Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Mabye switching to graphite

Bosox04

A Titleist fitter recommended AP1 irons with a Kuro Kage 85 stiff shaft simply as a way to reduce wear and tear on my body. I am also considering Ping G400s with their stock graphite shaft. I've been a Ping guy since the mid 80s, so I'm kind of leaning that way. I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with recommendations? Thanks

Graphite will take some strain off you body. They will feel "softer" at impact.

Personally, I would go with the Pings but that is just me. I would get which ever you play better with.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Graphite will take some strain off you body. They will feel "softer" at impact.

Personally, I would go with the Pings but that is just me. I would get which ever you play better with.

I'm leaning towards the Pings. I like the Titleist AP1s, but I don't like the two gap wedge set up.

I'm a Ping guy so I'm biased.

Graphite can be made to perform however you'd like. Steel fibers (which I have in my G30's) won on tour this past weekend.

I've been in graphite since I turned 50 and would never go back.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm a Ping guy so I'm biased.

Graphite can be made to perform however you'd like. Steel fibers (which I have in my G30's) won on tour this past weekend.

I'm probably going stock, or shafts with no upcharge. I've heard good things about the steel fibers, but I'd have to put them in my old clubs rather than buying new clubs.

Recoil prototype 95 in regular. I play stiff as well. I got fitted last week and am changing to these Recoils. All the benefits of graphite and the total playability of steel. I can't say enough about these shafts except to go and swing one on a range for a bucket if you have that ability. I think u would be sold as well.

~ Titleist 915 9.5* A1 Fujikura Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff

~ Titleist 917 15* B1 Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6 SR

~ Titleist 818 H1 19* A1 Project X EvenFlow Blue 70 Stiff

~ Titleist 816 H1 21* A1 Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana D+90 Stiff

~ Srixon 565 Forged 5-PW Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 Regular +1/2"

~ Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48*, 52*, 56* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 T105

~ Cleveland #6 CS 33 1/2â€

SRIXON, The best iron know one know’s about

Will i have tried SF, and revoil smacwrap, and px graphite's and now i have accra 100i and I'm in love, it's amazing how great/smooth/buttery they feel and are like darts , those SF were baordier felling than steel and the recoils were too springy,px was not really bad at all just not alot of feedback but stable and then the accras, did i say i was in love, lol

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Lemme paste what I wrote about my graphite Steel fibers this morning in the “Shafts” thread.

Quick summary- graphite shafts are cool....

Annnnnd, they are much easier on my elbows, one of which is all tore up, awaiting platelets rich plasma injections in a last ditch effort to avoid another surgery

I forgot to add, my new (to me, but lightly used) irons were not fit to me, but were expensively fit to their previous owner.

I'm not a shaft guy, and have never been “fit”for shafts, other than the guys at whatever golf store Telling me I need “stiff” shafts.

My driver was fit though, by mapping about 10 shots each, with about 6 different shafts.

And it's been a beast since birth but I digress...

As I said my irons weren't fit to me, but, they're a great fit, purely by luck.

They are the Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw's

Now what's interesting about these irons is that they are a full matching set.

When I say full, I mean 4,5,6,7,8,9,PW, W, 54°,58°

That's 10 irons with all the same matching shaft, and they're all gapped accordingly too.

So it just happens by the grace of God that they're perfect for me , and I get a lot of comments from my friends about the ball flight looking so “majestic” and blah blah blah....

But no irons in my past have ever flown so well nor been so effortless to swing and hit.

So yes I was very Lucky to acquire these clubs with these shafts.

But it's clearly obvious that the shafts are a HUGE part of these magical stix. My hdcp has dropped significantly since I got these, as well as getting my fitted driver.

Final analysis :

Shafts are the engine that drives the car. If you're super serious about getting your scores down, and have some serious bank (because I'm guessing my irons cost the original buyer quite the pretty penny), then I would wade into the fitting pool.

And while you're at it, do the same rundown on iron heads. Because there is another rabbit hole to go down!

Gitter done!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Recoil prototype 95 in regular. I play stiff as well. I got fitted last week and am changing to these Recoils. All the benefits of graphite and the total playability of steel. I can't say enough about these shafts except to go and swing one on a range for a bucket if you have that ability. I think u would be sold as well.

He's right recoils are great.

I have one in my two iron so I can swing it quicker and it is a great shaft. Solid through the air but soft on impact. For a low upcharge option these would be my picks.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I have 2 W/S sets, one in graphite (Elements Chrome) and one in steel, and I absolutely love the graphites. I'm adjusting to the newer steel shafted set since they're lighter (KBS Tour 80) and I like them, but I still prefer the graphites overall for feel & weight. I may even have a fitter swap the shafts for me at some point this winter during the off-season here in MA.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Graphite is definitely going to save the joints from gettin beat up from playing/practicing golf.

Like anything with clubs and shafts in golf it's best to get fit because the feel and performance changes from shaft to shaft and brand to brand. If considering the g400s I would find a place to get fit for them and try the various graphite offerings they have. I dont recall if the steelfiber are offered but I know the Recoil with smacwrap are as well as whatever ping has for their stock graphite which is made by one of a few companies so it's s good or better than the other offerings

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

... Right there with you. Reluctantly switched to Aldila NV Tour 130gm graphite shafts when I had a severe case of elbow tendonitis. I was shocked to find they were even better than DGS300's I had been playing. Since I have played NV Pro 105's, VS Proto 100's, Steelfiber 95's, Recoil 95/110's and Recoil Prototype 95's that are in my P790's now. 

... are all different of course but for me at least, 95gms is the lowest weight I can play without effecting my tempo. I tried a set of VS Proto 85's and they were just too light for my swing. I am hanging on to them though, as sooner or later my swing speed will drop and I will give them another shot. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Tried a demo of Titleist AP1 with a stiff Kuro Kage shaft today, and decided I'm not ready for graphite, yet. Prefer the feel of steel.

... Not sure which KK's you hit but don't let a 65gm or even 85gm graphite iron shaft color your opinion about graphite. The wonderful thing about graphite in irons is they can make any performance characteristics you want from insanely stout to very flexible, stiff tipped to soft tipped and of course those needing more clubhead speed, especially older golfers that have lost strength, a light weight graphite shaft can be a real godsend. And on the other end of the spectrum, stronger golfers can find heavier graphite iron shafts from 95 to 125 that are every bit as heavy and accurate as steel (in some cases more accurate). Obviously there is nothing wrong with steel iron shafts of course, other than the wear on the body depending on how much you play. 6 weeks playing every day but 2 this past spring in Phoenix, my joints really appreciated the Recoil 95 Prototypes in my P790's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I just recently switched shafts to steelfiber i80s and they perform great and really do feel smooth and soft.  Highly recommend them but they are kind of pricey unfortunately.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Archived