TESTERS WANTED! ×

GPS app for Apple Watch

I'm sure there is a thread in here somewhere about this, but I couldn't find what is was looking for. I recently got an Apple Watch series 3, I am looking to download a gps app for it.

What is the best one to use?

Or is it better to just buy a golf GPS watch like a garmin S20 or something like that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I know this has been discussed before but also interested in some feedback. Would be nice to get some updated suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M2 D-Type, 9.5 degrees, (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

3/4W -  :cobra-small: King F6 Black 3-4 Wood (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4H -  :callaway-small: Rogue (Stiff flex) (Stock grip) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grip)

4-AW -  :callaway-small: Steelhead XR Irons (Stiff flex) (Golf Pride MCC +4 grips, 7i with Winn Dri-Tac X Grip) 

SW -  :callaway-small: 56* X-Wedge

60* -  :callaway-small: MD4 Wedge

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX #7

Bag -  :callaway-small: ORG 14 cart bag

I went with a separate Garmin S20.  I tried 18 birdies.  It was great.  The problem is that if you are using the Apple Watch as the GPS (rather than your phone - you turn the bluetooth off for this to be the case), then the Apple Watch will run out of power after 9 holes.  Good for chit.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

I have the Apple Watch 3.  Been using it all year with The Grint app for GPS.  I think it's fine for someone of my skill level (11-13 hdcp).  The distance isn't exact when compared to a rangefinder but I still find it accurate enough to choose the right club.  Since I often find myself in situations without clear line of sight to the flag, I prefer the gPS on the watch over a rangefinder anyway. So far I've been happy with the combination of Apple Watch and the Grint app.  I've never had an issue running out of battery for a round.

I don't own an apple watch, but the Golfshot app looks to be your best bet on the course. It's got a pretty high rating on the Apple app store. 

Here's a walk-through:

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

I have the Apple Watch 3.  Been using it all year with The Grint app for GPS.  I think it's fine for someone of my skill level (11-13 hdcp).  The distance isn't exact when compared to a rangefinder but I still find it accurate enough to choose the right club.  Since I often find myself in situations without clear line of sight to the flag, I prefer the gPS on the watch over a rangefinder anyway. So far I've been happy with the combination of Apple Watch and the Grint app.  I've never had an issue running out of battery for a round.

Are you using the watch's GPS or the phone's?

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
Axis1 Rose putter

I used Golfshot when I had a Apple Watch. Worked well. I still use it on my phone when I play.

Ping G400 MAX 9*, Ping G 3 Wood, TM Aeroburner 4 Hybrid, 4- PW Ping I200, Vokey SM6  50, 54, 58, Cameron & Crown M2 Mallet.

I use both. When I walk I use the phone when I'm in a cart I use just the watch app.  When the watch app is on, it's a little slower but not annoyingly so.

The reason I asked is to see whether your experience matched mine.  It drains the Apple Watch battery extremely quick when you use the phone's GPS.  It doesn't get through 10 holes.

Axis1 Rose putter

The reason I asked is to see whether your experience matched mine.  It drains the Apple Watch battery extremely quick when you use the phone's GPS.  It doesn't get through 10 holes.

That's odd.  I use the phone more than just the watch by itself and I can still make it the rest of the day on my watch (non-golfing) without having to recharge.

When I use the watch by itself with the Grint app - I can make it through a round, but then only get a few more hours of the watch after the round as it gets below 30% battery after a full round of 18 (4-5 hours)

When I use the watch paired with the phone, using the phone's GPS (using iPhone 8), my watch battery is still over 60-70% at the end of the round.

I've had days where I play 36 using the phone and watch paired, and the phone battery is the one that will die first so I keep a charging pack in my bag and basically keep the phone in the cart attached to the portable charger.

I was looking for something that I could use for just yardage on he course, while i did find that a couple of the apps were accurate, it was a pain because every time I looked for the yardage I had to change he screen on my watch. I didn't like it, I have a garmin vivoactive that I had before that I can use for just the yardage so I just switch out my watch before the round. The only thing I don't like about the garmin is the band. It works for what I need.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I was looking for something that I could use for just yardage on he course, while i did find that a couple of the apps were accurate, it was a pain because every time I looked for the yardage I had to change he screen on my watch. I didn't like it, I have a garmin vivoactive that I had before that I can use for just the yardage so I just switch out my watch before the round. The only thing I don't like about the garmin is the band. It works for what I need.

“Hole 19”

I used it today on my Apple Watch 2

It was great. Yardage , to front middle and back

Accurate too as I often double checked with my laser.

I've been looking at the new s60 but it's $400 smackers

Ouch!

So it gives you yardage, then when the hole is done you swipe it to the left and enter your score and putts.

Then another swipe and press “next hole”

If you forget a hole, you can scroll thru the holes on the left, where it's telling you what hole you're on

It's FREE

Not fancy, but yardage and score card, then when done, it sends ecpverything to your phone for review if you care.

You can also pay for advanced features, $4o for a year, but I'm just not needing all that endless blather.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Oh, and I didn't have much luck with golfshot for some reason, and this one just worked so well...

Lift and look like your checking the time, and bam! There it is.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived