TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to fix ball skipping on the greens

Rgoonen

Hello everyone! I played yesterday at a local country club of mine after about a month of not being able to play. I would have done pretty well if I didn't screw up with my putting around the greens and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to keep the ball from skipping on the greens. I shot 78 and I think I can easily knock off about 5-6 strokes with better roll. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Honestly, I'm not familiar with ball skipping. Are the greens wet? I understand that a ball might skid a tiny bit when struck but I think that's more to do with how you strike it. Better let one of our experts weigh-in on this. That's not me.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Hello everyone! I played yesterday at a local country club of mine after about a month of not being able to play. I would have done pretty well if I didn't screw up with my putting around the greens and was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to keep the ball from skipping on the greens. I shot 78 and I think I can easily knock off about 5-6 strokes with better roll. Thanks!

My guess is you are striking the ball with a negative angle of attack. I would focus on hitting it on the upswing.

One way to do this is trying to hit it just a little thin to practice hitting it on the upswing and then going back to a normal strike.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Might be the loft of your putter as well. If you put your phone on video slo-mo a recording might help you to better understand what might be happening. Better yet if you post that same video on here you'll probably receive some pretty good feedback.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

Might be the loft of your putter as well. If you put your phone on video slo-mo a recording might help you to better understand what might be happening. Better yet if you post that same video on here you'll probably receive some pretty good feedback.

An alternative would be to use the Ping iPhone app. While not a visual recording it does capture: closing angle, impact angle, tempo , lie angle, and shaft lean

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

You're most likely either delofting the club too much or have the ball to far back in your stance. Hard to tell for sure without video.

Driver: Callaway 815 DBD Irons: New Ben Hogan Ft. Worth 15's with KBS C-Taper Stiff Flex Shafts 21,25,29,33,37,41,45 Wedges: Ben Hogan TK with KBS Tour V Stiff Flex Shafts 52,56,60 Putter: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Sounds like a putter fitting is needed!

That was my thought as well.  Hard to say; could be a number of things.  However, it's difficult to understand how a 4 cap could not tell what's happening with his putting stroke.  Also, gaining 5-6 shots on a 78 with the putter seems improbable after a month layoff.  I think more information is needed.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Are you using a new putter? Or same one you've used for years?

Seems odd you're just now experiencing the problem, given all other things are the same?

New stance? New ball?

What has changed since one month and one week ago?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Sounds like a putting intervention is required here.......

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My guess is too much of a forward press/de-lofting the putter. I went through a putter 'fitting' which was really just analyzing my stroke on the GC Quad and it showed at impact that my effective putter loft was around 1.2* and a putter with a loft of 4.5* was needed to correct it. However, how much a ball skids on the green determines how much break the ball will take on the putt. Having a consistent skidding distance is key for a consistent roll out on a putter. If the ball skids for the first 14" and then starts to roll, the ball will go on a straighter line than a putter that produces a skid of only 10". Make sense? If the ball is getting airborne just after impact while it skids, you might want to check your angle of attack. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

@GB13 may be onto something here. Check out these videos;

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

That was my thought as well. Hard to say; could be a number of things. However, it's difficult to understand how a 4 cap could not tell what's happening with his putting stroke. Also, gaining 5-6 shots on a 78 with the putter seems improbable after a month layoff. I think more information is needed.

I've started using a new putter and a new style of putter. I know how to fix a lot of things by myself but I'm just asking if anybody had any advice for top rotation. Putting isn't my forte, iron play is.

I had that issue at the end of last year. Only figured it out because I played when there was dew on the greens and you could see the areas it was getting airborne, mostly the first half of each putt.. A fitting at Club Champion showed that I needed to take 3.7 degrees of loft off of my putter for the correct roll. It's been unbelievably good since then. Much better than trying to change an already ingrained putting stroke.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Are you using a new putter? Or same one you've used for years?

Seems odd you're just now experiencing the problem, given all other things are the same?

New stance? New ball?

What has changed since one month and one week ago?

I normally use a Taylormade Spider but have recently switched to a Bettinardi QB#6 and I have also changed my grip from a Pistol GT 2.0 to a 3.0. With my Spider I naturally had a decent roll but I wasn't feeling the putter like I used to so I changed.

Thanks Ping, for the excellent videos. BTW, did you notice that the instructor in the video insert was wearing a UK sweater? Go Big Blue! Also noticed they used an EVNRoll mallet putter.....Love my ER6.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I used to have difficulty with the ball skidding/skipping at impact until I saw a video by Michael Breed. It really helped me get the ball rolling much faster and you get a much longer roll out through inertia. The first time you witness the ball keep rolling long after it should have stopped is when you know you've got it.

There are only 2 things you need to do to reduce the skipping.

Hit the ball on the down swing, not on the upswing

Your impact on the ball should be just above the equator/mid-point of the ball

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I used to have difficulty with the ball skidding/skipping at impact until I saw a video by Michael Breed. It really helped me get the ball rolling much faster and you get a much longer roll out through inertia. The first time you witness the ball keep rolling long after it should have stopped is when you know you've got it.

Uhhhhh.....

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Something doesn't seem right here. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Mmm, I don't think so, at least not for most people, if it works for you, great, but that is not what I would recommend to anyone else.

Hitting on the downswing drastically increases pop up tendency. It hits the ball into the ground, and based on Newton's third law of motion, if there is a force pushing the ball down, the opposite force will push the ball up.

Impact just above the equator will help you to hit on the upswing and does help roll a little bit.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Mmm, I don't think so, at least not for most people, if it works for you, great, but that is not what I would recommend to anyone else.

Hitting on the downswing drastically increases pop up tendency. It hits the ball into the ground, and based on Newton's third law of motion, if there is a force pushing the ball down, the opposite force will push the ball up.

Impact just above the equator will help you to hit on the upswing and does help roll a little bit.

Actually this process will work for most golfers, unfortunately my explanation of it stinks. Here's a video of MB showing how it works. I couldn't find the original video I saw where his discusses the downward blow, but you can see how you would need that type of stroke to make this type of contact.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I normally use a Taylormade Spider but have recently switched to a Bettinardi QB#6 and I have also changed my grip from a Pistol GT 2.0 to a 3.0. With my Spider I naturally had a decent roll but I wasn't feeling the putter like I used to so I changed.

I have used my Taylormade Ghost Spider for 7 years and seriously doubt it will ever leave my bag.

I have tried many many putters over the years to see if one could push the spider out, but no way, nothing comes close.

Do yourself a favor and go back to the Spider !!  :D

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9.0*    3-Wd: Taylormade M1-3HL    Hybrid: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 - 18*    Irons: Callaway Apex CF-19 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland 50, 56, 58    Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider    Ball : Callaway Chrome Soft Yellow

Thanks Ping, for the excellent videos. BTW, did you notice that the instructor in the video insert was wearing a UK sweater? Go Big Blue! Also noticed they used an EVNRoll mallet putter.....Love my ER6.

Yeah, and in several vids, he also uses Snell balls!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I struggled with this last year and thought I was hitting too down on the ball without enough loft on the putter.  It was exactly the opposite the ball was too far forward with too much loft.  In order to get a better roll it "felt" like I was hitting slightly down on the ball but that feel just helped me not hit up on the ball so much.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

One of the things that's helped with my putting is I've adapted Rickie Fowler's putting style. I line up the ball and then hover the putter slightly over the green. It allows me to get a smooth stroke on the ball and has caused my putts to roll much smoother. It also allows me to get a better feel for my swing tempo on my putts.

Sent from my VS995 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived