TESTERS WANTED! ×

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Sluggo42

It didn't take this long to send a message to Burfict. He's been fined over $5 million dollars and suspended 4 times for his transgressions. He's a repeat offender to the nth degree.

The Jones hit hasn't been ignored. It will be reviewed for a potential fine but it didn't in any way meet the standard for ejection or suspension.

[/url]

Player reputation matters here as well. Would you be okay with someone receiving the same prison sentence for committing manslaughter as a serial killer does for committing first degree murder?

Jones did everything within the rules. He led with his shoulder, he turned as contact came, he didn't launch into him. Reviewing the film, Allen knows he's there and lowers his body preparing for the contact, which is part of what resulted in the helmet to helmet contact. I've linked a tweet below with an angle of the hit demonstrating this.

Again, it's unfortunate that Allen was hurt to that level but suggesting that Jones should receive the same level of punishment as Burfict is a total stretch.

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

It didn't take this long to send a message to Burfict. He's been fined over $5 million dollars and suspended 4 times for his transgressions. He's a repeat offender to the nth degree.

The Jones hit hasn't been ignored. It will be reviewed for a potential fine but it didn't in any way meet the standard for ejection or suspension.

[/url]

Player reputation matters here as well. Would you be okay with someone receiving the same prison sentence for committing manslaughter as a serial killer does for committing first degree murder?

Jones did everything within the rules. He led with his shoulder, he turned as contact came, he didn't launch into him. Reviewing the film, Allen knows he's there and lowers his body preparing for the contact, which is part of what resulted in the helmet to helmet contact. I've linked a tweet below with an angle of the hit demonstrating this.

Again, it's unfortunate that Allen was hurt to that level but suggesting that Jones should receive the same level of punishment as Burfict is a total stretch.

I never said he should receive the same punishment. It’s a shame that nearly the same hit yields no penalty or fine.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Again, it's not even remotely the same hit and Jones is still up for a fine. Fines aren't typically announced until after the week of games is over so if he does receive one it will be probably be announced on Tuesday. He also did receive a penalty during the game for the hit, though it was effectively negated due to an offensive holding penalty that offset the flag he received for the hit.

I never said he should receive the same punishment. It’s a shame that nearly the same hit yields no penalty or fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Again, it's not even remotely the same hit and Jones is still up for a fine. Fines aren't typically announced until after the week of games is over so if he does receive one it will be probably be announced on Tuesday. He also did receive a penalty during the game for the hit, though it was effectively negated due to an offensive holding penalty that offset the flag he received for the hit.

Whatever man. I’m not going ten rounds with this.

Night
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

My opinion, Burfict's suspension was warranted and very much earned.  He has been asking for a more severe punishment since his career began. 

Jones should have been ejected without question.  Targeting is targeting and to celebrate afterward shows a distinct level of callousness that warrants further discipline.  For the NFL to preach player safety and do nothing in light of Jones' hit on Allen is in-and-of-itself....callous!

Just my opinion.

Yeah, but the guy in the crowd kinda deserved it

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Rex Ryan has always been a big mouth and every once and a while he’s on the right side of history.

I do believe Mayfield had very high expectations set not only by the NFL (it’s scheduling for the Browns this season) and it’s characters, but by he himself.

I hate to say it but I tend to agree with Rex that he isn’t what everyone is hyping up to be.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

6 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I do believe Mayfield had very high expectations set not only by the NFL (it’s scheduling for the Browns this season) and it’s characters, but by he himself.

I hate to say it but I tend to agree with Rex that he isn’t what everyone is hyping up to be.

... Who is? So many busts at QB when drafted in the 1st round and even 1st in the draft. For every Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck that are exactly who many thought they would be, there are 10x's as many busts and many more that while serviceable NFL QB's, do not live up to the hype.

Jarad Goff (1)
Jamis Winston (1)
Sam Bradford (1)
Alex Smith (1)
David Carr (1)
Tim Couch (1)
JaMarcus Russell (1)
Mitch Trubisky (2)
Marcus Mariota (2)
Robert Griffin III (2)
Blake Bortles (3)
Vince Young (3)
Joey Harrington (3)
Mark Sanchez (5)
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert 
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn 
Matt Leinart
Jason Campbell
JP Losman
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
EJ Manuel
Tim Tebow
Paxton Lynch
Christian Ponder
Brandon Weden 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

... Who is? So many busts at QB when drafted in the 1st round and even 1st in the draft. For every Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck that are exactly who many thought they would be, there are 10x's as many busts and many more that while serviceable NFL QB's, do not live up to the hype.

