Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf in 2050

fixyurdivot

Watching yesterdays finishing round and being really astounded by the caliber of play, got me to thinking about where the game is heading in years to come.  The level of technology improvements in the past couple of decades alone combined with notable shift in players physique is, seemingly, making the game too easy.  

In several threads we've discussed what might be changed to keep the courses on pace with the players.  As memory serves, we haven't come to consensus on that.  So as golf equipment keeps advancing and more players start looking like a DJ, Koepka, Woodland, and Woods, what does our sport look like in the decades to come?

I wonder if the USGA has a "think tank" group that ponders this?  Throttle in one hand and a brake in the other I should think.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

New drivers that'll only add 5 yds in spite of the marketing hype.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

cameras on the ball to 'see the flight' using your holo phone....plus you'll never lose it as the holo phone shows where it is in the trees/rough etc

hover carts for silently cruising the fairways with no damage to a blade of grass.

Virtual reality beer girls or guys depending on your preference and what button you clicked at the R&R station.

A holographic caddy that tells you all you need to know about what club to use, what line to putt all by clicking the app on your holo phone.

Every shot you took is recorded and you can play it back on your 4D surround TV and stand beside yourself while you watch the replay of that career drive or eagle putt. (you heard that hear first shotscope ;))

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

New drivers that'll only add 5 yds in spite of the marketing hype.

Isn't that current reality?  :lol:

cameras on the ball to 'see the flight' using your holo phone....plus you'll never lose it as the holo phone shows where it is in the trees/rough etc

hover carts for silently cruising the fairways with no damage to a blade of grass.

Virtual reality beer girls or guys depending on your preference and what button you clicked at the R&R station.

A holographic caddy that tells you all you need to know about what club to use, what line to putt all by clicking the app on your holo phone.

Every shot you took is recorded and you can play it back on your 4D surround TV and stand beside yourself while you watch the replay of that career drive or eagle putt. (you heard that hear first shotscope ;))

I nominate you for the USGA think tank board.

2050? 

This is definitely a thread that doesn't apply to me.

Well, that goes for me as well in all likelihood, but I'm still curious what the game might look like then.

I certainly won't be here, but I want to see the pros hit it further.  Drive every par 4, I don't care.  Shoot 54.  Why can't someone birdie every hole?  Players today get on birdie runs - 6, 7 in a row.  Someone has to have that extraordinary round like we get once in a while, except on the pro level. It took a long time from the first 59 score to the second one, but since then many 59's and a 58.  I think 54 is within reach within 30 years.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Whose getting better?

Touring pros - not us. Even there I'm not sure it's true - golf, like all sports, is different. Different doesn't mean better or worse - just different. Add 10 mph of wind and no rain and the winning score goes to -10 pronto at this week's tournament -

The game will continue to evolve - but what does that mean? Just more different and the average golfer will still shoot bogey.

But the game could become more fun for the average player, a chip in the ball so that it's not lost - self driving individual carts that take you ( not me - I'll be gone and in heaven) to your ball and hand you the proper club (you'll immediately put it away and reach for one less and that's why the average player will still shoot bogey)

It's no where near the crises that people are making it out to be. It's just evolving.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Golfspy gets recognized as the lead source of info for the golf industry with help of staff members like BionicBarbajo and company.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

really like this topic, especially as it relates to the Tour level. On this, I agree entirely with RevKev: we amateurs are likely to continue to play at roughly the same level we always have. But speculation about how Tour golf will change fascinates me.

Let me take a detour, and then come back to the subject at hand. I was talking to my son the other day about how impressive it was for BK to have won three majors, and how few guys have won more than a couple. We pulled up the list of multiple major winners, and it was striking how many on the list are from a previous era in golf.

My contention is that you can say what you want about (for instance) Jack versus Tiger, but it is not seriously disputable that the 40th rank player today is much stronger than the 40th ranked player back in the day. There are reasons for this. Golf is likely more accessible than it was back in the day (though there remains room for improvement). The money in golf expanded tremendously in the era of Jack/Arnold, and then again exponentially with Tiger. This draws more prime athletes to the sport. We see this with the Wilson major pick'em contests: the Tier 5 guys were awesome this last week. So many guys can win a tournament, even a major, that winning multiple majors against these fields is really impressive.

This brings me to where I think we'll see golf go by 2050. I think the top guys have room to get better. And if trends continue, the field will continue to get even stronger.

First, with reference to the top guys, I always interested in this question: how likely is it that the potential world's greatest golfer is even playing golf? Consider basketball: in this country, it is almost certain that if a person has basketball talent, he will get a chance to play and be discovered. This is due to the ease of access and to the financial incentives: if you can play, you'll get paid.

I don't think the same is true of golf, chiefly because so many fewer people ever begin to play. And his last web.com Tour round notwithstanding, I think Steph Curry illustrates why we might have considerable room for even more astonishing golf performances than what we've already seen in Tiger, et al. Curry hardly practices, compared to the average web.com guy. And yet he beats several of them, and hangs in the tournaments he's been invited to play.

How many guys like that are there in this country? Freak athletes who, if devoted to golf, might entirely change what we think is possible on a golf course? I think the top end of golf can be raised, not be equipment (which should be capped out), but by better and better athletes being drawn to the sport.

Second, with reference to the field, I think that even absent the superathletes (like Curry), the general athleticism of the upcoming generation of Tour players are going to raise the level of golf across the board. On the plus side, this will give us some really great golf to watch. On the downside, it will mean that an era of super-dominance by a single player is more unlikely.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

really like this topic, especially as it relates to the Tour level. On this, I agree entirely with RevKev: we amateurs are likely to continue to play at roughly the same level we always have. But speculation about how Tour golf will change fascinates me.

Let me take a detour, and then come back to the subject at hand. I was talking to my son the other day about how impressive it was for BK to have won three majors, and how few guys have won more than a couple. We pulled up the list of multiple major winners, and it was striking how many on the list are from a previous era in golf.

My contention is that you can say what you want about (for instance) Jack versus Tiger, but it is not seriously disputable that the 40th rank player today is much stronger than the 40th ranked player back in the day. There are reasons for this. Golf is likely more accessible than it was back in the day (though there remains room for improvement). The money in golf expanded tremendously in the era of Jack/Arnold, and then again exponentially with Tiger. This draws more prime athletes to the sport. We see this with the Wilson major pick'em contests: the Tier 5 guys were awesome this last week. So many guys can win a tournament, even a major, that winning multiple majors against these fields is really impressive.

This brings me to where I think we'll see golf go by 2050. I think the top guys have room to get better. And if trends continue, the field will continue to get even stronger.

First, with reference to the top guys, I always interested in this question: how likely is it that the potential world's greatest golfer is even playing golf? Consider basketball: in this country, it is almost certain that if a person has basketball talent, he will get a chance to play and be discovered. This is due to the ease of access and to the financial incentives: if you can play, you'll get paid.

I don't think the same is true of golf, chiefly because so many fewer people ever begin to play. And his last web.com Tour round notwithstanding, I think Steph Curry illustrates why we might have considerable room for even more astonishing golf performances than what we've already seen in Tiger, et al. Curry hardly practices, compared to the average web.com guy. And yet he beats several of them, and hangs in the tournaments he's been invited to play.

How many guys like that are there in this country? Freak athletes who, if devoted to golf, might entirely change what we think is possible on a golf course? I think the top end of golf can be raised, not be equipment (which should be capped out), but by better and better athletes being drawn to the sport.

Second, with reference to the field, I think that even absent the superathletes (like Curry), the general athleticism of the upcoming generation of Tour players are going to raise the level of golf across the board. On the plus side, this will give us some really great golf to watch. On the downside, it will mean that an era of super-dominance by a single player is more unlikely.

Great thoughts on the subject!  I tend to think equipment technology will continue to advance and help players at all levels.  I'm simply basing this on our history; if there is profit to be made, it will be pursued. Concerning your last statement, I view not having "an era of super dominance by a single player" as a good thing.  I like seeing a larger percentage of the field contending for wins on any given week.  

I think one of the main contributors to the increased distance and athleticism we see now is these guys are athletes. They work out hard and are stronger and faster then the previous generation of tour pros. They have a trainer, dietitian, swing coach, short game coach, physical therapist, and mental coach. They are machines that eat and sleep Golf and preparation to play golf. Yes the club and ball tech has greatly improved, but they still have to generate the speed to hit the ball as far as they do. Sport specific fitness and training has boomed over the last decade, not just in golf. Look at the average NFL linemen from the 70s and 80s compared to today's player, so much bigger and faster. I think technology club wise can only go so far, honestly how much yardage club wise have we gained in the last 5 years or so. The ball has great improvements, probably the biggest contributor to distance equipment wise. With the restrictions on COR and the ball it is the athlete that will improve to make the gains in distance. Technology with track man and cameras have also helped with getting everything dialed in for peak performance for each club.

