IT IS ON ... Phil/Tiger, 11/23, PPV, Las Vegas - shadow creek

StrokerAce

Will you buy the PPV?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy the PPV?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2018 at 06:00 AM

Pay-Per-View golf event? Wow. They couldn't secure enough golf advertising dollars to air this on CBS?

Or how about a title sponsor like the old “Shell's Wonderful World of Golf”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay-Per-View golf event? Wow. They couldn't secure enough golf advertising dollars to air this on CBS?

That's what this feels like to me or should be. I enjoy watching those old matches like that why not bring them back this would be a great start to bringing it back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Not paying for that.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree. with the way Phil is playing and how Tiger's game is coming around,it'll be over at the 10th or 11th hole.

Asides from that,I wouldn't waste my money.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Especially since they're not putting up their own money. That would make it a bit more entertaining... Kind of like or Sunday morning game where you can press and such. Add some flare. I do like everyone being mic'd up though.

I agree. with the way Phil is playing and how Tiger's game is coming around,it'll be over at the 10th or 11th hole.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I would think Callaway and TaylorMade would be tripping over each other to try to throw money at an event like this.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I would think Callaway and TaylorMade would be tripping over each other to try to throw money at an event like this.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Golf, like boxing, is a niche sport appealing to a smaller audience rather than a mainstream one like the NFL's.

Boxing fans buy the big PPV fights all of the time,

even knowing that the replay will be either on HBO or Showtime the following week.

These things go for $65 to $100 for TV.

And I would guess off the top of my head that the boxing audience, of which I am part,

is substantially less affluent that the golf audience in general.

Yet here we are, and our golf crew is almost universally disinterested in watching PPV events.

I don't know what that says, but it's something to ponder.

PPV in golf goes against the norm, which is free over the air on NBC or CBS, or on cable on the Golf Channel.  Because this is not a normal event they are trying something totally new, and as you are seeing, there is resistance from the fan base, because we have a certain expectation of how we are able to view the sport, but this is completely different from the norm.

Boxing can get $100 for PPV because they've been doing it for decades.  I still remember when boxing was free on ABC Wide World of Sports back in the 70's.  Then they decided to shift their market based on the draw of some really big name heavyweights, or other premier fighters like Hagler and Leonard and Duran.  Those were such pimped up fights that everyone on the street corner was talking about it and even casual fans were interested, so they were able to get people to pony up the PPV based on really large names as a draw.  Boxing then morphed into the PPV as a standard after a number of these fights went PPV, and after a certain amount of years, the fans that had paid for PPV before weren't complaining about it, because they had paid for it before, and now all of a sudden that's the norm.

The Tiger vs. Phil event may just work on PPV, and we may be breaking ground on a new model to sell to golf fans.  But since it is an original idea, with the two most popular golfers of all time, you'll still get blowback from the average golf fan because this is out of what the expectation is with the sport.  But you know where this going, don't you?  Just like in boxing, someone has to break the mold and go where no one has gone before.  I predict that the Tiger vs Phil on PPV will be very profitable for whomever is producing this, and then we'll start seeing more and more of these types of events pop up as we go forward.  But if you are going to start doing this, what better way then with Tiger vs Phil.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Is it possible that golf simply isn't a big time spectator sport?

If boxing, a niche sport today,  can get people to pay $100 to watch a match that will be replayed on either HBO or Showtime the following week,

and golf can't get people to buy a match that won't be replayed elsewhere,

does  that mean that golf fans aren't as rabid as boxing fans,

or does it mean that golf fans aren't as numerous as boxing fans,

the latter  not being a huge number of fans by any means.

I bet it will be AS coming down 18. I wouldn't be too surprised if the first 17 holes were scripted (or as scripted as can be with golf) and it all comes down to the last. That said I still won't be watching.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I'm going to correct myself here. This is going to be staged so that:

a. it will last a full round,and

b. actually make it look like a battle instead of it being a good 'ol fashion ass whoopin.

