...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

That's close to a remarkable looking putter...

Odd looking indeed! Especially for a $425 putter. Must have something to do with inserting the shaft directly into the CoG.

I have to say DF's video with the "revealer" is pretty compelling.

https://www.directedforce.com/Articles.asp?ID=256

I don't know if it matters, but it makes me want to try it. MGS should test!

• 3 weeks later...

Love my DF putter. I would love to be able to kick it out of the bag and use a beautiful putter; however, none of the beautiful putters work like my ugly duckling. I have tried to replace it over the past two years.....but I think it is a permanent gamer. So easy to start it on the correct line.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

• 3 months later...

If it works it’s a beautiful thing.

my er3 is a beautiful thing. And it took a few months of “not great” putting to finally become “one” with it. Now it’s become amazing.

it could all just be in your head because you “think” it’s your bestie. Maybe making a commitment to the evnroll would make it work. Hard to say...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 12/12/2018 at 4:01 AM, Sluggo42 said:

If it works it’s a beautiful thing.

my er3 is a beautiful thing. And it took a few months of “not great” putting to finally become “one” with it. Now it’s become amazing.

it could all just be in your head because you “think” it’s your bestie. Maybe making a commitment to the evnroll would make it work. Hard to say...

Putting, being the most demanding part of the game, is all about the commitment. You can be good, but never truly great at putting without having a very solid relationship with your putter. Close is good enough with every other club in your bag...

I would also wager that for the vast majority of amateur golfers, the balance of time spent practicing with a putter in hand compared to all of your other clubs is way off...

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

Archived