Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Sluggo42

6-0, and the Patriots haven't put together a regular lineup yet, never mind a complete game.

No predictions, we'll see how it goes, but one thing lingers on the back of my mind.

Massachusetts high schools are having a hard time getting forty kids to have a team, and Pop Warner programs are decreasing. 

It's been years since there have been cuts in high school. Show up and you're on the team....in every city and town

A lot of parents just aren't letting their kids play anymore.  They'll watch the Pats while they're winning, but they won't let their kids play. 

It wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots success is the only thing keeping the game legal in Massachusetts, just for now.

It sounds rash, but the way things are going, progressive coastal states could start banning football any time now.  Anti-football public service ads are now on TV.  I just saw the first one this week. They're comparing children playing football to children smoking and vaping.  They're saying it's going to catch up with their health, sooner or later.

Keep up hope, Middle America.  Your NFL teams could start winning again soon.  Chiefs dynasty, anyone?  And St. Louis might even get its third NFL team.  Brady has his Brookline mansion on the market right now, so it won't be long.

Maybe the Red Sox can move into Gillette Stadium.  Beloved Fenway Park is a cramped, uncomfortable dump.  The weird baseball dimensions of Gillette would be worth the more comfortable seating.  For those of you old enough to remember, the Polo Grounds had strange dimensions for baseball.  For most of you, though, you might have to Google the Polo Grounds.

6-0, and the Patriots haven't put together a regular lineup yet, never mind a complete game.
No predictions, we'll see how it goes, but one thing lingers on the back of my mind.

Massachusetts high schools are having a hard time getting forty kids to have a team, and Pop Warner programs are decreasing. 
It's been years since there have been cuts in high school. Show up and you're on the team....in every city and town
A lot of parents just aren't letting their kids play anymore.  They'll watch the Pats while they're winning, but they won't let their kids play. 
It wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots success is the only thing keeping the game legal in Massachusetts, just for now.
It sounds rash, but the way things are going, progressive coastal states could start banning football any time now.  Anti-football public service ads are now on TV.  I just saw the first one this week. They're comparing children playing football to children smoking and vaping.  They're saying it's going to catch up with their health, sooner or later.
Keep up hope, Middle America.  Your NFL teams could start winning again soon.  Chiefs dynasty, anyone?  And St. Louis might even get its third NFL team.  Brady has his Brookline mansion on the market right now, so it won't be long.
Maybe the Red Sox can move into Gillette Stadium.  Beloved Fenway Park is a cramped, uncomfortable dump.  The weird baseball dimensions of Gillette would be worth the more comfortable seating.  For those of you old enough to remember, the Polo Grounds had strange dimensions for baseball.  For most of you, though, you might have to Google the Polo Grounds.

Have to agree with some of your comments. I’ve posted this in other threads. Our Grandson is a decent athlete at 13. His first love is baseball second football. Our daughter will not allow him to play tackle football, no how, no way. I understand where she is coming from as there have been some serious injuries in CT and New England. She has allowed him to play in a 15 under Flag Football league and he loves it and he’s good.
He’s been quarterback but would rather play running back or receiver.
He’s also been a decent soccer player but is dropping it after this year. He told me just doesn’t enjoy it anymore.
He’s only 13 but has been playing Legion ball.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I hate Jim Schwartz.....almost as much as I hate Doug Pedersen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

My area on Long Island was having the same issue. Last year for 7th grade my son’s time had 28 kids. A year later the have 59 kids for middle school ball. Happy to see it. I played the game for 20+ years and besides bad knees and some aches and creeks I am not any worse for the wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Polo Grounds...I guess I’m really getting old. I was there with my Dad & Uncle for Baseball & Football. Weird place.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I’m afraid the pats reign is coming to an end. The only reason they’re still relevant is because their division always sucks.

brady is old and bilicheat wI’ll quit when Brady does. The Giants hung with them for 3.5 quarters last week... I’d like to see how they’d do in the nfc west game after game.

but, their defense is strong against all those losers, so they still appear good.

i hate the 49ers, but they appear pretty darn good right now...

go Hawks

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

People have been saying the Pats' reign is over every year since the 2014 season and they've only won 3 Super Bowls and been to 4 in that time.

Also, the idea that they've only been good over the Brady/Belichick era because of their division is just a flat out myth. In that timeframe, they have a better winning percentage against 4 other divisions than they do their own. Their winning percentages against the AFC and the NFC in that timeframe are practically identical.

Including the Patriots win totals, the AFC East also has the best win percentage for a division in that timeframe. Taking the Patriots wins out of the equation, yes, the AFC East has the lowest win percentage in that timeframe, but something interesting happens when you remove the division winner from every division and look at the win percentages then. The AFC East has the second best win percentage of any division in the league in that timeframe when looking solely at the performance of the 3 teams in each division that didn't win the division.

Going further and removing the best team from each division over that time period puts the AFC East as the 4th most winningest division in football in that timeframe. Far from the worst.

Here's the source: https://patriotsdynasty.info/blog/2019/01-02/myth-easy-afc-east-definitive-guide

I’m afraid the pats reign is coming to an end. The only reason they’re still relevant is because their division always sucks.
brady is old and bilicheat wI’ll quit when Brady does. The Giants hung with them for 3.5 quarters last week... I’d like to see how they’d do in the nfc west game after game.
but, their defense is strong against all those losers, so they still appear good.
i hate the 49ers, but they appear pretty darn good right now...
go Hawks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

See, told ya!
Only Lions fans know the pain of Monday night’s loss as this has been the same m.o. for DECADES. As a famous coach said, “Play better than the refs ref.” The Lions are always screwed by bad calls because they don’t outplay the opponent to a degree where the crappy calls still don’t affect the game’s outcome. Last place in the North, and another loss to the Pack. Ugh. Same-old, same-old.
Geaux Saints, dang it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 10/17/2019 at 7:59 AM, PMookie said:

See, told ya!
Only Lions fans know the pain of Monday night’s loss as this has been the same m.o. for DECADES. As a famous coach said, “Play better than the refs ref.” The Lions are always screwed by bad calls because they don’t outplay the opponent to a degree where the crappy calls still don’t affect the game’s outcome. Last place in the North, and another loss to the Pack. Ugh. Same-old, same-old.
Geaux Saints, dang it!!!

I am focusing on the positives. Not one player has come out and blamed the refs for the loss. PaTricia said that we have to we’re as players, and coaching. Remember some coaching decisions cost them some points from the defensive side, and we have to do better inside the 10 yard line. Yes we got screwed by some bad calls, but it never should have been a problem if we would have taken care of business earlier in the game. I really think this team is headed on an upward trend, but we aren’t quite there yet. We are way better than we were last season and previous seasons. I see a lot of improvement already, and would like to continue to see improvement. Go Lions!!!!

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

On 10/17/2019 at 1:59 AM, PMookie said:

See, told ya!
Geaux Saints, dang it!!!

On 10/18/2019 at 7:32 AM, Kor.A.Door said:

I am focusing on the positives. Not one player has come out and blamed the refs for the loss. PaTricia said that we have to we’re as players, and coaching. Remember some coaching decisions cost them some points from the defensive side, and we have to do better inside the 10 yard line. Yes we got screwed by some bad calls, but it never should have been a problem if we would have taken care of business earlier in the game. I really think this team is headed on an upward trend, but we aren’t quite there yet. We are way better than we were last season and previous seasons. I see a lot of improvement already, and would like to continue to see improvement. Go Lions!!!!

I'm late to this party but we absolutely got ROBBED on those calls. Those 2 calls cost us 10 points, and it always seems to be against arod and the fudge packers!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

8 hours ago, yungkory said:

I'm late to this party but we absolutely got ROBBED on those calls. Those 2 calls cost us 10 points, and it always seems to be against arod and the fudge packers!

... Watching my son play in college as a 1st team all conference DE , I know how tough it is to get sacks and beat good OT's. He was held ALL the time. Tough game where he only had one sack, a most awesome ref talked to him and the HC at halftime about the holding. Ref said "I can only call holding if I am 100% sure I see it. If I am blocked, have a bad angle or am not 100% sure I am not gonna call it. Did I miss some holding calls against #7? Sure, but it can change a game and I am not gonna call a hold if I just think it was a hold". He got 2 holding calls in the 2nd half and I would bet he was held at least 10 more times than that.

... Those calls against Detroit were exactly what the college ref described, looked like it could have been hands to the face but certainly not 100% sure, especially when hands to the jersey at the top of the pads is a move great DE's have been using for years. ROBBED is a perfect description. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

9 hours ago, yungkory said:

A buddy of mine who is coincidentally a Vikings fan. Summed it with. It’s not so much that calls always happen to the Lions, it’s that the calls always benefit Rogers. As Lions fans, there have been many many calls over the years that have gone against the Lions in multiple games, but it seems like many calls go in favor of Rogers. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Just when you’re thinking the Cowboys stink, they go out and start putting a whooping on the Eagles...

maybe it’s them that stink.... kinda like my Hawks today... ugh

Uugh, when will the morons that run ESPN learn not to schedule AFC East games where the Patriots are involved.  I mean, did anyone have any doubt about any of the 6 games New England is going to play against the Jets, Bills and Dolphins this year?  I mean, come on, this is the biggest joke in NFL history.  New England gets 6 byes every year, due to a lack of competition in their division.  And Buffalo struggled to beat Miami yesterday, which tells me nothing has changed in that division.  And the only reason the Jets may win a game or two more is because they get two games against Miami.

This is just absolutely brutal TV programming.  Thank goodness I don't get ESPN anymore.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

ESPN doesn't make the schedules, nor can they flex games like NBC can with Sunday Night Football.

I always thought it was Patriots fans and everyone else that hates the Patriots...

FACTS:
pats.jpg

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

10 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

ESPN doesn't make the schedules, nor can they flex games like NBC can with Sunday Night Football.

Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl.  NBC paid $950 million, can virtually pick their games and host the Super Bowl every third year.  ESPN paid $1.9 Billion (renegotiated down to $1.75 Billion in 2018).  Their allotment of games are almost exclusively dictated by the league and have no shot at airing a Super Bowl.

For the record, CBS paid $1 Billion and Fox paid $1.1 Billion.  Each air the Super Bowl every third year.  ESPN grossly overpaid for what they got the rights to!

Only games that are scheduled for Sunday already can be flexed into the Sunday Night Football primetime slot. It's logistics thing. Stadiums are already set for a game on that day. Change of time of day is one thing, but flexing it to another day entirely? Never going to happen.

Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl.  NBC paid $950 million, can virtually pick their games and host the Super Bowl every third year.  ESPN paid $1.9 Billion (renegotiated down to $1.75 Billion in 2018).  Their allotment of games are almost exclusively dictated by the league and have no shot at airing a Super Bowl.
For the record, CBS paid $1 Billion and Fox paid $1.1 Billion.  Each air the Super Bowl every third year.  ESPN grossly overpaid for what they got the rights to!

In other news, the Patriots have traded a second round pick to the Falcons for Mohamed Sanu.

And the 49ers have sent a third and a fourth round pick to the Broncos for Emmanuel Sanders and a fifth round pick.

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Which is why ESPN is going bankrupt.  I might be off on the numbers, but I believe ESPN has lost 13 million cable subscribers in the past 6 years (https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-losing-subscribers-not-ratings-viewers-2017-9).  Those numbers are 2 years old, and they have only gotten worse in the last 18 months.