Wo t be around to see any of it

I'll be a 100 years old with more parts replaced than a studerbaker. . The young guys won't have a clue what a studerbaker is ...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

In 2050, cell phone distractions will no longer be an issue.  By then the sport will sound like a NFL, NBA, or MLB playoff game.  Chorus cries, grandstand stomping, and catchy tunes on the loudspeakers in between drives and putts will be commonplace. I hope I'm pushing up daisy's before ever having to witness it.  :lol:

Watching yesterdays finishing round and being really astounded by the caliber of play, got me to thinking about where the game is heading in years to come.  The level of technology improvements in the past couple of decades alone combined with notable shift in players physique is, seemingly, making the game too easy.  

In several threads we've discussed what might be changed to keep the courses on pace with the players.  As memory serves, we haven't come to consensus on that.  So as golf equipment keeps advancing and more players start looking like a DJ, Koepka, Woodland, and Woods, what does our sport look like in the decades to come?

I wonder if the USGA has a "think tank" group that ponders this?  Throttle in one hand and a brake in the other I should think.

Golf will be non-existent in 2050....because the aliens will be coming in 2049 to conquer the earth.....ha ha ha :D  :lol: 

MDGolfHacker 

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

In 2050, I can only hope that those of you still around will remember me well.   I trust that I will be playing some heavenly courses.  I've got to believe that there are dogs and golf courses in heaven, because without them it just wouldn't be heaven. 

In 2050, I can only hope that those of you still around will remember me well.   I trust that I will be playing some heavenly courses.  I've got to believe that there are dogs and golf courses in heaven, because without them it just wouldn't be heaven. 

I wonder what golf in heaven will be like.  Will a bogey golfer be a bogey golfer in heaven?  Will we all be scratch players?  I think we still need a challenge, but playing on heavenly courses would be nice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Golf will be non-existent in 2050....because the aliens will be coming in 2049 to conquer the earth.....ha ha ha :D  :lol:

MDGolfHacker 

I wonder if any of them are already MGS's?  :lol:

Golf in 2050? Doubt I'll be around, but dammit, shouldn't there be more freakin' lasers!!!

INSERT FAVORITE LASER VIDEO HERE:

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I wonder if any of them are already MGS's? :lol:

I have contacted the mothership. The invasion shall begin.

Oh my talk to text was on... Abort! Abort!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have contacted the mothership. The invasion shall begin.

Oh my talk to text was on... Abort! Abort!

LMFAO!!!! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

Mental telepathy will be a normal communication method. That way the crowds at tour events won't strain their vocal cords yelling 'dilly dilly' and 'in the hole'

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Mental telepathy will be a normal communication method. That way the crowds at tour events won't strain their vocal cords yelling 'dilly dilly' and 'in the hole'

Heh... "Dilly freakin' Dilly" !!!! Too funny!!!! :lol:

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Man I have no idea what it will be like but if I took a guess I'd say it's going to be a lot less popular, new metals, longer courses and outrageous fees will drive away the normal folks, the land will probably be more valuable for the housing we'll need so there will be fewer courses too.

No matter what it does, it will be interesting to watch it develop

I wonder what golf in heaven will be like.  Will a bogey golfer be a bogey golfer in heaven?  Will we all be scratch players?  I think we still need a challenge, but playing on heavenly courses would be nice.

Golf in heaven will be boring because we'll be acing every hole.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Course management changes interest me the most. Will there ever be an artificial surface for greens (and beyond)? Imagine having the ability to change more than hole placement from day to day, adding a ridge for Sunday play or a nasty run-off on the back side. Will there be faster ways to replace/fix divots or course damage? With some of the crop manipulation techniques developed for farming transfer to the stuff used on courses? 

Can cyborgs play? Yes, I'm saying by 2050 people will have the ability to add non-organic peripherals. Not saying we'll have terminators walking around, but with some of the current artificial appendage developments I find it hard to believe they won't be refined 30 years from now.

:cobra-small: Cobra King F7+, VA drago 65 X, 9.5*

:cobra-small: Cobra F7 3/4 wood - hzrd red 15.5*

:mizuno-small: MP-63 4-PW 

:cleveland-small: Cleveland 588 Tour Wedge (56*)

OnCore Elixr all day every day

Archived