TESTERS WANTED! ×

Round killing moment

revkev

So we have how did you play, how did you practice and shot of the day. Those are great threads.

Give that we only will shoot our handicaps 1/4 times there are also those rounds that do not work out. Often times that round turns or a single swing - the drive OB, the three putt, the ball in the water, the under club, whatever it is suddenly there's a crooked number on the card.

I think it will be beneficial to hear about that moment or moment in the round that led to falling short. Was it a miss hit or mental error? What did it cost you?

Here's my first one. Yesterday was a struggle. The absolutely abysmal summer weather in Florida has been well documented by others here. It's our wettest summer in over 30's year's minus a tropical storm and on those days when it doesn't rain, like yesterday, the heat index is north of 105.

So the course was playing beyond long, balls were plugging in the middle of the fairway and certainly in the fringe which is death for guys who have to hit fairway woods or hybrids into the greens on some par 4's - I had 5 such shots yesterday, hit four of them well enough to get on the green and all plugged short.

But the true round killer moment wasn't that, it came on 14. A medium length par 5 that was playing into a breeze I hit a great drive and decent enough lay up that left a perfect 118 PW from the right side of the fairway to a front left pin. Great, I pulled the club, took a gentle half practice swing and proceeded to have a brain fart - getting stuck inside, and flaring the ball 30 yards right of target plugged into a trap in a downhill lie. Bogey on the easiest hole on the 9 from a perfect spot meant I needed to par in on four difficult holes to break 80.

I made it to 18 where a duck hook ended my day. Without the bogey on 14, the duck hook on 18 never happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I wish I could point to only one shot per round that does me in, but the reality is I seem to have one shot PER HOLE that does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

This thread is perfect Rev!

Today it was a terrible drive on a par 5 that lead to a 9... just dumb. I can get there with 2 7 irons and a 9 iron. Instead a blocked my drive off into the Sumacs, then took my 3 wood out and piped one, then a nice smooth 5 iron just off the green from 202 pin high. Chunked the chip (I never do that!!) and it rolled off the front of the green.

Driver usually costs me strokes.... but two holes later I hit one 280 uphill into the wind... 🤷🏼‍♂️ and a 3 putt after a nice approach.

I think anything under 6300 total yards and I'm not even bringing the driver.

Great thread Rev.

Last time out it was that Par 5 7th hole.

Blocked my tee shot two feet into the woods.

Here comes the shot, I in my everlasting genius decided to play it out if the woods with an impeded swing instead of an unplayable, and a drop. I proceeded to top it and hit a branch and kick much farther into the woods.

This lead to an 8 on a birdie hole.

I was +1 to that point and made the turn in +6 due to one mental error.

Boy, golf can be fun.😀

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

36 hole comp last Sunday- 1 over par after 9, hitting the ball well, then went DOUBLE Bogie DOUBLE bogie DOUBLE Bogie.....all from the middle of each of the fairways!!!  :(

This game just kicks you in the teeth sometimes  :lol:

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I think it will be beneficial to hear about that moment or moment in the round that led to falling short. Was it a miss hit or mental error? What did it cost you?

Nifty never made mental errors on the golf course.

I saved those for real life.

And you wouldn't want me to tell you what they've cost me.

The catastrophic miss hits, on the other hand, were unavoidable.

Consistent true hits require athletic talent, apparently.

Good thread Rev-

Yesterday on #8

108 short par 3, with death trap in front, which keeps me from a sand wedge, and forces a gap wedge

So I take a gap and choke up to kill a few yards, and figure just hit middle and 2-putt.

So nfortunately I hit it super flush and it goes to back of green and it hits a sprinkler head, and bounces way back onto s steep hillside.

So then I try to get cute and actually chunk it about 5 feet.then get a flyer across the green.

End up with a double. Gahhhhhh...

Ended up 6 over, with 2 birds....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I did it today 1st hole in my leagues semi final. Topped my 1st tee shot left into the desert, proceeded to do it again with my provisional. Find the provisional under a bush, take a unplayable and drop. End up starting my day with a 8. Have not had a eight in months, what a way to start the day. Digging out of a +4 on the 1st was not how I like to start my round. I went into the semi finals in 2nd place which really made it sting. Hopefully today does not hurt me to bad, rebounded to not destroy the round. I will be more focused next week, need to play really well to pull the championship off.

Round killing moments....  (notice I took the liberty to make this plural) 

I'm liking the topic of this post. And what a perfect topic it is for today. I had three such moments today. Me and a buddy went to Lubbock Texas today to play the Rawls Course. It's a great Tom Doak design. If you've ever played Pacific Dunes you'll see a lot of similarities. Just no ocean views. Anyway...

I started the round on a par four slight dogleg left. I put my opening drive in the left FW bunker but with with a good lie. I hit my approach onto the green but watched as it rolled off the back into a bunker. I then proceeded to get up and down for a par while never touching the fairway on the hole. On to the next hole. Round not killed. Yet.

On the next hole a par five I hit a decent drive but just off the fairway left but in a good lie. As I was preparing for the next shot there was a guy with two dogs wandering around in the heavy rough amongst brush and trees. No biggie. So I hit my layup over a hill and down towards the green and close to a cart path I thought it would be. I watched as the dog buy walked ahead and over and down the cart path ahead of us. Never found my ball. We all finally decided that the guy with the dogs picked it up or one of his dogs fetched it.  :angry:  I went on to make a double.

The next hole was a short par three guarded by deep bunkers. I flushed a perfect 9 iron but came up short as my ball hit the top lip of the bunker and rolled back in!! Not so perfect eh? Anyway.... I proceeded to continue hacking at the ball until I carded a 7!!  :angry:

We continued our round and I was unsettled by now and certainly off my game. It was a great day for golf as the temps were in the low 70's and overcast. Finishing the front I carded a 9 over 45!!! Absolutely nothing was working today. But on the 10th hole, a par 3; the most beautiful thing happened. A miracle actually. It started raining. We made a beeline for the clubhouse and called it a day. I've never been more happy to get rained out in my life! Rev.... someone we both know knew I was suffering and decided that would be enough punishment for one day. And yes.... I gave my thanks.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm crusing along today in the city weekend tournament. Played the back nine first and was +3 making the turn. I bogeyed 18 with a 3-putt which just pissed me off, but it motivated me to start firing at pins as I was playing too conservative, which cost me the 3-putt on 18.

Anyway, I stick a dart on 1 to about 10 feet and burn the edge on the birdie putt. I crush drives on 2 and 3 right down the middle and walk off with solid pars on both holes. And par on #2 is like birdie, because I was the only one in my group that made par on that hole.

Anyway, I get to #4, jacked up woth confidence because I have been playing solid all day, and haven't really missed a shot that really cost me anything. My 3 bogies up until that point were just tough breaks and oh well, keep going. #4 is a short par 4 of about 300 yards, but it is a mind screwer, with huge trees blocking the left and right side of the very narrow fairway. And you have to lay up to about 100 yards out, unless you don't mind losing a ball in the pond guarding the front of the green. So I smoke a 5-iron to about 115 out, and the wind is about a 1-club wind in your face, so now I am in between clubs. 115 is a perfect gap wedge for me, but with the wind in my face, and water in front of the green I can't risk coming up short so I pull PW and choke down a bit on it as I don't want to fly this very small green long.

I hit it fat and knew it instantly that that ball was gone and now residing at the bottom of the pond. So I drop around 80 yards, miss my lob wedge just right of the green, putt from the fringe to 2 feet and make the 2-footer for my nifty little double bogey.

It was my only bad shot of the day, and turned my +3 round into a +5. I 3-putted the next hole for bogey, and 3-putted the 9th hole for bogey as well. But my mind was fried after that pitching wedge into the pond. I f'ing hat that 4th hole. It's short and tight and yeah, I've had my share of birdies and pars on that hole, but man, if you aren't careful that hole will be glad to help you card a bogey or worse, if you don't stay mentally sharp.

I should've shot like 74 or 75 today, but one f'ing fat pitching wedge sent me from leading my flight to 6th place. Yeah, the margin for error in tournament golf is that tight. It ain't for the faint of heart for sure.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Other than one hole (# 17) I played very well. I should have hit a 3 wood off the tee, but I decided to take driver and go over the trees and land inside the 100 yd. marker. Unfortunately, I missed going OVER the trees and went just to the right of them... which put me too long and in the other fairway behind another grove of trees, with no shot except to just knock it back in play.

I messed up the shot and chunked it to just beside a tree. I finally found the green after 4 shots. I then proceeded to 3 putt the hole. Oh well........... I still had a beer in the cooler.

Only one blow up hole, par 4 14th. 450 yards into a 15mph wing so playing about 470. Pushed my drive into the right rough, then had six iron in. Well, the six iron is where the excrement hit the spinning turbine. I flared/sliced into the right fescue. Had to lob it over a bunker onto about 3 paces of green. Chunked 2 feet into a worse lie in the fescue. Then hit a decent shot that rolled back into the bunker. Hit the bunker shot to six feet. Then, yup, you guessed it I missed the putt and carded a triple bogey 7. Rest of the back nine was good though, was only +1 the other 8 holes.

I didn't really have any blowup holes today, just a lot of poor shots that led to an 83.  Oh yeah, that 83 also included 2 birdies, both on good approaches to par 4's.  My problem today was our playing partners for the round; two nice guys, a good player and his dad.  However, the dad was playing his 3rd 18-hole round of golf... EVER!!  Every once in awhile he'd hit a decent shot, but most weren't very good.  That's not what fried my round.  It was the 30 seconds that he took after addressing the ball and before he hit it... on every full shot!  And he had a lot of them!!  If I had to guess, he shot around 130.  Normally, we would have said our goodbyes and played on ahead, but we stuck it out.  They really were very nice guys. I would say that it cost me 5 or 6 bogeys because I was trying to keep our group moving as fast as possible so I didn't take my usual time over my shots.  BTW, it was a 4 hour; 45 minute round.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Great thread Rev!

This one's easy.

We'd night 9 hole men's league. Only 3 rounds left to qualify for playoffs and I'm sitting one really good or two very good rounds away from making it.

9th (final hole). It's a tough driving hole with lots of water all the way up the right.

I hit a great drive that leaves me 101 out. A good 50 degree do me. A par here gives me a net 31 and likely first place and enough points to put me right on the playoff line. Plus $40 bucks pro shop credit.

I got over excited and pulled the wedge about 15 yards left of the green, left of the path and at the base of some trees.

At this point I'm happy with a bogey. My attempt at a soft wedge onto the green goes over onto the very top lip of a trap. Impossible stance.

I can't even describe the stance but it was one foot in bunker the other about 2 feet above it out of the bunker and I was choked down past the grip.

I managed to plop it onto the green somehow aboit 15 feet past the pin.

The bogey putt stopped two inches to the right of the cup. Tap in double.

I said to the others. That just cost me 1st place, some money and points.

Sure enough my net 33 was only good for 2nd....best out by MDGH!! And the points still left me 6 points out of the playoff.

But a similar round this week should put me in.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

#2 yesterday should have derailed my round. Pumped a 3 iron off the tee OB right as a mosquito bit my leg in the downswing. Hit three from the tee with a driver and wedge to a foot to salvage a 5. I have been working a lot lately on minimizing damage from bad swings. Made birdie on the next hole to get back to level for the round.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Yesterday on the back 9 - first day of club championship I was rocking it. Walking on to the 18 tee I had a 37 for the back 9 and thinking I'm going to have my best back 9 ever. I hit a beautiful drive - now I'm thinking this is really going to happen. Pulled out my 19* hybrid and proudly drove that ball into a tall bunker (buried lie in a tall 7' plus bunker). Several attempts later including going into a green side bunker and I walked off the hole carding a 9. I forgot how good that back 9 was and am just replaying that stupid bunker.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Two really round derailing holes for me today.   9th hole,  I drew the ball a little bit too much and was in the deep rough about 100 out over water.  Shot only made it about 80.  Ended up with a triple after a mediocre 4th that rolled back off a sloped green.   On the 17th hit one of the best drives on the hole I have ever hit.  About 150 out but pulled the next shot OB.  Dropped in same spot,  hit the ball over the green, chipped on and 2 putts for another triple. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I love triples, and to make it better, it only counts as a double to the handicap committee!

Equitable Stroke Control?

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

No one shot or poor decision will bring me down. But what will is just a general uneasiness with my game, a subtle lack of confidence. I won't often be able to tell on the first tee but for whatever reason, I will by my first approach into the green.

