Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Garmin X40 vs NX7 Pro Rangefinder

I purchased a Garmin Approach watch a couple of years ago and had recently been considering whether to keep what I had or switch to a laser rangefinder.  Yes, I'm a sucker for electronic gadgets!

But when Costco had the new Garmin X40 for about $50 off the regular selling price, I jumped at it.  What appealed to me most was the ability to upload my round to an app that would show a graphic of each hole, where I hit my shot, along with my choice of club and distance.

After the watch 'knows' when you've hit a shot, it asks you to input the club you used (for convenience, it suggests the club based upon your prior input).

But... it IS a lot of fiddling around.  And sometimes I'll forget to input information after each shot.  You do have the option, afterwards, to input the information post-round.

All that being said, I then broke down during Amazon Prime days and purchased the NX7 Pro Rangefinder as well.  And I've got to say that I find myself relying on the rangefinder more than the watch.  I know I'm getting a precise reading rather than an estimate.  And, unless I'm taking a reading to an obstacle, my only need to know distances as on my approach shot.

So, usually what I do now is to turn on my watch.  Refer to it occasionally for general distances.  But, if I had to use just one of the two for my round, it would be the rangefinder, hands down.

Both are good products.  If you don't mind fidgeting a bit in between shots, it's kind of fun to review your entire round in your leisure.  But, the less time-consuming and more accurate is the Rangefinder.  And I think that the NX7 Pro is a great product and a reasonable cost.

Anyone have a similar experience??

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

I use a Garmin Approach S20 as well as a laser from time to time. In a casual round I'll just use my Garmin on my wrist, mostly because having to pull out the laser every time I want a number is too time consuming for me when I already have a number on my wrist that's close enough for me to pick a club from.

In tournaments I'll pull out the laser for most approach yardages, just so I am getting perfect yardage. And in most tournaments I have plenty of time waiting on others to have time to get a number with the laser. Not so much in my casual rounds where I just hit it and go.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I have no experience with the Garmin, but am currently testing the NX7 Pro. It's pretty awesome and is worth the money I would have spent on it. However, I hadn't even heard of it and was about to spend money on something else. More money. And I don't believe it would have been worth it. The NX7 Pro does everything I need it to and was much less money.

Overall, I didn't think a LRF was better than a GPS. I was wrong.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I've posted elsewhere before in similar type topics. I use both a Laser RF and a GPS. I'm not all that impressed with either product I have. My LRF is a MG Golf model they've since discontinued. It's an OK LRF but not very powerful or sensitive I've determined. For instance; it is hard to get a shot on a pin that doesn't have reflectors. (like this weekend at the City Championship) This particular LFR wasn't expensive and I took a chance on it. Like I said... it's an okay LRF but not a great one. I'll buy a Bushnell or perhaps an NX7 when this one craps out.

My GPS is a little Garmin Approach G10. It's provides basic F,M,B numbers device and that's all I wanted anyway. I purchased it after my Skycaddie quit. Again... it's ok. My SC was actually very accurate for F.M,B numbers. Not so much with the Approach G10. I have for years enjoyed the two factor authentication of using both a GPS and a LFR.

Sometimes products are "as good as" and sometimes they are not. I took a chance. In my situation I'll buy both a higher quality GPS and LFR probably this next spring. I'm tired of messing around with just OK.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I am also testing the NX7.

I've never been a rangefinder or GPS guy and despite the great advantage it offers, I trust my gut with my yardages and the markers on the ground.

If you want honest feedback on the NX7, I will say it does everything that it's supposed to do. It is remarkably consistent and offers a great advantage in the Pro series with slope. Will I keep it, probably. Will I rely on it heavily throughout a round, probably not.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I use a rangefinder. I initially had a Bushnell then went to Leupold. I love the rangefinder. it is so quick. and i have no problem with it catching the flagstick. For me,the best part is the scanning feature. For example,if I'm hitting over a laterally located lake from the teebox,I'll scan it to see at what point i need to aim for to ensure i can clear it. Not sure if GPS watch can do this? I used rangefinders before GPS came out for golf and still prefer it. Just my preference.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

I've posted elsewhere before in similar type topics. I use both a Laser RF and a GPS. I'm not all that impressed with either product I have. My LRF is a MG Golf model they've since discontinued. It's an OK LRF but not very powerful or sensitive I've determined. For instance; it is hard to get a shot on a pin that doesn't have reflectors. (like this weekend at the City Championship) This particular LFR wasn't expensive and I took a chance on it. Like I said... it's an okay LRF but not a great one. I'll buy a Bushnell or perhaps an NX7 when this one craps out.

My GPS is a little Garmin Approach G10. It's provides basic F,M,B numbers device and that's all I wanted anyway. I purchased it after my Skycaddie quit. Again... it's ok. My SC was actually very accurate for F.M,B numbers. Not so much with the Approach G10. I have for years enjoyed the two factor authentication of using both a GPS and a LFR.

Sometimes products are "as good as" and sometimes they are not. I took a chance. In my situation I'll buy both a higher quality GPS and LFR probably this next spring. I'm tired of messing around with just OK.

Plaidjacket, have you tried Leupold? they are so quick and will pick up a flag regardless if it has a reflector or not. One thing I learned that I was doing wrong was that after I located the pin through the viewfinder,I kept the button pressed which made it start to hunt. I learned to let go the button as soon as it was in the crosshairs and it has worked flawlessly since.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Plaidjacket, have you tried Leupold? they are so quick and will pick up a flag regardless if it has a reflector or not. One thing I learned that I was doing wrong was that after I located the pin through the viewfinder,I kept the button pressed which made it start to hunt. I learned to let go the button as soon as it was in the crosshairs and it has worked flawlessly since.

No I haven't tried that brand. The one thing I doubt my el cheapo RF has is that heat seeking ability like more expensive models. I'll try it next round and see but I don't have much hope.

Thanks

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Archived