Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

"Standard" shaft length trimming question

So, it seems the standard iron shaft lengths (when measured by sole-ing the club and placing the ruler behind the shaft touching the ground) are as follows:

PW  35.5"

9     36"

8     36.5"

7     37"

6     37.5"

5     38"

4     38.5"

3     39"

So, if this measurement is made with the grips on, before the raw shafts are trimmed, I'm guessing an extra 1/4" needs to be considered for the butt of the grip?  For example, let's say before trimming I place the shaft in the PW, sole the club and measure 35.5" and mark the shaft.  If I cut there, once the grip is added, won't my measurement now be 35.75"?

I just want to get this right the first time.

thanks!

Jon

Grips usually account for less than 1/4". Even still, I can say from personal experience +/- 1/4" has extremely minimal (if not zero) performance difference.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I agree.  You shouldn't notice any difference.  Follow the tip trimming specs for parallel tip shafts.  Only trim taper tip shafts from the butt end.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree.  You shouldn't notice any difference.  Follow the tip trimming specs for parallel tip shafts.  Only trim taper tip shafts from the butt end.

Yes.  These are taper tip, only trimming from the butt end.

And it sounds like, I'll place the shaft, measure, cut to standard length, and then add the grip without worrying about any "additional" grip length.  Thanks for the replies.

Yes.  These are taper tip, only trimming from the butt end.

And it sounds like, I'll place the shaft, measure, cut to standard length, and then add the grip without worrying about any "additional" grip length.  Thanks for the replies.

Yep! It will be easier to cut the shaft before you epoxy the head. Just prep the tip so that it fits the head and can be measured and marked for cutting.

Pro tip for if you ever use graphite: Wrap the cutting area with masking tap and draw a cutting mark on the tape. Its useful for a lot of reasons

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Archived