Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driver/club recommendations

NGage

So this year, I've had my most successful golf season ever. I've actually won around $1600 of credit, and I'm going to get some new irons and a new driver. Don't really need anything, love my current stuff....but gotta get something, and I figured I'd go ahead and get some new irons with the new grooves in case I want to play in any upcoming USGA stuff. Also, I've not been totally satisfied with my driver situation for the last 2-3 years, so I figured this would be the time to get some new equipment.

What do you guys think? What do ya recommend? Throw some ideas out there. For info, I'm currently a 6 index, normally play a straight to a draw ball flight, am a 1 plane swing student, not the best ball striker but am a good scrambler. This season I set two new personal bests, and both of them came in competition. One was in the city amateur championship (74, at the time a new competitive best) and the other was in my club's match play (a 71, now my all time best). My current clubs are Callaway X-Forged (the original model), and my driver is a SMT 455 Deep bore with an x-stiff Aldila NV65 (got it from the Sr Tour van when they played my club). I just got fit yesterday for the first time ever, and the guy fit me for 1/2 inch long KBS Tour, stiff flex in my irons....and a driver shaft of 260-265 cpm's at 45" and 60-75 gram shaft.

Be happy to hear some thoughts/suggestions.

I haven't heard too many bad things about the Deep Bore... so maybe just buy another? You know, the whole "If it ain't broke" thing. Maybe get fit this time (if you didn't before) for it and see what happens.

Good idea, though, for getting current-groove irons. That's something that really seperates the Pros from the Joes- practice time. If you get irons and wedges, you'll have PLENTY of practice time with them for next season.

Archived