Jarad Goff (1)
Jamis Winston (1)
Sam Bradford (1)
Alex Smith (1)
David Carr (1)
Tim Couch (1)
JaMarcus Russell (1)
Mitch Trubisky (2)
Marcus Mariota (2)
Robert Griffin III (2)
Blake Bortles (3)
Vince Young (3)
Joey Harrington (3)
Mark Sanchez (5)
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert 
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn 
Matt Leinart
Jason Campbell
JP Losman
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
EJ Manuel
Tim Tebow
Paxton Lynch
Christian Ponder
Brandon Weden 

I love that you included EJ in that list...he is a big reason why Doug Whaley is now in the XFL.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

Big game for Seahawks Thursday nite against the Rams, who suddenly aren’t as scary as they seemed a week ago... but still scary

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Big game for Seahawks Thursday nite against the Rams, who suddenly aren’t as scary as they seemed a week ago... but still scary

As a lifelong 'Hawks fan and a proud 12.. I do not think they have the secondary to be a real threat. That being said they can beat the Rams, but it will be a fight.

Go 'Hawks...

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

It's a battle to see who is the worst team in the NFL ... Redskins or Dolphins?  And they play each other in a few weeks too.  That should have the worst rating possibly ever with viewership.  LOL 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

On 10/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, bens197 said:

I love that you included EJ in that list...he is a big reason why Doug Whaley is now in the XFL.

... I have said this before, but the starting QB at ECU in the early 70's played for the Giants. He asked me how much harder I thought it was to play college QB compared to high school and I said 10 times harder and he agreed. Then he asked me how much harder from college to the NFL? I figured twice as hard and said 20 times? He said no, 100 times harder. Throws you have made successfully your entire life are now picked off. CB's actually bait you into making throws that look open but they can turn their hips quickly and close so fast they either knock it down or pick it off. Then you start to hesitate and once you start doing that you are done. You cannot play the position at the highest level with ANY hesitancy or you will be sacked or have your open WR's windows close. And that doesn't even take into account shifting defenses that are hard to read because they change at the snap. 2 LB's or a CB lined up in a blitz that drop into coverage. I think this is the reason you see so many good college QB's fail at the next level.

... It takes strong and mentally tough player to overcome the learning curve and maintain their confidence. Perfect example is Blaine Gabbert. Coming out of college I thought he was as close to a can't miss as possible without being a Manning or Luck. But he started getting picked and begin to hesitate and then just got killed in the pocket holding the ball too long. You could see his confidence slowly but surely eroding til he looked nothing like the bold college QB with a lightening quick release and fast decision maker. 

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have said this before, but the starting QB at ECU in the early 70's played for the Giants. He asked me how much harder I thought it was to play college QB compared to high school and I said 10 times harder and he agreed. Then he asked me how much harder from college to the NFL? I figured twice as hard and said 20 times? He said no, 100 times harder. Throws you have made successfully your entire life are now picked off. CB's actually bait you into making throws that look open but they can turn their hips quickly and close so fast they either knock it down or pick it off. Then you start to hesitate and once you start doing that you are done. You cannot play the position at the highest level with ANY hesitancy or you will be sacked or have your open WR's windows close. And that doesn't even take into account shifting defenses that are hard to read because they change at the snap. 2 LB's or a CB lined up in a blitz that drop into coverage. I think this is the reason you see so many good college QB's fail at the next level.

... It takes strong and mentally tough player to overcome the learning curve and maintain their confidence. Perfect example is Blaine Gabbert. Coming out of college I thought he was as close to a can't miss as possible without being a Manning or Luck. But he started getting picked and begin to hesitate and then just got killed in the pocket holding the ball too long. You could see his confidence slowly but surely eroding til he looked nothing like the bold college QB with a lightening quick release and fast decision maker. 

Bingo.

A receiver that is "open" in NFL would be considered covered in college.  Haskins missed a throw on the goaline against the Giants.  His receiver was open by about a step and he overthrew him.  The announcer said "Haskins has to make that throw, because that is WIDE OPEN in the NFL"

... Yup QB is by far the most difficult position to play combining physical and mental requirements. The difference between great and bad in the NFL is almost razor thin and why there are so many misses when drafting a QB out of college. 

...which makes Tom Brady not only the greatest QB ever but probably the greatest football player in history...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

...which makes Tom Brady not only the greatest QB ever but probably the greatest football player in history...

... Given Brady's obvious physical limitations, it is hard to argue with that. But Mahomes is on the horizon. 

Just now, chisag said:

... Given Brady's obvious physical limitations, it is hard to argue with that. But Mahomes is on the horizon. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA.... Mahomes 'on the horizon' in his second year in the league ?

Now that is funny.

If, according to your logic, QB play is exceedingly demanding both physically and mentally there are many QBs who are much stronger than Brady but hard to think of one that has the ability to read any defense and place the ball exactly where it needs to be.... if this is what you mean by 'physical limitations' - okay, that's fair.  He's not beating anyone in a foot race.  haha

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

On The Horizon - becoming apparent

... Key word becoming, but if it isn't becoming apparent to you, you are wearing blinders. I have never seen anything like Mahomes. His poise and field awareness for a 2nd year QB is just off the charts. And he might be the most gifted pure passer I have ever seen. Looooong way to go but he is already in a category all by himself. 

26 minutes ago, chisag said:

On The Horizon - becoming apparent

... Key word becoming, but if it isn't becoming apparent to you, you are wearing blinders. I have never seen anything like Mahomes. His poise and field awareness for a 2nd year QB is just off the charts. And he might be the most gifted pure passer I have ever seen. Looooong way to go but he is already in a category all by himself. 

Yep...the kid is good...real good with a big arm.... but he's got a ways to go before he reaches the upper echelon.

I remember people saying this same thing about Russell Wilson... also a great player with a strong arm.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

... LOL, yup typical Patriots blinders. Mahomes is already in the upper echelon. Only 2 QB's have thrown 50 TDs and 5,000 yds in a season. TWO! Manning in the HOF and Mahomes. And only 3 have thrown 50 TD passes in a season so you can add Brady to that list. That is the very definition of upper echelon. What makes it so remarkable is it was Mahomes first season as a starter. I have studied QB's ever since copying Eddie Lee Lebaron when I started playing the position in grade school. Mahomes is in a class all by himself and cannot be compared to anyone else. Enjoy your kool aid. 🤣

36 minutes ago, chisag said:

... LOL, yup typical Patriots blinders. Mahomes is already in the upper echelon. Only 2 QB's have thrown 50 TDs and 5,000 yds in a season. TWO! Manning in the HOF and Mahomes. And only 3 have thrown 50 TD passes in a season so you can add Brady to that list. That is the very definition of upper echelon. What makes it so remarkable is it was Mahomes first season as a starter. I have studied QB's ever since copying Eddie Lee Lebaron when I started playing the position in grade school. Mahomes is in a class all by himself and cannot be compared to anyone else. Enjoy your kool aid. 🤣

Image result for brady rings

Let me know when he has a ring to back it up...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The things Mahomes is capable of, just from a purely athletic standpoint, are outrageous. What he's doing is akin to what Steph Curry has done to the NBA.

While I can't boast the same resume when it comes to analysing football players, what I've seen from Mahomes, I've never seen from anyone on the football field.

His ability to make throws from any arm slot, any body position, even while looking and/or moving in a completely different direction with the level of precision that he does is simply ridiculous. It shouldn't be possible, and yet he's doing it.

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Image result for brady rings

Let me know when he has a ring to back it up...

... LOL if you lived in Chicago you would have a mustache with aviator sun glasses and be comparing everyone to the '85 "Da Bearz". I already said Brady is the best at the moment. Mahomes does not have a short sleeved hoodie coach or a defense like Brady. But Andy Reid ain;t an idiot either so the future looks bright for KC fans. I would not trade Mack for any player in the NFL ... other than Mahomes. 

Edited by chisag

2 hours ago, golfinnut said:

It's a battle to see who is the worst team in the NFL ... Redskins or Dolphins?  And they play each other in a few weeks too.  That should have the worst rating possibly ever with viewership.  LOL 

... Dont diss the Bengals and leave them out of this conversation! 😳

Anyone who can’t say he is the greatest is in denial. A Champion in two separate decades he’s the most consistently great QB to ever play.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

I’ll name drop just because the point of an Internet forum is to offer a thorough discussion on the topic.

When I worked as a club pro, Joe Namath was a very active member and played every day in the summer.

Once we broke down the walls, we had some great conversations. Now, keep in kind, great conversation meant the young 25 year old just sat back, shut up and listened to the living legend offer insight on the game of football. We played a bunch of golf and some of my favorite memories are him telling stories. Anyone who’s ever seen or met him knows he loves to tell stories and make people smile.

One of the most consistent things he mentioned was how difficult it was for a team to find a top tier QB. It is the single most difficult position to secure and after watching teams fail at the draft, it really becomes a test of luck.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

A video went up on Sunday, not sure who else saw it, where Deshaun Watson broke down the coverages that Carolina was playing for a reporter during his post-game presser and apart from being a fantastic soundbite, it really just spoke to how hard it is to play QB in the NFL.

If you've not watched it, here's a link. Definitely worth giving it a watch. https://deadspin.com/i-love-everything-about-this-deshaun-watson-exchange-wi-1838628509

He expanded on it today as well saying he'd love to see guys like Brady and Brees doing stuff like that and I'd definitely agree with him.

What I really enjoyed about it is that it's really demonstrating just how much the current analysts are dumbing it down for us.

A video went up on Sunday, not sure who else saw it, where Deshaun Watson broke down the coverages that Carolina was playing for a reporter during his post-game presser and apart from being a fantastic soundbite, it really just spoke to how hard it is to play QB in the NFL.

If you've not watched it, here's a link. Definitely worth giving it a watch. https://deadspin.com/i-love-everything-about-this-deshaun-watson-exchange-wi-1838628509

He expanded on it today as well saying he'd love to see guys like Brady and Brees doing stuff like that and I'd definitely agree with him.

What I really enjoyed about it is that it's really demonstrating just how much the current analysts are dumbing it down for us.

I want more of this. I also want more guys like Tony Romo calling games and predicting plays. I want broadcasters who speak to fans like adults without spoon-feeding trivia and over analyzing every play.

• Srixon Z-Star XV