I'm also one of those lost subscribers, as I don't have either ESPN or Golf Channel with my Sling package.  Frankly, I don't miss either network one bit.  I mean, why would I want ESPN, only to have the choice of watching the Patriots embarass every team they play on MNF.  The NFL is a complete joke, competition wise.  Like I said several years ago, just give the trophy to the Patriots in August every year, and stop wasting everyone's time.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Only games that are scheduled for Sunday already can be flexed into the Sunday Night Football primetime slot. It's logistics thing. Stadiums are already set for a game on that day. Change of time of day is one thing, but flexing it to another day entirely? Never going to happen.

I believe you completely missed the point!!!!!

It doesn't matter what games can be flexed.  Broadcasting rights are closed bid.  ESPN submitted a closed bid for $1.9 Billion for something they will have no control of and gives them no opportunity to air a Super Bowl.  i.e...ESPN knew they had no flex scheduling potential and no opportunity to air a Super Bowl and still bid double what NBC did.

NBC paid half what ESPN paid and gets flex scheduling and a Super Bowl every third year.  

You said it was utterly amazing and wildly fascinating that ESPN can't flex games for how much they paid for it. I responded to that portion about why they'll never be able to flex games. How much they paid for the broadcasting rights is irrelevant, so no, I didn't miss your point.

I believe you completely missed the point!!!!!
It doesn't matter what games can be flexed.  Broadcasting rights are closed bid.  ESPN submitted a closed bid for $1.9 Billion for something they will have no control of and gives them no opportunity to air a Super Bowl.  i.e...ESPN knew they had no flex scheduling potential and no opportunity to air a Super Bowl and still bid double what NBC did.
NBC paid half what ESPN paid and gets flex scheduling and a Super Bowl every third year.  

28 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

You said it was utterly amazing and wildly fascinating that ESPN can't flex games for how much they paid for it. I responded to that portion about why they'll never be able to flex games. How much they paid for the broadcasting rights is irrelevant, so no, I didn't miss your point.

Actually, I said "Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl."

At no point did I suggest it was utterly amazing or wildly fascinating ESPN couldn't flex games!  What's utterly amazing and wildly fascinating is that ESPN would volunteer to pay double the amount NBC paid for far less control of content and an inferior package of game availability.

Reading comprehension!

Not sure why you're so caught up on trying to dunk on me for literally no reason. ESPN can't flex games, regardless how much they paid for the broadcasting rights for Monday Night Football. Fox can't flex Thursday games either. NBC are the only ones who can for Sunday Night Football. What other networks paid for primetime slots on other nights is completely irrelevant to whether they can flex games.

Actually, I said "Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl."
At no point did I suggest it was utterly amazing or wildly fascinating ESPN couldn't flex games!  What's utterly amazing and wildly fascinating is that ESPN would volunteer to pay double the amount NBC paid for far less control of content and an inferior package of game availability.
Reading comprehension!

I’m thinking just get rid of Detroit’s franchise. Good Lord. How many MORE years do we have to wait?! The NFL could even take the franchise from the Ford family, or do like Bull Durham and buy some fried chicken (sacrifice an animal). SOMETHING. 50+ years of futility is enough already!

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’m thinking just get rid of Detroit’s franchise. Good Lord. How many MORE years do we have to wait?! The NFL could even take the franchise from the Ford family, or do like Bull Durham and buy some fried chicken (sacrifice an animal). SOMETHING. 50+ years of futility is enough already!

Well they started by getting rid of QuanDre Diggs to the Seahawks, thank you very much!

how long you gunna be in T Oaks Mookie? It would be fun to grab a game with you while you’re in my neighborhood...

Well they started by getting rid of QuanDre Diggs to the Seahawks, thank you very much!
how long you gunna be in T Oaks Mookie? It would be fun to grab a game with you while you’re in my neighborhood...

I leave Thursday evening. I brought my clubs and have only been able to touch them over the weekend. Frustrating as I was planning on a couple nights of just going to the range. Nope, stupid “study hall” each night. Ridiculous...