Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Benefits of joining a Private Club

Big money

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always loved the private club atmosphere.And felt private clubs were more for the serious golfer.Lets here some of your thoughts

I've always thought private clubs were for the more affluent golfers. I'm not sure what being "more serious" about the game has to do with it?

That said.... if I had the means, I would probably be a member of a private club, just so I didn't have to deal with the overcrowding of the public courses.

The number one benefit of joining a private club is being able to afford doing so.

That's not meant to be sarcastic.

I don't really think there's much of a choice involved.

If you enjoy golf, and you're in a place in your life where you can afford to join a club, chances are that you WILL do it.

If you can't quite pull it off due to fiscal or other personal reasons, than you don't. There's nothing wrong with green fee golf.  That's how most people play I would guess.

I was in no position to join a club when I had a mortgage and two kids in private schools.

And that's when I was young and physically sound enough to have enjoyed it the most.

Now, I belong to a nice little club and can't play with my m-f-ing back.

It's a great way of keeping ‘rift raft' out.My parents raised me in a private golf setting.And I do all I can avoiding public golf atmospheres.Many public and municipal courses are closing their doors.And the private clubs are really striving.Which gives many the impression that golf is turning elitist again.That is fine by me, all this complaining about golf being over priced is driving me nuts.If you can't afford it, than don't blame others.Blame yourself

It's a great way of keeping ‘rift raft' out.My parents raised me in a private golf setting.And I do all I can avoiding public golf atmospheres.Many public and municipal courses are closing their doors.And the private clubs are really striving.Which gives many the impression that golf is turning elitist again.That is fine by me, all this complaining about golf being over priced is driving me nuts.If you can't afford it, than don't blame others.Blame yourself

Political statement worthy of morals code review.

I'm not really sure on the more serious player or not idea, but .. I would like to join a private club that has really good short game practice areas, and a range with lots of yardage markers. However..... the cost in my area is very high and hard for me to justify - especially with the initiation fees they ask.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Oh, and...

Will possibly join a club if and when we move out of this area. For example, we recently played a beautiful .. and challenging! .. private club up in Maine - for residents the full dues are $3,200 and the initiation is $5,000.

(ie. a FRACTION of what it is around here)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I'm not sure how to respond to that..... so I'll just walk away from this one.

I belong to a course that is , I guess a  hybrid. Semi-private would be the word. It's membership fee is fairly reasonable, and members get weekend perks, tee time perks and about 5-7 tournaments a year.(Men and Woman) I do not mind sharing with the public, since I truly believe that green fees keep the course at least even, and then memberships add to the rest. This course has been around for a long time and the public golfer treats it with as much respect, sorry to say sometimes more than the membership. If I was far richer,maybe or maybe not, I would join a full private club. But, that being said, I firmly believe that nation wide the Muni's are still are the engine that moves the game of golf. As far as the the post of being raised a member and always being a member, and being a member is the only game in town.I will not comment much, as politics and or something else will come into it. Will only say this about rift raft, I know many private club members could very easily slide into this column. As for Public Course rift raft, that kind of thinking would make programs like First Tee obsolete. That is a sad point of view and as far as talent goes, I know many . many golfers that play Public only and are scratch or better.  Lee Trevino or Calvin Peete also may have something to add about that train of thought. Golf isn't all champagne or caviar, its beer and hot dogs, used balls, and the boyhoods of Lee Trevino and Arnold Palmer's.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Driver   :bridgestone-small:     JGR 9.5 R Flex Adila 65        

3 Wood  :callaway-logo-1:            XR RFlex Fujikura Evolution

5 Wood :callaway-logo-1:            XR R Flex Project X 5.5                                     

7Wood  :adams-small:    Speedline LP R Flex Matix HD Radix 5.1                                                                                                           Irons      :bridgestone-small:   4 thru A Wedge  J-15 CB R Flex NS Pro                                                                                                             Wedges :cleveland-small:              56 CG 15                                                                                                                                                                           XE!                      65                                                                                                                                                                       Putter      :EVNROLL:         ER 5  Hatchback                                                                                                                                                Ball          :titelist-small:                 NXT Tour S                                                                                                                                      

I belong to a course that is , I guess a  hybrid. Semi-private would be the word. It's membership fee is fairly reasonable, and members get weekend perks, tee time perks and about 5-7 tournaments a year.(Men and Woman) I do not mind sharing with the public, since I truly believe that green fees keep the course at least even, and then memberships add to the rest. This course has been around for a long time and the public golfer treats it with as much respect, sorry to say sometimes more than the membership. If I was far richer,maybe or maybe not, I would join a full private club. But, that being said, I firmly believe that nation wide the Muni's are still are the engine that moves the game of golf. As far as the the post of being raised a member and always being a member, and being a member is the only game in town.I will not comment much, as politics and or something else will come into it. Will only say this about rift raft, I know many private club members could very easily slide into this column. As for Public Course rift raft, that kind of thinking would make programs like First Tee obsolete. That is a sad point of view and as far as talent goes, I know many . many golfers that play Public only and are scratch or better.  Lee Trevino or Calvin Peete also may have something to add about that train of thought. Golf isn't all champagne or caviar, its beer and hot dogs, used balls, and the boyhoods of Lee Trevino and Arnold Palmer's.

As he drops the mic. 

Thank you.

What's the definition of a "Serious Golfer"? I belong to a semi-private club with golfers who don't love the game any more or less than the guys I used to golf with at muni courses. They have more money and have adapted to a golf course community lifestyle, but that doesn't make them any more serious about golf. Are there better players here than at muni's? Some, but there are just as many people who hack the heck out of the place, like your's truly. 

Oh and that rift-raft comment. There are just as many scumbag rich people that I would not want to play with again. Not repairing fairway and green divots or raking traps aint just a poor man's muni problem!  

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

The biggest benefit is a less crowded course. We've recently joined a private club and there is much less play than on a public course so rounds are much quicker for me. Plus, we live right next to the course so the convenience is a big plus for me and my family. We can take the cart up to the pool, the gym, or the range.

Now, there is a fair amount of riff-raft at public courses that make a round less enjoyable, but at the same time there are plenty of narcissistic blowhards at private courses that don't fix ball marks, sand divots, and are generally a-holes that I don't want to play with either.

I've seen kids at our club pool, probably the kids of the guys mentioned above, leave their garbage and towels strewn all over the place because they expect the staff to clean up after them. I told my kids that if they ever do that they are finished at the club. You clean up after yourself and you treat the club and the staff with respect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I joined a club 3 weeks ago. $1000 for the rest of the year so it's not like it isn't an obtainable to most golfers. Benefits are playing whenever I want, people are great because it isn't too high end, pace of play, quality of play, practice if you want and access to a good pro. It is for profit so they always have something fun going on. Course is better than the public courses I played prior to joining. If I don't like it I don't pay the $3500 annual and I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Well I'll just ignore the snob comment from the private club only expert.

A private club for me is an experiment in social activities. I join a private club for the friendships you gain from seeing the same people all the time, most with the same vested interest in raising the positive spirits of those around me who are also members. Having a regular group of friends to tee it up with on a Saturday morning, for example is just a small part of the benefit of being a part of a private club. There are dinners, and events, and tournaments, holidays, parties, etc.

I've never been a member of a private club, but some of my fondest memories in golf were from the two years in a row where I played in my Dad's member-guest at his club. You spend 3 days playing the same group of guys, and golf is not really the most important part of the experience. And then when I would come back another time to play at the club I would have a dozen or more people I would run into that I had played golf with and we would pick up where we left off.

I've played all kinds of golf with all kinds of people in all sorts of clubs. When you join a private club, you are joining a group of people. And not to make this religious, but it's very similar to joining a church. Your choice in clubs or churches is a very similar decision. If you can find a private club where you get along really well with the other members you'll have a great experience. If you join a club that is a snobatorium then your experience will probably be diminished, unless of course you are the snob.

There are three private clubs in this town, and I've spent a fair amount of time at several of them, and have played the third one a number of times. I'm considering joining the one by my house because I know a fair number of members of that club from my Tuesday golf league. They are great guys, and all are salt of the earth, generous and humble. The other two clubs have members that come across as cliquish and won't embrace new members very easily. This is an extremely important impression to me, because if I join a club and can't get involved in some sort of regular game, I'd rather not waste my time with that club.

With regards to the “riff raff” (certain) people seem to despise at public courses, guard your comments if you would. Consider that every person playing this game is in a different place in life and with their game. Not everyone can break 100 or even 90. We all play golf for different reasons. I just spent this weekend playing in a tournament at the local muni that I am a part of. I met 7 of the nicest people I've played golf with in a long time, ranging in age from 14 to 60+, both black and white as well. I gave lots of encouragement to the 14 and 16 year old that are already better than me, and commiserated with the older guys who know that our time of keeping up with these “young studs” is limited and we just enjoyed the ride. The score was secondary.

But this is what public golf should be about; people and relationships. How will you ever grow as a human being if you lock the gates of your private club and give the rest of the world the middle finger because you think you are too good to associate with the “riff raff”? If you keep that attitude long enough you'll be old and alone and in a nursing home, where you'll have to depend on the “riff raff” to change your bedpan.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

I've played both privates and public's each season. For me, a private club membership just wouldn't be worth while. For one, I usually play less than 15 rounds a year. Some seasons even less. Buying a member ship would be a total waste for me . For an avid 150 plus round a years guy . Yes , would be worthwhile. And the “rift raft” comment is unfortunately true in class society thinking. Why many think country club types are “snobs”

Keep it in the short stuff

Wow - I'm fortunate enough to belong to a private club but I certainly don't think this way about it.

To each his own I suppose - life has been good to me - I'm not rich by any stretch but I make a reasonable living and people of means are very kind to their pastor as well - so I like to share my blessings with others when I'm able to. Anyone here is welcome to come and play Bayou with me if you're in my neck of the woods.

At the OP - the benefits of a club are faster rounds, a staff that knows you and your family and takes care of your needs and that of your guests. A pro shop that can arrange a game or a round on lots of courses that you wanted to play but couldn't or a round at another club where ever you are traveling. Normally a better course with better conditions, better practice facilities, practice balls, etc.

I enjoy my club. Several MGS guys have played with me there.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My club has 297 golf members. The first couple of groups I played with mentioned a douche bag list of 7 people that “you want to avoid”. I wonder if you're on it?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

When you join a private club, you are joining a group of people. And not to make this religious, but it's very similar to joining a church. Your choice in clubs or churches is a very similar decision. If you can find a private club where you get along really well with the other members you'll have a great experience. If you join a club that is a snobatorium then your experience will probably be diminished, unless of course you are the snob.

This was a big part of joining our club for us. We moved to this area 4 years ago and had no support network. Filling out emergency contact info for my kids school was literally my cell phone and my wife's, we had no one else if something happened to us. We are not church goers and being a stay-at-home dad most parents at school pickup are Moms, and they mostly ignored me and talked to other moms.

At our club we've met other families and are finally becoming part of a “community”. Three families we've really become close to quickly because our kids have been in each other's Class for the last 2 years but we never met as parents until we started seeing each other at the club pool.

The golf has really been secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I belong to a private club but our men's group also plays a different public course every week so a little bit of experience on both venues. I've found our members are just as friendly as the people I meet on public courses. But maybe it's just Midwest friendliness.

We joined the club because it makes sense from both a travel and cost standpoint. We live about 500 yds from the course with travel by golf cart to it. We also play a minimum of 100 rds a year including many times just running out in the evening for a quick 9. Obviously joining a club is not for everyone especially if you're raising a young family and are time constrained.

Other benefits: both my wife and I got to meet other golfers quickly through social/golfing events.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

The thing that pisses me off about it is that I am a serious golfer, and these hidden private gems sit there with their 200 members and get little play. I grew up around a bunch of them. I got a few invites, but the a-holes that ran them and on the course I wouldn't ever want to be a part of.

I plan on joining a club when I move, but it has to meet all of my needs. And none of them are meeting people to hang out with. Has to have a short game area, no buying crap in the pro shop as part of the deal.

I just want to be able to call and make a tee time and not worry about getting ran into. Probably too much to ask.

Edit: I found one if I lived back “home” it's $1600 for the summer and it checks all of my boxes. There is another for $2200 that would work to. But when you get up above 5k per year... it better be perfect 99.9% of the time.

Edit 2: the college course here charges $1200 plus carts, that's ridiculous since it's always slammed and in crap shape. For 3 months of golf.

One of the other benefits of private or semi private courses (at least in our area) is that you can play other private or semi private courses for nominal fees. For instance I can play at a private course 25 min away for just $25. Cart included. This reciprocity extends to several clubs throughout northwest Ohio - although the fees differ.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I loved to play, but I was never skilled enough to be a "serious golfer." 

I never even used the term, "golfer." 

I came up with "linkster" out of desperation.

I was told at an early age to never use golf as a verb. 

We played golf, we didn't golf. 

