TESTERS WANTED! ×

Not sure what is going on

Big money

This might seem a little out of place for a golf forum.But I'm actually relieved that I haven't played any golf this season.Granted I had some major shoulder issues, but I'm pretty sure they are almost gone now.Im just happy to be away from the same ole league golf / men's clubs/ keeping a golf handicap / tournaments and outings/ fast play or slow play/ many bad or good shots/ or even a birdie or a triple bogey .Positive I can go out and play real soon.But the leagues and men's club are fast approaching that end of season play.In all reality I just don't feel like it until next year or so.Really haven't missed golf for a second once I got past the first few weeks of no golf.And I used to be an avid 100 plus round player every year (not including many range sessions).

Anyone run into this for a long extent like mine?

Keep it in the short stuff

Totally agree with Jlukes. Enjoy golf how you want to enjoy it. Whether that is playing once or 100 times a year. 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Here is a thought for you. Some who take a long break never come back.While others that came back after a long break were never able regain their game or swings. Do what makes you happy as others said.But long breaks from a hobby like golf make it tough returning

As I have discussed in other threads, due to health concerns, my doctor advised that I not play golf for about a ten month period.   Perhaps, it similar to the five stages of grief, except that you ignore the first four and go straight to acceptance.  Maybe there was some denial and anger, but they were extremely brief.  So brief that I was not aware if they occurred.  When you think you might not play again, that acceptance stage is important because it keeps you sane so that it will not impact other important areas of your life.   A built in mental safeguard, if you will.   Even now, I accept that my ability and opportunities to play are limited because of my health.  But what I have found, is that now when I can play, my perspective has changed, I now have a greater appreciation that I can play and enjoy the game a bit more.   I trust that when you return to the game, that you will find that greater appreciation for and enjoyment of the game.

Agree Wahoo, at first I had huge withdrawal symptoms.But after a month it left but still had a few flare ups .. hahah.I did go use the range a few times hitting a 1/2 bucket or so.But haven't really ventured that far from there.

And thanks Jluke.That is the true meaning of golf.

Ott95.,I agree with you.Im sure I would shoot a billion if I played now.Its a humbling game.But even more so with the layoff I have going on

Not really.  The longest I've gone without playing golf since I took top the game was 10 weeks while I was recovering from total knee replacement, and that was from Nov-Jan so I didn't miss much.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Sounds like you need a break from it all and just go out and play for fun. Kick back a few cold ones smoke some cigars and play with friends

I've had many season(s) where this is all I did.Only way I judged my round was by how many golf balls I didn't lose.But twenty five years later, and I at least keep track of how many fairways and greens I hit

I just got back to playing after nearly 20 years away, and I can't believe I stayed away so long. I love it as much or more than I did back in the 80s and 90s, when I was much younger and stronger. But I appreciate the game more now.

This last year has been great and I believe I am back for good now. In spite of some of the more frustrating rounds or periods when my swing goes sideways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

I just got back to playing after nearly 20 years away, and I can't believe I stayed away so long. I love it as much or more than I did back in the 80s and 90s, when I was much younger and stronger. But I appreciate the game more now.

This last year has been great and I believe I am back for good now. In spite of some of the more frustrating rounds or periods when my swing goes sideways.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good for you!!  Based on my experience and reading posts from everyone here, all of our swings go sideways every now and then.  Don't worry about it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A day or two after I arrived at William and Mary for my freshman year, I went to talk to the golf coach about tryouts. Not that I thought I could make the team, but that I might as well give it a shot. He told me not to waste my time or his.

I basically quit playing at that point.

I didn't really start playing seriously again until my late 20s.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Yes - I've been through a three year period of just this sort of issue. For me it was a combination of reasons.

1. My daughter being in High School coupled with her significant additional illness chewed up a good deal more time particularly once she got sick.

2. I took on the responsible of being the PA for someone - this was deceptively time consuming with no compensation

3. My personal care and fitness suffered making it difficult for me to swing the club as I used to.

All of this caused my handicap to sky rocket from sub 1 to as high as 9! I know lots of people would be happy at 9 but my primary enjoyment from golf was that I was good. As a 9 you do not so and out as good to anyone - particularly as an over weight, aging 9 who doesn't hit the ball very far. I came to start hating to play.

I determined to quit playing unless it was with friends for fun. I would go to the range and practice to blow of steam.

Then as Penny's health improved I decided to enter a fitness program (like you Big Money).

I played as a sub in a league last season and the team owner invited me back so I said yes and wanted to make a better show of it.

The guy's son moved to Florida and took over as his PA. I suddenly had 5 extra hours a week.

With much more time to practice and a body that is doing more of what's being asked of it - my handicap index is back to 4.3 (but not in league where it's only dropped to 8 which means the Captain always wants me in the A player slot).

I'm enjoying golf again and feel as if my goal of getting back to 1 is obtainable even if it remains a stretch.

I can't wait for my friends to return in October - they are in for a surprise when we hit tray first tee. I had lost some weight when they left in April - I weighed 189 the last time they saw me.

I'm at a leaner still 169 now and hitting it much better as I continue to adjust to the new me.

Hang in there Big Money - the desire to play hold will likely return!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This might seem a little out of place for a golf forum.But I'm actually relieved that I haven't played any golf this season.Granted I had some major shoulder issues, but I'm pretty sure they are almost gone now.Im just happy to be away from the same ole league golf / men's clubs/ keeping a golf handicap / tournaments and outings/ fast play or slow play/ many bad or good shots/ or even a birdie or a triple bogey .Positive I can go out and play real soon.But the leagues and men's club are fast approaching that end of season play.In all reality I just don't feel like it until next year or so.Really haven't missed golf for a second once I got past the first few weeks of no golf.And I used to be an avid 100 plus round player every year (not including many range sessions).

Not as big a break,  but there was a month where I didn't pick up a club through out the last few years.  Frustration with the swing was the cause that made me step away.  Needed that month to reset mentally and forget a little of the swing.  Do what makes you happy, even if it means stepping away from golf for an extended period of time.  There are also other hobbies that you can take up to supplement golf.  I rediscovered fishing when I was in Fl visiting my brother in law.  I found it relaxing just hanging out with my kids or whomever is fishing with me at the time, exciting when you land a fish (fresh water fishing mainly) and a heck of a lot less stressful when I fish for a few hours and don't catch anything, LOL.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

big money.

great thread.

it is interesting to read about your happiness by stepping away.

I have lately had 2 bad rounds which is really leaving me perplexed about why I am struggling so much. Yoir thread is good food for thought. Stepping away for a bit. That might be needed to reset the mental game clock.

thanks for posting this

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

MD golf . I have the fishing rods and bait always ready.Thats a hobby where I can cast and actually it benefits me.Where in golf it stinks

Har in the Hat. Going from 100 plus rounds a year to nothing is pretty radical.Once I got over the hump of not wanting to be on the course it got easier.Its amazing how many little things we miss in life when on the golf course.And all the free time available to try other things.Im sure I will come back next year.But strangely I'm really loving being away from this game.My urge to be back on the course on an perfect 80 degree day is completely gone.Now I think about it, I hope I come back.Hard to say

There was a regular on the Golf Review Forum named Lorenzo who moved from Orange County, California, to the mountains of Utah, took up skiing more seriously, and gave up golf.

Stuff like that does happen.

Still, most of the people that I know who've given up golf are in my boat--they'd love to play and physically can't anymore.  Others come across a little rough patch and can't afford to play for a while.

But if you can play and just choose not to, I don't think that there are either legal or moral issues with that decision!

Best wishes with whatever you wind up doing, of course.

Remembering my love of softball. I decided taking a week off. Which turned into a month.And than month turned into a year.Than year turned into 6 years away and counting.Things happen the longer you wait

However, i would get sick of it if I played a 100 times or more a year like you.Couldnt imagine spending 4 plus hours X100 plus rounds a season on a golf course.My Head would explode. Take off the rest of the season, and than decide what to do next.

Archived