Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Mini Driver/3Deep: an answer to driver woes?

GolfSpy MPR

I went back and read through this thread again. You said even if you tee the ball lower, you still hit it with the topline. Like you said, physics will not allow this if your swing is relatively flat. I am wondering if you have a lot of shaft lean when you have the ball teed low. If you do, that could explain why you are able to hit the ball with the topline of the club without digging into the ground first...the club is being presented with enough lean the topline gets to the ball before the face does...just a thought.

Well, in theory yes, but in reality I don't think so.

If you have enough shaft lean to do this, you will probably have a negative loft at impact (dynamic loft). Therefore the ball wouldn't even get in the air and it would look like a top even though you hit it high on the face. It sounds like the shots hit on the top line are going high, (MPR correct if I am wrong here), therefore I wouldn't think this is a viable reason for shots high on the face.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Any updates on the repaired shorter shaft, and how things are going with the XTD? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As a person who always preferred the "Tour Spoon" or strong fairway wood approach for a driving club,

at least in the metal era,

I would ask a question.

Loft considerations not withstanding,

what is the appeal of the 460cc titanium clubhead?

You already know the reasons I don't like them,

among them feeling like I'm playing T-BALL if my ball is teed more than an eighth-inch up.

Any updates on the repaired shorter shaft, and how things are going with the XTD? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

I haven't gotten to play as much this past week, and when I did, I ended up playing the back nine at our course. The back doesn't call for many driver shots: lots of doglegs and tight tee shots that demand specific placement.

That said I haven't recaptured the magic of that first nine with the XTD. Planning to go to a range today: I need to get some time with the G700s for the "range score" section of my stage 2. While there, I'm hoping to do some driver practice as well.

EDIT: And I still have “Callaway 3Deep, right handed, >$75” in my eBay alerts :-)

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

As a person who always preferred the "Tour Spoon" or strong fairway wood approach for a driving club,

at least in the metal era,

I would ask a question.

Loft considerations not withstanding,

what is the appeal of the 460cc titanium clubhead?

You already know the reasons I don't like them,

among them feeling like I'm playing T-BALL if my ball is teed more than an eighth-inch up.

The answer here has to be physics: struck correctly, a bigger head should produce greater ball speed, a higher trajectory with lower spin, and less droppoff on ball speed when the center is slightly missed.

But as far as I can tell, it is a different swing than what you're using for most clubs, and like you, I haven't figured it out.

Full WITB with pictures

I'm going to answer in the affirmative:

1. Yes - I also have a LOT of trouble with the big-headed 460 cc drivers.

If you've read through the reviews on the Cleveland HB Launcher drivers...

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/23608-official-forum-member-review-cleveland-launcher-hb-drivers/

..and if you've read through my story you'll see I'd previously fared very similarly to you (MPR) and had ended up just leaving the driver at home!

As a result of all that testing, though, and associated full swing lessons, my driver swing improved, but .. not to the point where I fully trusted it out on the course. Since then, I've continued with lessons and working hard on my swing and my game, but...

2. Yes - I have a Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (currently set at 14*, adjustable 13-16), so it's essentially a large (235cc) strong 3W, and I use this as my "driver".

Do not have stats but I'm more confident with this club and have become much more consistent with it this season, in terms of both carry and accuracy. During the Cleveland testing period no, I did not hit this club as far as the _good ones_ with the driver, but still far enough and in or nearly in my target fairway more often.

(Note: I should but have not yet picked up a driver again since that testing; next area of improvement for me to focus in on is approach shots and pitching/chipping onto the green.)

If you were nearby I'd let you give the Mini a go, but barring that instead would suggest finding a good used one and testing it out.

** BUT, OTOH..........

I agree with getting a good driver fitting; eg. perhaps you may swing and hit better with a totally different shaft?

And I also agree with other posters, re: testing a lower tee height - but also suggest making small adjustments to either ball position (forward / back ) or distance to the ball (closer / further) - but small adjustments, and test out one variable at a time. See what might work better .. or not .. for you.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My .02 is it's normally ball position for me.. too far back in my stance usually leads me to push it left... I'm a lefty. Too far up leads to a hook. Why I usually range it before to get a feel. Also I used to be a 3w guy. I hit about 20 balls with my 3w and tried copying that same swing with my driver. It worked and haven't looked back.

Good for you, Chuck.

The very same experiment reached "epic fail" status for me.

Me too. I got to the point where I took a 3in divot with my driver. Finally I knew it needed to change, and I have my Attack Angle neutral to 1 up now. All it took was a new ball position and not "dipping" into the shot.

I used to dip into all my shots but have been working on keeping a consistent spine angle.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

FWIW... no expert here, but I had the same problem for the longest time, and we even had similar numbers. 

Work on easing your wrist tension and release through point of impact. While not seeing what you're doing, if all else is good I bet a better release will get that face up and through at a neutral to ascending angle, and you'll see those distances go up. It did with me at least. 

Ping G400 9.5
Callaway XR16 4W

Callaway Rogue 3H, 4H, 5H

Callaway Rogue 6-P

Callaway Forged 50, 54, 58

Odyssey 7S 

FWIW... no expert here, but I had the same problem for the longest time, and we even had similar numbers. 

Work on easing your wrist tension and release through point of impact. While not seeing what you're doing, if all else is good I bet a better release will get that face up and through at a neutral to ascending angle, and you'll see those distances go up. It did with me at least. 

I think this is very much on the right track. Watched a video last week that revealed to me that my left hand grip is quite weak. Turned it stronger, and that encouraged better wrist angles through transition. Had a few promising swings like this at the range Monday, but need to get it to the course to see if I can swing freely when it matters.

Full WITB with pictures

Archived