Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Benefits of joining a Private Club

Big money

I can do that at my muni on certain days and certain times.  For example, my wife and I play every Thursday and Friday after she closes up her business at 5pm.  We can't play Monday - Wednesday because of leagues.  After spending time in the practice area, we usually play the front nine, but can go off #10 if people on on #1, assuming no one is coming off #9.  When we play the front nine, #2 green is near the clubhouse, and we have headed back to #1 if we played the first 2 holes particularly poorly.  The same is true for holes #10 and #11.  We had our two warmup holes, let's begin!

Interesting - I thought I was the only one. Our driving range is at the far end of the course. So after I'm done on the range I take the cart path back (not the one designated for the range) and play 8,9,10 & 11 before I go to the clubhouse.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting - I thought I was the only one. Our driving range is at the far end of the course. So after I'm done on the range I take the cart path back (not the one designated for the range) and play 8,9,10 & 11 before I go to the clubhouse.

Although my course is not private, I'm there most every day.  I know everyone that works in the pro shop, the cafe, the marshals, and several of the grounds crew.  They let me do most anything, which is nice.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Okay here are some pics:

IMG_1285.JPG

Locker room

IMG_1286.JPG

Men's sitting room (ladies is nicer)

IMG_1288.JPG

Clubhouse

IMG_1287.JPG

Putting green one

IMG_1280.JPG

Practice green two

IMG_1292.JPG

Practice green three

IMG_1281.JPG

Back range

IMG_1291.JPG

Front range

IMG_1283.JPG

Shower area

And on the range with me today was Matt who plays the West Coast mini tour. He was excited because he just made it through the qualifier that lets you into the Tour Monday qualifiers for the next season.

I asked him why he works at Bayou and his reply was simple - “It's a course and practice facility that lets me see as close to tour like conditions as possible particularly the length. The 450 yard par 4's here play longer than the 500 yarders I saw in North Carolina when I was qualifying.”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"The 450 yard par 4's here play longer than the 500 yarders I saw in North Carolina when I was qualifying.”

Any 500 yard par 4 is an obscenity and crime against nature.

So is a second 450 on a given course. One is merely a bad joke.

In my denomination, Rev, the architect would be formally classified as "irredeemable."

Very nice, rev. In my next life I'm going to take that vow of poverty!

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I'm an interloper - did a year as a special was going to leave when it went to full price but my congregation gifted me with a year for my 60 th birthday - I made sure that I hosted several big events and always tipped well - when it was time to leave I talked them into a clergy membership @150 per month, full run of the club - since then I've brought in two more large events during the summer when they are dead and have another one scheduled in December.

@nifty the architect is Tom Fazio - he's pretty good I hear - there are 5 par 4's over 450 if you're playing the tips - I have but don't - that gives me 5 in the 400-420 range - still very long down here in the summer when you get little to no roll. I can't reach any of those guys in 2 from the tips other than in the early spring down wind.

The guy I'm talking about is a touring pro, a hooters tour and Florida mini tour player. He has to play those yardage's because that's what pros do. If you want to play on tour you're seeing 500 yard par 4's nearly every week. He's a short knocker though - only 270 carry with the driver according to my voice caddy today -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was being facetious, of course,

but my (primarily tennis) club has

one five, two threes, and six fours on one side--

two fives, three threes, and only four fours on the other.

There is only one set of pristine field turf tees (one set for a reason but a long story)

with separate ratings for men and women.

The latter is very high,

but the indexes of male players always translate into higher road trip handicaps.

Of the three par FIVES, only one stretches to 500 even, and the drive is downhill!

Why I still belong is a question.

I enjoy having breakfast with the Dukes

and then reading the Globe out on the deck.

PS, that's The Boston Globe, not the supermarket tabloid!

Okay here are some pics:

IMG_1285.JPG

Locker room

IMG_1286.JPG

Men's sitting room (ladies is nicer)

IMG_1288.JPG

Clubhouse

IMG_1287.JPG

Putting green one

IMG_1280.JPG

Practice green two

IMG_1292.JPG

Practice green three

IMG_1281.JPG

Back range

IMG_1291.JPG

Front range

IMG_1283.JPG

Shower area

And on the range with me today was Matt who plays the West Coast mini tour. He was excited because he just made it through the qualifier that lets you into the Tour Monday qualifiers for the next season.

I asked him why he works at Bayou and his reply was simple - “It's a course and practice facility that lets me see as close to tour like conditions as possible particularly the length. The 450 yard par 4's here play longer than the 500 yarders I saw in North Carolina when I was qualifying.”

That is really nice, the locker room is bigger than my courses clubhouse.😁

I suppose with it being wet and at sea level those par 4's are beasts. That sounds fun to try, but not to play regularly.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Quite the elitist post if I do say so....

I caddied at 3 pretty high end courses... among other area courses for special events and such.... Money doesn't keep the "rift raft" out....

We've got high end courses dropping their upfront and monthly rates. What once was $75k and $800/m is now $10k (spread out over 5 years) and $600/m.... And that's over multiple places.

