revkev

Round killing moment

No one shot or poor decision will bring me down. But what will is just a general uneasiness with my game, a subtle lack of confidence. I won't often be able to tell on the first tee but for whatever reason, I will by my first approach into the green.

As a feel player, if I can't envision the shot and have a reasonable degree of confidence that I can pull it off, I'm toast.

I may still manage a decent score through scrambling but those are some darn draining rounds, LOL...

For the ones where score gets away from me due to a swing flaw, I just ride that bad wave to the end because I refuse to tinker with my swing mid-round. I may adjust set-up some, tee height, ball position, flight the ball lower, etc... but I won't attempt to change anything mechanically with my swing.

I've learned that that can set me off course for more than a few rounds, sometimes a good portion of the season.

I simply view it like I did basketball. Some days the jumper was spot-on and others it wasn't. On the days I was off, I just kept firing away. I've learned to treat golf much the same way, there's always tomorrow.

• Like 1

Yesterday on the back 9 - first day of club championship I was rocking it. Walking on to the 18 tee I had a 37 for the back 9 and thinking I'm going to have my best back 9 ever. I hit a beautiful drive - now I'm thinking this is really going to happen. Pulled out my 19* hybrid and proudly drove that ball into a tall bunker (buried lie in a tall 7' plus bunker). Several attempts later including going into a green side bunker and I walked off the hole carding a 9. I forgot how good that back 9 was and am just replaying that stupid bunker.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Had it all written down, didn't you?  The golf gods saw that!!  Got to forget those previous holes, and focus on that last hole... then add it all up.  Your mind was playing shots that your body hasn't cashed yet.  Next time!!   ;)

• Like 1

Went to pick up my daughter who's a heavy 7.8 pounds boom there goes the back. Not sure if that counts as round killing but it definitely stopped me from golfing

Dogleg right par 5. I pull a 4 iron because I want to 'play it smart'. Got too inside and hit a long draw just into the woods. Did not find it. Drop 2, hit 3 with a 5 iron to get down the hill and make up the distance....Topped...Luckily it was downhill so it rolls about 80 yds. Leaves me at about 140 to the middle of the green. Perfect...Pitching wedge with the ball below my feet. Chunked. A chip over a bunker from their and a 3 putt and well you guys can count....

Nothing very specific, but I usually blow up early - in the first 3 or 4 holes. Then it's usually down hill. When I get through the first 3 or 4 holes at no worse than bogey I tend to have a decent round. At least until I begin to get fatigued a bit late on the back 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekend round with some friends. I was playing pretty good and needed a par on the 9th to shoot 39 on the front (par 36, course slope 135) I hit a pretty good drive and was 115 out to a back left pin. I grab my 50*, with a slight wind behind i felt PW would have me flirting with the water over the green. Caught it fat and hit it short right which caught the front slope and ended up about 80 feet from the pin. 3 putted for a bogey and 40 on the front and finished with a 12 over 48 on the back keep thinking about what might have been had i hit a good 2nd shot on

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Par 4 11th. 17 handicap hole. Tee shot in the middle of the fairway have 80 yards left. Just a smooth 58°. Welp, I decided to block it right and leave it having to chip over a rigde to a pin with a bunker long. I then proceeded to hit the chip into the bunker. Then three shots later, I walk off with a double bogey on a 300 yard par 4. After some choice words with myself I went on to play the next 5 holes in 6 over. There's always next time, I suppose.

• Like 1

Par 4 11th. 17 handicap hole. Tee shot in the middle of the fairway have 80 yards left. Just a smooth 58°. Welp, I decided to block it right and leave it having to chip over a rigde to a pin with a bunker long. I then proceeded to hit the chip into the bunker. Then three shots later, I walk off with a double bogey on a 300 yard par 4. After some choice words with myself I went on to play the next 5 holes in 6 over. There's always next time, I suppose.

I feel you, GB13.

One of the weird thing about golf is that so many players can tell virtually identical stories.

Bogeying or doubling a hole that the architect specifically designed as a birdie opportunity and then removing it from your head for the rest of your round is much harder than it should be for most of us. Certainly for me.

Our pars 5s at the club were all designed to give very average players a shot at a birdie and a high probability par.

Only one of them stretches to 500 even, and that one is steeply downhill from the tee

but with a perfectly flat (and generous) landing area,

and a green big enough for a softball game

that's also flat enough to play with a pool cue. 

If your drive barely dribbles to the flat spot and then you dead top your second, you still have the easiest par three on the course left to play. 

A six there makes you strongly consider looking for your bowling bowl and joining a summer league.  At least that's air conditioned.  And everybody's gonna make a six there sometime, right?

• Like 1

Par 4 at the turn took my jacket off since it was warming up and first 3w was a slice big time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

When I play in the winter months and I start to warm up, I want so badly to take the sweater off or the hat, but when my swing is good with all of the cold gear on, I feel like I have to leave it onfor fear of hitting some bad shots. So I get hit and sweaty just so I don't screw up the next shot

When I play in the winter months and I start to warm up, I want so badly to take the sweater off or the hat, but when my swing is good with all of the cold gear on, I feel like I have to leave it onfor fear of hitting some bad shots. So I get hit and sweaty just so I don't screw up the next shot

I contemplated putting it back on but then a hole later had my best 7i of the year then it all went blah again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

+2 at the turn, then pushed my drive right on 10. Instead of just chipping out to safety, I tried to get cute and clipped a branch and stayed in jail. Ended up with a double... boo-hoo

• Like 1

Well, it is always good when you can write in this thread, HOLE 1. Par 5 drive behind trees, good punch out, miss club over the green and right, chip to 30' and three putt for double. Fun hole.