Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Could he be?

Shankster

I say all this because while BK is definitely a really good player the competition is so fierce I don't believe we will ever see another guy dominate the tour even remotely close to how Tiger did during his run.

There have been three players that have totally dominated the game, at least in my opinion.

Bobby Jones

Jack Nicklaus

Tiger Woods

Bobby played in the 1920-1930's

Jack played in the 1960-1980's

Tiger played from 97' - 2008 and maybe beyond as the jury is still out.

30 some years between Jones and Nicklaus, and then 20 some years between Jack and Tiger.  I'm betting the next superstar is out there at the moment, and he may just be in diapers at the moment.

The unpolitically correct thing that no one will either openly say, or admit to, and is the 10,000 pound elephant in the room is that because Tiger is black, I believe this has added to the attention he has received from the media and the fans.  He's essentially the only black golfer to be unbelievably successful, and in this day and age people just automatically gravitate towards that.  You can deny that race has played a factor in all of this, but I've never seen the buzz like Tiger got before he had even turned pro.  He won three straight Junior Ams, and then three straight US Ams, and everyone went nuts.  

Now I'm not arguing that Tiger's race has anything to do with his success on the golf course, but I will say that if you give Tiger the same galleries that other players get, that lack of energy and enthusiasm I think can play a factor into the success you have on the course.  Flip that argument around and look at the overall track record of players who were paired with Tiger at majors for many years.  Tiger would go out and shoot 67, and his playing partners would all be out of the tournament by the 3rd or 4th hole and never heard from again.  And you can't sit there and tell me that all of the commotion and chaos surrounding what Tiger gets from the fans doesn't have an effect on how certain players play on the golf course at that moment.  Heck, I'm a nervous wreck playing in a tournament with NO ONE watching me.  I can't even imagine having the masses screaming for Tiger Woods in my backswing or while I was trying to line up a putt.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BK is a beast but not ready for this level. The past few years we have discussed Spieth, DJ, Jason Day, Rory, and JT as the next heir apparent. BK seems to step it up in the majors and could care less about the other events. He is the flavor of the year, unquestionably a talented player, but will need to sustain over a longer period of time and win more regularly to be in the conversation. I think he has a great chance at being a HOF type player. Win a couple more majors, a few more tournaments etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Only 5 players in the history of the game have yet to be enshrined in the World Golf Hall-of-Fame with at least 3 major championship victories.  Two never played the game after 1882.  The other three are Padraig Harrington, Jordan Spieth and Brooks Koepka.  All too young at this point to be considered.

There are only 28 players with more than 3 major championships in the 150 year history of the game!  What Koepka has done in two seasons is extraordinarily rare in this game!

That's not to suggest he's the greatest of all time.  But what he has accomplished in two seasons has only been accomplished by a handful of players...........ever!

Only 5 players in the history of the game have yet to be enshrined in the World Golf Hall-of-Fame with at least 3 major championship victories.  Two never played the game after 1882.  The other three are Padraig Harrington, Jordan Spieth and Brooks Koepka.  All too young at this point to be considered.

There are only 28 players with more than 3 major championships in the 150 year history of the game!  What Koepka has done in two seasons is extraordinarily rare in this game!

That's not to suggest he's the greatest of all time.  But what he has accomplished in two seasons has only been accomplished by a handful of players...........ever!

2 major victories is automatic berth in hall of fame. Once they hit 50 they are in. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 major victories is automatic berth in hall of fame. Once they hit 50 they are in. 

Two majors isn't "automatic" but it's darned close.

Just off the top of my head, a short list of 2 time major champions who aren't in the World Golf Hall-of-Fame.

• Andy North
  • John Daly
  • Fuzzy Zoeller
  • Olin Dutra
  • John McDermott

My simple answer is... I hope so. Golf is hard and many "would be" greats have come and gone or at least gone cold. I hope Koepka continues to dominate in majors. It would also be really interesting if he continued to win more majors than regular tournaments. I'm not sure how common that is. He is likable and talented. I hope his game continues to shine because that will only bring stiffer competition. Tiger dominated and shortly after you had a whole new level of competition around him. I hope we see the same with Koepka.

WAIT just one second, I didn't think putting mattered anymore. I thought we were supposed to just hit it as far as we can and we would be better. Now you're telling me putting matters!  :o  :D

yes it matters, and if you had seen my putting round on Saturday, you would have witnessed a first hand example  :D

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

This season is the first season I've really watched any golf in years. Since I was a kid in the tiger era. So im new to most of the players out there. I knew their names from being a general sports fan but that's about it. I'm also younger than most around here and I wanted to share some insights on the guys I really like to watch.

So Fast forward, having watched several tournaments this year and 3 of the 4 majors. Players I really like watching are JT, Finau, and BK. Honestly before this tournament there hasnt been much coverage of BK.

But The dude is just awesome. Cold, fierce, respectful, accurate and good Lord the distance. I loved watching him. Never even flinched with the Tiger roars going on. He's got my vote. I hope I get to see alot more of him going forward.

