TESTERS WANTED! ×

I miss the "Silly Season"

TheWahoo

Now that the final major is over, with one more tournament, the Fed Ex tournaments begin.   Also, because the majors are over, I will start to pay attention to the Fed Ex standings.  When the Fed Ex concludes with the Tour Championship, within weeks, the "wrap around" season starts.   Personally,  I miss the days when the Tour Championship ended the season and the Tournament of Champions started a new season.   That interim period was labelled the "Silly Season".   I enjoyed the varying formats available during that season--The Skins Game, The Wendy's Three Tour Challenge and watching Fred Couples, the King of the Silly Season, earn quite a bid of money.  If I recall, there was a World Team Championship where each country would sent a two man team.  In short, I enjoyed that time when something different was played as opposed to typical tournaments.  

Me too. I also miss q-school. Watching those guys battle for their carreers was pretty intense.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I enjoyed the Skins Game when it was at Indian Wells.  I've stayed at the Renaissance and played both of those courses.

I do like watching the Father/Son Tournament in Florida in the fall.  It's different than it used to be.  Some of the sons are now better players than their pro dads.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm just happy there is so much golf being played around the world that can be watched on the Golf Channel.  The vast majority of other televised programs aren't worth watching.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Somebody explain the Fed Ex tournament to me as golf is (was?) my participation sport and I'm not an expert on the Tour.

I think the old Tournament of Champions was a good idea.

Have an event with just the year's Tour winners plus maybe the Senior PGA and Open winners, the USGA and R&A amateur winners, the NCAA individual champion, the public links champion, and the club professional's champion.  I could dig that.

Make it a fun thing on a holiday type course with Victoria Secret Angels manning the beverage carts.

Let the players wear shorts if they like, just to make it look different from the same old same old.

Wait until the the televised banquet afterwards to present the trophy.

Have show biz celebrities there (although unfortunately, Dean Martin is still dead).

It's the Golf version of the NASCAR playoffs.

All about FedEx and other big sponsorship dollars. Quite commercial and boring if you ask me. And the courses aren't that great.

But the winner gets $10,000,000...

Plus whatever he wins in the four playoff events.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

There's a silly season event planned: Tiger vs Phil. It's a battle of two superstars in which the match is about 10 years too late! See which back will hold up the longest! 

I know the PGA Tour is making a lot of changes to the schedule because ratings are really bad during football season but yes, I miss the 3 tour challenge, etc. 

Heck, I'd love to watch some prime time golf in the middle of the week during football season. Not everyone wants to watch Louisville/Memphis or Jets/Bills on a Thursday night. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Me too, the golf world cup is still an event. And is being played this year in Melbourne, really like the event just a shame with the time difference it is hard to view. Qualifying for the event ends next week. 

WITB

Titleist 913 D3 Grafalloy blue 2013 stiff shaft
Titleist 910F 15 degree Diamana Kai'li 75 mid stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft 
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff 
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52/9 KBS Tour-V 125
Callaway mack daddy 2 54/14s KBS tour-v 110
Callaway mack daddy 2 58/10s KBS tour-v 110

Rife 460 Tour Blade/Odyssey White Ice No. 7

Handicap - 18.1

Home club
 - www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk/