Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2018 Ryder Cup Talk, and Captain Pick Choices

PMookie

Why would you not have Phil? He shot 63 last Sunday,he won a tournament this season, and he's always been a good team player at the Ryder Cup. He's not playing well this week, but it could be that this course doesn't set up well for him.

Finau has played well, but has never won. Up until this week I thought he should be chosen, but if Xander wins this event, that has to make it difficult for Furyk. Xander has been playing well this season too, so I think with a win, it could be enough to jump over Finau.

I'm not sure how this course doesn't set up for everybody; no real hazards, wide fairways and soft greens.  What's not to like?  Yes, he had one low round last week.  Other than that...

Phil has had an average year by his standards.  He played well on the west coast swing, and yes, he won a WGC in Mexico, but that was last spring.  He has had only one top 10 since then, and missed the cut at the Players and the PGA; was T36 at the Masters, T-48 at the US Open with a "rules issue", and T24 at the Open Championship.  

It would be a bad move by Furyk to put Phil out with anyone in Foursomes.  Phil is #147 in Strokes Gained off the tee.  What he does bring to the table is that he is #2 in Strokes Gained Putting and #3 in Birdie Average.  I hope he gets a lot of rest in the next couple of weeks comes out smokin'.  I like Phil.

Phil may be a good team player but he is tied with Jim Furyk for the most losses in Ryder Cup history.  I would hate to think that Furyk put Phil on the team thinking that one more loss by Phil and Jim wouldn't be in the records books in the worst way.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that most golf fans, perhaps even Phil, perceive that this Ryder Cup will be Phil's last as a player.   Maybe this Ryder Cup is Phil's retirement party recognizing his contributions to the Cup.   

While it has been stated often, the potential influence by the broadcasters and their advertisers cannot be overlooked regarding player picks.  If Phil does not warrant Ryder Cup selection, how are you going to sell a PPV event with Tiger.   What's interesting is that 10 of the 12 European team members are playing in the BMW as opposed to the Omega Masters on the European tour.    So perhaps, the American audience even had some influence on the selection of the European team.  How many viewers of the Ryder Cup might be asking-so who are Peiters and Bello, where did they come from.

• 2 weeks later...

Phil may be a good team player but he is tied with Jim Furyk for the most losses in Ryder Cup history.  I would hate to think that Furyk put Phil on the team thinking that one more loss by Phil and Jim wouldn't be in the records books in the worst way.

OK, now I'm an Internet Troll.   :D

I read the articles in the daily Morning Read blog published by Alex Miceli.  Last week there was a lot of discussion about Furyk's pick of Phil Mickelson.  They have a Morning Read Inbox for people to submit comments, so I submitted my the thought I posted above.  Here is my post...

Rooting for Mickelson not to slide into infamy

I find it interesting that Jim Furyk and Phil Mickelson share the record for most losses by a U.S. player in Ryder Cup history, at 20 (“Mickelson, Woods win another Ryder shot,” Sept. 5).

By selecting Mickelson as one of his captain's picks, Furyk almost assuredly has managed to remove his name from that woeful Ryder Cup distinction.

Because this likely will be the last Ryder Cup appearance for Mickelson as a player, I hope he goes undefeated.

Today, golf sportswriter Gary Van Sickle wrote an article about why Furyk is smiling now about his team.  He said the team is strong.  Then he said talking like he was Furyk,  "All right, Phil Mickelson hasn't been lighting it up, but he's Phil. That's good enough. I was bugged that some Internet troll said the only reason I picked Mickelson was so that he could pass me on the list for Ryder Cup match losses by an American. That's some cruel shade."

Does this make me famous... or infamous??

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived