hckymeyer

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Arccos 360 w/ Caddie 2.0

One way to avoid the above issue it to put the phone into airplane mode or turn off data. Whichever way would work.

I use a old phone which has no service and the wind never comes up on my screen, even when out of tournament mode.

I'm sure I'll be picking up either shot scope or this for next golf season. How have you all going the battery drain on your phones to be?

If I use a normal gps app I find it eats about 10% battery per hour. How does this compare for you if you have used anything similar?

Keep up the good information guys, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Based off of my usage, it uses about 30-35% battery life per 9 holes.

I played in a 2 person scramble yesterday and began the round with battery at 97%.  When we got to the truck after the round, I was at 38%.  I did play around on Twitter and ESPN while we were waiting to tee off on a few holes.  

In my league nights, we play 9 holes..  I start around 50-60% battery life due to normal phone usage at work and then leave the course with 20-30% battery life.  

So the battery usage is acceptable then?

To me that seems ok , 30-35% I mean 😎

• Like 1

To me that seems ok , 30-35% I mean

For me, yes.

30-35% drain per 9 holes is what I anticipated.  Seems reasonable to me for what it is asking the phone to do between bluetooth, GPS, and screen usage.

• Like 1

To me that seems ok , 30-35% I mean

I'm seeing pretty much 10% per hour as another user quoted. I had an old iPhone 6 that is about 5 years old before the evaluation I got the battery replaced so I'm seeing no problems

• Like 1

So this weekend I confirmed that Arccos is not tournament legal. Here is pic at first tee, note the wind.

attachicon.gif IMG_1419.JPG

Here is another at 5th tee, again note the wind

attachicon.gif IMG_1420.JPG

My guess is that when the app closes and reopens it recalculated the wind. Will be sending an email to support.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I'm going to check this out. I try not to close the app or put it in to the background when playing but sometimes I inadvertently hit the power button or home button that puts Arccos in the background.

When I have played I put the phone into my pocket and not looked at it at all. I used very minimal battery this way - maybe 25-20%

I may have found a solution/reason for the missed shots with my Arccos. Typically when I check my phone for the yardage, I put it back in my pocket with the speaker pointed up. Today, I made an effort to put my phone in my pocket with the speaker down and it worked!

My thought as to why this happens is that Arccos uses your microphone to help record the shot. Pointing the microphone towards the ball and club face helped it pick up the shots better.

• Like 4

I may have found a solution/reason for the missed shots with my Arccos. Typically when I check my phone for the yardage, I put it back in my pocket with the speaker pointed up. Today, I made an effort to put my phone in my pocket with the speaker down and it worked!

My thought as to why this happens is that Arccos uses your microphone to help record the shot. Pointing the microphone towards the ball and club face helped it pick up the shots better.

Isn't the phone supposed to be in the front left pocket not the back?

Interesting as to the microphone though, I had no idea the mic was used, wouldn't that make Arccos pick up other people's shots?

I'm left handed and I keep my phone in my front right pocket. Sorry for the confusion.

As to the mic picking up other players shots, that's not a problem I have encountered. I think that has to do with the fact that the sensor for your club has to be “on” and in motion to help register the shot.

• Like 2

I'm left handed and I keep my phone in my front right pocket. Sorry for the confusion.

As to the mic picking up other players shots, that's not a problem I have encountered. I think that has to do with the fact that the sensor for your club has to be “on” and in motion to help register the shot.

Apparently I need to learn to read, your post said, put your phone back in your pocket, not in your back pocket. My bad.

The sensor part makes sense.

• Like 1

Apparently I need to learn to read, your post said, put your phone back in your pocket, not in your back pocket. My bad.

The sensor part makes sense.

All good. I trust your reading abilities as you haven't entered the Odyssey putter contest yet.

• Like 3

All good. I trust your reading abilities as you haven't entered the Odyssey putter contest yet.

Ooooo a free Odyssey putter, please enter me.... 🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😎

• Like 2

Ooooo a free Odyssey putter, please enter me.... 🤣🤣🤣

I hear they are giving away a free golf tee in the Cleveland thread.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

I hear they are giving away a free golf tee in the Cleveland thread.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wait, a whole unbroken tee?!?!? I am soo in!
  • Like 2

I've had three sensors quit working in the last year. That can be infuriating during a round when you realize that you 7 iron or putter sensor won't work. You stop and using the diagnostics tools try to reactivate it - kinda blows your zen. But to Arccos credit they've shipped me a new one each time.

I'm wondering if the sensor is smart enough to send a slightly different signal to the app when it's nearing it's final days. I'm still on my first few months on my Cobra Connect sensors, but one of the other guys in the Cobra Connect Challenge ran out the battery in the sensor on his sand wedge in two months (he uses it quite a bit).

It would be nice if you knew it was dying so you could order a replacement before it dies.

As to the caddie function - I don't use it to plan what I should use off the tee or strategy - though perhaps I should and compare...

I've started using it and really adhering to it on layup holes.

Thanks. 60% in under 4 hours is a noticeable drain. Not a deal breaker, but something that you need to make sure you plan on a little.

That is pretty rough. I'm seeing much less, about 30% in a 4 hour round. But I'm using an iPhone SE specifically as a dedicated device for Arccos. My actual phone stays in my bag with the mobile hotspot on, and the iPhone connects to it via wifi. And because it's just running Arccos, there's not much going on in the background, and I don't take it out of the pocket to check my email or surf the web much (I'll grab my actual phone to do that if it's slow out there).

So this weekend I confirmed that Arccos is not tournament legal. Here is pic at first tee, note the wind.

attachicon.gif IMG_1419.JPG

Here is another at 5th tee, again note the wind

attachicon.gif IMG_1420.JPG

My guess is that when the app closes and reopens it recalculated the wind. Will be sending an email to support.

This is in tournament mode?

Registering the sensors to the clubs should also help protect against it. It will register shots if someone else hits your club and you're close enough. I shared my F8 driver with my daughter during the CCC, so when we played together I'd need to move far enough away that I wasn't picking up her shots as well as mine. Now that the CCC is over, she's keeping the F8, so it's not an issue.

• Like 2

Awesome Stage 1s guys. Now that the CCC is over, I've finally had time to get caught up on the entire thread.

Cant wait to follow this one.  Shame that no Android users could be a part of it, but they added android support for 2.0 after testers were chosen

it is a shame. I would assume there be a big difference due to the differing OS and as an android user it is that OS that I am wanting to learn about.

But good introduction guys.

thanks

Feel free to drop Android questions in here. I have Arccos on my Android as well. I like it better on my iPhone, so I use that whenever I can remember to bring it with me to the course. But I've forgotten it enough that I have several rounds on the Android.

The iPhone UI is just a little bit nicer and smoother. Not so much that I'd say the Android is a bad experience, just that when you put them side-by-side, the iPhone is better.

The Caddy usually gives the same advice, but every once-in-a-while it will differ (I played a few holes with both phones on, until it drove me insane).

I wouldn't rule out Arccos if you're an Android fan like me. It's still pretty great.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Stage 2s.

So with several rounds in, has the data led to any A HA (or OH SH!T) revelations for you?  

• Like 1

So with several rounds in, has the data led to any A HA (or OH SH!T) revelations for you?

For me the biggest thing the data has shown me has been a HUH?

Currently for driving it says my handicap is a 17.6. I am not always dead center of the fairway but for the most part I'm not way off the planet right now. Maybe that's due to my distance off the tee being an average of 232yds. I am using my 3 wood exclusively off the tee this year as I am more consistent with that than my driver.

I know that I am 60yds behind the PGA average of 292yds, but where they get the 17.6 handicap from is a head scratcher right now.

• Like 1

I've stopped trying to figure out how they calculate the facet handicaps. I just look at the arrows. If they are pointing down, I figure I can work on another part of my game.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

i was at the driving range today and with with my music on , i had to keep the phone in my front pocket. And no big deal. Didn't even think it was there.

Hmmm. another checkmark towards Arccos.

• Like 4