And for the love of God, we certainly didn't "go golfing."

The example I was given was tennis.

Since there are no tennisers, I was uncomfortable with the perfectly good word, "golfer,"

which is, of course, a noun, not a verb. 

Never mind that "bowlers" abound.

Thanks for screwing me up with that one, Unc.

OK, that tangent has run its course.

What I liked about belonging to a club was that a proletarian like myself could actually belong to a nice, little club,

even if he had to wait until retirement to do it, and play, in a club setting, with other questionable characters like himself while the younger, thinner wives were playing tennis or canasta at the club's more respectable areas. 

The real club people were at Andover and Indian Ridge and Vesper where I probably couldn't even get a job. 

But the rubber workers union had their annual outing at Andover and they would invite me to play because they'd skin me alive in the poker game after dinner.  The board members knew me from general AFL-CIO inter-union activities.

I'll bet the regular members looked forward to that day.

It's not even a member owned club  (ours, not Andover which is;  we're back on track again.) 

It's one of our many "legitimate businessman-owned" money laundering clubs. 

And while I can't imagine it making a dime, 

the property value goes steadily up for the owner until he eventually unloads it.

And since I've yapped this much about it, you understand why I can't name it.

Hey this has been quite a meandering post, I must admit. 

Even for me.

And all I've had is one glass of wine with the dinner that I didn't feel like cooking but my wife wouldn't let me go out for takeout.

Damn, I'm doing it again.

I've always been curious on what happens if the membership doesn't turn or to be ideal? For example, I've had a few golf buddies that joined a big private club and always played alone . No one would let them match up since they already had a weekend foursome. He said the open men's club new member socials were beyond slow golf. Do they have a clause in private clubs memberships that let you vest out of it? Or are you stuck for the duration ?

I've always been curious on what happens if the membership doesn't turn or to be ideal? For example, I've had a few golf buddies that joined a big private club and always played alone . No one would let them match up since they already had a weekend foursome. He said the open men's club new member socials were beyond slow golf. Do they have a clause in private clubs memberships that let you vest out of it? Or are you stuck for the duration ?

It all depends on the club. Some are member (equity) owned and others corporate. There are probably dozens or hundreds of variations of club contracts

I found the easiest way to integrate yourself is either through social events or leagues. On the latter I played as a sub for a couple of years before I found a permanent partner. Now I get calls all the time to golf.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

If you've already made a big initiation equity buy-in,  I can't imagine what you could do about that.

There are far too many places to play before I'd join a club just for the course without already having friends there.

Hell, I even want to know the kind of bands that they hire for the dinner dances.

Every club is different, as is every agreement with a new member. Some allow you to provide just 30 days notice to cancel a membership, and others have you sign a contract for a specific length time period, such as 12 months or 24 months. When you factor in initiation fees it can become more complicated. Some private clubs are owned by a single person, and others are owned by corporations, such as Club Corp.

It is wise when considering membership to read whatever membership agreement you are signing very thoroughly. Also, as a prospective member, I wouldn't sign anything that didn't allow for a 90 day trial period or something like that. That way you can try it out and see if it's a good fit for you before you buy.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

The thing that pisses me off about it is that I am a serious golfer, and these hidden private gems sit there with their 200 members and get little play. I grew up around a bunch of them. I got a few invites, but the a-holes that ran them and on the course I wouldn't ever want to be a part of.

I plan on joining a club when I move, but it has to meet all of my needs. And none of them are meeting people to hang out with. Has to have a short game area, no buying crap in the pro shop as part of the deal.

I just want to be able to call and make a tee time and not worry about getting ran into. Probably too much to ask.

Edit: I found one if I lived back “home” it's $1600 for the summer and it checks all of my boxes. There is another for $2200 that would work to. But when you get up above 5k per year... it better be perfect 99.9% of the time.

Edit 2: the college course here charges $1200 plus carts, that's ridiculous since it's always slammed and in crap shape. For 3 months of golf.

You and anyone else here have standing invitations at my club.

Thank you, as always, for your service.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good comments. It may look great on the outside. But once you experience a club, it might not be a good fit for you. Another buddy of mine was a train conductor and very financially sound. Just because of his blue collar background. He had a heck of a time getting in a group at the country club he belonged with. And if financial background or job status at a club doesn't matter . Than you are joking yourself. These places can be extremely cliquey. Paying member dues is only half the battle . And this can be smaller clubs all the way big high dollar facilities

Archived