Also I like watching JT cause he defies the laws of physics. One day he's gonna snap that left ankle from the torque. But it's crazy fun to watch that little dude bomb it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Players I really like watching are JT, Finau, and BK. Honestly before this tournament there hasnt been much coverage of BK.

They're good, but some of my favorites have a little game as well--like Walter Hagen, Bobby Jones, and Gene Sarazen.  They haven't played locally in a while, but I ALWAYS check them out when they do. 

I love the knock down draw that Walter hits with his mashie.  I played against him in high school.

Justin, Tony, and Brooks missed me by at least two or three years.

All kidding aside, I ought to learn about the new millennial players.  They drive the ball literally 1000 feet and then actually find it.  Is that even golf?

Not everything needs a hot take right away. Just enjoy the potential of a dominant player for a while. Paddy Harrington went on a majors streak too and then suddenly stopped winning. Back to back British Opens with a PGA thrown in there. Seems very similar to Koepka.

I'm just glad the tournament had drama from big names Sunday afternoon. Didn't really care who ended up winning it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

There have been three players that have totally dominated the game, at least in my opinion.

Bobby Jones

Jack Nicklaus

Tiger Woods

30 some years between Jones and Nicklaus, and then 20 some years between Jack and Tiger. I'm betting the next superstar is out there at the moment, and he may just be in diapers at the moment.

The unpolitically correct thing that no one will either openly say, or admit to, and is the 10,000 pound elephant in the room is that because Tiger is black, I believe this has added to the attention he has received from the media and the fans. He's essentially the only black golfer to be unbelievably successful, and in this day and age people just automatically gravitate towards that. You can deny that race has played a factor in all of this, but I've never seen the buzz like Tiger got before he had even turned pro. He won three straight Junior Ams, and then three straight US Ams, and everyone went nuts.

Now I'm not arguing that Tiger's race has anything to do with his success on the golf course, but I will say that if you give Tiger the same galleries that other players get, that lack of energy and enthusiasm I think can play a factor into the success you have on the course. Flip that argument around and look at the overall track record of players who were paired with Tiger at majors for many years. Tiger would go out and shoot 67, and his playing partners would all be out of the tournament by the 3rd or 4th hole and never heard from again. And you can't sit there and tell me that all of the commotion and chaos surrounding what Tiger gets from the fans doesn't have an effect on how certain players play on the golf course at that moment. Heck, I'm a nervous wreck playing in a tournament with NO ONE watching me. I can't even imagine having the masses screaming for Tiger Woods in my backswing or while I was trying to line up a putt.

Wow!!!!!!! I really had to go back and take a look at your profile to check your age Gswag and surprised to find out that you are from my generation and not the 1800s. Your comments about race are way off base and a little out of line. The play of Tiger Woods alone is the reason for his extreme popularity. I'm truly amazed at how anyone could elude to, infer and or outright state his success is race related. If Tiger Woods had a moderately successful career and was on the cover of everything I would understand your point. However, his shear dominance of a sport over a 10 year period of time is rivaled by very few athletes in all of sports throughout all of sporting history.

Not sure how this discussion made its way down this road. Originally we were speaking of BK in regards to his incredible potential. I referred to Woods only to illustrate how his success drew a new type of athlete to the game of golf and because the parity that came along with this new athlete we will most likely never see someone dominate the game again.

I am not a Tiger Woods fan. I've never purchased anything because of his name. I don't have Tiger head covers on my clubs or Nike posters on my wall. As a matter of fact, as a man I don't want my kids to be anything like pre-automobile accident Tiger Woods. The jury is still out on whether or not this current change is sincere but I'm going to assume positive intent.

What I do respect is his incredible work ethic, talent, tenacity and mental toughness. Maybe you have a 500 lbs elephant in your room Mr GSWAG but I do not. Morals, ethics, drive, talent, intestinal fortitude, etc....along with many other words that describe a person both good and bad are words without a correlation to race, gender, religion or national origin. I respect the aforementioned favorable qualities regardless of the persons race. I dislike the aforementioned negative qualities with absolute no regard to race.

Maybe I'm overreacting but I'm really disappointed right now.

SteddyGolf out.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Guys if your unfamilar with the moral codes please go find them at the top of the menu on the desktop (I'm mobile or id do a screen shot)

Continued bating of off political and racial topics don't belong here. Consider this a informal warning on such matters.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I heard someone say recently, maybe BK himself, that he is a fairly conservative player.  Goes for middle of greens, and doesn't go flag hunting unless it's in a great position.  The conservative approach is a great game plan for majors, particularly the US Open, but not necessarily the best plan for some other tournaments where going low is a must to win.  BK's game is suited for majors, but to win elsewhere, he might have to make a few changes.  I hope if he makes changes that he doesn't ruin his major chances.  He should win several more.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not everything needs a hot take right away. Just enjoy the potential of a dominant player for a while. Paddy Harrington went on a majors streak too and then suddenly stopped winning. Back to back British Opens with a PGA thrown in there. Seems very similar to Koepka.

I'm just glad the tournament had drama from big names Sunday afternoon. Didn't really care who ended up winning it.

Harrington won his majors, then decided he needed to make a swing change.  He never recovered from that decision.  Too bad.  I think he could have won more.

I don't see BK making a swing change.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Harrington won his majors, then decided he needed to make a swing change. He never recovered from that decision. Too bad. I think he could have won more.

I don't see BK making a swing change.

Adam Scott tried a change early this year. That guy was the poster child for a golf swing. Who decided to try and convince him to make a change? They should be fired from teaching golf forever.

I don't always understand swing changes.

These guys are hitting the ball hard already when they decide to make a change..

If you want the ball to do something a little different, just play a golf shot and make it.

It's like setting up the big left hook with a good, stiff left jab in boxing.

You work off what you've got and thus maintain continuity.

If you're skidding the ball into the clubhouse rose bushes, then you might look into a swing change.

But what the hell do I know? 

Adam Scott tried a change early this year. That guy was the poster child for a golf swing. Who decided to try and convince him to make a change? They should be fired from teaching golf forever.

Exactly, look at Lydia Ko on the women's side. She was the #1 player in the world and decided to make a swing change for more distance. Why would you try to make a swing change at #1. You are clearly in control of getting the ball in the hole. Who cares how you do it? Short, Long, Draw, Fade, all that matters it the final number. At number 1 the person who convinced her that she needed a change, should be banished from golf. If you were #500 and couldn't ever break through, fine go for it, try something to shoot lower but #1?

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

He is too even keeled to hook the general fan right now. Even DJ shows more emotion than him.

That's a great observation. Will the fans adore him if they find him boring if he can't show any emotion. Remember the famous Nike commercial with the ball hanging on the lip of the cup with the Nike logo and then it goes in and Tiger goes crazy. That's what the fans want and I can't picture BK doing a big fist pump and screaming.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

This post contains useless dribble.

See previous sentence.

Repeat.

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

sorry. hit post too many times.

But I will continue to say that

"Damn,He's good". and congrads on his win (even though my pick came in at 10 under)

Dexterity:

Only 5 players in the history of the game have yet to be enshrined in the World Golf Hall-of-Fame with at least 3 major championship victories. Two never played the game after 1882. The other three are Padraig Harrington, Jordan Spieth and Brooks Koepka. All too young at this point to be considered.

There are only 28 players with more than 3 major championships in the 150 year history of the game! What Koepka has done in two seasons is extraordinarily rare in this game!

That's not to suggest he's the greatest of all time. But what he has accomplished in two seasons has only been accomplished by a handful of players...........ever!

Rory also has 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Rory also has 3

Rory has 4. 2011 US Open, 2012 PGA, 2014 Open and PGA.

My initial comment was intended to point out, 3 majors is an almost automatic qualifier for the Hall. I didn't intend to include those with more than 3. If 3 is almost automatic, more than 3 certainly would be.

Just like declaring Rickie Fowler a flop is premature calling Brooks the next Jack or Tiger or even Arnie (who was not in their class as a player) is also.

The same holds for Spieth, Mclroy and certainly Johnson - at 1 major he's got a long hill to climb yet.

Somewhere around 4 or 5 majors is where the discussion starts - 7 is when one enters it - that's where Arnie and Sam Snead ended up at - both Tiger and Jack have double that number and five times as many as Koepka has.

I would agree he has the game to do it but stuff happens along the way. For example Watson and Arnie lost their putting stroke - Seve his ball striking abilities.

At the top you need to do everything well - a little slip and you're done.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Bobby Jones

Jack Nicklaus

Tiger Woods

30 some years between Jones and Nicklaus, and then 20 some years between Jack and Tiger.  I'm betting the next superstar is out there at the moment, and he may just be in diapers at the moment.

The unpolitically correct thing that no one will either openly say, or admit to, and is the 10,000 pound elephant in the room is that because Tiger is black, I believe this has added to the attention he has received from the media and the fans.  He's essentially the only black golfer to be unbelievably successful, and in this day and age people just automatically gravitate towards that.  You can deny that race has played a factor in all of this, but I've never seen the buzz like Tiger got before he had even turned pro.  He won three straight Junior Ams, and then three straight US Ams, and everyone went nuts.  

Now I'm not arguing that Tiger's race has anything to do with his success on the golf course, but I will say that if you give Tiger the same galleries that other players get, that lack of energy and enthusiasm I think can play a factor into the success you have on the course.  Flip that argument around and look at the overall track record of players who were paired with Tiger at majors for many years.  Tiger would go out and shoot 67, and his playing partners would all be out of the tournament by the 3rd or 4th hole and never heard from again.  And you can't sit there and tell me that all of the commotion and chaos surrounding what Tiger gets from the fans doesn't have an effect on how certain players play on the golf course at that moment.  Heck, I'm a nervous wreck playing in a tournament with NO ONE watching me.  I can't even imagine having the masses screaming for Tiger Woods in my backswing or while I was trying to line up a putt.

giphy.gif

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived