TESTERS WANTED! ×

One for Rules Gurus

Alf. S

I was playing today at a par 3. I hit my tee shot, it pitched on a bank and started to roll down the hill towards the green. A dog then ran down the hill and before it stop picked it up and ran towards his owner. The owner then tried to get the ball and threw a ball back towards the green. Maybe about 5 yards from the original spot. When I arrived at the green the ball that was thrown back was not my ball. The dog and master had disappeared. So what is the rule and what should I do?

I took a ruling from a Marshall which I think was wrong. I carded a 5, fumed for 3 holes and ended up missing buffer.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Replay from the tee. No penalty. The original ball was not lost but stolen by outside influences. Not your fault, so retee without penalty. Same deal when you hit electrical wires over a hole. Hit them and the shot is null and void and you must rehit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

this seems to applyScreenshot_20180812-172743_Chrome.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

I dont believe that is correct. If others saw the ball get picked up by the dog, and the ball cannot be found you are allowed to replace a new ball as close to where the ball was picked up from as possible, and proceed with no penalty.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

19-1/6

Ball Picked Up or Deflected by Dog on Putting Green After Stroke from Off Green

Q.A ball played from off the green was about a foot from the hole and still in motion when it was moved by a dog to a spot about ten feet from the hole. The ball was either deflected by the dog or the dog picked it up, ran with it and dropped it. What is the ruling?

A.If the ball was deflected, it would be played as it lay, without penalty, from the spot to which it was moved by the dog (Rule 19-1).

If the dog picked up the ball, the player should have placed the ball, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where the original ball was when the dog picked it up (Rule 19-1a).

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

19-1/6

Q.A ball played from off the green was about a foot from the hole and still in motion when it was moved by a dog to a spot about ten feet from the hole. The ball was either deflected by the dog or the dog picked it up, ran with it and dropped it. What is the ruling?

A.If the ball was deflected, it would be played as it lay, without penalty, from the spot to which it was moved by the dog (Rule 19-1).

If the dog picked up the ball, the player should have placed the ball, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where the original ball was when the dog picked it up (Rule 19-1a).

Yes - I've actually seen this only with a seagull.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

19-1/6

A.If the ball was deflected, it would be played as it lay, without penalty, from the spot to which it was moved by the dog (Rule 19-1).

If the dog picked up the ball, the player should have placed the ball, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where the original ball was when the dog picked it up (Rule 19-1a).

I think this would have been the rule if the ball that the owner threw back was mine. Which from a distance look like the case but when we got to the green it was a different ball, I think he had trouble getting it from the dog and just threw one on the green from his pocket.

I think it would have to be deemed as a lost ball but with or without penalty but I can't find the rule reference.

The Marshal said to drop a ball where the dog picked it up which I thought was wrong and compounded my mental angist. 

WIMB

BTW I'm using the Arccos app and trying to edit my round but it doesn't have a "dog p!ssed off with my ball penalty button" either ;-)

WIMB

I think this would have been the rule if the ball that the owner threw back was mine. Which from a distance look like the case but when we got to the green it was a different ball, I think he had trouble getting it from the dog and just threw one on the green from his pocket.

I think it would have to be deemed as a lost ball but with or without penalty but I can't find the rule reference.

The Marshal said to drop a ball where the dog picked it up which I thought was wrong and compounded my mental angist.

Nope dog took the ball. You saw the dog take the ball drop at the spot where the dog picked up the ball. The owner throwing it back is not relevant.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Nope dog took the ball. You saw the dog take the ball drop at the spot where the dog picked up the ball. The owner throwing it back is not relevant.

This is how I read it as well. As long as others saw the dog pick up the ball, it doesn't matter what ball I placed down. If the dog dropped the ball into a lake and it was lost, it doesn't matter, you replace the ball and place it where the dog picked it up.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Outside of the rule in question. Id say the dogs owner might have trained that dog and found him an easy way to snatch up good ProVs

Dog took a  new Chrome Soft and owner threw back a Vice. Never used a Vice so it will end up in my practise ball bag.

WIMB

Funny story Alfs.

A friend once had a bobcat run onto the green (it was hiding in the bunker watching us) and proceeded to play with the ball - swatting it around before noticing us approaching and then running off.

Interesting ruling; but since you weren't in a tournament you can do whatever you like. When I'm out by myself or practicing I don't bother with rules. Certainly I wouldn't take rules advice for a Marshall. At least not around my course.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I adore dogs, but could never take my beagle, God rest his precious soul, out onto the course with me.

He'd always sniff something and take off after it.

Thankfully, it was never a bear, so he lived to sixteen.

Mine is the same way. Whenever we're outside, she is nose down, tail up. When she smells a cat or rabbit, thousands of years of breeding kick in.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived