TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 IPCPR Observations & Musings

Headhammer

The 2018 International Premium Pipe & Cigar Retailers (IPCPR) show took place July 13th-17thin Las Vegas. For those unfamiliar, this is the annual show where cigar companies roll-out new products to owners of retail cigar stores. This is my annual list of observations and interesting cigars that were displayed. Having read every review, watched every video available and browsed every blog post my expectations for this year's show was about as expected.

Attendance: Depending upon whom you asked the number of attendees was up versus last year or it was down or there was some truth to both viewpoints. For the first time the IPCPR leadership announced some attendance figures for the show. The total number of attendees was up 3.3% and retailer badges issued (note this not actual attendance just retailers that requested badges in advance of the show) was up 6.6%. No daily attendance figures were provided, but most bloggers listed plenty of activity on day 1 with each day falling off considerably.

Trends/Observations: As expected with the FDA regulations still in limbo there were not a lot of new cigar releases. In order to generate buzz many manufacturers launched new sizes or new packaging of existing brands and some manufacturers decided to revive some long dead brands to skirt the FDA rules.

Sports celebrities continue to enter the world of cigars. Gary Sheffield, Mike Ditka & Big Papi have their own cigar brands and this year The Mailman, Karl Malone, has partnered with La Aurora cigars to launch the Karl Malone Barrel Aged Cigar.

While the last few year's trends have focused on larger ring cigars, this year was all about “aged tobacco”. Many companies were touting cigars made with 10, 15 and 20 year old tobacco. Most notably General Cigar rolled out the Cohiba Spectre, a stick using 23-year old tobacco that will retail for $90 each!! For a non-Cuban that's pretty rare air and something that is bound to get a snicker from most educated puffers.

Tatuaje, a brand I'm a huge fan of, showed a prototype cigar called Gran Tatuaje. While no price was provided, owner Pete Johnson stated the cost will be north of $50. While I love a great cigar, the ultra expensive have rarely lived up to the hype.

And in the craziest thing from the show category La Aurora launched a 20” x 80 RG cigar as part of a $500 humidor collection.

Cigars: Below is my annual list of “want to try” sticks from the show.

Drew Estates Liga Privada 10-Year Anniversario

Tatuaje The Bride

Tatuaje 15th Anniversary

Bespoke Daughters Of The Wind Salomones

Casa Ferndez Anniversario Perfecto

Southern Draw Cedrus Belicoso

Warped Las Relatos

Jeremy Jack JJ14 Lancero

Pier 28 Oscuro Figurado

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the Stravaganza size (20x80) has been around a while, so it's not new, and def intended to be an oddity. The Hors d'Age humidors though did sell very well and will be shipping soon. Spectacular cigar, the La Aurora Hors d'Age... in the traditional size. I can't speak for the Stravaganza lol 

Ping G400 9.5
Callaway XR16 4W

Callaway Rogue 3H, 4H, 5H

Callaway Rogue 6-P

Callaway Forged 50, 54, 58

Odyssey 7S 

Archived