As much as I like Michelson,he is to inconsistent and just plain stinks.

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

Dexterity:

I bet it will be AS coming down 18. I wouldn't be too surprised if the first 17 holes were scripted (or as scripted as can be with golf) and it all comes down to the last. That said I still won't be watching.

agreed. it will be scripted.

Dexterity:

PPV in golf goes against the norm, which is free over the air on NBC or CBS, or on cable on the Golf Channel.  Because this is not a normal event they are trying something totally new, and as you are seeing, there is resistance from the fan base, because we have a certain expectation of how we are able to view the sport, but this is completely different from the norm.

Boxing can get $100 for PPV because they'v

e been doing it for decades. 

Good point.

I think this is the answer.

I don't know how accurate this is, so don't quote me, but I heard yesterday that the PPV cost is $25.  Ouch!  It certainly won't be something that will be watched for a few holes, then change the channel.

With the match being played at Shadow Creek, a small easily walked course, the event could only take 3-3.5 hours.  What will they fill the time with between shots?  Obviously commercials, but everyone will be mic'd up; Tiger, Phil, caddies, (hopefully not the cups!).  I think there will be interviews between shots and after each hole.  

There should be plenty of side betting going on with payment made on the spot.  

"Hey Phil!  $1000 bucks you miss that putt."  

"Hey Tiger, I bet you slice it into the woods, a $100 bucks."  (Only it won't be $100).

While this might be entertaining, I think PPV for golf is loser.  However, this match could lead to several more matches.  Maybe Tiger and Phil playing with partners.  Remember Tiger and Annika playing Sergio and Karrie Webb?  There could also be other pros playing matches.  How about DJ and Brooks?  Or JT and JS?  It could be interesting, but only if it's free to the public will it work.  PPV will certainly not "grow the game".

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that this is to be aired at 6pm EDT.  That means the last few holes will have to be lighted.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Unfortunately, like with the rising price of drivers, wedges, irons etc, the only way to stop the gouging is to not participate. This is almost impossible with clubs, which is why prices keep going up, however with something like this it is much easier to do. Nifty said that golf is a niche sport like boxing, and this is mostly true, with one exception, TIGER WOODS. He brings casual sports fans to the game. He has, for good or bad, brought more people to the game than anyone/anything in history. The rub of this is, the hardcore golf fan is losing, and the actual growth of the game is hindered by people who only see dollar bills. Darren Rovell did a poll on twitter that had 17k+ responses. Over 20% said they would pay at/or more than $20 for this event. Extrapolated out that is a huge number of viewers and exactly why they went PPV. However as evidenced by this thread that doesn't apply here. I like the entertainment idea of these matches moving forward, however I hope the PPV numbers bomb so future events are broadcast to everyone. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

A series of head to head matches on regular TV would be really enjoyable to watch.

Whether or not it would generate sufficient revenue to sustain itself is the issue.

Also, the Tour itself has too long a season for players to be available.

Since I enjoy matches much more than I do tournaments, I wish more favorable circumstances existed for a series like that.,

I don't know how accurate this is, so don't quote me, but I heard yesterday that the PPV cost is $25. Ouch! It certainly won't be something that will be watched for a few holes, then change the channel.

With the match being played at Shadow Creek, a small easily walked course, the event could only take 3-3.5 hours. What will they fill the time with between shots? Obviously commercials, but everyone will be mic'd up; Tiger, Phil, caddies, (hopefully not the cups!). I think there will be interviews between shots and after each hole.

"Hey Phil! $1000 bucks you miss that putt."

"Hey Tiger, I bet you slice it into the woods, a $100 bucks." (Only it won't be $100).

While this might be entertaining, I think PPV for golf is loser. However, this match could lead to several more matches. Maybe Tiger and Phil playing with partners. Remember Tiger and Annika playing Sergio and Karrie Webb? There could also be other pros playing matches. How about DJ and Brooks? Or JT and JS? It could be interesting, but only if it's free to the public will it work. PPV will certainly not "grow the game".

