Our Sponsors

I know I'm a terrible person to answer this because the only shafts that I've ever been fitted to were for my irons... and I got fitted into the S400's, which are not what I ended up with. If I had the money, I would definitely get a full bag fitting because I know how important it is. Right now though, putting money into actually playing golf is more important than putting money into my equipment.

Bag Makeup:

Grips: Pure Pro Midsize

Driver: Ping G25 - Ping TFC-800d Stiff

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel 15* - Aldila VooDoo SVS6

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP 20* - Aldila Rip 85 X

Iron Set: Ping S56 Red Dot (4-PW) - TrueTemper S300 Standard Length

Wedges: 52.08 Mizuno MP-R12, 56.13 and 60.10 Callaway PM Grind - KBS Tour V

Putter: 33" Ping Anser Milled 5 - Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol

Interesting thread here. I've played the DG S300's in two different sets of irons. And the S200's in some wedges, and KBS Tour and Tour V's in some wedges.

The KBS' are both high launch for me, moon balls. Hard to flight them, it can be done but my clubs design and the shaft combo just want to go high, and I hate it. I lose a ton of distance with the KBS tours.

The S300's were a low mid flight for me, and from what I remember I could actually feel the clubhead. The KBS' have no feel for me.

Same goes for the S200's, in the cobra wedges I had I couldn't tell where the club was, or have any feel it was like swinging a piece of oak.

The XW-1 wedges I'm testing have the DG Spinner, so you'll have to wait till that thread goes live to hear my thoughts on those. Spoiler.... ah never mind you guys can wait.

But I am planning on giving the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer a go to see what it says the next time I'm in civilization.

I may order a DG Tour issue 6 iron shaft and have it put in my 8 iron to see what kind of flight and dispersion I get. Should soften it up enough for some feel yet keep the lower ball flight. What would I have to lose? Maybe I'll just order a new 6 iron with a 2x soft stepped x100 to make it easier.

• Like 1

I know I'm a terrible person to answer this because the only shafts that I've ever been fitted to were for my irons... and I got fitted into the S400's, which are not what I ended up with. If I had the money, I would definitely get a full bag fitting because I know how important it is. Right now though, putting money into actually playing golf is more important than putting money into my equipment.

...And you are a 1.7 handicap without being fitted. Interesting. I can't possibly be the only guy here wondering just how important getting fit really is..... even though I would like to do it.

• Like 2

...And you are a 1.7 handicap without being fitted. Interesting. I can't possibly be the only guy here wondering just how important getting fit really is..... even though I would like to do it.

Well, my iron shafts are super close to what would fit me best, so I still feel very comfortable with them (especially with the scoring clubs). But with them being a little soft, my timing on my long irons can get off occasionally. And on my woods, my shafts just promote a little higher launch and spin than I would prefer, so I might be losing a couple yards, but it's easily playable on courses that are less than 6500 yds. I know I'm playing equipment that is at least close to what I would fit into, so I make it work. Everyone can benefit from proper fitting golf clubs, but it's really important for people who have no idea what their numbers are/ should be throughout the bag.
  • Like 1

Bag Makeup:

Grips: Pure Pro Midsize

Driver: Ping G25 - Ping TFC-800d Stiff

Fairway: Taylormade V-Steel 15* - Aldila VooDoo SVS6

Hybrid: Taylormade Rescue TP 20* - Aldila Rip 85 X

Iron Set: Ping S56 Red Dot (4-PW) - TrueTemper S300 Standard Length

Wedges: 52.08 Mizuno MP-R12, 56.13 and 60.10 Callaway PM Grind - KBS Tour V

Putter: 33" Ping Anser Milled 5 - Golf Pride Tour SNSR 104 Pistol

With irons I've typically stuck with the KBS Tour after I was fit for it about 8 years ago. I was recently fit into the C-Taper but just prefer the feel of the Tour. I will probably do a more comprehensive fitting when my current set wears out to see if I can improve my numbers at all.

Woods are a different story. I used to always buy used woods because it was all I had the budget for so I'd end up self fitting with very limited options. More than a few times my self fitting didn't go so well on course so I've been doing whatever the fitter tells me on driver shafts for a while.

My only issue with shaft fittings so far has been fitters hesitancy to have me try anything other than a stock option. I'll happily pay the upcharge if a more premium shaft option will give me better results. Maybe the stock offering really is better for me in some cases, but let me at least hit the thing to find out.

I agree very much with the importance of shafts which is why buying used clubs isn't a bargain for me. 

Setup makes them as expensive as new clubs ordered to my specs. 

And I'm not even a particularly good player.

I just have to quiet down the equipment concerns in my head before I can even play at my own level.  You've probably ascertained that from reading my posts.

If I buy new or used numbered irons, for example,  then the wedges or driving iron that I use with them must be shafted and gripped to match.  Our pro loved that quirk in my head. A little extra workshop income for him.

