PPOPHIL

Callaway Rogue Driver

This spring I went driver shopping over multiple weekends and tested all the new ping drivers, all the m 1-4 series from taylormade, cobra, Cleveland , Srixon and both Rogue draw and regular,  I think I hit 14 different drives over the course of a month and kept coming back to the rogue.

a bit about my game, I am a mid to high handicapper with swing speed under 95 mph , playing the reg flex shaft. I have the setup currently on draw +1  at 11.5 loft. During testing the Rogue draw out distanced and helped correct my left handed slice to where my drives are mostly center to center left  in the short grass and findable, still with the odd miss hit.   I attribute a lot of my improvement this year to being able to have a lot of par 4s be driver short iron (7-pw) and not driver 4/5 or chip back into the fairway.

Thanks for the reply, Here's my Rogue story, please bear with me. First I'm a 7.7 handicap with the Rouge Draw set to standard and +1 loft bringing it to 11.5. For the past 13 years I have been hitting the Great Big Bertha II 9 degrees. I natural hit a low ball. Two years ago I went to the PGASUPERSTORE at the egging of my friends (who always said I was to good of a player to be hitting such an old club and I responded "it's not the arrow it's the Indian). The instructor said I would benefit from. A higher ball flight, so I found the same GBB II with 10 degrees on eBay for $36. Finally took the plunge and got fitted a local reputable golf shop and bought the Rouge Draw D-0 swing weight 1 inch short (44.5). Played a couple of rounds with it set to the drawer and that 10 and a half degrees and just was not impressed with it. Definitely lost some length 10 to 15 yards and still missing on my poor swings to the right. So I wanted to give it more of a chance and I played another two to three rounds with the same results. So I increase the Loft + 1 and set the draw to neutral or standard and my last round definitely improved not so much with distance, I guess the one in Short is taking its toll on distance, just thought today's clubs would be so much better and in my opinion they aren't especially for the money

• Like 2

I was contemplating on trading my Epic head for a Rouge one in the spring. I went to a local pro shop where the pro was a Callaway dealer. He told me the Rouges were not as good as the Epics. He said they just didn't have the “pop” the Epics had. Long story short he talked me out of giving him my head and money. So.......there must be something to it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm really pleased with mine, I have the sub zero in both driver and 3-wood. Had to adjust to it switching from a Nike Vapor but once I did it's been smooth sailing. Some equipment fits people easy others not so much, I can't hit the f7 or f8 to save my life...

What shaft do you have in it? That, of course, is a huge factor in your "feel" of any driver.

I was contemplating on trading my Epic head for a Rouge one in the spring. I went to a local pro shop where the pro was a Callaway dealer. He told me the Rouges were not as good as the Epics. He said they just didn't have the “pop” the Epics had. Long story short he talked me out of giving him my head and money. So.......there must be something to it.

I would agree with him, the Rouge just doesn't have any POP. My 13 year old driver has more POP. It is more forgiving ( a larger sweet spot) but the ball just doesn't go anywhere. Oh one more thing, it sounds terrible, like hitting a plastic bucket.

I agree of what you said about the shaft being a huge Factor, the right shaft is everything. It's Aldila Synergy Stiff 50G

• Like 1

"Rouge Draw D-0 swing weight 1 inch short (44.5)."

This is a massive red flag to me and the fitter (if you had one) should have added weight to the head to compensate for the shaft being shortened an inch. Wouldn't be surprised to see this being a bit lower than your previous GBB and it doesn't surprise me that you have lost some distance. A little more head weight should help raise your ball speed and subsequently your distance. 

... I don't actually feel bad for OEM's but sometimes I certainly understand how difficult it is to design a club that appeals to  gofers today concerning looks and feel. I played the Epic last season and loved the sound/feel that is very dense with a deep thud. Callaway got hammered for producing a driver that felt "dead" to many younger players that never hit a persimmon driver. So the Rogue and SZ has a more explosive sound/feel that of course I do not care for.

... Obviously personal experience can find one driver longer or more forgiving than another and for a myriad of reasons, but technically the Rogue is an improvement compared to the Epic. The trouble in paradise comes when those improvements are not only subtle, as in 1.2 yds longer and 128 rpm's in reduced spin when hit by a robot, those improvements do not always translate to a better driver for many when used in the real world. The difference in sound/feel alone is enough to give me more confidence in my Epic than my Rogue SZ, and confidence leads to better swings which leads to better performance. Even hitting a great drive that feels/sounds bad can cause a lack of confidence. There are just so many really good drivers out right now and imo there is not one OEM producing a superior driver to another. Give me 100 golfers hitting the new F8, M4, Rogue and G400 and I would not be surprised to find around 25 different people picking each one as their favorite. The Rogue is very good but will it not fit everyone. I prefer the Cobra F8 and have my Rogue SZ for sale because even though I have hit drives as long and accurate as my F8, the Rogue is just not as consistent for me, and no doubt personal preference plays a role in that performance. 

• Like 3

Give me 100 golfers hitting the new F8, M4, Rogue and G400 and I would not be surprised to find around 25 different people picking each one as their favorite.

The 917D2 is pissed at not getting a plug, chisag.

• Like 1

Didn't like the feel/sound if the epic and hated the rogue even more. The titleist 917 outperformed both for me and the ping g400 outperformed that.

Imo Callaway drivers have gotten worse nice the gbb

• Like 1

I have never liked the feel of Callaway drivers. They have always been very hard feeling. Every time I have hit a Callaway driver, it has sent a jolt through me.

I have the Sub Zero model, and I love it. That being said, I also hit the regular model that same day, and was consistently 20 yards shorter with it than I was with the Sub Zero.

... I don't actually feel bad for OEM's but sometimes I certainly understand how difficult it is to design a club that appeals to  gofers today concerning looks and feel. I played the Epic last season and loved the sound/feel that is very dense with a deep thud. Callaway got hammered for producing a driver that felt "dead" to many younger players that never hit a persimmon driver. So the Rogue and SZ has a more explosive sound/feel that of course I do not care for.

I would agree with this description- I used the Epic pretty extensively, but it felt pretty dead, that's just the jailbreak tech working. 

There is a lot of good stuff out there, but to the OP- from your brief description , it sounds like a sub par fitting. There might be life in that driver, but it may not have been fit properly. 

This is a massive red flag to me and the fitter (if you had one) should have added weight to the head to compensate for the shaft being shortened an inch. Wouldn't be surprised to see this being a bit lower than your previous GBB and it doesn't surprise me that you have lost some distance. A little more head weight should help raise your ball speed and subsequently your distance.

Thanks for the advice. My fitter suggested a D-0 swing weight. The club was ordered with the specs on the order form. I am going have the club checked for weight at my PGA superstore. If it is off can they add wight?