TESTERS WANTED! ×

Callaway Rogue Driver

PPOPHIL

I was really hitting the Rogue well when I decided to trade it in towards an Epic Flash...may have been a mistake as my driving has not been the same.

CA / 13.8 HDCP

Driver :taylormade-small: M3 9.5* with 44" Mitsubishi Tensei blue stiff shaft

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 3 hybrid 18* UST Mamiya Recoil ES 780 graphite stiff

:callaway-small: Apex 19 5-AW with True Temper Elevate 95 stiff shafts

:titelist-small: SM6 54* and 58* wedges

:ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne Stealth 35"

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V One

I've been thinking about trying out the Rogue by finding someone with it to demo or the callaway pre-owned store with its return policy.

I currently game a G30, and have hit a 917 D2 in a sim and found the draw bias to be helpful.  I usually play a 10-12 yard cut, but do also hit a straight ball often.  The D2 feels nice and I am able to turn the ball over more than the G30 (both STD settings).  Not sure if this is because the G30 is about 1/2 inch longer, or because the Rogue MAX shaft is a little heavier than the Tour 65, or something else.  But I noticed the Rogue seems to have the same draw bias as the Epic in the draw postion (from the MGS Driver CG Lab report).  Unfortunately the G30 isn't on that chart, but compared to other PING offerings it seems they tend to be a little neutral to fade biased.

I also want to swing the Cobra F8 more (my buddy has one), and demo the F9, Flash, and probably TS2/3 as well.  

Anyone have any experience versus this and the G30 or 917 D2?

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I had a Rogue SZ in my bag last year, absolute pound machine.  It was an easy 7-10 yards longer than my M3, but it's not as forgiving.  It punished my bad swings much more than my M3.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 1 month later...

I was fit into a Rogue SZ this past winter and, coming from an M1, I'm finding it more forgiving.   When hit in the sweet spot there is almost no feeling at impact (like when hitting blades absolutely perfectly) but if you miss a bit, the driver is somewhat loud --- however distance doesn't suffer too much.   I gained about 10 yards this year going to the SZ with a GD AD GP shaft.  

At address it it does appear to have a bit of a draw bias but that could just be me.  

I was fit into a Rogue SZ this past winter and, coming from an M1, I'm finding it more forgiving.   When hit in the sweet spot there is almost no feeling at impact (like when hitting blades absolutely perfectly) but if you miss a bit, the driver is somewhat loud --- however distance doesn't suffer too much.   I gained about 10 yards this year going to the SZ with a GD AD GP shaft.  

At address it it does appear to have a bit of a draw bias but that could just be me.  

Got to hit one a few times. (Both regular and sub zero) it’s a good feeling and sounding driver. Early testing says it might be a good fit for me especially considering the price against my other favorite right now the cobra f9. A few more days of testing should lock it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

• 3 weeks later...

I was chatting with an older gentleman at the range, and he had last year's Rogue. Let me swing a few on it and boy was it hot. Granted I'm playing an R9 SuperTri, so just a few seasons old 😬.

The price of new drivers has always just kept me away, telling myself the technology hasn't improved that much, but I think I was proven wrong. 5 swings on the Rogue had me probably 10-15 yds further, and a noticeably tighter dispersion.

Now I just gotta figure out when I'm gonna be able to make all these club upgrades. 🤔

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

I was chatting with an older gentleman at the range, and he had last year's Rogue. Let me swing a few on it and boy was it hot. Granted I'm playing an R9 SuperTri, so just a few seasons old .
The price of new drivers has always just kept me away, telling myself the technology hasn't improved that much, but I think I was proven wrong. 5 swings on the Rogue had me probably 10-15 yds further, and a noticeably tighter dispersion.
Now I just gotta figure out when I'm gonna be able to make all these club upgrades.

You can get some used rogues for $150-200 ish on Callaway pre owned right now. They keep going between 20-30% off. It’s VERY tempting. I missed out on a 10.5 degree rogue with a evenflow black that was 1/2 inch short. I couldn’t get to checkout fast enough!

I was chatting with an older gentleman at the range, and he had last year's Rogue. Let me swing a few on it and boy was it hot. Granted I'm playing an R9 SuperTri, so just a few seasons old .
Now I just gotta figure out when I'm gonna be able to make all these club upgrades.

Also forgot to mention I had an R9 super tri before I got the G30 I’m currently using! That was a special driver!

59 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Also forgot to mention I had an R9 super tri before I got the G30 I’m currently using! That was a special driver!

Yeah, it's been good to me! Although if the Rogue was any indication, it appears that the current drivers are certainly a cut above...

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, Larryd3 said:

I really wanted to like the Rogue but I demo'd several and switched shafts around and never found one that I could hit consistently or that felt right to me.  I ended up with an M4 and for me it's much better feeling and performing.  I honestly liked my 915D2 better than any of the Rogues that I hit.  I imagine if I would have had more shafts to try in the Rogue, I could have found one that worked for me but I'm just not that patient and don't have enough access to different shafts to try out.  

The Rogue I tried was not my cup of tea either.  Something had to be wrong with it, maybe it got banged up during shipping but it was not good for me. Frankly I think the light weight shaft that came with it from Callaway Preowned was not a good fit for me.  I failed to go with an old standby shaft that I know works well with my swing. So I'm putting the failure on my ignorance with shaft/head relationships.   I knew right away from the first swing that something was terribly wrong. I tried it for a full round and it was not a good day. I pulled out my old Cally XR16 and BOOM, like a buzzard on fresh road kill I was all over it smashing solid drives again. 

UST Mamiya Recoil - 440-ES

https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/recoil/recoil-440-es-wood/

On 4/13/2019 at 9:38 AM, jjfcpa said:

I've been playing the Rogue Draw 10.5 for the last year.  Really happy with it, but I didn't really have anything to compare it to.  

Demographics - 71 years old with about a 12 handicap.

I decided to purchase a Tour Edge EXS driver with a senior shaft and cut down to 44", same as my Rogue.  I've only played 9 holes with it so far, but it was much longer and much easier to control than the Rogue.  I played a course that I know really well and can pretty much pin point where my drives should land.  The EXS was beyond that point on every drive.  Not only that, I was getting a nice straight and medium height flight on every drive.  

I also noticed that the next day I did not feel the normal soreness in my lower back.  Just seemed like the EXS was less stressful to swing hard with.  At $ 299 it's a big boy driver with a little boy price. 

I've never tried a Tour Edge anything so this sounds like a fun driver.  I have two drivers that are nip & tuck as far as my choice goes.  My Cally XR16 & my Ping G400 Max are keepers.  Maybe I can put the perfect driver search to rest. 😉

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Here's my experience. I went from an Epic (standard) to Epic SZ and gained about 10 yds. When the SZ developed a crack, Callaway let me replace it with a Rogue Draw, which instantly seemed to come up much shorter, like 20 yds less on similar good hits. Very strange. 

Swapping the Rogue Draw for a Rogue SZ. I think the SZ low spin must just work better for my spin and other reviewers seem to get consistently more distance from the Rogue SZ than the Epic SZ. We'll see!

• 1 month later...

Two months ago I switched form a Rouge to the new Ben Hogan driver as I needed to find more fairways.  The Rouge was longer if you hit dead center by at least 10 yards or more.  But dead center was my driving range drive...I also wanted to switch to a regular shaft which when I tried three different ones in the Rouge did not work for me...I was happy to give up some yardage with the Hogan driver but it works very well with a regular shaft for finding a place you can hit a second shot from.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, ole gray said:

The Rogue I tried was not my cup of tea either.  Something had to be wrong with it, maybe it got banged up during shipping but it was not good for me. Frankly I think the light weight shaft that came with it from Callaway Preowned was not a good fit for me.  I failed to go with an old standby shaft that I know works well with my swing. So I'm putting the failure on my ignorance with shaft/head relationships.   I knew right away from the first swing that something was terribly wrong. I tried it for a full round and it was not a good day. I pulled out my old Cally XR16 and BOOM, like a buzzard on fresh road kill I was all over it smashing solid drives again. 

UST Mamiya Recoil - 440-ES

https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/recoil/recoil-440-es-wood/

I've never tried a Tour Edge anything so this sounds like a fun driver.  I have two drivers that are nip & tuck as far as my choice goes.  My Cally XR16 & my Ping G400 Max are keepers.  Maybe I can put the perfect driver search to rest. 

I always like to read your thoughts on clubs.

We're both "seniors", and from what I can gather our games must be fairly similar. We both switched from the Steelhead irons to an even more distance friendly set, We both go from 3 to 5 (you're welcome, lol) with our hybrids.

I love my G400 Max, but I've had the itch for something different. I recently tried the original Epic (meh), then last month when they came on CPO the new Epic Flash. For some reason when I took it to the range, I could barely get it airborne. I never hit a driver so poorly as I did that one. I literally returned it within 2 hours of when it was delivered.

I swore after that I was sticking with my PING, at least until the '20 releases. Oh well, this morning I bought a 9* Rogue in Outlet condition (that's new, they just can't say it) for $206 on CPO. I've never hit a Rogue driver, have no idea how it'll compare to my 400 Max, but for the price, I just had to scratch that itch again. 😉

I'm trying to convince myself that since I like the Rogue 3 wood,  hybrids and irons, I'll love the driver also.... stay tuned.

Edited by Grand Stranded

Driver:          :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:      :ping-small: G425 Max 14*5* & 17.5*

Hybrids:      :ping-small: G425 Max 22* & 26*

Irons:           :callaway-small: Apex DCB 6-AW

Wedges:      :callaway-small: Jaws Raw Face 54-10

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 58-6

Putter:         :EVNROLL:  ER7  34”

We're both "seniors", and from what I can gather our games must be fairly similar. We both switched from the Steelhead irons to an even more distance friendly set, We both go from 3 to 5 (you're welcome, lol) with our hybrids.
I love my G400 Max, but I've had the itch for something different. I recently tried the original Epic (meh), then last month when they came on CPO the new Epic Flash. For some reason when I took it to the range, I could barely get it airborne. I never hit a driver so poorly as I did that one. I literally returned it within 2 hours of when it was delivered.
I swore after that I was sticking with my PING, at least until the '20 releases. Oh well, this morning I bought a 9* Rogue in Outlet condition (that's new, they just can't say it) for $206 on CPO. I've never hit a Rogue driver, have no idea how it'll compare to my 400 Max, but for the price, I just had to scratch that itch again. 
I'm trying to convince myself that since I like the Rogue 3 wood,  hybrids and irons, I'll love the driver also.... stay tuned.

I hope you love it 🥰

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

4 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I swore after that I was sticking with my PING, at least until the '20 releases. Oh well, this morning I bought a 9* Rogue in Outlet condition (that's new, they just can't say it) for $206 on CPO. I've never hit a Rogue driver, have no idea how it'll compare to my 400 Max, but for the price, I just had to scratch that itch again. 😉

I played Cobra prior to Ping G400 Max. I still have my Max, however, this year after a new fitting I'm playing the Rogue and it's the best, most consistent driver head and shaft combo I've ever had. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I am. Cheers !

~ ward ~

Driver: Callaway B21 9.5 Degrees. Graphite Design XC6 S Flex 43.5" Length. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / 3-Wood: Cobra F7 @ 16 Degrees / Aldila MSI 95 70g 3.3 Stiff. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Hybrid: Callway BB Alpha 815 @ 20 Degrees / Speeder 865 Shaft / Irons: Srixon z785. Modus NS Pro 120 (Stiff). Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap / Wedges: Titleist Vokey - SM5 F Grind 50 degree (-1 degree) 08 Degrees of Bounce (-1 degree), SM5 S Grind 54 degree (-1 degree) 10 Degrees of Bounce, SM5 M Grind 58 degree 08 Degrees of Bounce. Golf Pride CP2 MidSize Wrap.

Putter: Odyssey.

Golf Ball: Srixon Z Star.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C130.
Carry Bag: Big Max.

18 minutes ago, ward said:

I played Cobra prior to Ping G400 Max. I still have my Max, however, this year after a new fitting I'm playing the Rogue and it's the best, most consistent driver head and shaft combo I've ever had. Hopefully you'll enjoy it as much as I am. Cheers !

Thanks! I'm going to hold onto my PING Max also. It's been great for me.

You'd better not try the new 410 otherwise you'll be quickly parting with even more cash.

I had a GBB that was ok but the 410 that I tested....well my only reaction was.........OMG!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

15 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

When you're ready to move on to something even better than the G400 Max---hard to believe I know---reach out to me, I've got a G410 SFT 10.5 that I will be putting up sometime soon for a very good price. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

This is an interesting conversation - glad I popped in -

There is a very different theory in COG placement between Callaway and Ping - for that reason I would expect exactly what I'm reading here - Guys who hit Ping drivers well off the rack are not likely to have similar results from Callaway off the rack - a good fitting could take care of that if for some reason you really wanted to game Callaway or vis a versa.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

When you're ready to move on to something even better than the G400 Max---hard to believe I know---reach out to me, I've got a G410 SFT 10.5 that I will be putting up sometime soon for a very good price. 

I think I remember you saying you work in a golf shop.

I was told a couple of years ago to go with a 9* and loft up, rather then a 10.5* with my driver.

I know I come over the top, so maybe that had something to do with his reasoning, but if I rember correctly it helped bring the spin down to a number the fitter liked more for me.

Does this make sense to you? Even though I think driver (and putter) is the best club in my bag, I often wonder why I'm playing a 9 and most players go with the 10.5...

Edited by Grand Stranded

On 9/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, tony@CIC said:

You'd better not try the new 410 otherwise you'll be quickly parting with even more cash.

I had a GBB that was ok but the 410 that I tested....well my only reaction was.........OMG!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That's the club I'm afraid to try, lol.

I love the 400, I just thought it would be fun to screw around with something different. I seem to get along well with the Rogue line of clubs, so I figured for $200,(actually 120 when I trade in the 5W I never use) why not give this a try?

Worst case scenario, the 400 and the Rogue could be used for trade toward a 410 when the price comes down, LOL.

11 hours ago, revkev said:

This is an interesting conversation - glad I popped in -

There is a very different theory in COG placement between Callaway and Ping - for that reason I would expect exactly what I'm reading here - Guys who hit Ping drivers well off the rack are not likely to have similar results from Callaway off the rack - a good fitting could take care of that if for some reason you really wanted to game Callaway or vis a versa.

This is something I've heard before. Yet the two drivers I've hit the best the last few years and actually the only two I've really had in the "money game" bag, were the GBB Bertha, and the G400 Max. So I guess I'm the outlier with that.

I couldn't get anything out of the G30 and the G when I tested them, but striped the GBB with the Kuro Kage stock shaft. 

Hated the Epic, but all my buddies were killing it, so I kept it 89 days into the 90 day playability. I got lucky the 400 Max was out less then a week, I loved it, and it was $100 cheaper then the Epic.

Edited by Grand Stranded

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm

So I’ve had the Rogue for two weeks now. It’s a good driver, and I’m going to keep it as a backup like I planned. I wasn’t blown away by it though, I still prefer my G400 Max.

Where the PING was point and shoot from day one in the 9* setting, I had to fiddle a bit with the Rogue. I found it works well at 10*(+1) and the Draw setting. I don’t know why but I’m just not a fan of the Callaway drivers since they went to  the Jailbreak technology. The face feels dead to me. I know most people like it, but I’ve tried the Epic, the Flash, and although I like the Rogue the best of the three, I’d never have paid more then the $200 I did for it. At that price, it will be in my backup/travel bag as I said earlier.

All in all, its not the worst golf purchase I’ve ever made. I got what I wanted to fill out that second bag, and I finally realized that jailbreak isn’t a game changer for me.

I’m learning what I like in golf clubs. PING drivers work fit me very well. I’m the guy who loves hybrids, and I like a forgiving distance iron. I like Cleveland wedges, and a mallet style putter. The 3 wood will never be my favorite club, but as long as I’m smart about when to use it, it can help me more than hurt me.

Now it’s time to get this damn handicap into single digits, lol.

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Do you know why, I’m curious?

After trying several other brands/models, I went to PGA Superstore fully intending to buy a Ping G400 last year, but thought I’d try the Rogue to be sure. I’d never owned a Ping or a Callaway wood/metal, so no recency bias.  When I hit them side by side, to my surprise (dismay?) I hit the Rogue a little further and I liked the sound and feel better. So I bought the Callaway Rogue. Feel (partly sound) is high on my list for any club I buy.

That’s funny isn’t it?

I hope you saw my post right above yours. Two players of just about the same ability trying the same two clubs. Each one liking/hitting a different one better both feel and performance wise.

It’s such a crazy game, lol.

Edited by Grand Stranded