It's probably stupid, but then no one (with the possible exception of my maternal grandmother) has ever accused me of being smart. And she had good things to say about everybody she ever met--even more so after you praised her pasta sauce which you definitely would.

One really big problem has been clubs with oddball shafts.

Shaft-over-hosel models were popular in the 70s, but those club heads are pretty useless now.  Same with Wilson's "fat shaft" later on.

The one that bugs me the most, however, was the .400 tip Fenwick shafts on the Top Fflite Intimidator 400 fairway woods. 

Spalding was for decades a major player in golf equipment, and one of their very last great designs, the Intimidator 400 fairway wood, suffered from that shaft choice. 

Lee Trevino himself was highly involved with the design of that club head.  I've got two of them, a 21º 5-wood and a 25º 7-wood, and either of them will launch the ball from virtually any lie. 

That sounds like hyperbole, but I'm serious.  I just can't make them match a stronger metalwood in my set because of those stupid shafts from a fishing pole company. 

If I were still playing golf, or if I get to play again, then the UST Recoil 95 would probably take over from the Aldila NV Pro 105 as my iron, wedge, and driving iron shaft.  Only because Aldila discontinued that really great iron shaft.

A substitute for the Penley Graphite Light wood shaft, on the other hand, has yet to be discovered from this decrepit linkster. 

I am new to golf and went to a free fitting at the local club and was told that with my current swing speed to start with a senior flex (I am 52) but be prepared to change as I improve

New golf addict, high handicap but improving weekly. Play 2 times a week and go to the range 2 times a week. Average round is down to 108. Used taylormade irons, Dunlap driver, cheap Ray cook putter. Starting to realize that equipment and balls are starting to make a difference.

I forgot to add, my new (to me, but lightly used) irons were not fit to me, but were expensively fit to their previous owner.

I'm not a shaft guy, and have never been “fit”for shafts, other than the guys at whatever golf store Telling me I need “stiff” shafts.

My driver was fit though by mapping about 10 shots with about 6 different shafts.

And it's been a beast since birth but I digress...

As I said my irons weren't fit to me, but, they're a great fit, purely by luck.

They are the Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw's

Now what's interesting about these irons is that they are a full matching set.

When I say full, I mean 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW, W, 54°,58°

That's 10 irons with all the same matching shaft, and they're all gapped accordingly too.

So it just happens by the grace of God that they're perfect for me , and I get a lot of comments from my friends about the ball flight looking so “majestic” and blah blah blah....

But no irons in my past have ever flown so well nor been so effortless to swing and hit.

So yes I was very Lucky to acquire these clubs with these shafts.

But it's clearly obvious that the shafts are a HUGE part of these magical stix. My hdcp has dropped significantly since I got these, as well as getting my fitted driver.

Final analysis :

Shafts are the engine that drives the car. If you're super serious about getting your scores down, and have some serious bank (because I'm guessing my irons cost the original buyer quite the pretty penny), then I would wade into the fitting pool.

And while you're at it, do the same rundown on iron heads. Because there is another rabbit hole to go down!

Gitter done!

• Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

• 3 weeks later...

I have been 'fitted' for driver shafts several times over the last number of years. It wasn't until last year that I got an iron shaft fitting from a high quality fitter. What a difference it made. I went from DGS300s for almost all of my golfing career to the KBS Tour V 110 Stiffs. Ball flight now hits the windows I want and I can feel the club head better than ever.

• Like 1

I too just recently completed an iron fitting (LM data shared in my Former Ping Eye 2 Players thread). My PE2's have the factory Ping ZZ-lite regular flex shafts and the ones I was fitted with are the Project X 5.5.  He is also recommending changing to standard vs. the +1/2 length. I also had a less detailed fitting at a Ping demo in Yuma, and he likewise recommended that shaft on the G400 irons.  I forgot to ask them how the Project X 5.5 compares to the factory ZZ-lite - anyone know? 

Found info on descriptions, and that X100, Z-Z65, and DG are similar, but not direct comparison to PX.

http://community.pinggolf.com/community/index.cfm?page=knowledge_display&knowledge_id=431

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

Interesting thread I have tried the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer twice first time it spit out Modus Regular shaft and I think XP regular after hitting it looked like XP95 Stiff was better. My most recent indoor shaft optimizer showed best option as True Temper X100 shaft to be best followed by Project X xtra stiff....I have never played x stiff weird.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I am a 'feel' player as opposed to what the numbers say- to a certain extent - I tried various shafts and none of the Mizuno optimizer recommendations felt right. The numbers were good,

but so were the numbers on shafts that I just liked how they interacted with my swing.

S300's felt like scaffolding poles but Nippon's felt 'alive' if that makes sense.

I also decided to get KBS Tours in REGULAR for my wedges, contrary to opinion and what ALL fitters have told me. But I dont swing a wedge hard so REG suits me.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"