Sign in to follow this  
Middler

DQOTD: Why Do Some Players Prefer Yellow Balls?

Not casting shade on anyone, but I've never understood why some players much prefer yellow golf balls. I can play them, but I guess I'm just too traditional having always played with traditional white balls. I rarely pick up balls I find while playing, and I never pick up colored balls no matter what brand/condition.

I found one of those Volvik matte dayglo colored balls (it was orange or pink?) and teed it up, only to find it was like looking at the sun for me, very distracting. I think I actually saw sunspots after I hit it, so I hit it into the woods shortly after I found it. Not casting shade here either, to each his/her own.

I play them sometimes but some colored golf balls are easier for me to track in the air and it usually easier to find when a shot gets away from me. Not everyone is like that but I'm pretty sure that is the big reason for most people. 

• Like 2

So much easier to see both in the air and from a distance in the fairway or rough.

I don't play them regularly, but when I do, I notice a huge difference in being able to see the ball.  But I'm 58 and don't see as well as i used to. 

• Like 2

Because WIll Wilcox made a hole in one with one.   :D

And evidently "Its (yellow ball) main achievement so far, however, is a hole in one by Jim Furyk during the pre-Masters Par-3 tournament."

Play on some brown dormant Bermuda with a yellow ball one time, and you'll know why.

I have played a yellow so long that I can't use a white ball anymore

• Like 1

I'll play them in tournaments so I can see them easier and don't have to mark my ball

• Like 1

I find colored balls really hard to find. I can always see white the best. Yellow always blends in to the turf. Pink looks like fallen leaves. Green, well why would you make a green golf ball.

I will use colored balls until I lose them. I don't mind hitting them, I can just never find them.

Obvious reason for me - easier to find most of the time. I'm about 50/50 on my usage of yellow vs white balls. Usually play yellow when I'm by myself so I can find them easier.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

For me it was about visibility...but the Snell MTB Red doesn't do it for me so I've gone back to the black in white. 

For me it was about visibility...but the Snell MTB Red doesn't do it for me so I've gone back to the black in white.

If Snell would make the MTB Black in the yellow color, I would def. be playing those, I'm with you on Reds, it's not bad, but it's just not as good as the black for me, and I am so used to not playing a white ball, I don't want to go back.

• Like 1

Visual cue as others have said. Nice to be able to pick out your ball in the rough or woods as I tend to be in those areas more than I want to be. No difference in performance. I'll buy both, depending on what is on sale.

MDGolfHacker

Another vote for the visual - I'm currently using white because I'm playing the Pro VIx - it's what my club carries and I got a reasonable price on 4 dozen - If I weren't I would be playing some comparable brand in an optic color - it's very hard for me to follow a white ball's flight in Florida in the summer. 

Not casting shade on anyone, but I've never understood why some players much prefer yellow golf balls. I can play them, but I guess I'm just too traditional having always played with traditional white balls. I rarely pick up balls I find while playing, and I never pick up colored balls no matter what brand/condition.

I found one of those Volvik matte dayglo colored balls (it was orange or pink?) and teed it up, only to find it was like looking at the sun for me, very distracting. I think I actually saw sunspots after I hit it, so I hit it into the woods shortly after I found it. Not casting shade here either, to each his/her own.

I find them (yellow) very difficult to track in the air. A lot of people here are just the opposite so it might be years of “training” my eyes to watch for white.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I find them (yellow) very difficult to track in the air. A lot of people here are just the opposite so it might be years of “training” my eyes to watch for white.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Especially hitting into the sun, the yellow just disappears. I know about where my shots go but it is still nice to see them.

I'll take any color balls besides blue..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2