As a feel player, if I can't envision the shot and have a reasonable degree of confidence that I can pull it off, I'm toast.

I may still manage a decent score through scrambling but those are some darn draining rounds, LOL...

For the ones where score gets away from me due to a swing flaw, I just ride that bad wave to the end because I refuse to tinker with my swing mid-round. I may adjust set-up some, tee height, ball position, flight the ball lower, etc... but I won't attempt to change anything mechanically with my swing.

I've learned that that can set me off course for more than a few rounds, sometimes a good portion of the season.

I simply view it like I did basketball. Some days the jumper was spot-on and others it wasn't. On the days I was off, I just kept firing away. I've learned to treat golf much the same way, there's always tomorrow.

Yesterday on the back 9 - first day of club championship I was rocking it. Walking on to the 18 tee I had a 37 for the back 9 and thinking I'm going to have my best back 9 ever. I hit a beautiful drive - now I'm thinking this is really going to happen. Pulled out my 19* hybrid and proudly drove that ball into a tall bunker (buried lie in a tall 7' plus bunker). Several attempts later including going into a green side bunker and I walked off the hole carding a 9. I forgot how good that back 9 was and am just replaying that stupid bunker.

Had it all written down, didn't you?  The golf gods saw that!!  Got to forget those previous holes, and focus on that last hole... then add it all up.  Your mind was playing shots that your body hasn't cashed yet.  Next time!!   ;)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Dogleg right par 5. I pull a 4 iron because I want to 'play it smart'. Got too inside and hit a long draw just into the woods. Did not find it. Drop 2, hit 3 with a 5 iron to get down the hill and make up the distance....Topped...Luckily it was downhill so it rolls about 80 yds. Leaves me at about 140 to the middle of the green. Perfect...Pitching wedge with the ball below my feet. Chunked. A chip over a bunker from their and a 3 putt and well you guys can count....

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Nothing very specific, but I usually blow up early - in the first 3 or 4 holes. Then it's usually down hill. When I get through the first 3 or 4 holes at no worse than bogey I tend to have a decent round. At least until I begin to get fatigued a bit late on the back 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

Weekend round with some friends. I was playing pretty good and needed a par on the 9th to shoot 39 on the front (par 36, course slope 135) I hit a pretty good drive and was 115 out to a back left pin. I grab my 50*, with a slight wind behind i felt PW would have me flirting with the water over the green. Caught it fat and hit it short right which caught the front slope and ended up about 80 feet from the pin. 3 putted for a bogey and 40 on the front and finished with a 12 over 48 on the back keep thinking about what might have been had i hit a good 2nd shot on

Par 4 11th. 17 handicap hole. Tee shot in the middle of the fairway have 80 yards left. Just a smooth 58°. Welp, I decided to block it right and leave it having to chip over a rigde to a pin with a bunker long. I then proceeded to hit the chip into the bunker. Then three shots later, I walk off with a double bogey on a 300 yard par 4. After some choice words with myself I went on to play the next 5 holes in 6 over. There's always next time, I suppose.

Par 4 11th. 17 handicap hole. Tee shot in the middle of the fairway have 80 yards left. Just a smooth 58°. Welp, I decided to block it right and leave it having to chip over a rigde to a pin with a bunker long. I then proceeded to hit the chip into the bunker. Then three shots later, I walk off with a double bogey on a 300 yard par 4. After some choice words with myself I went on to play the next 5 holes in 6 over. There's always next time, I suppose.

I feel you, GB13.

One of the weird thing about golf is that so many players can tell virtually identical stories.

Bogeying or doubling a hole that the architect specifically designed as a birdie opportunity and then removing it from your head for the rest of your round is much harder than it should be for most of us. Certainly for me.

Our pars 5s at the club were all designed to give very average players a shot at a birdie and a high probability par.

Only one of them stretches to 500 even, and that one is steeply downhill from the tee

but with a perfectly flat (and generous) landing area,

and a green big enough for a softball game

that's also flat enough to play with a pool cue. 

If your drive barely dribbles to the flat spot and then you dead top your second, you still have the easiest par three on the course left to play. 

A six there makes you strongly consider looking for your bowling bowl and joining a summer league.  At least that's air conditioned.  And everybody's gonna make a six there sometime, right?

Archived