Some have just closed completely and sold off to developers.

Private courses are great if it fits what you're looking for. You pay a higher fee for fairly open tee sheets and scheduled events with all of be your fellow club members. You usually have nice amenities such as locker rooms, bag and shoe service, pools, tennis, gyms, etc.

But again, it's paying that extra fee.... And sometimes an assessment to make sure those club costs are fully covered. It's a balancing act for sure. Just depends on how important those things are to you.

It's a great way of keeping ‘rift raft' out.My parents raised me in a private golf setting.And I do all I can avoiding public golf atmospheres.Many public and municipal courses are closing their doors.And the private clubs are really striving.Which gives many the impression that golf is turning elitist again.That is fine by me, all this complaining about golf being over priced is driving me nuts.If you can't afford it, than don't blame others.Blame yourself

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I'll also say.... There's a guy always at my home course (a cheap Muni) that drives a Maserati. He's a member at an extremely high end course by us. A guy asked him one day.... "Why the heck are you here when you're a member over there?" The guy said "All my friends are here". Pretty powerful statement when thinking about joining a private club.

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Quite the elitist post if I do say so....

I caddied at 3 pretty high end courses... among other area courses for special events and such.... Money doesn't keep the "rift raft" out....

We've got high end courses dropping their upfront and monthly rates. What once was $75k and $800/m is now $10k (spread out over 5 years) and $600/m.... And that's over multiple places.

Some have just closed completely and sold off to developers.

Private courses are great if it fits what you're looking for. You pay a higher fee for fairly open tee sheets and scheduled events with all of be your fellow club members. You usually have nice amenities such as locker rooms, bag and shoe service, pools, tennis, gyms, etc.

But again, it's paying that extra fee.... And sometimes an assessment to make sure those club costs are fully covered. It's a balancing act for sure. Just depends on how important those things are to you.

How do you extol the benefits of a private club with out coming across as elitist? That's a serious question.

You have to pay the get the things listed above, that's the benefit to a private club.

I posted the pictures that I did to demonstrate what you get. I've been to enough private clubs to know that what Bayou offers is typical.

I guess this thread was destined to be like extolling the virtues of PXG clubs - controversial - hopefully the OP has enough info to go on -

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I wasn't saying your post sir. That was to Ott and his post. I enjoyed the pictures and information you posted. I'm not trying to offend or upset you in the least. And I'm definitely not a troll... Far from it.

How do you extol the benefits of a private club with out coming across as elitist? That's a serious question.

You have to pay the get the things listed above, that's the benefit to a private club.

I posted the pictures that I did to demonstrate what you get. I've been to enough private clubs to know that what Bayou offers is typical.

I guess this thread was destined to be like extolling the virtues of PXG clubs - controversial - hopefully the OP has enough info to go on -

It's funny. Growing up in a lower income, single parent household and not being on the same socio-economic level as the “country club kids” I never thought I'd be a member of a private club. But in actuality I've found my club to be more welcoming and less cliquey than the Girl Scout troop my daughter is in or even the elementary school for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

It's funny. Growing up in a lower income, single parent household and not being on the same socio-economic level as the “country club kids” I never thought I'd be a member of a private club. But in actuality I've found my club to be more welcoming and less cliquey than the Girl Scout troop my daughter is in or even the elementary school for that matter.

I know right. People at my club could care less about what you do or how much you make but go to the beach club and prepare yourself for all the one uppers you have to listen to.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Good points, d. 

It's just a matter of finding the right club for one's self at a time when one can afford it.

And even then, it's not for everybody, whether affording it is a consideration at all.

The non-member equity clubs can be a pretty good deal.

The member equity clubs will always be somewhat of a luxury.

Which is hard to understand in a way because the it's the former that are presumably  run for a profit. 

But I don't think that they really are. 

They're a very generous savings account, the "interest" being the land appreciation.

They just have to make enough money in the meantime to pay the bills.

I'll also say.... There's a guy always at my home course (a cheap Muni) that drives a Maserati. He's a member at an extremely high end course by us. A guy asked him one day.... "Why the heck are you here when you're a member over there?" The guy said "All my friends are here". Pretty powerful statement when thinking about joining a private club.

and that is all you need to know, honestly. I was a member at a club out of county, and played it every Saturday for about a year, always by myself. I dropped the membership because I could never get a game with anyone. While you can certainly play golf by yourself, I truly believe it's much more memorable when played with good friends, or even former strangers.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

and that is all you need to know, honestly. I was a member at a club out of county, and played it every Saturday for about a year, always by myself. I dropped the membership because I could never get a game with anyone. While you can certainly play golf by yourself, I truly believe it's much more memorable when played with good friends, or even former strangers.

Sent from my coral using MyGolfSpy mobile app

The 'thing' about clubs is that they are a social group organized around a sport - be it tennis, golf or boating. I didn't have any golfing friends at our club until I joined our men's league. Now in addition to our two league days I get calls all the time to play.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart