TESTERS WANTED! ×

RTX4 Wedge Review

amarc17

Last month, I was one of the lucky few to get my hands on the brand new Cleveland RTX4 wedges. They surely have not disappointed! Full review below including in hand photos of the wedges in the tour raw finish.

IMG_3180.JPGIMG_3181.JPGIMG_3182.JPGIMG_3183.JPGIMG_3184.JPGIMG_3187.JPG

Looks: let me first start this review by just saying how awesome these new wedges look. For full disclosure, I have never had any Cleveland wedges in the bag before. I'd grown up with the original Nike Vr forged wedges that had a heel grind very similar to that of the Taylor Made milled grinds these days. In essence, they were the standard grind that came on most wedges back in the day. The new RTX4's have a great look to them - a nice straight leading edge with minimal offset, a look I've been used to for a long time now. Its no secret these wedges were made with the tour in mind. To me, a great improvement over the 3's. Go with the raw finish, you will not be disappointed!

Playability: despite being made for the tour, these soles are incredibly playable. I requested the mid-vg sole. Similar to my old Nike gamers, these wedges have a nice subtle grind to them that allows for the face to be opened up, but still providing the player with great performance on full shots and bunker shots. Very easy to get through the rough. Which leads me to the spin...

Spin: Simply put, they spin A LOT. My first shot from the rough actually backed up five feet - in deep wet rough, from 40 yards! These easily outplay my current gamers. In looking at Clevelands website, they are touting 50% more spin than Callaway and Vokeys, a bold claim. Based on the spin I've gotten, its hard to argue! Great spin from the fairway, chips and pitches. Classic Cleveland!

Feel: the feel is even softer than the 3's, which is another added benefit. As a player who enjoys forged clubs, these certainly feel the part. While being cast, the feel balancing tech Cleveland had introduced with the 3's had been advanced to improve feel and CG location by loft and by grind. As such, these wedges tout consistency to the max. And they deliver!

Overall, these wedges are the real deal for a low to mid handicap who enjoys playing clean looking wedges. There's no doubt they're made with the better playing in mind. Its great to see all of this tech Cleveland has been putting into wedges over the last few years into such a classic shape. Can't say enough about them. They've made their way into the bag! The differentiating factor: spin performance from any lie. I'm not sure there's a more consistent, durable, beautiful wedge on the market. Its the total package - an instant classic!

More to come on durability, but so far so good. The tour raw finish is looking great - actually starting to rust a bit just 2 weeks into using them. Its a sweet look!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Appreciate the great review, I'm definitely looking to these next.

#PowerToThePlayer

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

great write up...thanks....love my Cleveland wedges

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Kudos to Cleveland for returning the low bounce options.

Those one grind fits all soles are fairly popular, now.

Terry Koehler started it at Reid Lockhart, then brought it to Scor and Hogan.

For me, they're ok up to a certain loft,

but for the 58s, 60s, etc.,

that V Sole is useless.

It's fine for darts from back in the stance but useless for parachutes from forward in the stance.

Cleveland got it with their 691 model 58º years ago, and now they've come back to it again.

Thanks for the write up! I'm long overdue for new wedges to replace my very worn CG15 56 and CG16 60. Was going to pull the trigger on some SM7's but between your review and MGS's write up, I'm holding off until I can get my hands on these bad boys. 

Titlesit 917 D3 9.5 | Diamana D+70 

Titleist 910 

Titlest 915 

TaylorMade Tour Burner 4-PW

Cleveland 56

Cleveland 60

Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to post a follow up on this post I made about a month ago. See below some in hand pics of my new RTX 4's. They're very durable and are beginning to rust nicely! They do have a really nice, authentic look to them. It looks like an old friend you've had in your bag forever, but packed with all of today's best tech. These have truly impressed. So glad to have been able to test these babies out. IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Archived