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is to be aired at 6pm EDT. That means the last few holes will have to be lighted.

Well, I am honestly surprised it is only $25. I would have expected north of $50. But still, they only seem to hitting the market of, have $25 to spend on watching a round of golf. Most people would rather play a round of golf than watch one.

The other thing is while Tiger brings in casual fans, no casual fan will pay to watch. Casual fans are your, "eh, if it's on the TV on Sunday and Tiger is leading, I watch the last few holes." The only people who would pay are die hard golf fans, and in that they cast away 95% of their possible audience.

I think the PPV is a bad idea.

Driver: Cobra F8 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 50 Stiff
3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
5 Wood: Callaway Epic 19* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged True Temper XP 105 shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 54* and 58*
Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

I don't know how accurate this is, so don't quote me, but I heard yesterday that the PPV cost is $25.  Ouch!  It certainly won't be something that will be watched for a few holes, then change the channel.

With the match being played at Shadow Creek, a small easily walked course, the event could only take 3-3.5 hours.  What will they fill the time with between shots?  Obviously commercials, but everyone will be mic'd up; Tiger, Phil, caddies, (hopefully not the cups!).  I think there will be interviews between shots and after each hole.  

"Hey Phil!  $1000 bucks you miss that putt."  

"Hey Tiger, I bet you slice it into the woods, a $100 bucks."  (Only it won't be $100).

While this might be entertaining, I think PPV for golf is loser.  However, this match could lead to several more matches.  Maybe Tiger and Phil playing with partners.  Remember Tiger and Annika playing Sergio and Karrie Webb?  There could also be other pros playing matches.  How about DJ and Brooks?  Or JT and JS?  It could be interesting, but only if it's free to the public will it work.  PPV will certainly not "grow the game".

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that this is to be aired at 6pm EDT.  That means the last few holes will have to be lighted.  

I am also somewhat surprised that the PPV cost is only $25, I expected it to be higher.    If I am making a PPV payment, I'm not sure that I would want to see a lot of commercials.   Although they would provide an opportunity to get a beer out of the fridge.  If everyone is miked, some editing might be needed for any reruns.  Perhaps, any reruns are where the commercials enter the picture.  

As far as side bets:

Hey Tiger, a $1,000 says that you can't pick up the cart girl.

Hey Phil, you kidding, let's make it $10,000.

If the match ends before reaching 18, they could trade clubs, Phil play right handed and Tiger left handed on a hole, at least, it would be something different.   Perhaps a side bet on that hole.

Guess we'll see how this works out for the producers ...

As an aside, if you get the Golf Channel on your TV, it means you're paying for golf. If you have cable or satellite TV you are paying to watch the network coverage as well. Granted it's not costing you $25 for each round of golf you watch, but neither is PPV if you get a group together :)

What's in my  :titelist-small: 14 Way Stand Bag

Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD 9° (Regular Flex)
Fairway:  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° (Regular Flex)
Hybrids:  PXG 19° (Regular Flex)
Irons: PXG 0211 4-GW (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50
°,54°,58° (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Putter: post-56870-0-25810000-1458757651.pngZAAP Alpha (35")

Lost me at PPV

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

It's not even the price of admission, it's the need for the two of them to make money from it.

If it was just the two of them deciding to finally have showdown match after all these years, with any and all bets on the table for all of us to witness, I would probably watch........... who am I kidding, I would watch!

The PPV sticks in my craw because it isn't necessary for either one of them...... I doubt either will have to skip a meal if this doesn't go PPV.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking after this weeks showing (or no showing) by these two, the ratings and PPV price will take a dip.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

There is a LOT of time to kill between shots... Not sure I could endure the commentators filling the air time.
Just bring back the Skins Game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Based on Ryder Cup play they have changed the format to first one to 90 wins.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm thinking after this weeks showing (or no showing) by these two, the ratings and PPV price will take a dip.

I doubt the price will come down. The viewership probably wasn't going to be high anyway. I just think this was a good idea, poorly executed. 

Archived