IT IS ON ... Phil/Tiger, 11/23, PPV, Las Vegas - shadow creek

Will you buy the PPV?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Will you buy the PPV?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/23/2018 at 06:00 AM

Our Sponsors

I agree. with the way Phil is playing and how Tiger's game is coming around,it'll be over at the 10th or 11th hole.

Asides from that,I wouldn't waste my money.

I'm going to correct myself here. This is going to be staged so that:

a. it will last a full round,and

b. actually make it look like a battle instead of it being a good 'ol fashion ass whoopin.

As much as I like Michelson,he is to inconsistent and just plain stinks.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lost me at PPV

Jason Sobel had the tweet of the year IMO. He tweeted, "They are showing way too much of Phil and Tiger. It's like there is nobody else playing"   LOL         Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 i

I can think of 1,999 things I'd rather spend 19.99 on ... 

I bet it will be AS coming down 18. I wouldn't be too surprised if the first 17 holes were scripted (or as scripted as can be with golf) and it all comes down to the last. That said I still won't be watching.

agreed. it will be scripted.

• Like 1

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

PPV in golf goes against the norm, which is free over the air on NBC or CBS, or on cable on the Golf Channel.  Because this is not a normal event they are trying something totally new, and as you are seeing, there is resistance from the fan base, because we have a certain expectation of how we are able to view the sport, but this is completely different from the norm.

Boxing can get $100 for PPV because they'v

e been doing it for decades. 

Good point.

I think this is the answer.

I don't know how accurate this is, so don't quote me, but I heard yesterday that the PPV cost is $25.  Ouch!  It certainly won't be something that will be watched for a few holes, then change the channel.

With the match being played at Shadow Creek, a small easily walked course, the event could only take 3-3.5 hours.  What will they fill the time with between shots?  Obviously commercials, but everyone will be mic'd up; Tiger, Phil, caddies, (hopefully not the cups!).  I think there will be interviews between shots and after each hole.  

There should be plenty of side betting going on with payment made on the spot.  

"Hey Phil!  $1000 bucks you miss that putt."  

"Hey Tiger, I bet you slice it into the woods, a $100 bucks."  (Only it won't be $100).

While this might be entertaining, I think PPV for golf is loser.  However, this match could lead to several more matches.  Maybe Tiger and Phil playing with partners.  Remember Tiger and Annika playing Sergio and Karrie Webb?  There could also be other pros playing matches.  How about DJ and Brooks?  Or JT and JS?  It could be interesting, but only if it's free to the public will it work.  PPV will certainly not "grow the game".

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that this is to be aired at 6pm EDT.  That means the last few holes will have to be lighted.  

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Unfortunately, like with the rising price of drivers, wedges, irons etc, the only way to stop the gouging is to not participate. This is almost impossible with clubs, which is why prices keep going up, however with something like this it is much easier to do. Nifty said that golf is a niche sport like boxing, and this is mostly true, with one exception, TIGER WOODS. He brings casual sports fans to the game. He has, for good or bad, brought more people to the game than anyone/anything in history. The rub of this is, the hardcore golf fan is losing, and the actual growth of the game is hindered by people who only see dollar bills. Darren Rovell did a poll on twitter that had 17k+ responses. Over 20% said they would pay at/or more than $20 for this event. Extrapolated out that is a huge number of viewers and exactly why they went PPV. However as evidenced by this thread that doesn't apply here. I like the entertainment idea of these matches moving forward, however I hope the PPV numbers bomb so future events are broadcast to everyone. 

• Like 2

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

A series of head to head matches on regular TV would be really enjoyable to watch.

Whether or not it would generate sufficient revenue to sustain itself is the issue.

Also, the Tour itself has too long a season for players to be available.

Since I enjoy matches much more than I do tournaments, I wish more favorable circumstances existed for a series like that.,

• Like 3

I don't know how accurate this is, so don't quote me, but I heard yesterday that the PPV cost is $25. Ouch! It certainly won't be something that will be watched for a few holes, then change the channel.

With the match being played at Shadow Creek, a small easily walked course, the event could only take 3-3.5 hours. What will they fill the time with between shots? Obviously commercials, but everyone will be mic'd up; Tiger, Phil, caddies, (hopefully not the cups!). I think there will be interviews between shots and after each hole.

"Hey Phil! $1000 bucks you miss that putt."

"Hey Tiger, I bet you slice it into the woods, a $100 bucks." (Only it won't be $100).

While this might be entertaining, I think PPV for golf is loser. However, this match could lead to several more matches. Maybe Tiger and Phil playing with partners. Remember Tiger and Annika playing Sergio and Karrie Webb? There could also be other pros playing matches. How about DJ and Brooks? Or JT and JS? It could be interesting, but only if it's free to the public will it work. PPV will certainly not "grow the game".

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is to be aired at 6pm EDT. That means the last few holes will have to be lighted.

Well, I am honestly surprised it is only $25. I would have expected north of $50. But still, they only seem to hitting the market of, have $25 to spend on watching a round of golf. Most people would rather play a round of golf than watch one.

The other thing is while Tiger brings in casual fans, no casual fan will pay to watch. Casual fans are your, "eh, if it's on the TV on Sunday and Tiger is leading, I watch the last few holes." The only people who would pay are die hard golf fans, and in that they cast away 95% of their possible audience.

• Like 1

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I think the PPV is a bad idea.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra F8 Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 50 Stiff
3 Wood: Callaway Epic 15* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
5 Wood: Callaway Epic 19* Project X Hzrdus T800 65
Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged True Temper XP 105 shafts
Wedges: Mizuno T7 54* and 58*
Putter: Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 Heavy
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour

I don't know how accurate this is, so don't quote me, but I heard yesterday that the PPV cost is $25.  Ouch!  It certainly won't be something that will be watched for a few holes, then change the channel.

With the match being played at Shadow Creek, a small easily walked course, the event could only take 3-3.5 hours.  What will they fill the time with between shots?  Obviously commercials, but everyone will be mic'd up; Tiger, Phil, caddies, (hopefully not the cups!).  I think there will be interviews between shots and after each hole.  

"Hey Phil!  $1000 bucks you miss that putt."  

"Hey Tiger, I bet you slice it into the woods, a $100 bucks."  (Only it won't be $100).

While this might be entertaining, I think PPV for golf is loser.  However, this match could lead to several more matches.  Maybe Tiger and Phil playing with partners.  Remember Tiger and Annika playing Sergio and Karrie Webb?  There could also be other pros playing matches.  How about DJ and Brooks?  Or JT and JS?  It could be interesting, but only if it's free to the public will it work.  PPV will certainly not "grow the game".

EDIT:  I forgot to mention that this is to be aired at 6pm EDT.  That means the last few holes will have to be lighted.  

I am also somewhat surprised that the PPV cost is only $25, I expected it to be higher.    If I am making a PPV payment, I'm not sure that I would want to see a lot of commercials.   Although they would provide an opportunity to get a beer out of the fridge.  If everyone is miked, some editing might be needed for any reruns.  Perhaps, any reruns are where the commercials enter the picture.  

As far as side bets:

Hey Tiger, a $1,000 says that you can't pick up the cart girl.

Hey Phil, you kidding, let's make it $10,000.

If the match ends before reaching 18, they could trade clubs, Phil play right handed and Tiger left handed on a hole, at least, it would be something different.   Perhaps a side bet on that hole.

• Like 2

Guess we'll see how this works out for the producers ...

As an aside, if you get the Golf Channel on your TV, it means you're paying for golf. If you have cable or satellite TV you are paying to watch the network coverage as well. Granted it's not costing you $25 for each round of golf you watch, but neither is PPV if you get a group together :)

What's in my  :titelist-small: 14 Way Stand Bag

Driver:   :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD 9° (Regular Flex)
Fairway:  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha 816 14° (Regular Flex)
Hybrids:  :callaway-small: XR 19°XR 22° (Regular Flex)
Irons: :callaway-small: XR Pro 5-PW (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Wedges: :callaway-small: MD3 50
°,54°,58° (Std Loft/Lie, Regular Flex)
Putter: post-56870-0-25810000-1458757651.pngZAAP Alpha (35")

Lost me at PPV

Agreed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

It's not even the price of admission, it's the need for the two of them to make money from it.

If it was just the two of them deciding to finally have showdown match after all these years, with any and all bets on the table for all of us to witness, I would probably watch........... who am I kidding, I would watch!

The PPV sticks in my craw because it isn't necessary for either one of them...... I doubt either will have to skip a meal if this doesn't go PPV.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking after this weeks showing (or no showing) by these two, the ratings and PPV price will take a dip.

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

There is a LOT of time to kill between shots... Not sure I could endure the commentators filling the air time.
Just bring back the Skins Game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Based on Ryder Cup play they have changed the format to first one to 90 wins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver:      :mizuno-small:  ST190G on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Fairway:   :mizuno-small:  ST190TS 15° on Fujikura ATMOS Black

Hybrids     :mizuno-small:  CLK 22 & 25 (set to 20° & 23°) on Fujikura SPEEDER

Irons:     :mizuno-small:  MP5 5-P on True Temper Dynamic Gold

Wedges: :mizuno-small: MP-T5 52*, 56* & 60* on True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge

Putter:    :cameron-small: 2018 Select Newport 2

Balls:      :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Shoes:     :footjoy-small:

Range Finder: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm thinking after this weeks showing (or no showing) by these two, the ratings and PPV price will take a dip.

I doubt the price will come down. The viewership probably wasn't going to be high anyway. I just think this was a good idea, poorly executed. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Great!!  The two Americans with the most losses in Ryder Cup history battling it out to see who is the biggest loser.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”